1998 Land Rover Range Rover

7.3

Based on 117 Ratings for the 1995 - 2002 models.

7.6/10
    7.2/10

Extraordinary. Greatest looking SUV ever!

By on Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Pros: "Unique Utilitarian Fun Reliable GreatSoundSystem !"

Cons: "Air Suspension wouldn't work at sub-0 degrees."

"Just love this vehicle, even at 20 years old, and would prefer to keep it forever, but purchased a newer vehicle to last the rest of my life {probably another 20 years)."

Love this vehicle !

By on Monday, April 28, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, had 90,000 mi check ,Classic"

"Little old lady owner, recent total check up, new tires, classic collectible , file with info available ..has suspension system that lowers for ease of getting in and out."

An exceptional vehicle

By on Saturday, July 13, 2013

Pros: "Not many out there."

Cons: "misunderstood. yet that ensures it's eccentricity"

"Let's be honest, this is not a honda, toyota, or any other type of zero to low maintance vehicle. It's a Range Rover. Are they overpriced when new? Absolutly. Is the build quality/price ratio way out of balance? Of course. Yet it is probably one of the most under appreciated vehicles out there by people who do not understand it. Driving an older RR says a few things about you. Not 'I have a lot of money' or an inflated ego', if that were the case then you'd buy as new a one as you could afford. Driving a P38 or RRC says you're unique and a bit odd, but in a good way. You appreciate what an amazingly different vehicle it really is. You need to have the funds to keep it well maintained. But when it's maintained it's a great ride!"

Great car, just don't expect great reliability.

By on Monday, January 28, 2013

Pros: "comfort, function, awesome in bad road conditions"

Cons: "Leaks, expensive to maintain and repair"

"Disclaimer: my rating matches how i think this car compares to others, not my feelings toward the car. Bought my 2000 Range Rover HSK 4.6 used and have had it for five years. I love it to death for some reason even though its given me trouble over the years. I wouldn't recommend a rover to anyone that doesn't plan on maintaining it themselves unless they have a pile of money they're itching to burn though. I've done all the work on mine myself and it's been a bit spendy just for parts, couldn't imagine what shop costs would have added up to by now. WHAT I LIKE: its very comfortable and functional. No pointless luxury items like a lot of luxury cars that you have no use for. Has great features that make it amazing in bad driving conditions like snow and sand including the fact that it weighs a lot for it's size. Resale value is terrible; yes I see this as a pro since I got my childhood dream car for almost a tenth of what it retails new. WHAT I DONT LIKE: LEAKS! Pretty much every thing that contains something has leaked or is leaking since it was built. It's what British cars do though. So I've spent a fair bit of time and some money chasing leaks. If it's not a major leak "stop leak" products are my good friend. I've started keeping stop leaks in the oil and coolant at all times regardless of a known leak or not. A lot of people seem to have trouble with the air suspension, but I have been lucky/ proactive in that area. I had one air bag start leaking and just went ahead and switched all four to the gen 3 bags that have a bit better ride and claim to last much longer. FINAL WORDS: I love it... I probably shouldn't for all the trouble its given me including what's mentioned above, both front door latches failing, and going through an alternator, but I do. Maybe I just have a weird attachment to my vehicles, but I don't look forward to getting rid of this one like I'm currently debating."

Expensive repairs gas guzzling 5000 lb monster

By on Monday, January 28, 2013

Pros: "the awd system, interior room is spacious, luxury"

Cons: "EXPENSIVE!!! AND NOT A SINGLE CUP HOLDER"

"Yes this vehicle has had many great reviews, but heres my range rover story for the short period that it was running while i owned it. From the dealership who ripped me off, it was everything i expected and then some. A short month after, the heater core goes. Disconnected/bypassed it. Cool no heat in this 10 degree weather. Was cold but still driving. never did take it to the dealership to get an estimate for repair because i just knew it would be out of my budget. So a month after that, my compressor for my air ride suspension goes. Okay so i found a compressor for $350, ill install it myself.....what was i thinking? its a range rover, you cant install a tire valve cap yourself, everything must be done at a certified dealership who will surely charge 4 times more than what is considered "reasonable dealer pricing." Not only did the compressor burn out, but the air bags for the suspension had leaks. The estimate at the dealership was right around $2500. I dont even know why i got this expensive potential disaster. it will sit in the driveway, undriveable untill someone on craigslist decides that they want the problem"

4.0 SE Range Rover- SOOO Comfortable!

By on Saturday, January 26, 2013

Pros: "Best Safety vehicle, Most Comfort-Looks Great!"

