• 2014 Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

1998 Land Rover Range Rover

7.3

Based on 117 Ratings for the 1995 - 2002 models.

7.6/10
    7.2/10

GREAT CAR FOR THE MONEY

By on Thursday, October 28, 2010

"if you want to go out there and buy a 80,000 dollar car, it should be perfect. however, i was not willing to do that, i bought this car for 9,000 i've driven it through some horrible snow storms, flash floods, through washed out roads. Everything mother nature has thrown at me i've driven through. My 2000 range rover has never let me down. When i first bought it, it has sports tires, and i drove it through a winter with no problem. The next winter i bought snow tires,and never took them off, no problems in the summer either. For the money it is the most capable car out there. Not only that though, but it has style, and class. It looks good on a dry sunny day. You can pull up to the club and still get people saying wow thats a nice car. When i was in high school, people used to think i payed 20k for my red range rover. It has a great ride to it, and has always been there for me. My only recommendation is that you research the car out before you buy it and make sure you are getting the right deal and the right car, after that go have fun. One last thing i would like to add is that living in the city, you need the handling and acceleration to get through traffic, i am an aggressive driver. I have never gotten in an accident with my range rover, the way it handles itself through traffic is amazing. It gets you to where you need to go with grace. Then when your on the highway, just open it up and let it rip, its fast. It gets up there into triple digits with ease, and it does so keeping its handling at par. It is truly a great car for the money."

love it or hate it, its a RANGE!

By on Monday, October 25, 2010

"If you can get over some of the nuances of this vehicle then you will love it. The EAS system is great except for the fact that it goes bad within 5 yrs of being new. When in the market for this vehicle make sure that there has been either an upgrade or the system has been replaced with a spring conversion kit. I have put over 60k on mine and in that time the only major work outside of an oil change that has been done was a spring conversion kit, which was about $1200."

excellent transport

By on Tuesday, October 19, 2010

"I have owned my 1996 Range Rover from 1998 to 2010 and it has been excellent. I live in the PNW so need a car that performs in ice, snow and rain. It has never let me down. These are complex vehicles so they are maintenance intensive. They also are poor on fuel economy. However, they are roomy, safe, strong and reliable which is more important to me than great gas mileage."

Pretty good car

By on Monday, September 27, 2010

"THis car is great yhe only time anything ever happened to it was cause we didn't change the oil for the transmission."

Monopoly

By on Monday, August 30, 2010

"I think I've paid double the purchase price for my Rover in repairs. It's ridiculous. I LOVE the Rovers, but won't ever buy one again. The dealership is the only place to get it worked on. It seems Land Rover won't share their product manual. Smart on their part. Bad for the consumer. My advice would be not to buy one (which is extremely painful to say)."

marketing brilliance

By on Thursday, August 05, 2010

"I have to laugh reading some of these reviews. Love hate relationship for sure. I have had 2 Land Rovers, (Disco and RR) and both needed to have engine replaced. (Under warranty) The list of constant issues with these vehicles is mind boggling. (Too long to list) I literally have to cover my RR when it rains because it leaks ... this is a car which is positioned as a luxury vehicle for the outdoors? Put a 4.6 engine on any chassis, lock all 4 tires, and it will do well off road. But dont try to sell this car as having all of this off road performance because of its heritage/marketing. The vehicles that are being produced now have little resemblance to strengths this product grew out of. The popularity of this car is purely aesthetic, and that is why I own my second. Finding a utilitarian truck this size which has some style, but can get the job done, is difficult. But mechanically the trucks are a joke, cold hard facts."

