2001 Land Rover Range Rover

7.3

Based on 119 Ratings for the 1995 - 2002 models.

7.6/10
    7.2/10

good family vehicle

By on Monday, August 06, 2007

"This suv is a great family car and is extremely safe."

Wife's Vehicle,she loves it

By on Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Pros: "Wife loves it. When Mamas not happy, nobody is happy !"

Cons: "Dealer 125 - miles away. Not many people know how to service vehicle."

"Just bought wife new BMW X5 Premium,she wants to sell X5 and keep OLD ROVER. What more can I say."

owner

By on Tuesday, April 06, 2010

"the best vehicle I have every owned"

By on Sunday, December 27, 2009

Solid Transportation

By on Wednesday, September 16, 2009

"Purchased vehicle used with 84000 miles. Have owned it for five years. Was and is in near new condition. Knew vehicles maintenance reputation.Have replaced tensioner, battery ,heater o-rings and thermostat myself. Repairs can be costly at dealers. YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND THAT GOING IN. Online forms are a great source of information. Used they require a lot of TLC."

good truck

By on Sunday, December 07, 2008

"had one for 10 yrs, bought it new. had some issues while under warantee, standard 2 yr. been very reliable since. I think it is a great car and the classic suv. it started the trend"

CLASSY AND COMFORTABLE

By on Wednesday, July 09, 2008

"VERY CLASSY AND COMFORTABLE. THE MOST SNOBBISH OFFROAD BEAST I HAVE EVER TAKEN THROUGH THE WOODS. NOT FOR HEAVY TOWING LIKE A LARGE BOAT OR CAMPER."

The Vehicle is Excellent

By on Wednesday, March 26, 2008

"Overall it is an excellent driving car. With it's own built in GPS. Rides and handles well. Negitive side is poor gas mileage 18 on highway, 13 city."

By on Tuesday, January 29, 2008

By on Friday, January 04, 2008

the rover

By on Thursday, November 08, 2007

"great ride smooth comfortable handles extremely well, the issues.... gas and expensive to fix would definately buy another one!"

x5

By on Wednesday, September 19, 2007

"love it"

graet truck

By on Monday, August 20, 2007

"need to improve the reliability on air shocks, system."

is worth the money

By on Thursday, August 09, 2007

"nothing like a range rover"

Unless you are a mechanic....

By on Wednesday, January 26, 2011

"I will lend some insight as a mechanic AND also an owner of several different Land Rovers. I would NOT sell one to someone I had a relationship with, no matter how good the condition was without first explaining the fact that these vehicles in general are very prone to maintenance issues and expensive to repair. Further, not a lot of shops will work on them. The software interface is proprietary for most of the systems which means you will end up at the dealer or a specialized shop like mine where the correct software to access and work on the various systems like BCEM or the ABS or TCM etc can be interfaced. Even the suspension has to be interfaced with special software. The engine is a 60's era variant GM all aluminum V8 and subject to head gasket failures, heater core problems and climate control issues are abundant. The air bag system for the suspension is very picky and prone to issues. The window regulators split and crack with regularity. Electrical issues abound and ALL Land Rovers leak copious amounts of oil. A mechanic not used to the underside of a Land Rover will be shocked the first time one rolls in with 60K miles on it, they are a greasy oily mess. Mileage is at about 12 mpg making it quite the gas hog. Although it has an aluminum engine, aluminum body panels (most) and other features to lighten the vehicle, it's overall weight is high. Further, a lot of the creature comforts like heated seats will fail and need to be fixed. The early models of the P-38 (this model shown) are more problematic in some ways and there are two engine options. the 4 liter or 4.6 liter which is the same engine that's been bored and stroked differently. niether is going to push you back in the seat. The later models have more amenities and thus more high dollar failure items. If you want to see a vehicle depreciate, I read that the Land Rover leads the pack in depreciation. All that said, it's a very safe vehicle and having hit a large deer at freeway speeds head on, I was never even in danger, and drove it home. The discovery, it's little brother, also shares the same motor and a lot of the same features, along with the same problems. The early RR's have the GEMS engine management system which is cheaper to maintain and work on while the mid 99 on have the Bosch engine management system and frankly, I don't feel a difference from the drivers perspective. They are absolutely useless in the snow and ice with the 18" highway tires but with chains they are very good on bad roads. The 16" wheels, though not as "sexy" are the better choice. All in all, be ready to be very good on maintenance and get a good mechanic familiar with the vehicle. Don't expect to have it as an economy vehicle and really accept the fact you are buying something that is more "status" than sturdy. I love them but I repair them for a living. I just had to rebuild most of my engine last month and mine had 90K on it. Not for the person on a budget.... I would not own one unless I enjoyed problem solving and appreciated the positive things about the vehicle."

