1997 Land Rover Discovery

7.0

Based on 115 Ratings for the 1994 - 1999 models.

7.4/10
    7.6/10
    7.4/10
Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

If you want a true 4 X 4 this is it !

By on Sunday, September 08, 2013

Pros: "Durability, handling, hauling"

Cons: "Expensive dealer service."

"I own 2 Discos in Europe (95 Tdi and 02 TD5) and my father owns a 97 Disco Centre Edition here in the US. I will concentrate on the US version here but make reference to the European models as well. The 97 was purchased with 60K miles. Previous owner had all maintenance done per schedule. Only within last 1,000 miles have we had any maintenance issues. My father does little maintenance and uses the Land Rover for what it is meant - hauling boats and for the 4 x 4 capabilities. Other than rountine maintenance all that has been required for repairs are; shift lock switch ($50), Ball joint replaced ($700 - boot torn but was never noticed otherwise simple fix) and recently an oil pump seal where it connects to the block ($1,000). If you buyer an older higher mileage model you should know a good mechanic who know Rovers if you are not going to fix yourself. The recent oil pump seal problem was diagnosed as a head gasket needing to be replaced which it was not ! If you maintain the Disco they will go forever. My 95 Disco Tdi has over 155,000 miles. I have maintained it but the miles are hard miles as the vehicle is in Bulgaria - bad roads and harsher climate. It is driven regularly at 80 mph-90 mph on the motorways and taken off road every once and a while. The motor and turbo are still great. Only thing outside regular maintenance has been exhaust replacement (lovely chemicals they use on the road) and it finally needs a power steeting pump replaced (£50 / $75). I actually enjoy driving it more than my 2002 TD5. Just too bad we can't get the diesels over here in NA. The mileage on the V-8 is not great but acceptable when comparing to other 4 x 4 the same years and size. Treat them half way decent and they are solid, reliable and functionable."

Brutally tough drive train-unstoppable. Elect.. NG

By on Friday, July 05, 2013

"Excellent 4X4"

Brutally tough drive train-unstoppable. Elect.. NG

By on Friday, July 05, 2013

"Excellent 4X4"

Awesome Toy!!!

By on Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Pros: "goes anywhere, fun, dependable"

Cons: "bad, gas, bad cupholders"

"Its a good and fun vehicle. It goes anywhere and hasn't given me any problems. The gas mileage however isn't good."

one of a kind unique and fun

By on Sunday, February 12, 2012

Pros: "ANIMAL 4 WHEELER ENCASED IN TOTAL LUXERY AND STYLE"

Cons: "LOVES TO DRINK GAS LIKE I LOVE TO SIP COFFEE"

"I have owned 11 Land Rover Discovery's comprising of both series I and II. To be honest with you I try to let them go, but I always find myself buying one again. The fun and sense of adventure cant be beat. Along with the unique styling and looks makes it hard to not truly love this vehicle. Sure it has its quirks, but for me its like Starbucks on a Sunday Morning, Unless you regularly experience it, you will never understand. By the way, the fact that it is a 1998 50th year anniversary edition with the chrome bumpers ,only ads the icing to this very sweet cake!"

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25
Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Land Rover Discovery near Honolulu. See local deals