1999 Land Rover Range Rover

7.3

Based on 119 Ratings for the 1995 - 2002 models.

7.6/10
    7.2/10

It's a Land Rover...

By on Friday, January 11, 2008

"I've owned two P38 RRs, and had a love-hate relationship with both. Typical Land Rover issues...electric problems, SRS faults, ride height problems. My 2002 is a waaaay better truck than my 1998, and both have been waaay fun to drive both on and off road. I'm pretty sure I'll be driving this RR for several more years."

Best Off-Road Luxury SUV

By on Friday, October 12, 2007

"I bought my 2000 Range Rover SUV and it is the most comfortable SUV I have ever riden in. There have been a few very minor mechanical problemes but everything was covered under extended warranty which I recommend getting. Gets up to 17 mpg on highway and plows through all off-road conditions. I would recommend this 4X4 to anyone. Great luxury off-road vehicle"

Good Value for an awesome 4wd

By on Friday, September 14, 2007

"I got a great value on a used 1996 Rover this car is a beast and is excellent for long drives. Although can be expensive on gas and ongoing maintenance."

By on Sunday, August 26, 2007

"u better own a gas station to keep it full! breaks down all the time!!!"

By on Wednesday, August 22, 2007

"This is my second range rover (1999 and 2002) both have been maintenance hogs. Why have two because they are marvalous vehicles just expensive to keep going. Don't buy without a warrenty then you can drive a new loaner more than your car."

Great Vehicle, Great Value

By on Monday, August 20, 2007

"We love our Rover. The air suspension can be expensive, but buy an after-market warranty for some peace of mind. This car is the most utilitarian vehicle I've ever owned. Perfect for ski trips, mountain biking trips, hiking, moving furniture, long road trips, etc..."

good family vehicle

By on Monday, August 06, 2007

"This suv is a great family car and is extremely safe."

it is the nicest vehicle i've ever owned

By on Sunday, December 04, 2011

Pros: "great to drive, very comfortable"

Cons: "too small for ice fishing and hunting gear"

parked in driveway

"i love driving this vehicle. always has power when i need it. the seats wrap me up and keep me comfortable with heat when its cold, fully adjustable electronic. provided enough leg for me and passengers over 6' tall. good sound system. trunk space has enough room for 4 sets of golf clubs and a small cooler without being visible from the rear windows. the ride is always smooth and no surprises in the road. never drove off road other than compacted sand and gravel roads, it behaved very nicely."

parked in driveway

Wife's Vehicle,she loves it

By on Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Pros: "Wife loves it. When Mamas not happy, nobody is happy !"

Cons: "Dealer 125 - miles away. Not many people know how to service vehicle."

"Just bought wife new BMW X5 Premium,she wants to sell X5 and keep OLD ROVER. What more can I say."

owner

By on Tuesday, April 06, 2010

"the best vehicle I have every owned"

By on Sunday, December 27, 2009

Solid Transportation

By on Wednesday, September 16, 2009

"Purchased vehicle used with 84000 miles. Have owned it for five years. Was and is in near new condition. Knew vehicles maintenance reputation.Have replaced tensioner, battery ,heater o-rings and thermostat myself. Repairs can be costly at dealers. YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND THAT GOING IN. Online forms are a great source of information. Used they require a lot of TLC."

good truck

By on Sunday, December 07, 2008

"had one for 10 yrs, bought it new. had some issues while under warantee, standard 2 yr. been very reliable since. I think it is a great car and the classic suv. it started the trend"

CLASSY AND COMFORTABLE

By on Wednesday, July 09, 2008

"VERY CLASSY AND COMFORTABLE. THE MOST SNOBBISH OFFROAD BEAST I HAVE EVER TAKEN THROUGH THE WOODS. NOT FOR HEAVY TOWING LIKE A LARGE BOAT OR CAMPER."

The Vehicle is Excellent

By on Wednesday, March 26, 2008

"Overall it is an excellent driving car. With it's own built in GPS. Rides and handles well. Negitive side is poor gas mileage 18 on highway, 13 city."