Very luxurious and goes anywhere

By on Wednesday, January 07, 2009

"I bought my 2001 4.6 HSE over 2 years ago with around 45,000 miles on it with an extended warranty up to 70,000 miles. It now has over 80,000 miles and runs great. Had all major repairs done before warranty expired and have had no problems since. Definitely get one that still has extended warranty and the vehicle thoroughly checked out before the warranty expires. I paid $100 for a new radiator, $100 for air accumulator, $100 for air compressor that could have cost $1,500 if I had not had the extended warranty. You should expect to pay $1,000 a year in repairs with no warranty but find a certified repair mechanic and you can get labor rates 3/4's of what you would pay at the dealer. All my repairs come with a 12,000 mile waranty. It has no leaks and drives like a dream. You will love this SUV but expect to fill er up every 250 miles. Once one of my repairs has been done, I have not had to address the same issue again (great and honest mechanic I have). The Granny gear lockers will take you anywhere. Air suspension is still perfect after 80,000 miles. Do normal maintenance with synthetic oil and this engine should last another 100,000 miles. Just make sure you find a certified, non dealer, trustworthy mechanic and you will be set. My average gas mileage is 14 to 15 miles per gallon. Keep the moving parts lubricated and you will avoid replacing many parts. May go to coil springs if the EAS goes out. If you buy a used one, definitely have it checked out and make sure you have all receipts."

ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS CAR!!!

By on Monday, December 10, 2012

Pros: "luxurious 4 wheel drive for date nite and play"

Cons: "Somewhat pricey repairs otherwise none"

"I bought my Range Rover at an auction because it had low miles and I needed a four wheel drive to pull boats and jet skis. I have not been disappointed and it has rapidly become my vehicle of choice for everything. The mpg are not any worse than your std SUV or 4-wheel drive truck. Maintenance is a little pricey but you an find most parts on the internet or junk yards for a reasonable amount. I can take this car places I could never take my truck or jeeps. It is very luxurious and has all kinds of bells and whistles that my spouse likes and the utility that I enjoy. It has immaculate interior design with climate control and heated leather seats, GPS on and off road, my air bags suspension system were converted to air shocks and springs and a lift added with over sized premium tires ect. Initially it had a lot of alarms and lights going off when I first got it but all of those are worked out now. Absolutely an amazing vehicle!!! It is a special outdoors man vehicle. I was a little scared I had gotten myself into a mess when I first started pricing parts but thanks to the internet i found a great vehicle for an even better bargain than I could have imagined."

underrated

By on Tuesday, July 01, 2008

"LAnd Rover gets so much bad hype. Are their vehicles problematic, especially when you look at the sticker price? Sure, a little but they also get an unfair rap. I have owned 4 Land Rovers, 3 Rangies and a Discovery and I have had very little trouble with any of mine. My current model is a 2000 Range Rover HSE 4.0. I have never had any problems with this truck and its on 45000 miles. Its had some very minor electrical work and very minor suspension adjustment that cost hardly anything. Other than the complete tune-up and regular oil changes at 7,500 using full synthetic Mobil-1 this Rover has been perfect. I have owned so many SUV's so I have a lot to compare. As far as overall performance this Range Rover beats out the competition by a large margin. In terms of on-oad comfort the Rover drives wonderfully. The 4.0 power plant does its job, but its not as powerful as some other SUV's. But I never feel like its lacking as it has plenty of torque. Body lean is very good for a big, heavy SUV and is far better than my past SUV's like my Toyota, Land Cruiser, Mitsubishi, Montero, Mercedes M-Class, and Izusu, Trooper. Only the Land Cruiser rivals the Rover in front seat comfort and the Mercedes rivals in on-road performance. But, off-road, the Land Rover really is superior over all other SUV and easily takes terrain that some of those other SUV's can't even think about. Handling is as good as it gets, aside from perhaps the BMW X5 and of course, pedigree and brand name is unmatched. If you take care of your Rover and maintain it like its suppose to be maintained, it will treat you well."

Great car, just don't expect great reliability.

