• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II

6.8

Based on 214 Ratings for the 1999 - 2002 models.

7.0/10
    7.4/10
    7.0/10
    7.5/10

Will go anywhere anytime

By on Saturday, February 21, 2015

Pros: "goes anywhere reliable"

Cons: "drivers front seat little cramped"

"Have had this vehicle for 5 years. Basiclly use it when weather in Pa. is bad. Used it to push and pack 14inches of snow in the driveway. Do my own maintance, which saves a bundle. Parts and labor at dealer is expensive. Replaced rear roters and pads, front pads, crank sensor, battery and rear tail pipe in the 5 years. Headliner is starting to come down. Gas milage is 13mph, but with AWD I expect that. Overall I love it, but again I do the maintance."

very well built vehicle rides excellent ac. and he

By on Friday, December 12, 2014

Pros: "wood grain dash added cup holders"

Cons: "kind of wide but comfortable"

"w very good well built comfortable heat and ac. very fast to reach desired climate front windshield defrost excellent gas mileage on highway very good city mileage not to great"

Junk, Junk and more Junk

By on Friday, September 26, 2014

Reason: Parted out

Pros: "great off-road vehicles . Beats Defender on some ."

Cons: "Lowest quality vehicles made"

"Folks, these older Discos are for off roaders who put serious $$$ into these trucks to draw out their real qualities. The truth is that these trucks are some of the least reliable vehicles made by any car maker in the last 20 years. Discos suffer from 3 significant issues . Poor quality cylinder castings, poor quality radiators and steel frames that aren't galvanized and I could add another but I will give the pass to the Lucas system. If you want to buy a used one MAKE SURE the following has been done . Head Job , including welding of the cylinder pit holes or make sure sleeves were installed (especially 2001+ as these were out of tolerance when shipped out of the factory, Research British Leyland-Buick 215 castings ), new radiator (1994-2002) and some type of rust proofing on the frame. If this was done too late , you bought a lemon ready to drop at any moment and it wont pass a state inspection. These trucks are junk for luxury cruising but , with all the repairs done above , very good off-road trucks. Truth is I've owned them previously and am buying another 2000 soon for a sand / beach vehicle but only with all of the repairs done above. With none of the repairs documented , don't pay more than $1500."

Not too pleased.

By on Tuesday, May 20, 2014

"Bought this car on a used car lot, thought great deal. Nothing but misery from the cooling system, absolutely dreadful design. Just blew my second head gasket, first one 6 months into owning it, another grand to fix, again, gonna sell it for parts. Note....everything else was stellar, little top heavy, but really nice off road."

Excellent travel car, w/o kids, seats 8

By on Saturday, April 19, 2014

Pros: "space, comfort, dependability, appearance,"

Cons: "not as quick or quiet as LandCruiser"

"New Coil rear suspension, rear music, room for tv for kids DVD. Air controls front and rear. Cold air"

Good Winter Vehicle, Bad for Cost and Value

By on Monday, November 11, 2013

Reason: Bad MPG's, High Cost to Maintain

Pros: "Prestige, looks pretty, lots of room"

Cons: "Bad MPG's, High Ownership Costs, Always Leaking"

"I owned a 2000 Land Rover Discovery II for just about 2 years. I purchased it with 115,000 miles and sold it at 139,000 miles. It was a beautiful vehicle and I always felt special driving it, like an architect or a lawyer or something because it looks very refined(I am an engineer). However, it was a love-hate relationship with this vehicle. First off, I almost overpaid for it because of the name "Land Rover," but ended up getting an actually great deal well below book value. Then, the problems started, and it ALWAYS had some kind of water leak. When it comes time to fix or replace parts on this vehicle, NOTHING is cheap. The cost of ownership is VERY high, I guess this is why only lawyers and such drive them. Also, I was averaging about 10 MPG, with a stock, dealer maintained vehicle and light driving! It also had horrible acceleration, and always felt like it didn't want to stop. Needless to say, this vehicle was sold, and I ended up getting a 35 MPG 4 cylinder car that is much cheaper to maintain. I will say that I truly miss this vehicle, as it was what I first picked up my spouse in, had our first date, and was essentially the "white horse" I once saddled upon. I also miss the "prestige" I used to feel when driving it. Even so, I am saving about $400 a month in gas and insurance costs since we sold it (for more than book value), so it was for the best to part with this vehicle. If you are looking to purchase one, you will love it, as long as you have deep pockets. I will add that although this vehicle did have it's many issues, It never broke down or left us stranded anywhere, anytime, and always got us where we needed to go safely."

Gonna miss her - she's been great.

By on Friday, October 25, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive - looks great"

Cons: "Should have been a diesel!"