MONEY PIT

By on Monday, August 02, 2010

"I've had my 2000 Range Rover 4.6 HSE for 5 months and have put $4,000 into it. So far I have rebuilt the transmission and the torque convertor ($3,200) It's now in the shop as we speak for ball joints ($750)the clock even works when it feels like it, it's always something. Luckily I know a great rover specialist in town. I love this car seriously, but thats a lot to spend on a car that has 130k miles on it. Runs great though. Be prepared to spend at least 3K per year in maint. It has previously had the EAS system removed and converted to coil overs and rides great. I'm pondering about getting a differend car asap but I'm upside down 4K for what it values at in excellent condition. It looks brand new inside and out. Now I know why, they are always sitting in the shop. Ugg, why do I love it so much, I't like a boyfriend that keeps letting you down, but I still love it. Brian"

Not mechanically inclined? Forget it!

By on Tuesday, July 27, 2010

"I know these have a bad reputation for being unreliable (I also knew that going into it)... They do require a lot of TLC and maintenance... That being said, I enjoy working on it and doing it myself saves LOTS of unnecessary dealer charges. If you are willing ot fix them yourself, or have deep pockets to have someone else fix the little "quirks" they are a remarkable vehicle!"

By on Monday, July 26, 2010

By on Friday, July 23, 2010

owner

By on Tuesday, April 06, 2010

"the best vehicle I have every owned"

Monster 4 x 4

By on Sunday, February 14, 2010

"These are truly durable trucks. Not the most reliable though. Great view of the road from the drivers seat. This was the top or the line in 1995 costing over $45,000. A great vehicle for the tinkerer."

Loved it, When not in the shop

By on Sunday, February 07, 2010

"I had my RR for 4 years. Got it at 26K, The car ran great, when it was running. It left us completely stranded only twice. Once due to a battery issue, the other due to a Security System Malfunction. While those inconveniences were undesirable, the feeling every time I saw it was well worth the effort, even after 100K miles. Issues that I have had included EAS faults, clogged radiator, and many little electrical gremlins. That being said, this car is not for everyone in all situations. If you want a car that is ultra reliable, this is not your car, get a ML. But if you want a car that is exciting, great to look at, and that has a PERSONALITY, than this is the car for you. You have to have the time and funds to deal with the issues that can arise with this type of car, but with a purchase of a Range Rover, the car is for enjoyment, its a conversation piece, and believe me there will always be something to say about it (good and bad). Read the forums."

Love it!

By on Monday, January 18, 2010

"I've had my 1998 4.6 for 3 years now. Bought her with 75,000 mi and am now up to 105,000. I've since replaced the transmission ($1600) and the transfer case chain ($650) and that's it. The A/C is a bit finicky but works well. I bought her with the suspension already converted to coils and she rides great. The interior is like sitting in a living room it's so comfortable. The paint is now 12 years old and still looks new. I'm getting about 15 mpg as per the computer. Hoping to reach 200,000 miles!!!!"

Love/Hate

By on Wednesday, January 06, 2010

"Bought this vehicle 4 years ago with 72,000 on the clock. Air suspension went bit by bit ($3,200) changed to coils ($1,200) when computer gave up! Cylinder gaskets went ($4,350) Radiator leaked ($850) Brakes done ($520) Fuel pump drive broke ($850) On 3rd set of front light wipers. They just fly off!!! Now 113,250 on clock, 15MPG town, 18MPG long haul. BUT It's the Daddy of all SUVs, body & paint A1 and the ride of a life time. You just feel great sitting in this classic!!! I'll check back with you again in 87,000 miles."

By on Sunday, December 27, 2009

Real SUV

By on Friday, December 18, 2009

"My 2001 4.6 HSE is the most solid and sturdy 4x4 SUV I have ever ridden in. Bought in 2007 with 50,000 miles on it. Runs solid but here is what I recommend very highly. Get extended warranty. Issues - air suspension went out at 85,000 miles. New air suspension would run $3K to $4K. Definitely convert to coil springs with 1-inch lift and Old Man Emu shocks. I find the ride way smoother with springs. Multi disk CD just broke. Have had to replace the following from 50,000 to 100,000miles - suspension, air accumulator, radiator, battery, pads, rotars, valve cover gasket. You get my point - super high maintence but none of these should ever need to be repalced again except pads, battery and rotars. Bottom line - most stylish, comfortable,dominant, classy off road vehicle ever but be prepared to spend $1,000 to $2,000 a year in this love affair."