By on Monday, January 28, 2013

Pros: "comfort, function, awesome in bad road conditions"

Cons: "Leaks, expensive to maintain and repair"

"Disclaimer: my rating matches how i think this car compares to others, not my feelings toward the car. Bought my 2000 Range Rover HSK 4.6 used and have had it for five years. I love it to death for some reason even though its given me trouble over the years. I wouldn't recommend a rover to anyone that doesn't plan on maintaining it themselves unless they have a pile of money they're itching to burn though. I've done all the work on mine myself and it's been a bit spendy just for parts, couldn't imagine what shop costs would have added up to by now. WHAT I LIKE: its very comfortable and functional. No pointless luxury items like a lot of luxury cars that you have no use for. Has great features that make it amazing in bad driving conditions like snow and sand including the fact that it weighs a lot for it's size. Resale value is terrible; yes I see this as a pro since I got my childhood dream car for almost a tenth of what it retails new. WHAT I DONT LIKE: LEAKS! Pretty much every thing that contains something has leaked or is leaking since it was built. It's what British cars do though. So I've spent a fair bit of time and some money chasing leaks. If it's not a major leak "stop leak" products are my good friend. I've started keeping stop leaks in the oil and coolant at all times regardless of a known leak or not. A lot of people seem to have trouble with the air suspension, but I have been lucky/ proactive in that area. I had one air bag start leaking and just went ahead and switched all four to the gen 3 bags that have a bit better ride and claim to last much longer. FINAL WORDS: I love it... I probably shouldn't for all the trouble its given me including what's mentioned above, both front door latches failing, and going through an alternator, but I do. Maybe I just have a weird attachment to my vehicles, but I don't look forward to getting rid of this one like I'm currently debating."

Nice truck

By on Friday, July 13, 2007

"I had my 2002 Range Rover for 3 years I bought it with 22K mil now I have about 43500 mil on it, no problems at all. the only thing I had to do is new battery, I was in Iraq for 9 months so the car did not move. its good in the snow, and it has good power too. I will get the new RR next year I hope. I know people say bad things about RR but you need to read about them they are not your normal truck, this is a real SUV!"

If it's Good Enough for Her Majesty....

By on Monday, March 19, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, comfort and versatility"

Cons: "Air Suspension can get wonky, electrical issues"

"A RR is the epitome of "command seating" and whereas it has it's electrical issues and odd problems (air suspension, climate control) it is still a wonderful ride. Most LR/RR owners I know love and adore their trucks and will spend an inordinate amount of money... but I have put 80K miles on the vehicle, earning a solid 20mpg and have replaced $2000 in repairs over an 8 year period... you do the math. .... and all the while I had the safest, most fun of any one on the road.... we call ours the "magnificent beast".... Does it leak? Of course... "it is a British design feature.. it insures you know you still have oil in the car..""

95 RRC SW~Looks,drives great after all these years

By on Sunday, November 25, 2012

Pros: "Design,Harmon Kardon Ster,interior/exterior color"

Cons: "Likes to leak oil~"

1995 RRC County Beluga Black

"I have in my opinion the best Range Rover Classic ever, a 1995 RRC County in Beluga Black. It's been an extremely reliable rig, ofcourse not without it's proper maintenance such as oil and filter changes and preventive details to ensure it keeps running smooth. Sure, I've replaced and repaired lil things that break off, etc... This timeless beauty is a "rolling project or restoration" as of now,meaning replace suspension components, respray, headliner etc...Suspension has been converted to coil springs and has new Borla exhaust system, which surprisingly gives me 21-22MPG on freeway. Just know, any vintage vehicle will need money put in, if it is to be running and looking it's best!"

1995 RRC County Beluga Black

love it!

By on Monday, October 31, 2011

Pros: "safety ride look"

Cons: "mpg"

"I own a 02 RR and have to say i love it!It looks and rides great never had any major problems ! MPG is the only flaw to this car. my wife toataled it the other day her and the kids walked away scratch free !The saftey of the R.R.is like no other!Im looking for another as we speak!"

great quality

By on Sunday, July 08, 2007

"you truly get what you pay for and more it,s really worth it to buy a car like this it,s so smart so dependable so land rover quality it deserves it,s name"

70k - 100k Breakdowns

By on Saturday, October 13, 2007

"Great car to drive and feels strong but needs an additional $6,000 to $10,000 in repairs after the 70k milage point. EAS Faults Parking Break Sticking Valve Block Heating O Rings Heater Core AC Condensor Tires Possible Transmisson problems"