Cons: "VERY $$$ TO FIX-Hard to find parts-GAS GUZZLER!"

"It's comfort is undeniable..Have had many high end cars and this has the most comfort. Very Expensive to fix, and most places won't touch it, unless it is a RR/LR Dealer. Parts very hard to come by- not many Parts for my model are interchangeable, only made it a couple of years..But mine being a 1995- still had more options than most luxury vehs now..Ride is very smooth once air suspension was removed (common prob in this model).SuperLock is very expensive and almost always a problem in this veh.. Finding a replacement is impossible- cannot drive or even turn the car on without it. Travels nice- but is not a quick mover, but once your moving-your moving and don't even notice it. Can pull just abt anything. IT IS A GAS GUZZLER! Just turning on the veh- I can watch the gas tank empty. But even on ice, it is so heavy- I have never had a prob, usually just break through it..It is the safest veh ever- you get in an accident- guaranteed to walk away."

ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS CAR!!!

By on Monday, December 10, 2012

Pros: "luxurious 4 wheel drive for date nite and play"

Cons: "Somewhat pricey repairs otherwise none"

"I bought my Range Rover at an auction because it had low miles and I needed a four wheel drive to pull boats and jet skis. I have not been disappointed and it has rapidly become my vehicle of choice for everything. The mpg are not any worse than your std SUV or 4-wheel drive truck. Maintenance is a little pricey but you an find most parts on the internet or junk yards for a reasonable amount. I can take this car places I could never take my truck or jeeps. It is very luxurious and has all kinds of bells and whistles that my spouse likes and the utility that I enjoy. It has immaculate interior design with climate control and heated leather seats, GPS on and off road, my air bags suspension system were converted to air shocks and springs and a lift added with over sized premium tires ect. Initially it had a lot of alarms and lights going off when I first got it but all of those are worked out now. Absolutely an amazing vehicle!!! It is a special outdoors man vehicle. I was a little scared I had gotten myself into a mess when I first started pricing parts but thanks to the internet i found a great vehicle for an even better bargain than I could have imagined."

95 RRC SW~Looks,drives great after all these years

By on Sunday, November 25, 2012

Pros: "Design,Harmon Kardon Ster,interior/exterior color"

Cons: "Likes to leak oil~"

1995 RRC County Beluga Black

"I have in my opinion the best Range Rover Classic ever, a 1995 RRC County in Beluga Black. It's been an extremely reliable rig, ofcourse not without it's proper maintenance such as oil and filter changes and preventive details to ensure it keeps running smooth. Sure, I've replaced and repaired lil things that break off, etc... This timeless beauty is a "rolling project or restoration" as of now,meaning replace suspension components, respray, headliner etc...Suspension has been converted to coil springs and has new Borla exhaust system, which surprisingly gives me 21-22MPG on freeway. Just know, any vintage vehicle will need money put in, if it is to be running and looking it's best!"

1995 RRC County Beluga Black

great drive

By on Sunday, April 08, 2012

Pros: "classic looks, comfortable, very quiet."

Cons: "really i have none, got a good one i guess?"

"i have had many cars, this is one of the most comfortable rides i've had. this includes my caddy, lincoln, mercury, infiniti, mercedes,the only car i can compare this to in comfort is my peugeot, the gas mileage is not to bad as long as you don't really put your foot into it. very safe and a feel that you are in command of the road."

If it's Good Enough for Her Majesty....

