1996 Land Rover Range Rover

7.3

Based on 118 Ratings for the 1995 - 2002 models.

7.6/10
    7.2/10

Very luxurious and goes anywhere

By on Wednesday, January 07, 2009

"I bought my 2001 4.6 HSE over 2 years ago with around 45,000 miles on it with an extended warranty up to 70,000 miles. It now has over 80,000 miles and runs great. Had all major repairs done before warranty expired and have had no problems since. Definitely get one that still has extended warranty and the vehicle thoroughly checked out before the warranty expires. I paid $100 for a new radiator, $100 for air accumulator, $100 for air compressor that could have cost $1,500 if I had not had the extended warranty. You should expect to pay $1,000 a year in repairs with no warranty but find a certified repair mechanic and you can get labor rates 3/4's of what you would pay at the dealer. All my repairs come with a 12,000 mile waranty. It has no leaks and drives like a dream. You will love this SUV but expect to fill er up every 250 miles. Once one of my repairs has been done, I have not had to address the same issue again (great and honest mechanic I have). The Granny gear lockers will take you anywhere. Air suspension is still perfect after 80,000 miles. Do normal maintenance with synthetic oil and this engine should last another 100,000 miles. Just make sure you find a certified, non dealer, trustworthy mechanic and you will be set. My average gas mileage is 14 to 15 miles per gallon. Keep the moving parts lubricated and you will avoid replacing many parts. May go to coil springs if the EAS goes out. If you buy a used one, definitely have it checked out and make sure you have all receipts."

underrated

By on Tuesday, July 01, 2008

"LAnd Rover gets so much bad hype. Are their vehicles problematic, especially when you look at the sticker price? Sure, a little but they also get an unfair rap. I have owned 4 Land Rovers, 3 Rangies and a Discovery and I have had very little trouble with any of mine. My current model is a 2000 Range Rover HSE 4.0. I have never had any problems with this truck and its on 45000 miles. Its had some very minor electrical work and very minor suspension adjustment that cost hardly anything. Other than the complete tune-up and regular oil changes at 7,500 using full synthetic Mobil-1 this Rover has been perfect. I have owned so many SUV's so I have a lot to compare. As far as overall performance this Range Rover beats out the competition by a large margin. In terms of on-oad comfort the Rover drives wonderfully. The 4.0 power plant does its job, but its not as powerful as some other SUV's. But I never feel like its lacking as it has plenty of torque. Body lean is very good for a big, heavy SUV and is far better than my past SUV's like my Toyota, Land Cruiser, Mitsubishi, Montero, Mercedes M-Class, and Izusu, Trooper. Only the Land Cruiser rivals the Rover in front seat comfort and the Mercedes rivals in on-road performance. But, off-road, the Land Rover really is superior over all other SUV and easily takes terrain that some of those other SUV's can't even think about. Handling is as good as it gets, aside from perhaps the BMW X5 and of course, pedigree and brand name is unmatched. If you take care of your Rover and maintain it like its suppose to be maintained, it will treat you well."

Nice truck

By on Friday, July 13, 2007

"I had my 2002 Range Rover for 3 years I bought it with 22K mil now I have about 43500 mil on it, no problems at all. the only thing I had to do is new battery, I was in Iraq for 9 months so the car did not move. its good in the snow, and it has good power too. I will get the new RR next year I hope. I know people say bad things about RR but you need to read about them they are not your normal truck, this is a real SUV!"

love it!

By on Monday, October 31, 2011

Pros: "safety ride look"

Cons: "mpg"

"I own a 02 RR and have to say i love it!It looks and rides great never had any major problems ! MPG is the only flaw to this car. my wife toataled it the other day her and the kids walked away scratch free !The saftey of the R.R.is like no other!Im looking for another as we speak!"

