2014 Land Rover LR2 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $32,889 - $35,162.

Invoice N/A

10/6.5

Based on 79 Ratings for the 2008 - 2015 models.

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next

LR2

By on Wednesday, January 26, 2011

"I've had my LR2 for 3 years and I absolutely love it. People warned me about the reputation for poor reliability of the company. Because it was a new model when I got it, I was also nervous because there was little information out there. It has exceeded my expectations! It is a luxury vehicle inside and out, with the prestige of Land Rover for only ~36k. After having features like automatic windshield wipers, heated seats, and autodimming mirrors, I could never go back to a standard car again. It drives smoothly and comfortably, especially at high speed. I'm from NY but moved to VA and didn't know if I would need the off roading capabilities. But the sheer amount of snow in NY and the poor clearing of roads when it does snow in VA has made the car invaluable in snow. Whenever the roads are bad, the family takes my car. It's an absolute dream and I recommend you test drive one and see if it could work for you. It's been the best vehicle I've ever had."

Not what I expected

By on Sunday, February 07, 2010

"Although this car looks good on the outside, it has been anything but reliable in the 2 years I have owned it. I have had to replace the breaks, the tires (at 30k miles), the battery (2 times), the differential, the sun roof and the front passenger headlight. It's been towed 4 times due to not starting. The service at the dealership has been good, they definitely take care of their customers. I just need a reliable car and this has been anything but that."

Exceeded My Expectations

By on Wednesday, January 09, 2008

"We have owned both a Mercedes ML and Lexus GX 470. Utilizing both of these for a basis of comparison, the LR2 is a great vehicle! Comfort level equivalent to ML. GX has a softer ride, but it's a truck - not a lux car. It's a bit slow off the line, but we're not out to win any speed competitions. We purchased a dealer demo (every option included) with 5K miles - $8K below list - for that amount, I couldn't have purchased a 2 yr old GX or ML. Handling characteristics are on par with the other vehicles. My only two minor complaints are the bluetooth wasn't compatible with an LG Rumor and there was no built in garage door opener with the tech system."

Stranded

By on Sunday, August 16, 2009

"My 2008 LR2 left me stranded for 3 days on a business trip last week. The dealer still doesn't know what is wrong with it. The vehicle is 3 hours hours away from my house. It won't start. The alternator shorted out. This is caused because of a design flaw. The coolant tube from the reservior to the engine block cracked at the block. The flaw is that it is positioned on top of the alternator, thus when fitting fails and leaks the coolant drips into the alternator. The closet alternator was in Texas- had it shipped overnite = cost $1oo.oo. Replaced battery- now they can't get the vehicle to start. Parts availability are horrible. Every time something breaks, it can be several days to several weeks of waiting. I am dumping my LR2 as soon as it gets out of the dealers shop. I drive too many miles to worry about being stranded again."

Perfect vehicle for town or country

By on Tuesday, November 13, 2007

"My wife was looking for a midsized SUV, and found this to be the best value for the price. We have made one trip from Dallas to Ft. Smith AK. and driving 70mph to 80mph (Ok. Turnpike) using the cruse control we avg. 23-24mpg. In town my wife's avg. 19-20mpg mostly freeway. We have been a little disapointed with service (oil changes etc.) but my wife owned several Lexus prior to this purchase. Overall we are very saticefied with this vehicle."

Land Rover's 2013 LR2 is almost perfect.

By on Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Pros: "MPG/ Land Rover's AMAZING Terrain Response System"

Cons: "Wind/ highway noise"

Mountain/ Trail ready

"Styling/ Size/ MPG/ Driver's Vision/ New Engine/ Advanced Electronics ...all worth mentioning. Having owned and maintained a 2008 Range Rover, I was already familiar with Land Rover's Terrain Response System ...it IS phenomenal and works very well -very responsive. If someone wants an All-Wheel-Drive small SUV ..they should take a look. The only minor disturbance is the road/ wind air noise on the highway. The sound system is on par with the 2008 Range Rover. The heated windshield is a patented plus. The MPG is averaging about 27.1 ...unreal -because the weight of the LR2 is quite heavy. The double sunroofs are fun and the LR2 is very responsive."