By on Monday, March 19, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, comfort and versatility"

Cons: "Air Suspension can get wonky, electrical issues"

"A RR is the epitome of "command seating" and whereas it has it's electrical issues and odd problems (air suspension, climate control) it is still a wonderful ride. Most LR/RR owners I know love and adore their trucks and will spend an inordinate amount of money... but I have put 80K miles on the vehicle, earning a solid 20mpg and have replaced $2000 in repairs over an 8 year period... you do the math. .... and all the while I had the safest, most fun of any one on the road.... we call ours the "magnificent beast".... Does it leak? Of course... "it is a British design feature.. it insures you know you still have oil in the car..""

Great SUV

By on Wednesday, January 25, 2012

"Great SUV. I have always wanted one of these, and when I finally got my hands on this one, all my expectations were met. In the sea of white Tahoes and Suburbans, the Range Rover is a breath of fresh air from the mundane and bland. Do yourself a favor and treat yourself. Cheers!"

Great quality trucks but pricey to maintain

By on Sunday, January 22, 2012

Pros: "Good value, very luxurious with plenty of space"

Cons: "Keep money in the budget for repairs"

"I have owned 6 of these vehicles in the last few years. They all seem to have very similar issues....they are super luxurious and have extremely nice amenities. However, the common issues on these trucks is with the air ride, Heater core leaks and AC blendor motor issues. Aside from that, these are a great bang for the buck suv. My 2001 is just as nice as most brand new SUVs for a fraction of the price. They are liking riding around on your living room sofa. Having 4 wheel drive all the time makes this a pleasure to drive (especially in winter weather). My wife and I love them and will continue to own Range Rovers."

Comfortable but not reliable!

By on Saturday, December 17, 2011

Pros: "Comfortable, and fun to drive!"

Cons: "Gas guzzler, expensive, and alarm system annoying!"

"This car is great... When its going. Wether its not starting due to an alarm problem, or what. It's a pain! The car has a certain feel to it though, when it's working i love it. Driving it is such an ease! I'm only sixteen and let me tell you, i drive great in this. But i hate how its unreliable. I love it but maybe think on getting a different car. :("

This truck is an animal.

By on Monday, December 05, 2011

Pros: "Great overall."

Cons: "MPGs"

"I pulled my husband's Ford F250 with trailer attached out of three feet of snow. It can go anywhere. Great truck. Period."

it is the nicest vehicle i've ever owned

By on Sunday, December 04, 2011

Pros: "great to drive, very comfortable"

Cons: "too small for ice fishing and hunting gear"

parked in driveway

"i love driving this vehicle. always has power when i need it. the seats wrap me up and keep me comfortable with heat when its cold, fully adjustable electronic. provided enough leg for me and passengers over 6' tall. good sound system. trunk space has enough room for 4 sets of golf clubs and a small cooler without being visible from the rear windows. the ride is always smooth and no surprises in the road. never drove off road other than compacted sand and gravel roads, it behaved very nicely."

parked in driveway

love it!

By on Monday, October 31, 2011

Pros: "safety ride look"

Cons: "mpg"

"I own a 02 RR and have to say i love it!It looks and rides great never had any major problems ! MPG is the only flaw to this car. my wife toataled it the other day her and the kids walked away scratch free !The saftey of the R.R.is like no other!Im looking for another as we speak!"

best 4x4 i have ever had a beast in the snow

By on Saturday, October 08, 2011

Cons: "gas millage not good but its worth it"

"best 4x4 under 10 gs"

I'm an advocate

By on Saturday, October 01, 2011

"We love our Range Rover. it has 184,000 miles with only a couple of repairs outside of normal maintenance. It goes anywhere. Drives like a cream puff on the road and handles everything we throw at it off road. Like any car with this mileage it has a few quirks but overall one of the best cars I have owned."

many many many repair one after the other!

By on Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Reason: junk

Pros: "looks good thats it!"

Cons: "junk"

"If I could rate this car a zero I would. I had soo soo many problems with this car it was unreal. In the end I gave the car away. I only had the car three years and with many repairs totaling $6000 or more. buyer beware!"

Wife's Vehicle,she loves it

By on Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Pros: "Wife loves it. When Mamas not happy, nobody is happy !"

Cons: "Dealer 125 - miles away. Not many people know how to service vehicle."

"Just bought wife new BMW X5 Premium,she wants to sell X5 and keep OLD ROVER. What more can I say."