By on Friday, January 04, 2008

the rover

By on Thursday, November 08, 2007

"great ride smooth comfortable handles extremely well, the issues.... gas and expensive to fix would definately buy another one!"

x5

By on Wednesday, September 19, 2007

"love it"

graet truck

By on Monday, August 20, 2007

"need to improve the reliability on air shocks, system."

is worth the money

By on Thursday, August 09, 2007

"nothing like a range rover"

Unless you are a mechanic....

By on Wednesday, January 26, 2011

"I will lend some insight as a mechanic AND also an owner of several different Land Rovers. I would NOT sell one to someone I had a relationship with, no matter how good the condition was without first explaining the fact that these vehicles in general are very prone to maintenance issues and expensive to repair. Further, not a lot of shops will work on them. The software interface is proprietary for most of the systems which means you will end up at the dealer or a specialized shop like mine where the correct software to access and work on the various systems like BCEM or the ABS or TCM etc can be interfaced. Even the suspension has to be interfaced with special software. The engine is a 60's era variant GM all aluminum V8 and subject to head gasket failures, heater core problems and climate control issues are abundant. The air bag system for the suspension is very picky and prone to issues. The window regulators split and crack with regularity. Electrical issues abound and ALL Land Rovers leak copious amounts of oil. A mechanic not used to the underside of a Land Rover will be shocked the first time one rolls in with 60K miles on it, they are a greasy oily mess. Mileage is at about 12 mpg making it quite the gas hog. Although it has an aluminum engine, aluminum body panels (most) and other features to lighten the vehicle, it's overall weight is high. Further, a lot of the creature comforts like heated seats will fail and need to be fixed. The early models of the P-38 (this model shown) are more problematic in some ways and there are two engine options. the 4 liter or 4.6 liter which is the same engine that's been bored and stroked differently. niether is going to push you back in the seat. The later models have more amenities and thus more high dollar failure items. If you want to see a vehicle depreciate, I read that the Land Rover leads the pack in depreciation. All that said, it's a very safe vehicle and having hit a large deer at freeway speeds head on, I was never even in danger, and drove it home. The discovery, it's little brother, also shares the same motor and a lot of the same features, along with the same problems. The early RR's have the GEMS engine management system which is cheaper to maintain and work on while the mid 99 on have the Bosch engine management system and frankly, I don't feel a difference from the drivers perspective. They are absolutely useless in the snow and ice with the 18" highway tires but with chains they are very good on bad roads. The 16" wheels, though not as "sexy" are the better choice. All in all, be ready to be very good on maintenance and get a good mechanic familiar with the vehicle. Don't expect to have it as an economy vehicle and really accept the fact you are buying something that is more "status" than sturdy. I love them but I repair them for a living. I just had to rebuild most of my engine last month and mine had 90K on it. Not for the person on a budget.... I would not own one unless I enjoyed problem solving and appreciated the positive things about the vehicle."

Very luxurious and goes anywhere

By on Wednesday, January 07, 2009

"I bought my 2001 4.6 HSE over 2 years ago with around 45,000 miles on it with an extended warranty up to 70,000 miles. It now has over 80,000 miles and runs great. Had all major repairs done before warranty expired and have had no problems since. Definitely get one that still has extended warranty and the vehicle thoroughly checked out before the warranty expires. I paid $100 for a new radiator, $100 for air accumulator, $100 for air compressor that could have cost $1,500 if I had not had the extended warranty. You should expect to pay $1,000 a year in repairs with no warranty but find a certified repair mechanic and you can get labor rates 3/4's of what you would pay at the dealer. All my repairs come with a 12,000 mile waranty. It has no leaks and drives like a dream. You will love this SUV but expect to fill er up every 250 miles. Once one of my repairs has been done, I have not had to address the same issue again (great and honest mechanic I have). The Granny gear lockers will take you anywhere. Air suspension is still perfect after 80,000 miles. Do normal maintenance with synthetic oil and this engine should last another 100,000 miles. Just make sure you find a certified, non dealer, trustworthy mechanic and you will be set. My average gas mileage is 14 to 15 miles per gallon. Keep the moving parts lubricated and you will avoid replacing many parts. May go to coil springs if the EAS goes out. If you buy a used one, definitely have it checked out and make sure you have all receipts."

Great car, just don't expect great reliability.

