• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II

6.8

Based on 214 Ratings for the 1999 - 2002 models.

7.0/10
    7.4/10
    7.0/10
    7.5/10

Owned 10 years and it always took good care of me

By on Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Pros: "command seeting is the way to ride"

"This vehicle has served all purposes. With 2 children and two large labs we always got it done the Landrover discovery II series. The dealer was close and they were prompt and efficient when needed. I love this car and feel lucky to have owned and operated it for over a decade as my full time vehicle. Still going strong at over 120,000 miles.. regular oil changes = gold performance. Its only an 8 out of 10 because in 2001 they didn't have the technology they do today."

Absolutely love this vehicle!!

By on Sunday, December 11, 2011

Pros: "Beautiful vehicle, fun to drive"

Cons: "only con I found is that it takes premium gas only"

"This is a vehicle that you either love it or hate it, as for me I love my Rover. I bought it in January of '11 and have not had any major problems with it. I love the ride and the way I feel when I drive it. Has lots of power to the point of not realizing how fast you are going when you drive!! Knock wood, I've only gotten 1 speeding ticket in it....lol The look of it is amazing it's just says classy!! Unfortunately I have to sell mine and it's breaking my heart to do so but hopefully I will own another one some day. Just make sure that if you buy one that it has been well taken care of!"

VERY GOOD VEHICLE. THE RIDE IS GREAT

By on Thursday, September 01, 2011

"THE CAR HAS BEEN VERY DEPENTABLE BUT THE BIG V8 MOTOR DOES USE A LOT OF GAS. IT IS MY THIRD CAR SO I DO NOT USE IT ENOUGH."

What a disaster

By on Thursday, December 03, 2009

"Nothing about this SUV is cheap, and nothing lasts the way it should. You'll replace pads and at least front rotors every 16k. Wait until you see what THAT costs. Even the stupid wiper blades are ten times more expensive than everyone else! Gas milage is a disaster. That is, unless you get a huge discount on Premium gas and you think 10.5mpg is ok for a tank of gas. The highest I've seen in 8 years is 14.1mps, And that was 100% highway. At 50k miles, start thinking about lots and lots of engine work. The rear self-leveling suspension is so bad, there are companies that make shock and coil replacement kits for it. For a SUV that has such limited numbers in the US, that is a bad sign. This SUV is a nightmare for the owner..."

Let Me Save You the Trouble

By on Sunday, January 20, 2008

"I have a Certified Pre Owned 2002 Discovery II SE. Since I've had it its had the following work completed. Engine Replacement (over $6,000, though under warranty at the time), Valve Cover Gasket seal broke, which in turn dripped oil onto O2 sensors ruining them (somewhere around $2300), Coil Pack Failure (decided to replace both to avoid later headache ($1,300) Shuttle Valve Replacement ($2,000) Speed Sensor Failure ($500). Now my ABS, Downhill Descent and Traction Control lights are on - for a second time. Do yourself a favor, punch yourself in the face with a studded iron fist, that is more pleasurable than owning a Land Rover. P.S. no resale value. Admittedly, I expected an investment into maintenance, however, my idea of regular maintenance is more like breaks, oil changes, hoses, belts, fluid replacements etc. Not new engines, valve jobs, shuttle valves and coil packs. Oh, and one last thing. It only has 65,000 original miles on it."

Best suv I have ever owned

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Pros: "Fun capable looks great"

Cons: "Bad mpg"

"This truck will get you anywhere wrapped in luxury and covered with mud, super reliable I have owned three now not one has ever left me on the side of the road, could get better mpg's but who cares"

Unique looks, great style but expensive repairs

By on Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Pros: "Great styling and perfect for the outdoorsy person"

Cons: "expensive maintenance and parts, low gas milage"

"I purchased my 2002 DISCO in 2002 and have not had any major problems. As of last year i'm now starting to experience oil leaks, braking and suspension issues. My DISCO has been great to me over the past 10 years for the expecption of the hefty gas fund i've invested in it. I've been pretty good about keeping up with my maintenance, which in itself is a pricy bill each time i have it service for routine things. This model is not very comfortable inside for long distance driving or for tall passengers and it does not deliver very good horse power but it will haul a great deal and weather any terrain you encounter. I am definitely a Land Rover lover and would purchase another, i however would probably not recommend purchasing a used 2002 DISCO this late in the game."

