1999 Land Rover Discovery

7.1

Based on 118 Ratings for the 1994 - 1999 models.

7.4/10
    7.6/10
    7.4/10

Emotional attachment

By on Monday, February 23, 2015

Pros: "lots of fun, nice interior, great extreme driving"

Cons: "spare access requires two people"

"We bought this car and did a lot of extreme driving, the best car for off-roading! Although it spends most of its time running errands now, I still love this car. We've had the opportunity to sell many times over the years and it's tough to let go of-too much potential for fun. I have found that now that this car is far from it's warranty, we have very good repair experiences with local mechanics. A trip to the dealership will result in repairs that are too steep! Keep with a mechanic you trust and you'll do just fine. Also the 800# at Land Rover is very responsive. Ours has not had major issues, but even the routine fixes have been very reasonable."

Depends where you live

By on Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Pros: "Really fun, performance and extreme driving."

Cons: "Supre expensive repairs for mechanical or body"

"We first purchased this car while living in Colorado. The perfect car. So fun and super tough! We would drive up mountain washes and pass the Jeeps that were stuck along the way. Once we moved to Michigan we didn't use it for extreme driving as much. It's best as a second vehicle. Very bad gas mileage/efficiency. Also, once things begin to go wrong, due to normal age and wear/tear, the repairs are astronomical. Definitely one of the most fun cars, but best as a second car, and best for someone with deep pockets."

The Best Red Disco in California :)

By on Friday, August 01, 2014

Pros: "Safety, interior space is great, Fun to drive"

Cons: "Cup holders, GASOLINE"

"I'm proud to say I'm the owner of a 1996 Land Rover Discovery SE7. I purchased the SUV in 1999 when I was 22 & to this day 8/1/2014 remains an important part of my life. To be apart of the dynamic Rover family is like nothing else. Of course, as with any vehicle you have minor wears and tears but the overall performance is astounding. Land Rover parts are expensive so I suggest do your research and you'll find numerous wholesale dealers. Also, I've had quality luck with Craigslist. When it comes down to parts, locate a friendly connoisseur who has good fair prices and especially with a 1996, remanufactured or after market products are reliable. Keep up with your scheduled maintenance and provide some TLC and your Rover will soar. I will always be a Land Rover girl!!"

If you want a true 4 X 4 this is it !

By on Sunday, September 08, 2013

Pros: "Durability, handling, hauling"

Cons: "Expensive dealer service."

"I own 2 Discos in Europe (95 Tdi and 02 TD5) and my father owns a 97 Disco Centre Edition here in the US. I will concentrate on the US version here but make reference to the European models as well. The 97 was purchased with 60K miles. Previous owner had all maintenance done per schedule. Only within last 1,000 miles have we had any maintenance issues. My father does little maintenance and uses the Land Rover for what it is meant - hauling boats and for the 4 x 4 capabilities. Other than rountine maintenance all that has been required for repairs are; shift lock switch ($50), Ball joint replaced ($700 - boot torn but was never noticed otherwise simple fix) and recently an oil pump seal where it connects to the block ($1,000). If you buyer an older higher mileage model you should know a good mechanic who know Rovers if you are not going to fix yourself. The recent oil pump seal problem was diagnosed as a head gasket needing to be replaced which it was not ! If you maintain the Disco they will go forever. My 95 Disco Tdi has over 155,000 miles. I have maintained it but the miles are hard miles as the vehicle is in Bulgaria - bad roads and harsher climate. It is driven regularly at 80 mph-90 mph on the motorways and taken off road every once and a while. The motor and turbo are still great. Only thing outside regular maintenance has been exhaust replacement (lovely chemicals they use on the road) and it finally needs a power steeting pump replaced (£50 / $75). I actually enjoy driving it more than my 2002 TD5. Just too bad we can't get the diesels over here in NA. The mileage on the V-8 is not great but acceptable when comparing to other 4 x 4 the same years and size. Treat them half way decent and they are solid, reliable and functionable."

Brutally tough drive train-unstoppable. Elect.. NG

By on Friday, July 05, 2013

"Excellent 4X4"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Land Rover Discovery near Honolulu. See local deals