Great Vehicle

By on Sunday, September 05, 2010

"I was skeptial about Land Rover after noting poor reviews in Consumer Reports. After much research and talking to owners I decided to take a chance on the LR2. This vehicle is the perfect size for my needs. After 50,000 trouble free miles I have virtually nothing to complain about. Operationally, the vehicle reflects a previously owned BMW X-5 quite nicely. I easily get 19-20 mpg around town with limited free way driving. Several long range trips (2000+ miles) usually nets 24-26 mpg. I would change only two things: 1) this vehicle needs Homelink 2) it also needs fob in the pocket/purse operation like my wife's Infiniti FX"

nice but missing something

By on Monday, June 18, 2007

"i love this new vehicle but it lacks a few items, one is it needs the 19" wheels that are a DIE. Buy them as your vehicle will perform a lot better with these tires. I love the nav and the halo lights but it lacks the heads up display that should come with this pricy option. It also need a rear window deflector as the rear of the car gets aweful dirty and you cant even get this item as an option. It lacks the roof rack with cross bars and is another option that should be standard along with mud flaps and body side mouldings, tow hitch w/ electronics. The car drives great and dispite Land Rover nickel and diming you for your share of after market options that should be standard, I really like this vehicle. Small enough to get around in yet big enough to tote alll your stuff around."

Land Rover Off-Road Reliabilty

By on Thursday, July 04, 2013

Pros: "MPG/ Electronics/ Driver view/"

Cons: "Wind noise at highway speeds"

Mountain Trail ready

"Previously owned a 2008 Range Rover ..the LR2 is of different quality due to it's pricing. Drives well. The Terrain Response System is really exceptional. The updated integrated electronics is very good and the sound system is phenomenal. MPG in mixed driving is a whopping 27.1 already! I coast and don't use cruise control ..and refrain from jump-starts from a stop."

Mountain Trail ready

Outstanding smaller SUV

By on Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Pros: "Great performance, super reliable"

Cons: "Premium fuel, expensive to service at the dealer."

"Love the truck. Wife wanted it over an LR3. Just passed 105k miles with only two problems, alternator drive and hook latch sensor. Great all weather car. Have had in the truck in Canada when the temp was -17F and in Va and NC when the temp was 100+F. We take this one on the long trips instead of my 2007 Range Rover. On our regular trips we average as much as 26 MPG.. This LR2 is better built and more reliable than my wife's 1991 Mercedes that we sold after owning this truck for a year. Would buy the LR2 again without hesitation."

Even better than I expected

By on Wednesday, May 18, 2011

"I bought my 2009 LR2 HSE in August '09 and have 37.5K miles on it. It replaced a Jeep Grand Cherokee as my Winter/work vehicle, a Mazda RX-8 being the Summer/fun car. To my everlasting astonishment, I ended up selling my beloved RX-8 less than a year after buying the LR2, which I now drive year-round. That RX-8 was, hands-down, the most fun, best handling, most head-turning car I've ever owned. An absolute joy that turns untrained drivers (like me) into superstars. Yet driving the LR is so enjoyable that I no longer feel the need to manage (or pay for) two cars. Who'd guess that a 4400 lb. SUV could displace both a Jeep AND a ripping great sports car? Its reliability has been faultless and its capabilities astounding. Off road and bad weather performance are so confidence-building that one almost seeks excuses to drive in stupid conditions, just because one can. Through howling blizzards or torrential downpours we motor along in complete control and considerable comfort, serenely above the rest (except for Range Rover drivers, who are serenely above us, lol). During one of many storms last winter I encountered a typical mess: cars and other 4WD's spinning every which way and entirely blocking the road, unable to negotiate a moderate but long and icy hill. I engaged "Mud & Ruts" and tried the only open path: off the pavement and onto the grass verge, which was buried in 12-14" (!) of unplowed, untracked snow. As stuck drivers stared in disbelief, I drove straight up the hill past the whole snarlup on this "road" of my own making, leaving a wake and two tracks as proof of the Landie's prowess. On returning to the roadway I reverted to "Grass, Gravel & Snow" mode and continued up the glassy hill without even a hint of wheelspin. (P.S. You DO need snow tires to do this, not even a Landie can drive on bad tires.) :-D Luxury features, built in the best BQ-rated plant in Europe, the cachet of a marque less seen, capabilities few vehicles can match, an affordable price... what's not to like? Nitpicks: I have long legs and could use a little more seat depth. Land Rover accessories (like the roof/ski rack) are stupidly expensive. Service is too, though to be fair two dealers have treated me like I bought a $100K Range Rover and not the entry level model. Nice. There are no perfect cars but this one comes closer and does more for the money than most. Mileage averages 19-21 in mixed daily driving, 23-25 on highway trips. Highly recommended."

