• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2004 Land Rover Discovery

7.2

Based on 158 Ratings for the 2003 - 2004 models.

7.6/10
    7.6/10
    7.3/10

Last True Disco II

By on Saturday, October 20, 2012

Pros: "Off Road Capability, traction in snow, Locking Dif"

Cons: "Gas mileage, numerous quirks"

"I bought the car from a friend of a friend who was just sick of it. Picked it up because I wanted something that would perform well in snow. That it does very well. If anyone has driven over the Donner pass during a winter storm they can relate. In snow: The AWD does OK but slipping does happen especially in heavy deep snow and ice however locking the differential will really improve your handling and confidence. If you have driven that stretch of 80 on a snow day you will have to negotiate numerous spin outs I have done so and if the road is in particularly bad shape the locking diff really comes in handy. One thing that I have had to get used to is the braking especially in snow the ABS just seems a little sub par. So that is something to be noted. Off Road: This car has done me well off road. From the back roads in Tahoe to the Dessert in Nevada to Launching my Kayak on a sandy beach the thing performs and performs well. I have only had it stuck once in the back roads of Mammoth Mountain and that was because I tried to drive over a 3 foot tall snow bank and only made it halfway over so that all 4 wheels were off the ground. In retrospect that was probably more driver error than anything else I probably should have hit it harder but the clearance isn't as high as the Jeep. I think that getting a 2-3 inch lift on the truck will fix that problem. I have driven through deep streams without a hitch as well with one time a little water seeping through the bottom of the door. Again a little more clearance and this would not have been an issue. Maintenance and Cost of Ownership: This thing is a beast. I call it the beast and it drinks gas like a Beast. I average 6-8 MPG here in the city in San Francisco. Average about 12-14 on the highway with cruise control set at 75. So it is definitely not cheap to drive especially on long hauls. I would also either fill up the tank before long off roading trips or carry an extra 5 gallons of fuel with you as your gas mileage will decrease if you have to push it hard off road. I have owned the beast for 3 years. And put 20k miles on it. So far I have done the brakes, ABS sensors, replaced the tires, replaced the battery, and of course changed the oil. I've easily put $3000 into it since I owned. I don't think that is particularly bad for a car that is almost 10 years old. Cons: The bumper is plastic. It is annoying. I cracked it on a snow bank in 2010 and if I wanted to get that part of the bumper fixed it would cost me $300. It's only cosmetic which leads me to my next point and the reason I won't get it fixed. The paint job from the factory is no bueno. It attracts scratches like nobodies business. Trees branches and air all seem to scratch this thing. I plan on driving it into the ground and really don't care how it looks but it is slightly annoying. This won't be a problem for most people but if you drive it through some narrow trails where you are constantly brushing up against trees and branches and bushes your paint will get scratches. Weird thing happened where the middle rear seat belt seized and made it really difficult to put the back seat down. I could have gotten it fixed for $150 but I just decided to cut the thing. It's rare that I have 4 other people in the car anyway because the back seat is small. The handle on the back door will stick especially after you get it all dusty. It's an annoyance but I carry a can of WD-40 with me at all times now. The windshield wipers suck. Especially in snow. They have way too many crevices in the arm that snow and ice get stuck in rendering the windshield wipers useless after 30-45 minutes. I have also noticed that the windows will get stuck as well. Another annoyance is that the windshield will crack easily but I'm not sure what can be done about that. Summary: I think that if you have means and really want something that you can almost take anywhere it is a decent choice. The locking diff really makes a huge difference compared to other AWD vehicles. With gas hovering around $5 per gallon here in San Francisco it is costing me $100-110 to fill it up. Maintenance will also cost more than other cars as well. I did a ton of research before I bought the car and the reason I bought it was because I got a smoking deal on it. I have researched how much I can get for it now with gas high and scratched and all and it is not worth it for me to sell it. The price on these cars fluctuate based largely on gas prices. With more efficient cars increasing in value and gas guzzlers decreasing."