"This ole gal has seen some rough use. From skiing in Bosnia (where part of the highway was a riverbed, to hauling down to Split, Croatia at 115MPH, to driving in Wash DC traffic, to going across the US of A and back to living in Burma for four years where a 2 hour drive would could get you 30 miles out of town, and surviving a flood. We've put a little money into it, but considering who had to work on it, where, w/o parts etc, we've really done very little to it. Very comfy ride, still luxurious in this day and age and a real joy to drive. Can't count the number of broken down Jeeps we've passed!"

tough truck but very expensive to fix

By on Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Pros: "safe, great looking, great, 4x4, very durable"

Cons: "bad gas mileage, expensive to maintain"

"i bought this truck just a year ago. it had low mileage for its age, (100,000), but i didn't expect all the problems i paid to fix. after a week of owning it i had to fix, O-rings, head gasket, water pump, all new rotors and brakes, and within a couple of months from now i need a new transfer case. the owner before me had a dealership service done every 3000 miles. i'm disappointed with the quality same with my dad whose had five range rovers. so now I'm $5000 into fixing it and that is what its worth! but overall i love the way it rides, it sits nice and high.i also love the styling of the truck, i find it absolutely beautiful, but it could use some more horsepower but with the way its geared from land rover, it seems like it has enough. i also which it could get better mileage (i average twelve miles), and that's ,mostly highway and a little bit city. I've ask our land rover mechanic how it get more gas mileage and he said the only way is to bore out the motor, which he added it's not worth it, if you can't do it yourself.so all in all, my dad said to drive it till it doesn't run anymore, but since the repairs, it runs like a champ and has never left me stranded"

An absolute joy to drive this Vehicle !

By on Monday, March 11, 2013

Pros: "A blast to dirve, Sits nice and high, safe"

Cons: "Fuel and parts are a bit high"

"I purchased This vehicle in 2001, im the second owner and 13 years later still driving it. Never had any major problem with it. MPG is not the best. Parts and labor are expensive. But to me its worth every penny."

Disco=Stud

By on Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Pros: "Tough, reliable, and fun"

Cons: "Limited aftermarket parts, expensive fix, fuel"

"I purchased mine in Colorado and have drive across country with this tank on multiple occasions. Extremely tough truck. I've taken it through rivers, snow, mountains, mud, you name it and it lived up to it's name. Had some minor problems with electrical, but they're British and are know for bad electrical work. Keeping it for the long haul and will buy another Land Rover in the future."

Good 4x4 but that's all this vehicle has to offer

By on Sunday, December 16, 2012

Pros: "Looks"

Cons: "horrible reliability"

"I like 4x4 that is one of the reasons I bought this vehicle,but its turned out to be the most unreliable vehicle I have ever owned. If you can stick to the Land Cruiser, or Lexus with lockers they will blow this car out of the water in every aspect. Spend your money on upgrades rather than on trying to keep this car on the road"

Owned 10 years and it always took good care of me

By on Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Pros: "command seeting is the way to ride"

"This vehicle has served all purposes. With 2 children and two large labs we always got it done the Landrover discovery II series. The dealer was close and they were prompt and efficient when needed. I love this car and feel lucky to have owned and operated it for over a decade as my full time vehicle. Still going strong at over 120,000 miles.. regular oil changes = gold performance. Its only an 8 out of 10 because in 2001 they didn't have the technology they do today."

Best Vehicle Ever Owned

By on Sunday, May 06, 2012

Pros: "On Road or Off this Vehicle is amazing"

Cons: "Could use more power ports and Cup Holders could b"

"This SUV rides better than most cars but will still go anywhere without slipping a wheel."

best 4x4

By on Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Pros: "the best"

Cons: "millage but who cares it is worth"

"the best 4x4, better than any cheap american SUV, better than any jeep, excellent 4x4."

Do not buy this car it's a money pit

By on Thursday, April 05, 2012

"A comfortable money pit but nonetheless ."

Best suv I have ever owned

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Pros: "Fun capable looks great"

Cons: "Bad mpg"

"This truck will get you anywhere wrapped in luxury and covered with mud, super reliable I have owned three now not one has ever left me on the side of the road, could get better mpg's but who cares"

Vehicle is great! Classy looking on the outside.

By on Thursday, March 15, 2012

Pros: "safe, durable, high seated"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"Comfy on the inside. Back seat passengers love the high seated view of the front window. Dual sunroofs is awesome! Safe and durable. Perfect for large dog (70 lbs) in back seat. Great for camping and Pacific NW adventures to mountains and coast!"