Love My LR2, But....

By on Saturday, October 24, 2009

"I just hit 30,000 miles and I am still under warranty but I am starting to have weird problems like hoses bursting and taking out the battery/alternator. Because it is a British vehicle and many of the US suppliers are no longer providing parts, it is getting more difficult to find parts unless they order from England which takes a few weeks at best. Other than that, I absolutely LOVE my car!"

Just Right Size for me & my Wife

By on Wednesday, May 13, 2009

"This vehicle is awsome! It is snappy, handles the road like a sports car but gives you a high open view of the road. I avg 23-24 mpg on the highway and 19 mpg all around which is great for a vehicle over 4,000 lbs! It is very safe and rugged yet the ride is firm and comfortable, you won't get tired on long trips. The style is classy and prestigious looking. I'm very happy! The included service is outstanding."

great small suv

By on Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Pros: "distinctive luxury brand small suv for great price"

Cons: "no console storage"

"has wonderful styling, comfortable drive. lots of fun to drive. Very disctinctive. 2008 hse with 44k miles and has been perfectly reliable."

Very nice daily driver

By on Thursday, October 24, 2013

Pros: "Price is great, but only on a used one. Great ride"

Cons: "It will break, but so is anythingelse you will buy"

"So I went to the dealer to buy 2011 Volvo XC60 and ended up buying 2010 LR2 HSE black on black all options, because under the hood they are exactly the same. LR2 did have more room and better interior, in my opinion. Before I signed the paper I had my dealer take it to Land Rover dealer and replace door seals, arm rest, key fob, tires (you bet!!), and a few days later rear differential bearing (was making noise). All this at 32K miles. Land Rover dealer service were super nice, by the way. All repairs paid for by warranty. This SUV ended up being super clean and perfect all around, I took it home for $25K. Soon after I replaced filthy semi-metallic brakes (still in new condition, just filthy) with premium ceramic pads and premium rotors. Now it is truly perfect. Volvo guts are holding up just fine. I fix my cars by myself, I spend a lot of time underneath and I will say the LR2 exhaust pipe is very rusty, and rust is found on a hood and some brackets here and there. Rust and Land Rover are made for each other I guess. Now, I am prepared to replace anything on this car by myself, since it is a Land Rover, it is just a matter of time. I even have a same year Volvo XC90 as a backup (wife's daily driver, she loves it more than my LR2 only because LR2 has a sportier/stiffer ride feel). So, I love it, would recommend it to all those who can deal with occasional repair here or there. For the money, you will not find a better deal (equipment wise, 4X4, leather and all that)."

LR2 2008

By on Sunday, April 10, 2011

"We have had this car for 4 years and it has been great for us. Very comfortable, great visibility, and it looks nice too. We felt that we got a lot for the price we paid."

Love it but it has issues

By on Friday, August 16, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive!"

Cons: "expensive frequent repairs"

"Seems like the car has had more than it's share of problems. Expensive to repair. Key fob is entirely too expensive and it should last the life of the car (or have rechargeable or replaceable batteries)!"