Rover

By on Wednesday, March 04, 2009

"I purchased my 2001 Disco II new from the dealership in 2002. The truck has had all scheduled maintenance done by dealership since new. As for major repairs, I have had the following repairs done since purchase; Head gasket (leaking out not in/warrantied), door latch actuators (rear PAX door, rear gate, and drivers door/all warrantied), heads resurfaced (not warrantied), front prop shaft (warantied), front PAX hub assembly (Bad Bearing/warrantied), Drivers seat heating element (warrantied), Rear driver door molding(warrantied), fender flares (warrantied), Rear Roof trim (warrantied), Water Pump (warrantied), and various other preventative repairs to include wires, plugs, rotors, etc. Overall, this vehicle is a tank. It will go anywhere, although I have rarely ever taken it off road (a handful of times since new). The truck never has left me stranded, in fact, most of the time if there was a problem, I found out from the dealer during services. As you can see, the warranty is a good investment. If you require a vehicle that is bulletproof and will never leave you stranded in deep snow a Disco is your answer. Common problems with Disco's FYI are the Head Gasket, Front Prop Shaft, and door latch actuators. My Disco has 83500 on it, and it's going strong. Warranty expires in April of 09, so I have found a local Rover specialist to replace the dealer's premium charges. I highly recommend doing your research on a good honest Land Rover repair shop if you plan to buy a Disco. Great truck that requires maintenance. Thanks"

Expensive but worth it

By on Thursday, October 11, 2007

"I bought my 1999 Disco II with 8000 miles on it. Regretably I must say goodbye to it now. It has served me well. We have many miles together towing my Mastercraft Ski boat and my Porsche 944 Turbo S Race car. With the added trailer brakes, I never ran short of braking. The heater would cook you in the winter and the A/C would freeze you in the desert. The truck did incredible crossing streams, climbing hills and doing down steep slopes. It has plenty of room for race car stuff and camping gear. The HDC mode is a huge plus creeping down hills. The Standard ABS saved me many times in the rain when idiots pulled out. The gas milage is what I expected. 13 in the city and 17 on the highway. Towing the race car I got 10 mpg and the boat would get 13. The heads were rebuilt twice. The transmission never missed a beat nor did the dual LSD axles. Just now it has begun a leak at the front transfer case. Maintenance averaged about $3000 per year, but that is what I was expecting. This was not an inexpensive vehicle to maintain. You want cheap? Get a Jeep. You want class? Get a Land Rover."

Really Good SUV but awful expensive repairs!!

By on Wednesday, January 06, 2010

"I bought my 2002 LR Discovery in 2001 and knock on wood, haven't had any major problems. But the maintenance and repairs cost so much. And I mean for little things. During the warranty, naturally things went smooth but once it ran out, oh man, the cost of simple repairs blew my mind. Didn't know this beforehand. One thing, the brake pads always seem to need replacing and they are quite pricey. Styling, comfortable (I'm 6'6"), nice cargo space I all love but thinking of letting go because I can't afford the high repair cost. Just now learning also LOW resale value."

Money Pit

By on Wednesday, September 26, 2007

"Bought a 2001 SE from dealer with 9000 demo miles on it in Oct-01. Great truck while under warranty, but once i crossed over 50,000 miles, the truck fell apart. I have spent $10,000 in maintenance in the past 2 years and the engine had a catastrophic failure on friday (after only 73,000 miles and reoutine maintenance)and i have been told that i must replace it at a cost of $7,100 if i want it to run again. I am selling it for scrap at the tune of $1500. Beware of these vehicles, great styling, but terrible reliability and value. It makes me sick that i wasted this much money on this vehicle. DO NOT BUY A LAND ROVER VEHICLE......YOU WILL REGRET IT IF IT IS NOT UNDER FACTORY WARRANTY."

Vehicle is great! Classy looking on the outside.

By on Thursday, March 15, 2012

Pros: "safe, durable, high seated"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"Comfy on the inside. Back seat passengers love the high seated view of the front window. Dual sunroofs is awesome! Safe and durable. Perfect for large dog (70 lbs) in back seat. Great for camping and Pacific NW adventures to mountains and coast!"

Great Family 4x4

By on Sunday, May 01, 2011

"We have owned ours for about A few months ago, and have Been fixing it up. It has been nothing but reliable, and has never let me down. It is a great vehicle to own if you have the money to maintain it, and if you love to be able to go off road in comfort"

Most capable vehicle known to man

By on Saturday, October 23, 2010

"My Discovery has 80k miles and has shown no signs of letting me down. It has never died, not started, or left me stranded. I truely love my Discovery. Yes, repair prices are a little higher than your average vehicle, but don't let that scare you away from buying one. KBB guidlines are not good for Land Rovers. If the Discovery you are looking at is above KBB, it's ok! They are worth more that what they are appraised for. It is outstanding off road, while just as good on road. Please do not let the other reviews scare you. If you take care of your Disco, then they will take care of you. Sure, if you "drive it like you stole it", it won't last you very long. Just get one that has been well maintained and it should last you a lifetime. I encourage you to buy one."

