2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II

6.8

Based on 214 Ratings for the 1999 - 2002 models.

7.0/10
    7.4/10
    7.0/10
    7.5/10

best 4x4

By on Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Pros: "the best"

Cons: "millage but who cares it is worth"

"the best 4x4, better than any cheap american SUV, better than any jeep, excellent 4x4."

Awesome

By on Saturday, March 06, 2010

"I recently purchased a 2002 land rover discovery and let me just say this is by far the best purchase I have made. Everything about the SUV is unique. From the comfy interior, the exotic look, and the overall performance this vehicle is hands down one of a kind!"

High Maintenance Vehicle

By on Thursday, February 05, 2009

"My husband and I purchased our 1999 Disc II in Feb 2002 and luckily purchased an extended warranty. The first year we had the vehicle the ABS senors where replaced on both sides 3 time, rear main seal replaced, windshield wiper motor replaced. The next few years we went along with routine maintenance that cost a small fortune to maintain. You have to have a dealer replace your plug wires which will set you back $200-$300. In the last year we have had to replace the drive shaft $600 part, a crank sensor - this was a scary one - I would be driving down the road and the rover would die, I would have to pull over and wait for the rover to cool down, once it did it would start back up, then 10 minutes later it would die again. As long as the engine was cool it would start right up but once it gets warm it dies - the part was $125 and could only be purchased from the dealer. Now I'm stranded again, this time we think it's the starter (another major expense). Other issues we've experienced are the ABS/Traction Control/Downward Slope lights go on and off all the time, this is what the ABS senors being replaced was suppose to fix but didn't. My right front passenger door can only be unlocked by leaning over the console to open. My windshield wipers will not work when it's cold outside, the rover has to be running for 10 minutes before they will work. And the worst is it only gets 8 to 10 miles to the gallon and only drinks premium gas. The back doors do not open up very far and is hard for the average adult to get in and out of. Overall, I have enjoyed driving my rover when it's running. Fortunately, my husband has been able to do alot of the repairs himself. I'm just afraid if I don't get rid of it now we will be faced with a major repair. I would recommend only buying a Land Rover if you have an endless pocket full of money."

Reliable, stylish, comfortable

By on Saturday, August 28, 2010

"I have a 2001 which I have now owned for two years. The problem with used cars is that you do not always know how well the prior owner took care of it. I did have some work done when I first got it. The antifreeze would disappear and this was due to a hose that needed to be replaced, and the power steering did go out on me, but I do have a great mechanic who is considerate and reliable, I buy the parts at Land Rover, and he does the work (recommended, I live in NY and it's super expensive to use the dealer). I have had a Toyota 4runner and a Mitsubishi Montero. The 4runner was in the shop more than on the road, so I got rid of it. The Montero in the first few years was great, I got it with 30,000 miles, then the engine started giving me problems, I ran this one to the ground. The comfort of the Discovery is outstanding, even the people on the third row seat are comfortable. Not the case with the Montero. I love this car, and would recommend it, however do become friendly with a good reliable mechanic, when you do have to repair, they are super expensive to do as you would expect with an imported luxury vehicle."

My First Vehicle

By on Tuesday, April 28, 2009

"I've had my 2000 Land Rover Discovery for almost 1 year. We've spent thousands replacing the head gaskets, hoses, and other gaskets. The roof leaks horribly. After even a short rain, if I make a left turn water comes pouring out of the roof. Overall, it's not comfortable and has lowest poor reliability rating of any other vehicle. But even after all this, I can't wait to buy my next one. Just remember, DO YOUR RESEARCH!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Land Rover Discovery Series II near Honolulu. See local deals