1997 Land Rover Discovery

7.0

Based on 116 Ratings for the 1994 - 1999 models.

7.4/10
    7.6/10
    7.4/10

The Best Red Disco in California :)

By on Friday, August 01, 2014

Pros: "Safety, interior space is great, Fun to drive"

Cons: "Cup holders, GASOLINE"

"I'm proud to say I'm the owner of a 1996 Land Rover Discovery SE7. I purchased the SUV in 1999 when I was 22 & to this day 8/1/2014 remains an important part of my life. To be apart of the dynamic Rover family is like nothing else. Of course, as with any vehicle you have minor wears and tears but the overall performance is astounding. Land Rover parts are expensive so I suggest do your research and you'll find numerous wholesale dealers. Also, I've had quality luck with Craigslist. When it comes down to parts, locate a friendly connoisseur who has good fair prices and especially with a 1996, remanufactured or after market products are reliable. Keep up with your scheduled maintenance and provide some TLC and your Rover will soar. I will always be a Land Rover girl!!"

If you want a true 4 X 4 this is it !

By on Sunday, September 08, 2013

Pros: "Durability, handling, hauling"

Cons: "Expensive dealer service."

"I own 2 Discos in Europe (95 Tdi and 02 TD5) and my father owns a 97 Disco Centre Edition here in the US. I will concentrate on the US version here but make reference to the European models as well. The 97 was purchased with 60K miles. Previous owner had all maintenance done per schedule. Only within last 1,000 miles have we had any maintenance issues. My father does little maintenance and uses the Land Rover for what it is meant - hauling boats and for the 4 x 4 capabilities. Other than rountine maintenance all that has been required for repairs are; shift lock switch ($50), Ball joint replaced ($700 - boot torn but was never noticed otherwise simple fix) and recently an oil pump seal where it connects to the block ($1,000). If you buyer an older higher mileage model you should know a good mechanic who know Rovers if you are not going to fix yourself. The recent oil pump seal problem was diagnosed as a head gasket needing to be replaced which it was not ! If you maintain the Disco they will go forever. My 95 Disco Tdi has over 155,000 miles. I have maintained it but the miles are hard miles as the vehicle is in Bulgaria - bad roads and harsher climate. It is driven regularly at 80 mph-90 mph on the motorways and taken off road every once and a while. The motor and turbo are still great. Only thing outside regular maintenance has been exhaust replacement (lovely chemicals they use on the road) and it finally needs a power steeting pump replaced (£50 / $75). I actually enjoy driving it more than my 2002 TD5. Just too bad we can't get the diesels over here in NA. The mileage on the V-8 is not great but acceptable when comparing to other 4 x 4 the same years and size. Treat them half way decent and they are solid, reliable and functionable."

Brutally tough drive train-unstoppable. Elect.. NG

By on Friday, July 05, 2013

"Excellent 4X4"

Brutally tough drive train-unstoppable. Elect.. NG

By on Friday, July 05, 2013

"Excellent 4X4"

Awesome Toy!!!

By on Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Pros: "goes anywhere, fun, dependable"

Cons: "bad, gas, bad cupholders"

"Its a good and fun vehicle. It goes anywhere and hasn't given me any problems. The gas mileage however isn't good."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Land Rover Discovery near Honolulu. See local deals