By on Monday, January 28, 2013

Pros: "comfort, function, awesome in bad road conditions"

Cons: "Leaks, expensive to maintain and repair"

"Disclaimer: my rating matches how i think this car compares to others, not my feelings toward the car. Bought my 2000 Range Rover HSK 4.6 used and have had it for five years. I love it to death for some reason even though its given me trouble over the years. I wouldn't recommend a rover to anyone that doesn't plan on maintaining it themselves unless they have a pile of money they're itching to burn though. I've done all the work on mine myself and it's been a bit spendy just for parts, couldn't imagine what shop costs would have added up to by now. WHAT I LIKE: its very comfortable and functional. No pointless luxury items like a lot of luxury cars that you have no use for. Has great features that make it amazing in bad driving conditions like snow and sand including the fact that it weighs a lot for it's size. Resale value is terrible; yes I see this as a pro since I got my childhood dream car for almost a tenth of what it retails new. WHAT I DONT LIKE: LEAKS! Pretty much every thing that contains something has leaked or is leaking since it was built. It's what British cars do though. So I've spent a fair bit of time and some money chasing leaks. If it's not a major leak "stop leak" products are my good friend. I've started keeping stop leaks in the oil and coolant at all times regardless of a known leak or not. A lot of people seem to have trouble with the air suspension, but I have been lucky/ proactive in that area. I had one air bag start leaking and just went ahead and switched all four to the gen 3 bags that have a bit better ride and claim to last much longer. FINAL WORDS: I love it... I probably shouldn't for all the trouble its given me including what's mentioned above, both front door latches failing, and going through an alternator, but I do. Maybe I just have a weird attachment to my vehicles, but I don't look forward to getting rid of this one like I'm currently debating."

ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS CAR!!!

By on Monday, December 10, 2012

Pros: "luxurious 4 wheel drive for date nite and play"

Cons: "Somewhat pricey repairs otherwise none"

"I bought my Range Rover at an auction because it had low miles and I needed a four wheel drive to pull boats and jet skis. I have not been disappointed and it has rapidly become my vehicle of choice for everything. The mpg are not any worse than your std SUV or 4-wheel drive truck. Maintenance is a little pricey but you an find most parts on the internet or junk yards for a reasonable amount. I can take this car places I could never take my truck or jeeps. It is very luxurious and has all kinds of bells and whistles that my spouse likes and the utility that I enjoy. It has immaculate interior design with climate control and heated leather seats, GPS on and off road, my air bags suspension system were converted to air shocks and springs and a lift added with over sized premium tires ect. Initially it had a lot of alarms and lights going off when I first got it but all of those are worked out now. Absolutely an amazing vehicle!!! It is a special outdoors man vehicle. I was a little scared I had gotten myself into a mess when I first started pricing parts but thanks to the internet i found a great vehicle for an even better bargain than I could have imagined."

underrated

By on Tuesday, July 01, 2008

"LAnd Rover gets so much bad hype. Are their vehicles problematic, especially when you look at the sticker price? Sure, a little but they also get an unfair rap. I have owned 4 Land Rovers, 3 Rangies and a Discovery and I have had very little trouble with any of mine. My current model is a 2000 Range Rover HSE 4.0. I have never had any problems with this truck and its on 45000 miles. Its had some very minor electrical work and very minor suspension adjustment that cost hardly anything. Other than the complete tune-up and regular oil changes at 7,500 using full synthetic Mobil-1 this Rover has been perfect. I have owned so many SUV's so I have a lot to compare. As far as overall performance this Range Rover beats out the competition by a large margin. In terms of on-oad comfort the Rover drives wonderfully. The 4.0 power plant does its job, but its not as powerful as some other SUV's. But I never feel like its lacking as it has plenty of torque. Body lean is very good for a big, heavy SUV and is far better than my past SUV's like my Toyota, Land Cruiser, Mitsubishi, Montero, Mercedes M-Class, and Izusu, Trooper. Only the Land Cruiser rivals the Rover in front seat comfort and the Mercedes rivals in on-road performance. But, off-road, the Land Rover really is superior over all other SUV and easily takes terrain that some of those other SUV's can't even think about. Handling is as good as it gets, aside from perhaps the BMW X5 and of course, pedigree and brand name is unmatched. If you take care of your Rover and maintain it like its suppose to be maintained, it will treat you well."