• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2005 Land Rover Range Rover

7.4

Based on 212 Ratings for the 2003 - 2012 models.

7.3/10
    7.3/10

BEAUTIFUL DRIVE

By on Monday, April 28, 2008

"BEAUTIFUL CAR BUT HORRIBLE IN GAS MILEAGE -DROVE IT UP NORTH FROM SOUTHER CALI AND SPEND AS MUCH I WOULD SPEND ON A PLANE TICKET"

Oh Yeah! Rollin' the Range

By on Saturday, March 22, 2008

"My dream vehicle. Snob factor-very high. Runs beautifully and I always look forward to the walk up to it so I can get in and drive. I LOVE this vehicle. I have the Westminster 2004. It is appreciated by other drivers and the second looks you get when you are in it...like Christmas every day."

My Rover

By on Saturday, February 09, 2008

"This is my third since it was redesigned in '03. I have a 2006 with the luxury seating package. The seats are amazing! This HSE has been the best of all three I owned. I had it for 18 months and I have been back to the dealer for my routine maint. stuff only. This HSE is just awsome. A must if you can afford it and it is very safe for your loved ones!"

had 5 rovers looking for #6

By on Wednesday, January 30, 2008

"we have had 5 rovers in my family. all hse. one daugher had one, one had two, i have had 2 looking for my third. daughter had one bought an escalade. she now wants another rover. youngest daughter was rear ended in her range rover. totalled the car that hit her. did minor damage to the rover. safe, dependable, roomy, vehicles. great vehicles. we own mercedes, bentley gtc, etc...my preferred ride anywhere for comfort, reliability, function is the hse. never had a supercharged version but plan to buy one in the next 30-45 days and pass my 2007 down to oldest daughter...which means we will have 3 rovers in the family. i usually trade the cars every two years."

Check this Out !

By on Sunday, January 13, 2008

"The comfort level in this SUV is outstanding ! This Suv Handles with the same control at 150 mph as it does at 65 mph, the only way you know the difference is the white highway lines become solid. The sound system is awesome. Be careful to what music you listen to while driving, you may experience "the touching white lines effect". I see why the king of Saudi Arabia, Jordan, India, The Chinese Premire, and the Queen of England own a Range Rover HSE. The warranty could be longer like 6yr/70k. Service is friendly. Maintance is about the average cost as mercedes, BMW, and Lexus."

Great 4x4

By on Wednesday, January 02, 2008

"The 2003 is one of only 2 years where Land Rover was owned by BMW before being acquired by Ford. The Range Rover is nicely equipped with BMW features. The vehicle holds up well and feels like a fortress. Gas mileage on the other hand leaves a lot to be desired but it is fairly peppy!"

A beautiful nightmare

By on Tuesday, December 25, 2007

"weve had rotor, radiator, electrical, and mechanical issues - all of which we've been told are par for the course. its a beautiful luxury vehicle, but we have no confidence in it. it left me stranded on the side of the road one day and their road side assistance would not help me since I had the nerve to break down in a restricted zone. Avoid unless you have other things to drive."

By on Thursday, April 26, 2007

Once is Enough for me

By on Tuesday, December 30, 2008

"Love the car but it will probably be my last one. I bought a 2004 CPO with 33K on it and have driven it less that 20K miles in the past 2 two years. I was prepared for the fact that it wasn't a Honda Passport and would require greater than average maintenance but what I have gone through is pretty ridiculous. Niggling problems is one thing but issues that leave you on the side of the road are another. Since I have had the truck the following has been replaced: Both catalytic converters, cooling system, front air suspension, and both the front and rear differentials and shafts. The newest on the list is the transmission. in the 19 months that I have owned the truck it has been in the shop for a total of 3 of them. That's 15% of my ownership time! That's 3 car payments for shop time. I will admit that I love driving it and the looks are great but this is a little crazy. Any time that a modern vehicle has more problems per mile as my 1967 Alfa Duetto something is wrong."

If you can't afford it, DONT buy it.

By on Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Pros: "Beautiful, great ride, quiet"

Cons: "low gas milege, maintence cost"

"I must say I have fallen in love with Range Rovers. I am currently on my second and I can't think of any other car I would want. It does it all; it looks great and drives like a dream. I can pick up the kids, valet at a steak house, or take the boat out to the lake. That being said, I would NOT recommend this car if you cant afford at least 1000$ a year in service costs. It's just an expensive car to own. It costs about 100$ every time you pull up at the pump too. My first Range Rover (2006 HSE) was a bit of a nightmare, but it was my first luxury SUV so I dealt with it. The main problem was the computer glitch in the suspension and I had to have it flat-bedded to the dealer twice. BUT, my 2011 has been a real trooper! I have not has a single service light come on and I've had it for a little under a year now. (that's gotta be some sort of record for a land rover!) Beautiful inside and out! Love my Range Rover."