A pleasure to drive.

By on Thursday, January 10, 2013

Pros: "Driving position - comfortable and in control."

Cons: "Key fob insertion + button press start up process"

"Currently at 55K. Completely reliable to date. Excellent brakes. Steering sensitive at highway speed. Nice firm but compliant ride - solid quality feel - I once purchased a used Subaru over a new Honda based on feel. Adequate power. Fits the bill of a small luxury SUV. Mileage is acceptable but not great. Feels like a smaller version of an XC90 - similar motor, safety systems and switches / controls. Well appointed - garage door opener would have been nice."

LAND ROVER BRAND = COSTLY LEMON, DON'T EVER BUY!!

By on Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Pros: "Look nice, loaded with creature comforts"

Cons: "Poorly made, astronomical repair bills"

"If you're in the market for a Land Rover, don't walk..RUN AWAY! Pretty vehicles with all the bells and whistles, but they're simply not reliable at all. The rear differential went out at 57,000 miles on our 2008 LR2...causing a horrible grinding noise every time the car turned. Try $4200 for the repair job! The rear diff shouldn't go out on a Subaru at 57K, let alone a Jeep on steroids. I would never buy a Land Rover/Range Rover again."

This a first rate Suv

By on Saturday, September 01, 2012

Pros: "All of the above"

Cons: "Garage door opener, center console compartment"

"I have owned and driven a lot of cars over 55 years. I currently own a Porsche Cayenne, a BMW 760 and a BMW X3 in addition to the LR2. I just got back from a 900 mile road trip. This car drives great, gets great mileage is trouble free and holds its value better then any of the others mentioned above. It is the best value in its class. I am about to trade in in for a newer one."

Best Small SUV hands down

By on Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, great price and gas milage"

"While I'm generally a "BMW" guy, if you want a small SUV, this is the one to get. I get around 20mph in mixed driving, and 24 mph on the highway. For gas I generally put in 89, even though "premium" is recommended. I have noticed no difference in performance. The car is also a low-emissions vehicle. The pickup is very good, and it handles well on dry and blizzard like conditions. The cornering is not bad either for a SUV, but if you get an SUV, cornering should not be a main selling point as these are not sports cars. The price is great (much better than a similarly equipped X3 or Lexus). In short, there is no better small SUV out there. Also, the ability to switch to snow mode, etc. is a huge benefit when driving in winter weather."

Great SUV

By on Tuesday, September 25, 2007

"This SUV is exactly what my wife was looking forward. Small enough to be easy to handle but with room enough to be very comfortable, I am 6' /210 pounds. The details in the dsahboard are nicely done and practical. The sart button a cute touch. The only draw back is the relative low mileage about 15MPG but in my mind worth every penny"

Land Rover's 2013 LR2 is almost perfect!

By on Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Pros: "MPG/ Land Rover's AMAZING Terrain Response System"

Cons: "Wind/ highway noise"

Wonderful Reliable SUV!

By on Thursday, January 19, 2012

"The LR2 is a fun and reliable vehicle that has been incredibly reliable over these last 4 years. I highly recommend the Land Rover products."

Best of the Land Rovers

By on Monday, August 16, 2010

"Pedegree: Ford electronics/safety, Volvo designed engine (230 hp/233 ftlb torque) and crush zone and safety, Haldex 3rd generation electronic AWD clutch pack (Audi Quattro is Haldex Gen 2), Land Rover's go anywhere in style design and assenbled in the JD Powers rated "best quality in the world" Land Rover/Jaguar Hallewood factory. All this has come together in the LR2 HSE. A true pleasure to drive as a daily driver (now that the engine is broken in I'm getting 23mpg Hiway, 18 in town). The ice/slick mode on the Terrain Response has already saved me twice while driving snowpacked/icey roads helping me avoid out of control 4WD vehicles. It also ran like a champ in the sand dunes with dune buggies in sand mode. It's everything a Land Rover should be."

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next