2011 Land Rover LR4

8.3

Based on 41 Ratings for the 2010 - 2016 models.

The best bang for the buck SUV on the road

By on Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pros: "Great Value, a vehicle to fall in love with"

Cons: "Fuel economy is pretty awful"

"I have owned the 2010 LR4 since Jan 2010, and have just clocked 30000 miles. I think I finally have enough experience to offer some insight into the value this vehicle offers. Firstly, let me just say, I love it. Even after 2 years of ownership, I still get excited for a trip to the store or to take the dog to the beach, when I know I will be driving the LR. Addressing some of the the most commonly discussed points re. the LR4 Cost - this vehicle is not cheap, but is not much more than a 4Runner LTD, about the same as a Volvo XC90, is less than an X5 or ML/GL350. However, you get a whole lot more for your money. Value - as mentioned above, you get more for your money in the LR than its comparably sized competitors. A level of luxury that meets or beats Lexus/BMW/Mercedes, and off-road abilities that are better than any of these competitors except maybe the 4Runner. I would back the LR over the Toyota, if for nothing else, the powerplant. The 5.0L V-8 is a beast. Reliability - Land Rover has a bad reputation for reliability. This is probably deserved on some of the older models. I can only speak to my experience. I have had a couple of minor electrical issues (a bad fuel sensing unit, and a stereo power issue) that were both resolved pretty quickly under warranty. Otherwise, its rock steady. Maintenance - Oil changes cost more than a moon shot ($130ish!). BUT, you only have to do them every 15000 miles (yes, 15000 is not a typo). Tires and brakes will last between 30 and 40000 miles, if you don't drive super aggressively. Fuel Economy - worried about fuel prices? Don't bother looking at an LR until they bring a diesel to the US. This thing is thirsty. Corp Support - I haven't had any run ins with LR Nth America, though I have heard some horror stories. Not too impressed with their recent effort to charge $250 to update the maps in the Nav system. Overall Impression - this is an amazing vehicle, massively confidence inspiring. Whether bombing down the interstate at 85, or climbing an ice covered drive, or a slick snowy mountain road, the LR seems completely sure footed. It is ridiculously comfortable, and very roomy. The features offered are impressive, and make me wonder how LR sells any Range Rovers when they offer the LR4 with so many bells and whistles. Its hard to imagine going back to reliable(ly) boring old Toyota after this...."

Beautiful

By on Friday, October 7, 2011

Pros: "Confidence to go anywhere you please, and in style"

Cons: "Fuel consumption"

Coastal highway roadtrip

"I have to admit shelling out what you would for this car was something I had to deal with, but once driving it home and seeing it in the drive, I knew I loved it. Traditionally LR's (Land Rover) have been unreliable, so I was hesitant to look at them to begin with, but once we saw the revamped 2010 we had to take a look at it. We found it had an all new V8 from Jaguar so that was a key factor overcoming the reliability issue I was concerned about. Smart move Tata. Suddenly you were getting a great engine with an interior that matched previous Range Rover's. The LR4 is bigger and more functional than the other LR models with the 2nd row seats folding completely flat matching the cargo space. Hard disc NAV. Curving headlamps. Air suspension lowers for easy entry. All Key. All of a sudden the LR4(Discovery)is no longer the hand me down, 2nd run, starving, adventurous student SUV. Being an English car you knew what you were getting into with the electronics, however, they are minor except for the rear camera, which is a common problem. Japanese system; you would think it would be money. They fixed it under warranty. Yes some lights have come on, but they havn't been anything that kept the car from functioning, and have been more of minor problems. The stereo has locked up on me using the usb port, but nothing a start/stop hadn't solved. Problem never re-occured. Advantage LR4 with the clock w/i eye sight compared to RR. Odd, but true. Still thinking that we're more active than we really are, our mtn bikes and rooftop cargo box looks at home on the LR4, not the RR. I can see where somone might say something about cheap parts, but every car has something. The LR4 there are few. We compared the Lexus models, but the consoles looked and felt cheap, chinsy even in our opinion. Our car is built solid w/o any hard plastic in the dash squeaking, or anything falling off. If you use it properly, and what it is meant for, you ultimately will bang something up on the car. That said if you want to coddle something, and pose get a lexus or any other non descript Asian brand. Or pay even more for European SUVs for matching accoutrements. Tata is onto something here and the automotive industry has recognized that fact. Knowing you have this vehicle in your garage gives you the confidence to take those trips you have always wanted. Enjoy it, everyone else does as you pass them by."

Coastal highway roadtrip

Great Value Luxury/Capable SUV

By on Wednesday, January 12, 2011

"The LR4 is quite simply the best value in its class when compared to the Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Lexus. The amount of luxury appointments and pure SUV capability when combined with price make this a great buy versus the competition. The 2011 LR4 has an amazing ride, is extremely comfortabe, quite capable offroad and looks great. I'm happy to have made the purchase despite early reservations due to rumored reliability issues. The dealer has been great throughout the purchase process. Highly recommended!"

Most enjoyable vehicle I've ever driven

By on Saturday, January 21, 2012

Pros: "Cabin, ride, and off road capability."

Cons: "Quirky blue tooth connection."

"The LR4 is the most incredibly comfortable vehicle I have ever driven. And I have driven many who's price tag far exceeded that of the LR4. It's driving dynamics are the perfect blend between comfort and handling. In fact, I've enjoyed it more than the range rovers. The proper range rover has a very plush ride, too soft, the sport is far too harsh, the LR4 is the perfect balance! All this before discussing its legendary mountain goat capabilities."

I Like It So Far

By on Sunday, February 27, 2011

"We just picked up our LR4 last week and it has been a great experience. Looking for a mid to large sized luxury SUV and this fit the bill. Almost went with Lexus GX but we got a better deal on the LR4 plus more accessories. The tire pressure indicator did come on after the first day but due to over inflation at pick up. It costs a bundle but is exceeding my expectations. I'll report out again after six months of driving."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Land Rover LR4 near Honolulu. See local deals