Keep it until it dies!!

By on Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Pros: "It's a Range Rover."

Cons: "Gas sometimes, oil leaks"

"Where to begin! The look of the early 2000 still makes the Range Rover a good looking car in 2011! It has almost 12 years old and I just had a few problems with it. However I'm not disappointed at all. Its headlights cleared the way to Vegas so easily at 3 o'clock in the morning! Powerseats and my armrest made it so easy to find my best driving position and the ride is soooo great! It keeps accelerating well. The only thing that will make me selling it is if major oil leaks keep persisting because I can't afford much time and money for a car as a student. The sound system is awesome for a 2000 car by the way!!"

By on Friday, May 20, 2011

By on Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Unless you are a mechanic....

By on Wednesday, January 26, 2011

"I will lend some insight as a mechanic AND also an owner of several different Land Rovers. I would NOT sell one to someone I had a relationship with, no matter how good the condition was without first explaining the fact that these vehicles in general are very prone to maintenance issues and expensive to repair. Further, not a lot of shops will work on them. The software interface is proprietary for most of the systems which means you will end up at the dealer or a specialized shop like mine where the correct software to access and work on the various systems like BCEM or the ABS or TCM etc can be interfaced. Even the suspension has to be interfaced with special software. The engine is a 60's era variant GM all aluminum V8 and subject to head gasket failures, heater core problems and climate control issues are abundant. The air bag system for the suspension is very picky and prone to issues. The window regulators split and crack with regularity. Electrical issues abound and ALL Land Rovers leak copious amounts of oil. A mechanic not used to the underside of a Land Rover will be shocked the first time one rolls in with 60K miles on it, they are a greasy oily mess. Mileage is at about 12 mpg making it quite the gas hog. Although it has an aluminum engine, aluminum body panels (most) and other features to lighten the vehicle, it's overall weight is high. Further, a lot of the creature comforts like heated seats will fail and need to be fixed. The early models of the P-38 (this model shown) are more problematic in some ways and there are two engine options. the 4 liter or 4.6 liter which is the same engine that's been bored and stroked differently. niether is going to push you back in the seat. The later models have more amenities and thus more high dollar failure items. If you want to see a vehicle depreciate, I read that the Land Rover leads the pack in depreciation. All that said, it's a very safe vehicle and having hit a large deer at freeway speeds head on, I was never even in danger, and drove it home. The discovery, it's little brother, also shares the same motor and a lot of the same features, along with the same problems. The early RR's have the GEMS engine management system which is cheaper to maintain and work on while the mid 99 on have the Bosch engine management system and frankly, I don't feel a difference from the drivers perspective. They are absolutely useless in the snow and ice with the 18" highway tires but with chains they are very good on bad roads. The 16" wheels, though not as "sexy" are the better choice. All in all, be ready to be very good on maintenance and get a good mechanic familiar with the vehicle. Don't expect to have it as an economy vehicle and really accept the fact you are buying something that is more "status" than sturdy. I love them but I repair them for a living. I just had to rebuild most of my engine last month and mine had 90K on it. Not for the person on a budget.... I would not own one unless I enjoyed problem solving and appreciated the positive things about the vehicle."

Very comfortable ride, expensive to maintain.

By on Sunday, January 16, 2011

"Anyone who has common sense or likes to keep their money should RUN not walk away from any preponderance of thought of purchasing one of these hunks of junk. While our Rover was well cared for (85K miles) by it's previous owner it was in the shop constantly. We poured over $7,000 over two years in repairs and upkeep. It makes no difference how well a Rover has been maintained. There are just to many parts that fail and electronics to ever keep up with. I will say it is VERY comfortable to drive when it runs and feels very solid on the road. Road noise is minimal. But the joy ends there. We never felt safe driving more than 100 miles from a mechanic. While the all time wheel drive is nice for the winter they should make these AWD disabled during no slip weather so one can get better than 12MPG. Anyone looking to go into the auto mechanic business should specialize in Rovers because you will make bank! RUN FROM THESE VEHICLES!! Don't be tempted by it's attractive style and British stance. You may be smitten but constantly bending over on repairs!"