Good looking but Poor quality

By on Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Pros: "Looks Good Impressive, fun to drive"

Cons: "Never ending expensive maintenance"

"This is a great looking truck. that will spend more time in the shop than on the road. Air suspension failures are common and expensive, this model is not even recommended for off road use. BMW engine and components are over designed and prone to failure . Though this is a beautiful truck and fun to drive and be seen in; this particular model rates as one of the very worst and most expensive to maintain vehicles I have ever owned"

Do not buy

By on Friday, January 22, 2010

"This car is the best looking on the road but I do not recommend it. It always has electrical issues, not to mention other issues. If you buy from a private party make sure that you purchase a warranty. I have had it for two years and have had bills of almost $5K to fix it. I am insured so I didn't pay for it but just buyer beware."

Save your money and your sanity

By on Thursday, October 25, 2012

"I purchased this suv and in 2 weeks period decided to sell it. It was my second one( thought ill give them one more chance). You will be spending a lot more time at the mechanic than on the road and most likely a lot more money on repairing than what you paid for it. The specialist range rover himself advised me to never buy another. The water pump started leaking the next day, air shocks go bad whether you let the car sit or move much, the head gasket is known to go bad on them. I bought it, same day was at the mechanic, spent another week there, then drove it for 2 more days, was back at the mechanic again for another 3 days, then drove it for 2 more days when I decided I had enough and took a big loss and sold it. The only way to get one is brand new, from the dealer, drive it for 2 years( no more) and then return it!, then run lol. Land rover should give me a new one for the headache I went through in that 2 week period."

My Lemon Rover-Buy a Toyota Landcruiser instead

By on Friday, September 25, 2009

"I own both a Toyota Landcruiser (2000) as well as a 2006 Rage Rover. The Landcruiser has 220,000 miles on it with no significant repairs to date (just normal maintenance) Unbeatable in bad weather, a true Land Crusher. I would take this vehicle anywhere on the globe and feel safe. My Rover has an electrical problem that mysteriously powers off the vehicle completely (Randomly has happened twice since I owned it) Then the dealer can not fix or explain. On top of this........THE ENGINE BLEW UP at 72k miles with no warning light indications!!!!!!! a $10,000 repair!!!!!!! I am afraid to take this vehicle more than 15 miles from my house for fear of the next time I am stranded on the side of the road for 3 hours late at night with Tractor Trailers zooming by at 75 miles per hour. If you have money and time to burn ( Every repair or visit is ridiculously expensive- wipers are $300.00) This is your vehicle. I do not like to complain normally, but I wish more people would have spoken up when I was looking. Once I had one, I would hear the same from strangers in parking lots all over the place that wanted to share their pain. Too bad, it is a striking looking SUV, but it needs to be able to run."

DO NOT BUY ONE!

By on Monday, August 22, 2011

Pros: "Handing, comfort, and design."

Cons: "Peeling door handles and interior trim, mechanical and electrical problems."

"Within the last 1400 miles we had to put a new transmission in it and a new steering column. The transmission was $7,000.00 and the column was almost $3,000.00. I am very disappointed with this vehicle! We have owned several BMW's in the past and never had issues like this. Other past issues: peeling interior panels (around the window and mirror controls), and exterior door handles. Air bag light. Oil leaks. Coolent leaks. Window and lock issues. Rear view exterior mirrors dis-coloring. The dash lights are also starting to fade where the mileage shows up. From what I understand this is a common issue but shouldnt be. The only 2 good things I can say: Love the way it drives and handles! The stereo also sounds great!"

2004 Range Rover HSE

By on Friday, August 30, 2013

Pros: "Awesome vehicle to 4WD"

Cons: "Doesnt have auto head lights, thats the only thing"

"I have owned this vehicle for 3 years now. I have preformed the required maintenance. changing the oil a 5000 miles. I will not wait 15000 for any car. I have used the AWD many times out in the desert and have never been let down. This is the most comfortable SUV i have ever owned and will not sell this vehicle ever. I will buy a newer model and keep this. I have owner over 35 cars in my life time and this by far is one of the best."

BEST SUV PERIOD!

By on Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Pros: "Looks, Off Road Capability, Features, Comfort"

Cons: "GAS!, Stupid Cup Holder, Dated Navigation"

"I have had my 2006 Range Rover for about a year now and I love it. I have not had any major problems with mine and it has 80,000 miles. Unlike most owners I have actually taken mine off road. A lot. And not just dirt trails but I have taken her through some real precarious situations. I would be perfectly comfortable going up against a Rubicon any day. As far as value goes you can not find a more beautiful SUV for such a good price when looking used. I think it is important to make sure you get yours checked out before you buy a used one. I was fortunate enough to have my mechanic tell me that it was the cleanest Rover he had seen in a long time. After everything I have read i have found that reliability is hit or miss. After 80,000 miles the only thing I can complain about is the drivers seat not heating up. Other than that it is the most incredible car I have owned and for someone who buys 2 new cars a year that is saying quite a lot!"