Money Pit

By on Monday, May 11, 2009

"I own two Range Rovers, 2001 and 2002. I have a love hate relationship. I love the car and what it can do, but I hate it because the repair costs are astronomical especially when the EAS parts go. Brake pads and rotors wear quickly as do the tires. I also have a 2000 Discovery Series II. Not any better. If you like to go off road it's a great vehicle. Just be prepared to spend a good part of your paycheck keeping it up."

70k - 100k Breakdowns

By on Saturday, October 13, 2007

"Great car to drive and feels strong but needs an additional $6,000 to $10,000 in repairs after the 70k milage point. EAS Faults Parking Break Sticking Valve Block Heating O Rings Heater Core AC Condensor Tires Possible Transmisson problems"

Very comfortable ride, expensive to maintain.

By on Sunday, January 16, 2011

"Anyone who has common sense or likes to keep their money should RUN not walk away from any preponderance of thought of purchasing one of these hunks of junk. While our Rover was well cared for (85K miles) by it's previous owner it was in the shop constantly. We poured over $7,000 over two years in repairs and upkeep. It makes no difference how well a Rover has been maintained. There are just to many parts that fail and electronics to ever keep up with. I will say it is VERY comfortable to drive when it runs and feels very solid on the road. Road noise is minimal. But the joy ends there. We never felt safe driving more than 100 miles from a mechanic. While the all time wheel drive is nice for the winter they should make these AWD disabled during no slip weather so one can get better than 12MPG. Anyone looking to go into the auto mechanic business should specialize in Rovers because you will make bank! RUN FROM THESE VEHICLES!! Don't be tempted by it's attractive style and British stance. You may be smitten but constantly bending over on repairs!"

Overengineered

By on Wednesday, June 25, 2008

"I own two Rangies, 89 & 96, and each has unique issues. They do have a tendency to let the oil out and the water in. I have driven them across North America (Florida to Deadhorse) and have determined they will be broke upon arrival but can get you anywhere. I've tried every crisis situation (crashes into Semi's - Swiss Army knife helped, three wheel driving, jack-knifing) and still love the buggers though they have co$t me dearly. They don't like the cold but love gas stations with premium petrol. Keep a mechanic with AMEX in your back pocket or get ready to get greasy. Awesome styling and comfort and extremely rugged. Watch the air bags in cold as they and the air suspension can be problematic and the bump stops hurt to ride on. Try Rovers North or Atlantic British for parts."

marketing brilliance

By on Thursday, August 05, 2010

"I have to laugh reading some of these reviews. Love hate relationship for sure. I have had 2 Land Rovers, (Disco and RR) and both needed to have engine replaced. (Under warranty) The list of constant issues with these vehicles is mind boggling. (Too long to list) I literally have to cover my RR when it rains because it leaks ... this is a car which is positioned as a luxury vehicle for the outdoors? Put a 4.6 engine on any chassis, lock all 4 tires, and it will do well off road. But dont try to sell this car as having all of this off road performance because of its heritage/marketing. The vehicles that are being produced now have little resemblance to strengths this product grew out of. The popularity of this car is purely aesthetic, and that is why I own my second. Finding a utilitarian truck this size which has some style, but can get the job done, is difficult. But mechanically the trucks are a joke, cold hard facts."

great drive

By on Sunday, April 08, 2012

Pros: "classic looks, comfortable, very quiet."

Cons: "really i have none, got a good one i guess?"

"i have had many cars, this is one of the most comfortable rides i've had. this includes my caddy, lincoln, mercury, infiniti, mercedes,the only car i can compare this to in comfort is my peugeot, the gas mileage is not to bad as long as you don't really put your foot into it. very safe and a feel that you are in command of the road."