03 LR2 SE7

By on Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Pros: "a real suv designed for off road use"

Cons: "MPG and octane rating"

"3RD time LR owner if you are planning on buying a Rover an advanced knowledge on the vehicle is needed and also where to find parts, They do need repair (just like any vehicle) but theres ways of doing it without getting hosed. I have had this vehicle for 5 years Drivin it on firebreaks of the NW, trails in TN and snow and ice, Never gotten stuck or disabled. Now for the Fuel economy 12/16 mpg at 90 or higher octane $$$ but worth it. Quirks I've found 1. gas cap seals wear out (causing check engine light to go on)2. if your 6'0 or taller I dont reccomend. 3. jump seats useless Ive used them once for children, small children."

Quirky English Vehicle

By on Friday, November 13, 2009

"Purchased my 2004 new in January 2004. There are things about the vehicle I would not put up with in a Ford or Chevy. Tilt steering is a joke. Controls behind steering wheel are difficult to see without leaning to one side or the other, so you have to memorize. Taller than 6 feet? Truck is not a comfortable drive for you for long hauls. Super unleaded fuel only, and drinks it like a drunken sailor on a binge. BUT this vehicle will go anywhere you want it to and its only limitations really rest with the driver. Stadium seating is great. Plenty of options to personalize based on how you use the vehicle. Unparalleled off road capability right out of the box with no modification needed. Twin sun roofs are outstanding. Far back jump seats are nice for smaller people (5'5" or less in height), but the seats do eat up some of your space in the back. Middle row seats fold up against front really giving you a lot of cargo, and high box height makes for A LOT of ability to haul goodies and loot. I ADORE Land Rovers. Always have. I wouldn't part with this vehicle for anything. But when things go wrong, they can be expensive and aggravating to fix. Keep that in mind."

Full of defects

By on Monday, July 20, 2009

"I have had problems with my landrover continuously. The check engine light comes on regularly costing money to have it chekced out everytime just to find out it just needed to be reset. Small things like the pop out drink holders break often. Requires 90 octaine gas and gets less than 400 miles to its 25 gal. tank. There is a short in some chip that makes the abs and traction control lights come on disabling those systems. The chip would cost $1600 to replace! Hard to find a mechanic to do simple things like change the head lights because the bolts are not regular and you need a special tool. I would not buy another LandRover or recomend one to a friend."

OVERALL I LIKE IT!

By on Monday, April 06, 2009

"I READ SOME OF THE REVIEWS PRIOR TO PURCHASING MY 04 DISCO! I HAVE TO ADMIT THAT SOME OF THEM WERE A BIT SCARY BUT I LOVE THE LOOK OF THE DISCO AND HAD TO TAKE A CHANCE! I'VE HAD IT SINCE NOV OF 08 AND I'VE EXPERIENCED THE LEAKING ROOF AND WINDOW NOISE! BOTH ITEMS WERE FIXED RIGHT AWAY BY MY LOCAL LR DEALER! I GIVE THEM PROPS ESPECIALLY MY MAN JOHN! ALWAYS THERE TO HELP ME WITH MY CAR ISSUES! THE ONE THING I'VE HEARD COMPLAINTS ON FROM MY PASSENGERS IS THE ENTRY AND EXIT FROM THE REAR SEATS. IT IS A BIT UNCOMFORTABLE BUT I DON'T RIDE IN THE BACK!!!! SO FAR I HAVEN'T REALLY HAD ANY OTHER MAJOR PROBLEMS AND HOPEFULLY I WON'T!! IN A FEW YEARS I PLAN TO BUY A RANGE ROVER AND GIVE MY DISCO TO MY SON! TAKE A CHANCE AND EXPERIENCE THE DISCO DON'T RELY ON THE REVIEWS! REMEMBER THERE'S ALWAYS LEMONS IN EVERY CAR BRAND!!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Land Rover Discovery near Honolulu. See local deals