Why Me?

By on Wednesday, January 14, 2009

"Be prepared for the RR to be in the shop. If its not under warranty, be prepared to get "worked" by the dealership. Good looking car, but a lot of issues."

Costly Service

By on Sunday, December 18, 2011

Pros: "Most comfortable and solid car I've ever owned."

Cons: "Service costs are through the roof."

"The best car I've ever driven. The upkeep is killing me. $1300 for a tune up, $1000 new tires, $1000 brakes and on and on.... Plus, at $100 for a fill up it's getting a little tedious."

Great Vehicle / Service cost out of this world

By on Saturday, January 07, 2012

Pros: "great car to drive"

Cons: "service cost on older models"

"I luv the vehicle, great ride, long distance no problem, Impressive vehicle in and out But when dealing with an older model out of warranty beware, service cost could lead you to the poor house, I have yet to walk out of the dealership with a Bill under 1K and some as high as 3K easily Even if you can find an independent repair guy, all he /she can do is save you on the labor; parts still come from land rover at full price at least in the USA"

Quiet Comfortable Highway Cruiser

By on Friday, August 19, 2011

Pros: "Power, comfort, quiet, features, versatility on and off road"

Cons: "not as much cargo room as you would think, gas mileage"

"I have had several SUV's but bought this in 2009 because I do a lot of highway miles and wanted a truck with some power. Jackpot! It cruises comfortably and quietly at 70 MPH and is capable of much more. On the twisties, the "SPORT" mode on the excellent transmission transforms the car to a competent touring machine - at the price of some economy. Not many drivers know that the "SPORT" mode also adjusts the suspension, not just the shift points. I had very few issues, but a shock did fail at around 15K miles fixed in warranty. No gremlins other than that. Yes, it is expensive to service and satisfy its thirst. In exchange you get an unbeatable combination of highway cruiser, winter wonderland explorer and power - lots of power. I sometimes think of a change, but can't think of a single vehicle on the market that can match it, let alone beat it in the race for my wallet. If they came out with a diesel I would buy it for the economy."

Love my Range Rover

By on Monday, November 09, 2009

"I needed to replace my Lexus GX470--a terrific vehicle--and I wanted something more upscale. I test drove the MB GL and the new LX, and neither could compare with the look and feel of the RR. The GL had neither leather seating nor Bluetooth standard, for nearly 70K !!! The interior of the RR is one of the best I've seen, and the Harman Kardon stereo is phenomenal (710 Watts). The LX is a great ride, but it lacked the RR's feeling of substance, classiness and craftsmanship, IMHO. As far as reliability, I've had my RR for a little over a year and I've not had a single problem -- I hope this continues. The RR has a feeling of safety and solidity, and I wouldn't have my family in anything else. I joked with my salesperson, saying that, "it should be illegal to sell these things because once you've owned one, you'll never be happy with anything else"."

Quality, stylish vehicle

By on Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Pros: "Fit, finish, comfort, performance"

Cons: "Dealer maintenance costs"

"My 2007 with 49 K miles has held its value better than other luxury cars I've owned. The fit and finish of the interior is un-matched in a vehicle of its class. Dealer maintenance is expensive but that's to be expected for a Range Rover. The only thing that went when it was out of warranty, was a $ 3,200 A/C compressor/condenser and that went two months after I'd purchased a 3 year extended warranty (which of course, paid for itself right there). I'll buy another in a few years - meanwhile there's still many more miles to be had from this vehicle."

Dig a hole dump your money

By on Sunday, January 17, 2010

"I have a preowned 2004 HSE loved it when I brought it home then a month later I take it for the point inspection the belts were 500 to replace another 500 to add the towing lights two month later 1200 new tires, three months after that 2000 on breaks and not to mention that the radiator blew due to the temp control, the battery died and it's 200 for that to top all that off the suspention went out three times with no explanation and now today it is back at the dealorship since it is miss firing and the oil is leeking into the engine. Buying an extended warrenty is a good idea but it doesn't cover brakes 2K, tires 2K ect. Also they dont come with locking lug nuts so look out those are 240 if you happen to get one without the navigation CD oops outta luck again be ready to fork over 200 bucks for those. I am fixing it and dumping it. It cost more than my house payments."

Costly Repairs, not very reliable

By on Tuesday, October 02, 2007

"First three years the vehicle was great! Afterwards, problem after problem! Don't know if it's the service performed on the vehicle or the actual car. Repair costs are outragous! The car is beautiful but prepare to spend if you plan to keep. It's also difficult to schedule appointments to take the car in for service, the wait time for appts. is ridiculous. And don't expect to get you car back soon when it's in for service. A minor replacement part can take over one week for installation. Wouldn't have bought the car if I had known."