The car I always wanted

By on Tuesday, December 01, 2009

"I was so excited to buy this car and it has been good to me. It is very luxurious and has all the ammenities I could ask for. I am upgrading to a newer model and I hope my range rover goes to a person that appreciates it as much as I have."

Solid Transportation

By on Wednesday, September 16, 2009

"Purchased vehicle used with 84000 miles. Have owned it for five years. Was and is in near new condition. Knew vehicles maintenance reputation.Have replaced tensioner, battery ,heater o-rings and thermostat myself. Repairs can be costly at dealers. YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND THAT GOING IN. Online forms are a great source of information. Used they require a lot of TLC."

Not Impressed

By on Thursday, September 03, 2009

"Every day that goes by I wish I had bought a Lexus 470 or similar. This car's quality problems are monumental. I have spent enough in repair on this car to buy a new Kia, what a nightmare."

Reliability Questionable

By on Sunday, August 16, 2009

"Bought it used three years ago(it had apparently been neglected) and immediately had things fixed (air pump, brake sensors) and substituted the shock/spring suspension for the expensive air suspension when little issues began appearing. Have replaced drive chain and some other bits and pieces. The repairs are higher than usual cost because Land Rover stealerships charge US$125/hr. (without KY). Drove it 2,600 miles in three days from Florida to Arizona and it was flawless. A gas guzzler around town but is stylish and well appointed. Keep it maintained and it will love you."

Money Pit

By on Monday, May 11, 2009

"I own two Range Rovers, 2001 and 2002. I have a love hate relationship. I love the car and what it can do, but I hate it because the repair costs are astronomical especially when the EAS parts go. Brake pads and rotors wear quickly as do the tires. I also have a 2000 Discovery Series II. Not any better. If you like to go off road it's a great vehicle. Just be prepared to spend a good part of your paycheck keeping it up."

By on Saturday, April 18, 2009

Not bad, but not great

By on Wednesday, January 28, 2009

"I bought a 2001 Range Rover used with about 100k miles on it, i got it for a steal and i knew there would be problems, so i tuned her up and replaced the computer unit and it ran perfect, off road she was amazing, i went mudding with some friends who all have jacked up jeeps, and it kept up fine. The interior is comfortable and styleish, and the exterior is beautiful, but i dont like the headlamp styling, one complaint about it is the navigation, it was a real pain to work with, but over all it was a good truck and i was happy to put 20k miles on it, if you have the money for the maintainence then i would recomend this truck to you, its a perfect on and off road vehicle"

Very luxurious and goes anywhere

By on Wednesday, January 07, 2009

"I bought my 2001 4.6 HSE over 2 years ago with around 45,000 miles on it with an extended warranty up to 70,000 miles. It now has over 80,000 miles and runs great. Had all major repairs done before warranty expired and have had no problems since. Definitely get one that still has extended warranty and the vehicle thoroughly checked out before the warranty expires. I paid $100 for a new radiator, $100 for air accumulator, $100 for air compressor that could have cost $1,500 if I had not had the extended warranty. You should expect to pay $1,000 a year in repairs with no warranty but find a certified repair mechanic and you can get labor rates 3/4's of what you would pay at the dealer. All my repairs come with a 12,000 mile waranty. It has no leaks and drives like a dream. You will love this SUV but expect to fill er up every 250 miles. Once one of my repairs has been done, I have not had to address the same issue again (great and honest mechanic I have). The Granny gear lockers will take you anywhere. Air suspension is still perfect after 80,000 miles. Do normal maintenance with synthetic oil and this engine should last another 100,000 miles. Just make sure you find a certified, non dealer, trustworthy mechanic and you will be set. My average gas mileage is 14 to 15 miles per gallon. Keep the moving parts lubricated and you will avoid replacing many parts. May go to coil springs if the EAS goes out. If you buy a used one, definitely have it checked out and make sure you have all receipts."

See if you qualify for