GREAT CAR FOR THE MONEY

By on Thursday, October 28, 2010

"if you want to go out there and buy a 80,000 dollar car, it should be perfect. however, i was not willing to do that, i bought this car for 9,000 i've driven it through some horrible snow storms, flash floods, through washed out roads. Everything mother nature has thrown at me i've driven through. My 2000 range rover has never let me down. When i first bought it, it has sports tires, and i drove it through a winter with no problem. The next winter i bought snow tires,and never took them off, no problems in the summer either. For the money it is the most capable car out there. Not only that though, but it has style, and class. It looks good on a dry sunny day. You can pull up to the club and still get people saying wow thats a nice car. When i was in high school, people used to think i payed 20k for my red range rover. It has a great ride to it, and has always been there for me. My only recommendation is that you research the car out before you buy it and make sure you are getting the right deal and the right car, after that go have fun. One last thing i would like to add is that living in the city, you need the handling and acceleration to get through traffic, i am an aggressive driver. I have never gotten in an accident with my range rover, the way it handles itself through traffic is amazing. It gets you to where you need to go with grace. Then when your on the highway, just open it up and let it rip, its fast. It gets up there into triple digits with ease, and it does so keeping its handling at par. It is truly a great car for the money."

Real SUV

By on Friday, December 18, 2009

"My 2001 4.6 HSE is the most solid and sturdy 4x4 SUV I have ever ridden in. Bought in 2007 with 50,000 miles on it. Runs solid but here is what I recommend very highly. Get extended warranty. Issues - air suspension went out at 85,000 miles. New air suspension would run $3K to $4K. Definitely convert to coil springs with 1-inch lift and Old Man Emu shocks. I find the ride way smoother with springs. Multi disk CD just broke. Have had to replace the following from 50,000 to 100,000miles - suspension, air accumulator, radiator, battery, pads, rotars, valve cover gasket. You get my point - super high maintence but none of these should ever need to be repalced again except pads, battery and rotars. Bottom line - most stylish, comfortable,dominant, classy off road vehicle ever but be prepared to spend $1,000 to $2,000 a year in this love affair."

Not Impressed

By on Thursday, September 03, 2009

"Every day that goes by I wish I had bought a Lexus 470 or similar. This car's quality problems are monumental. I have spent enough in repair on this car to buy a new Kia, what a nightmare."

RR

By on Tuesday, February 26, 2008

"I have had this vehicle for 4 years and I love it, definitely have to repair it often though ...he are the things I repaired so far Radiator, Rotors after 4Ok, Wheel hub assembly, Both rear air shocks, ac condensor, several faults that had to be reset, oxygen sensors there are 4, and a lot of stupid little things.....but In the plus everyone looks at you like your royalty when you drive in one....I will prolly keep this truck for the winter but would not buy another, to many repair bills and a supreme gas guzzzler that only takes premium................AHHHHHHHHHHHH"

The ultimate SUV

By on Friday, December 14, 2007

"This is one of the toughest trucks ever made. It looks classy, rides great and will go where a goat cannot. Maintenance is critical but has not been a big issue. (Once put an $800 alternator on! Yikes!) Over about 7 years it has been extremely dependable. With 149,000 it is starting to look mangy but keeps running great. Cheapest way into the range rover family and still get the good stuff. Gas mileage beyond miserable. If you are looking for fuel mileage, buy two Trans Ams and a Nissan pickup. Together they will be cheaper to feed."

Monopoly

By on Monday, August 30, 2010

"I think I've paid double the purchase price for my Rover in repairs. It's ridiculous. I LOVE the Rovers, but won't ever buy one again. The dealership is the only place to get it worked on. It seems Land Rover won't share their product manual. Smart on their part. Bad for the consumer. My advice would be not to buy one (which is extremely painful to say)."

a nice classy SUV

By on Friday, February 01, 2008

"this is an SUV that is not for every one . If you just wanna drive through a winter storm then you better go GM, Ford, or japanese . Why I say that because this one is a class by itself . Rovers go by generations not years . so this is the 2nd generation Range Rover . I love the off road capabilities that it has . the comfort issue is very subjective . Its for sure not that comfortable . windows are very panoramic , wood trim and leather are great . the muti color steering wheel is so unique . Now the negatives : a true gas guzzler, very slow from 0-60 .Thats it 1"

Good When Not Broke

By on Sunday, December 23, 2007

"When everything is working, this is a great vehicle. Since it spends several days in the shop each month, having a second vehicle to drive is a definite plus. Items that last 100K mi on US cars last 50k on a RR. One good thing is how solid a RR is; you will always come out the winner in a collision. Just make sure repairs are done at a certified RR shop or it will never be right again."

