• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

1999 Land Rover Range Rover

7.3

Based on 118 Ratings for the 1995 - 2002 models.

7.6/10
    7.2/10

GREAT CAR FOR THE MONEY

By on Thursday, October 28, 2010

"if you want to go out there and buy a 80,000 dollar car, it should be perfect. however, i was not willing to do that, i bought this car for 9,000 i've driven it through some horrible snow storms, flash floods, through washed out roads. Everything mother nature has thrown at me i've driven through. My 2000 range rover has never let me down. When i first bought it, it has sports tires, and i drove it through a winter with no problem. The next winter i bought snow tires,and never took them off, no problems in the summer either. For the money it is the most capable car out there. Not only that though, but it has style, and class. It looks good on a dry sunny day. You can pull up to the club and still get people saying wow thats a nice car. When i was in high school, people used to think i payed 20k for my red range rover. It has a great ride to it, and has always been there for me. My only recommendation is that you research the car out before you buy it and make sure you are getting the right deal and the right car, after that go have fun. One last thing i would like to add is that living in the city, you need the handling and acceleration to get through traffic, i am an aggressive driver. I have never gotten in an accident with my range rover, the way it handles itself through traffic is amazing. It gets you to where you need to go with grace. Then when your on the highway, just open it up and let it rip, its fast. It gets up there into triple digits with ease, and it does so keeping its handling at par. It is truly a great car for the money."

Real SUV

By on Friday, December 18, 2009

"My 2001 4.6 HSE is the most solid and sturdy 4x4 SUV I have ever ridden in. Bought in 2007 with 50,000 miles on it. Runs solid but here is what I recommend very highly. Get extended warranty. Issues - air suspension went out at 85,000 miles. New air suspension would run $3K to $4K. Definitely convert to coil springs with 1-inch lift and Old Man Emu shocks. I find the ride way smoother with springs. Multi disk CD just broke. Have had to replace the following from 50,000 to 100,000miles - suspension, air accumulator, radiator, battery, pads, rotars, valve cover gasket. You get my point - super high maintence but none of these should ever need to be repalced again except pads, battery and rotars. Bottom line - most stylish, comfortable,dominant, classy off road vehicle ever but be prepared to spend $1,000 to $2,000 a year in this love affair."

Not Impressed

By on Thursday, September 03, 2009

"Every day that goes by I wish I had bought a Lexus 470 or similar. This car's quality problems are monumental. I have spent enough in repair on this car to buy a new Kia, what a nightmare."

RR

By on Tuesday, February 26, 2008

"I have had this vehicle for 4 years and I love it, definitely have to repair it often though ...he are the things I repaired so far Radiator, Rotors after 4Ok, Wheel hub assembly, Both rear air shocks, ac condensor, several faults that had to be reset, oxygen sensors there are 4, and a lot of stupid little things.....but In the plus everyone looks at you like your royalty when you drive in one....I will prolly keep this truck for the winter but would not buy another, to many repair bills and a supreme gas guzzzler that only takes premium................AHHHHHHHHHHHH"

The ultimate SUV

By on Friday, December 14, 2007

"This is one of the toughest trucks ever made. It looks classy, rides great and will go where a goat cannot. Maintenance is critical but has not been a big issue. (Once put an $800 alternator on! Yikes!) Over about 7 years it has been extremely dependable. With 149,000 it is starting to look mangy but keeps running great. Cheapest way into the range rover family and still get the good stuff. Gas mileage beyond miserable. If you are looking for fuel mileage, buy two Trans Ams and a Nissan pickup. Together they will be cheaper to feed."

Monopoly

By on Monday, August 30, 2010

"I think I've paid double the purchase price for my Rover in repairs. It's ridiculous. I LOVE the Rovers, but won't ever buy one again. The dealership is the only place to get it worked on. It seems Land Rover won't share their product manual. Smart on their part. Bad for the consumer. My advice would be not to buy one (which is extremely painful to say)."

a nice classy SUV

By on Friday, February 01, 2008

"this is an SUV that is not for every one . If you just wanna drive through a winter storm then you better go GM, Ford, or japanese . Why I say that because this one is a class by itself . Rovers go by generations not years . so this is the 2nd generation Range Rover . I love the off road capabilities that it has . the comfort issue is very subjective . Its for sure not that comfortable . windows are very panoramic , wood trim and leather are great . the muti color steering wheel is so unique . Now the negatives : a true gas guzzler, very slow from 0-60 .Thats it 1"

Good When Not Broke

By on Sunday, December 23, 2007

"When everything is working, this is a great vehicle. Since it spends several days in the shop each month, having a second vehicle to drive is a definite plus. Items that last 100K mi on US cars last 50k on a RR. One good thing is how solid a RR is; you will always come out the winner in a collision. Just make sure repairs are done at a certified RR shop or it will never be right again."

MONEY PIT

By on Monday, August 02, 2010

"I've had my 2000 Range Rover 4.6 HSE for 5 months and have put $4,000 into it. So far I have rebuilt the transmission and the torque convertor ($3,200) It's now in the shop as we speak for ball joints ($750)the clock even works when it feels like it, it's always something. Luckily I know a great rover specialist in town. I love this car seriously, but thats a lot to spend on a car that has 130k miles on it. Runs great though. Be prepared to spend at least 3K per year in maint. It has previously had the EAS system removed and converted to coil overs and rides great. I'm pondering about getting a differend car asap but I'm upside down 4K for what it values at in excellent condition. It looks brand new inside and out. Now I know why, they are always sitting in the shop. Ugg, why do I love it so much, I't like a boyfriend that keeps letting you down, but I still love it. Brian"

Love/Hate

By on Wednesday, January 06, 2010

"Bought this vehicle 4 years ago with 72,000 on the clock. Air suspension went bit by bit ($3,200) changed to coils ($1,200) when computer gave up! Cylinder gaskets went ($4,350) Radiator leaked ($850) Brakes done ($520) Fuel pump drive broke ($850) On 3rd set of front light wipers. They just fly off!!! Now 113,250 on clock, 15MPG town, 18MPG long haul. BUT It's the Daddy of all SUVs, body & paint A1 and the ride of a life time. You just feel great sitting in this classic!!! I'll check back with you again in 87,000 miles."