2008 Land Rover LR2

Based on 79 Ratings for the 2008 - 2015 models.

Even better than I expected

By on Wednesday, May 18, 2011

"I bought my 2009 LR2 HSE in August '09 and have 37.5K miles on it. It replaced a Jeep Grand Cherokee as my Winter/work vehicle, a Mazda RX-8 being the Summer/fun car. To my everlasting astonishment, I ended up selling my beloved RX-8 less than a year after buying the LR2, which I now drive year-round. That RX-8 was, hands-down, the most fun, best handling, most head-turning car I've ever owned. An absolute joy that turns untrained drivers (like me) into superstars. Yet driving the LR is so enjoyable that I no longer feel the need to manage (or pay for) two cars. Who'd guess that a 4400 lb. SUV could displace both a Jeep AND a ripping great sports car? Its reliability has been faultless and its capabilities astounding. Off road and bad weather performance are so confidence-building that one almost seeks excuses to drive in stupid conditions, just because one can. Through howling blizzards or torrential downpours we motor along in complete control and considerable comfort, serenely above the rest (except for Range Rover drivers, who are serenely above us, lol). During one of many storms last winter I encountered a typical mess: cars and other 4WD's spinning every which way and entirely blocking the road, unable to negotiate a moderate but long and icy hill. I engaged "Mud & Ruts" and tried the only open path: off the pavement and onto the grass verge, which was buried in 12-14" (!) of unplowed, untracked snow. As stuck drivers stared in disbelief, I drove straight up the hill past the whole snarlup on this "road" of my own making, leaving a wake and two tracks as proof of the Landie's prowess. On returning to the roadway I reverted to "Grass, Gravel & Snow" mode and continued up the glassy hill without even a hint of wheelspin. (P.S. You DO need snow tires to do this, not even a Landie can drive on bad tires.) :-D Luxury features, built in the best BQ-rated plant in Europe, the cachet of a marque less seen, capabilities few vehicles can match, an affordable price... what's not to like? Nitpicks: I have long legs and could use a little more seat depth. Land Rover accessories (like the roof/ski rack) are stupidly expensive. Service is too, though to be fair two dealers have treated me like I bought a $100K Range Rover and not the entry level model. Nice. There are no perfect cars but this one comes closer and does more for the money than most. Mileage averages 19-21 in mixed daily driving, 23-25 on highway trips. Highly recommended."

Love My LR2, But....

By on Saturday, October 24, 2009

"I just hit 30,000 miles and I am still under warranty but I am starting to have weird problems like hoses bursting and taking out the battery/alternator. Because it is a British vehicle and many of the US suppliers are no longer providing parts, it is getting more difficult to find parts unless they order from England which takes a few weeks at best. Other than that, I absolutely LOVE my car!"

Just Right Size for me & my Wife

By on Wednesday, May 13, 2009

"This vehicle is awsome! It is snappy, handles the road like a sports car but gives you a high open view of the road. I avg 23-24 mpg on the highway and 19 mpg all around which is great for a vehicle over 4,000 lbs! It is very safe and rugged yet the ride is firm and comfortable, you won't get tired on long trips. The style is classy and prestigious looking. I'm very happy! The included service is outstanding."

great small suv

By on Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Pros: "distinctive luxury brand small suv for great price"

Cons: "no console storage"

"has wonderful styling, comfortable drive. lots of fun to drive. Very disctinctive. 2008 hse with 44k miles and has been perfectly reliable."

Very nice daily driver

By on Thursday, October 24, 2013

Pros: "Price is great, but only on a used one. Great ride"

Cons: "It will break, but so is anythingelse you will buy"

"So I went to the dealer to buy 2011 Volvo XC60 and ended up buying 2010 LR2 HSE black on black all options, because under the hood they are exactly the same. LR2 did have more room and better interior, in my opinion. Before I signed the paper I had my dealer take it to Land Rover dealer and replace door seals, arm rest, key fob, tires (you bet!!), and a few days later rear differential bearing (was making noise). All this at 32K miles. Land Rover dealer service were super nice, by the way. All repairs paid for by warranty. This SUV ended up being super clean and perfect all around, I took it home for $25K. Soon after I replaced filthy semi-metallic brakes (still in new condition, just filthy) with premium ceramic pads and premium rotors. Now it is truly perfect. Volvo guts are holding up just fine. I fix my cars by myself, I spend a lot of time underneath and I will say the LR2 exhaust pipe is very rusty, and rust is found on a hood and some brackets here and there. Rust and Land Rover are made for each other I guess. Now, I am prepared to replace anything on this car by myself, since it is a Land Rover, it is just a matter of time. I even have a same year Volvo XC90 as a backup (wife's daily driver, she loves it more than my LR2 only because LR2 has a sportier/stiffer ride feel). So, I love it, would recommend it to all those who can deal with occasional repair here or there. For the money, you will not find a better deal (equipment wise, 4X4, leather and all that)."

LR2 2008

By on Sunday, April 10, 2011

"We have had this car for 4 years and it has been great for us. Very comfortable, great visibility, and it looks nice too. We felt that we got a lot for the price we paid."

Love it but it has issues

By on Friday, August 16, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive!"

Cons: "expensive frequent repairs"

"Seems like the car has had more than it's share of problems. Expensive to repair. Key fob is entirely too expensive and it should last the life of the car (or have rechargeable or replaceable batteries)!"

A pleasure to drive.

By on Thursday, January 10, 2013

Pros: "Driving position - comfortable and in control."

Cons: "Key fob insertion + button press start up process"

"Currently at 55K. Completely reliable to date. Excellent brakes. Steering sensitive at highway speed. Nice firm but compliant ride - solid quality feel - I once purchased a used Subaru over a new Honda based on feel. Adequate power. Fits the bill of a small luxury SUV. Mileage is acceptable but not great. Feels like a smaller version of an XC90 - similar motor, safety systems and switches / controls. Well appointed - garage door opener would have been nice."

LAND ROVER BRAND = COSTLY LEMON, DON'T EVER BUY!!

By on Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Pros: "Look nice, loaded with creature comforts"

Cons: "Poorly made, astronomical repair bills"

"If you're in the market for a Land Rover, don't walk..RUN AWAY! Pretty vehicles with all the bells and whistles, but they're simply not reliable at all. The rear differential went out at 57,000 miles on our 2008 LR2...causing a horrible grinding noise every time the car turned. Try $4200 for the repair job! The rear diff shouldn't go out on a Subaru at 57K, let alone a Jeep on steroids. I would never buy a Land Rover/Range Rover again."

This a first rate Suv

By on Saturday, September 01, 2012

Pros: "All of the above"

Cons: "Garage door opener, center console compartment"

"I have owned and driven a lot of cars over 55 years. I currently own a Porsche Cayenne, a BMW 760 and a BMW X3 in addition to the LR2. I just got back from a 900 mile road trip. This car drives great, gets great mileage is trouble free and holds its value better then any of the others mentioned above. It is the best value in its class. I am about to trade in in for a newer one."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Land Rover LR2 near Honolulu. See local deals