Unique looks, great style but expensive repairs

By on Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Pros: "Great styling and perfect for the outdoorsy person"

Cons: "expensive maintenance and parts, low gas milage"

"I purchased my 2002 DISCO in 2002 and have not had any major problems. As of last year i'm now starting to experience oil leaks, braking and suspension issues. My DISCO has been great to me over the past 10 years for the expecption of the hefty gas fund i've invested in it. I've been pretty good about keeping up with my maintenance, which in itself is a pricy bill each time i have it service for routine things. This model is not very comfortable inside for long distance driving or for tall passengers and it does not deliver very good horse power but it will haul a great deal and weather any terrain you encounter. I am definitely a Land Rover lover and would purchase another, i however would probably not recommend purchasing a used 2002 DISCO this late in the game."

It's always something with this beast

By on Saturday, February 11, 2012

Pros: "cheap SUV, fun to drive, fits a lot of cargo"

Cons: "always breaking down, parts are expensive"

"Be prepared to replace transmission, alternator, drive train, and all hoses (nearly all at once) before 140,000. The front sunroof leaks and the vehicle is a total gas hog. On the flip side, you can go anywhere-snow, desert, rocky mountain sides- all year long and it built incredibly tough."

unreliable

By on Sunday, January 08, 2012

Pros: "leather and great a/c"

Cons: "everything else"

"very expensive to fix.. Kept breaking down. Nothing minor broke just the big problems. like radiator, heator core, head gasket, electrical, locks, windows.. I'm trading this in. I can't believe something sooo expensive turned out to be horribly unreliable. the 4x4 action was less than impressive on adventures as well.. almost flipped over on a minor tiny hill."

My favorite vehicle so far

By on Friday, December 30, 2011

Pros: "Comfortable, arrive in style anywhere on land"

Cons: "Can be costly to maintain, few qualified mechanics"

Driving a dusty road heading south toward the North Sister, in the Three Sisters area in Oregon.

"This was my second Land Rover Discovery, and truly a joy to drive. This Disco has served me well on many off-road trips and numerous camping trips, and yet looks good when going out on the town as well. This vehicle is well designed and well built, and includes many great features. The biggest problem for me has been costs for maintenance, with both Rovers, though there is a lot of performance to go with that price. If I were to sell this vehicle I would miss it. I have recommended Rover's to a few people over the years, and will likely do so again."

Absolutely love this vehicle!!

By on Sunday, December 11, 2011

Pros: "Beautiful vehicle, fun to drive"

Cons: "only con I found is that it takes premium gas only"

"This is a vehicle that you either love it or hate it, as for me I love my Rover. I bought it in January of '11 and have not had any major problems with it. I love the ride and the way I feel when I drive it. Has lots of power to the point of not realizing how fast you are going when you drive!! Knock wood, I've only gotten 1 speeding ticket in it....lol The look of it is amazing it's just says classy!! Unfortunately I have to sell mine and it's breaking my heart to do so but hopefully I will own another one some day. Just make sure that if you buy one that it has been well taken care of!"

2001 Land Rover Discovery SE7

By on Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Pros: "Safe, Power, Luxury, A BEAST OFF ROAD and in snow"

Cons: "Gas"

"When i first bought this vehicle looked a little boxxy and weird. All i knew was it was an off road beast. Being Stationed in Fairbanks Alaska I learned to love this car even though its not to great on mpg but totally worth the sacrafice. V-8 engine plenty of power not Speed just Raw Torque not meant for Racing but climbing mountains and getting out of sticky situations from the get go. Its like a jeep but so much better i use to own a 2000 grand cherrokke laredo. This car is so realiable never had i once had a problem. Super safe just pure luxury. Nice really nice Lots of saftey features built in this car that have saved me dring in the snow and slick ice. Great heater too. Sometimes being an off road beast makes you just want to look for trouble and make your own routes in the snow or off road. Never been stuck yet even in thick mud just pushed right through it. I got stuck in my suburu a few times."

not worth the money, nothing but troub

By on Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Cons: "price, repair cost, quality"

"do not buy a land rover, the dealer is a thief and they have made parts and labor such that no one will work on them"

Best Disco II I've ever known of

By on Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pros: "fun, easy care, dogs love it"

Cons: "seat heaters are easily activated by accident"

"I bought this car in 2003 from a single owner. Car had ever single maintenance record, all completed on time and I have continued the same. The car has never had a single mechanical problem. Never been in the shop for more than standard service. I did have gaskets and seals replaced as well as new breaks done as a precautionary measure in 2006. Have take to dealer for most service. Only problem I have ever had was the anti-theft system computer shut the car off and prevented it from restarting when I used two different keys (left vehicle running and locked while running in post office) computer system had to be reset and the tow was as much as the labor as I do not live close to a dealer. Other than that, this car has been amazing. My sister in law and I both drive them and she has had 2 lemons...lucky me! I hate to part with this car so hoping it will go a hundred thousand more miles!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Land Rover Discovery Series II near Honolulu. See local deals