MONEY PIT

By on Monday, August 02, 2010

"I've had my 2000 Range Rover 4.6 HSE for 5 months and have put $4,000 into it. So far I have rebuilt the transmission and the torque convertor ($3,200) It's now in the shop as we speak for ball joints ($750)the clock even works when it feels like it, it's always something. Luckily I know a great rover specialist in town. I love this car seriously, but thats a lot to spend on a car that has 130k miles on it. Runs great though. Be prepared to spend at least 3K per year in maint. It has previously had the EAS system removed and converted to coil overs and rides great. I'm pondering about getting a differend car asap but I'm upside down 4K for what it values at in excellent condition. It looks brand new inside and out. Now I know why, they are always sitting in the shop. Ugg, why do I love it so much, I't like a boyfriend that keeps letting you down, but I still love it. Brian"

Love/Hate

By on Wednesday, January 06, 2010

"Bought this vehicle 4 years ago with 72,000 on the clock. Air suspension went bit by bit ($3,200) changed to coils ($1,200) when computer gave up! Cylinder gaskets went ($4,350) Radiator leaked ($850) Brakes done ($520) Fuel pump drive broke ($850) On 3rd set of front light wipers. They just fly off!!! Now 113,250 on clock, 15MPG town, 18MPG long haul. BUT It's the Daddy of all SUVs, body & paint A1 and the ride of a life time. You just feel great sitting in this classic!!! I'll check back with you again in 87,000 miles."

Awesome Care I love it

By on Friday, November 21, 2008

"It just cost to much to maintain otherwise I love this car Just when ever anything breaks it will cost atleast 2,000.00 to fix :)"

A class in itself

By on Sunday, July 20, 2008

"For $5K you can't get anything better in an SUV. The queen of England was driven in such a car. If you have kids, it is a great insurance for safety and protection. The problem is that onne should expect to spend about $2K per year on maintenance and the low 14mpg consuption."

Lovely Vehicle

By on Sunday, December 02, 2007

"Land Rovers, and especially Range Rovers are one of the finest driving automobiles in history. Land Rover has created an amazing vehicle with a wonderful personality and a car that is not only fun to drive but fun to love. Maintaining this vehicle has been somewhat of an issue to say the least- it is not a reliable vehicle at all and the cost of maintenece has been a huge issue. Overall it is worth the cost because there is nothing quite like owning this amazing part of a Land Rover heritage."

Long Time Owner

By on Monday, October 08, 2007

"I have owned a 1996 RR 4.6 HSE since 1999 and have greatly enjoyed it. I would recommend that anyone purchasing a used one should get auto insurance. I did and it saved a bundle over the years. Parts are expensive and dealer labor is prohibitive. I do all mainitenance myself (Brakes, Oil, rotate tires, etc.), but there are thise few times when you have to swallow your pride and take it to the dealer unfortunately!"

Loved it, When not in the shop

By on Sunday, February 07, 2010

"I had my RR for 4 years. Got it at 26K, The car ran great, when it was running. It left us completely stranded only twice. Once due to a battery issue, the other due to a Security System Malfunction. While those inconveniences were undesirable, the feeling every time I saw it was well worth the effort, even after 100K miles. Issues that I have had included EAS faults, clogged radiator, and many little electrical gremlins. That being said, this car is not for everyone in all situations. If you want a car that is ultra reliable, this is not your car, get a ML. But if you want a car that is exciting, great to look at, and that has a PERSONALITY, than this is the car for you. You have to have the time and funds to deal with the issues that can arise with this type of car, but with a purchase of a Range Rover, the car is for enjoyment, its a conversation piece, and believe me there will always be something to say about it (good and bad). Read the forums."