1997 Land Rover Range Rover

7.3

Based on 118 Ratings for the 1995 - 2002 models.

7.6/10
    7.2/10

Very luxurious and goes anywhere

By on Wednesday, January 07, 2009

"I bought my 2001 4.6 HSE over 2 years ago with around 45,000 miles on it with an extended warranty up to 70,000 miles. It now has over 80,000 miles and runs great. Had all major repairs done before warranty expired and have had no problems since. Definitely get one that still has extended warranty and the vehicle thoroughly checked out before the warranty expires. I paid $100 for a new radiator, $100 for air accumulator, $100 for air compressor that could have cost $1,500 if I had not had the extended warranty. You should expect to pay $1,000 a year in repairs with no warranty but find a certified repair mechanic and you can get labor rates 3/4's of what you would pay at the dealer. All my repairs come with a 12,000 mile waranty. It has no leaks and drives like a dream. You will love this SUV but expect to fill er up every 250 miles. Once one of my repairs has been done, I have not had to address the same issue again (great and honest mechanic I have). The Granny gear lockers will take you anywhere. Air suspension is still perfect after 80,000 miles. Do normal maintenance with synthetic oil and this engine should last another 100,000 miles. Just make sure you find a certified, non dealer, trustworthy mechanic and you will be set. My average gas mileage is 14 to 15 miles per gallon. Keep the moving parts lubricated and you will avoid replacing many parts. May go to coil springs if the EAS goes out. If you buy a used one, definitely have it checked out and make sure you have all receipts."

underrated

By on Tuesday, July 01, 2008

"LAnd Rover gets so much bad hype. Are their vehicles problematic, especially when you look at the sticker price? Sure, a little but they also get an unfair rap. I have owned 4 Land Rovers, 3 Rangies and a Discovery and I have had very little trouble with any of mine. My current model is a 2000 Range Rover HSE 4.0. I have never had any problems with this truck and its on 45000 miles. Its had some very minor electrical work and very minor suspension adjustment that cost hardly anything. Other than the complete tune-up and regular oil changes at 7,500 using full synthetic Mobil-1 this Rover has been perfect. I have owned so many SUV's so I have a lot to compare. As far as overall performance this Range Rover beats out the competition by a large margin. In terms of on-oad comfort the Rover drives wonderfully. The 4.0 power plant does its job, but its not as powerful as some other SUV's. But I never feel like its lacking as it has plenty of torque. Body lean is very good for a big, heavy SUV and is far better than my past SUV's like my Toyota, Land Cruiser, Mitsubishi, Montero, Mercedes M-Class, and Izusu, Trooper. Only the Land Cruiser rivals the Rover in front seat comfort and the Mercedes rivals in on-road performance. But, off-road, the Land Rover really is superior over all other SUV and easily takes terrain that some of those other SUV's can't even think about. Handling is as good as it gets, aside from perhaps the BMW X5 and of course, pedigree and brand name is unmatched. If you take care of your Rover and maintain it like its suppose to be maintained, it will treat you well."

Nice truck

By on Friday, July 13, 2007

"I had my 2002 Range Rover for 3 years I bought it with 22K mil now I have about 43500 mil on it, no problems at all. the only thing I had to do is new battery, I was in Iraq for 9 months so the car did not move. its good in the snow, and it has good power too. I will get the new RR next year I hope. I know people say bad things about RR but you need to read about them they are not your normal truck, this is a real SUV!"

love it!

By on Monday, October 31, 2011

Pros: "safety ride look"

Cons: "mpg"

"I own a 02 RR and have to say i love it!It looks and rides great never had any major problems ! MPG is the only flaw to this car. my wife toataled it the other day her and the kids walked away scratch free !The saftey of the R.R.is like no other!Im looking for another as we speak!"

Money Pit

By on Monday, May 11, 2009

"I own two Range Rovers, 2001 and 2002. I have a love hate relationship. I love the car and what it can do, but I hate it because the repair costs are astronomical especially when the EAS parts go. Brake pads and rotors wear quickly as do the tires. I also have a 2000 Discovery Series II. Not any better. If you like to go off road it's a great vehicle. Just be prepared to spend a good part of your paycheck keeping it up."

70k - 100k Breakdowns

By on Saturday, October 13, 2007

"Great car to drive and feels strong but needs an additional $6,000 to $10,000 in repairs after the 70k milage point. EAS Faults Parking Break Sticking Valve Block Heating O Rings Heater Core AC Condensor Tires Possible Transmisson problems"

Very comfortable ride, expensive to maintain.

By on Sunday, January 16, 2011

"Anyone who has common sense or likes to keep their money should RUN not walk away from any preponderance of thought of purchasing one of these hunks of junk. While our Rover was well cared for (85K miles) by it's previous owner it was in the shop constantly. We poured over $7,000 over two years in repairs and upkeep. It makes no difference how well a Rover has been maintained. There are just to many parts that fail and electronics to ever keep up with. I will say it is VERY comfortable to drive when it runs and feels very solid on the road. Road noise is minimal. But the joy ends there. We never felt safe driving more than 100 miles from a mechanic. While the all time wheel drive is nice for the winter they should make these AWD disabled during no slip weather so one can get better than 12MPG. Anyone looking to go into the auto mechanic business should specialize in Rovers because you will make bank! RUN FROM THESE VEHICLES!! Don't be tempted by it's attractive style and British stance. You may be smitten but constantly bending over on repairs!"

Overengineered

By on Wednesday, June 25, 2008

"I own two Rangies, 89 & 96, and each has unique issues. They do have a tendency to let the oil out and the water in. I have driven them across North America (Florida to Deadhorse) and have determined they will be broke upon arrival but can get you anywhere. I've tried every crisis situation (crashes into Semi's - Swiss Army knife helped, three wheel driving, jack-knifing) and still love the buggers though they have co$t me dearly. They don't like the cold but love gas stations with premium petrol. Keep a mechanic with AMEX in your back pocket or get ready to get greasy. Awesome styling and comfort and extremely rugged. Watch the air bags in cold as they and the air suspension can be problematic and the bump stops hurt to ride on. Try Rovers North or Atlantic British for parts."

marketing brilliance

By on Thursday, August 05, 2010

"I have to laugh reading some of these reviews. Love hate relationship for sure. I have had 2 Land Rovers, (Disco and RR) and both needed to have engine replaced. (Under warranty) The list of constant issues with these vehicles is mind boggling. (Too long to list) I literally have to cover my RR when it rains because it leaks ... this is a car which is positioned as a luxury vehicle for the outdoors? Put a 4.6 engine on any chassis, lock all 4 tires, and it will do well off road. But dont try to sell this car as having all of this off road performance because of its heritage/marketing. The vehicles that are being produced now have little resemblance to strengths this product grew out of. The popularity of this car is purely aesthetic, and that is why I own my second. Finding a utilitarian truck this size which has some style, but can get the job done, is difficult. But mechanically the trucks are a joke, cold hard facts."

great drive

By on Sunday, April 08, 2012

Pros: "classic looks, comfortable, very quiet."

Cons: "really i have none, got a good one i guess?"

"i have had many cars, this is one of the most comfortable rides i've had. this includes my caddy, lincoln, mercury, infiniti, mercedes,the only car i can compare this to in comfort is my peugeot, the gas mileage is not to bad as long as you don't really put your foot into it. very safe and a feel that you are in command of the road."