Awesome

By on Saturday, March 06, 2010

"I recently purchased a 2002 land rover discovery and let me just say this is by far the best purchase I have made. Everything about the SUV is unique. From the comfy interior, the exotic look, and the overall performance this vehicle is hands down one of a kind!"

Awesome vehicle!

By on Wednesday, November 25, 2009

"I bought my 02 LR Disco II used about 3 years ago and have loved just about every second of ownership. Thanks to terrible resale, I picked this truck up for $10k and now, three years later, I am just hitting 100k miles. The truck is comfortable, stylish, and has proven a workhorse off-road and towing some heavy trailers I own. A lot of the problems from the Disco I were fixed on this model, but I did have to replace window regulators, the engine coil pack, and the battery... maybe about $600 total, most of it covered by the after market warranty I purchased. Don't buy one of these if you don't have some extra money for repairs, but all in all, I love this car. I am going to run it until it dies, but I am kind of looking forward to the day because thats when I am getting my LR4!!"

Great truck

By on Wednesday, September 30, 2009

"Had it since 30k miles and now it has 95000K. so far no major problems. have changed the tires, brakes, belt and MAS sensor ($150) the truck runs like a horse. great in snow. parts are found online aftermarket and they are very economical. My garage is a tight sqeeze and have busted the same headlight 3 times and the aftermarket headlamp is $40. I will also drive it till it dies."

I would never buy another

By on Monday, May 18, 2009

"I bought my 2001 Land Rover in 2003, first mistake. It is my wife's vehicle and she drives very conservatively. Within the first 2 years of owning, we replaced the engine, the transfer case, the mass air flow sensor, the windshield three times- eventually due to the roof leaking, We took it to the Land Rover Dealership (1 hour away) 14 times for the headliner leaking. Currently there are four lights on on the dashboard panel. I do not think a car manufacturer could make a worse vehicle if they tried. Do not buy a used 2001 anytime soon, I'm dumping this vehicle on the market"

High Maintenance Vehicle

By on Thursday, February 05, 2009

"My husband and I purchased our 1999 Disc II in Feb 2002 and luckily purchased an extended warranty. The first year we had the vehicle the ABS senors where replaced on both sides 3 time, rear main seal replaced, windshield wiper motor replaced. The next few years we went along with routine maintenance that cost a small fortune to maintain. You have to have a dealer replace your plug wires which will set you back $200-$300. In the last year we have had to replace the drive shaft $600 part, a crank sensor - this was a scary one - I would be driving down the road and the rover would die, I would have to pull over and wait for the rover to cool down, once it did it would start back up, then 10 minutes later it would die again. As long as the engine was cool it would start right up but once it gets warm it dies - the part was $125 and could only be purchased from the dealer. Now I'm stranded again, this time we think it's the starter (another major expense). Other issues we've experienced are the ABS/Traction Control/Downward Slope lights go on and off all the time, this is what the ABS senors being replaced was suppose to fix but didn't. My right front passenger door can only be unlocked by leaning over the console to open. My windshield wipers will not work when it's cold outside, the rover has to be running for 10 minutes before they will work. And the worst is it only gets 8 to 10 miles to the gallon and only drinks premium gas. The back doors do not open up very far and is hard for the average adult to get in and out of. Overall, I have enjoyed driving my rover when it's running. Fortunately, my husband has been able to do alot of the repairs himself. I'm just afraid if I don't get rid of it now we will be faced with a major repair. I would recommend only buying a Land Rover if you have an endless pocket full of money."

8 years and still going good

By on Saturday, March 01, 2008

"I bought my Discovery II in new in 2000. I have had it 8 years and have 80k miles on it. Aside from needing a radiator at 6 years, the car has proven to be very reliable. It's not a great performer, but if you want speed, no SUV is really good. Go buy a mustang. What this car does do well is haul stuff, handles bad weather, and it won't rust since it's got an aluminum body. It can tow 7700 lbs, has a very large cargo area, and in the north east here, it has been excellent in winter. The back seat is hard to get into but once you are in, there is plenty of room. The normal wear and tear parts have lasted well for me. Rear brakes needed to be replaced at about 38k, and then again at about 75k. Front brakes lasted to 53k and I got 65k miles out of the original Goodyear 255/55r18 tires. I still have the original exhaust and it looks barely rusted. Dealer cost is pretty high for work or repairs but a local tire shop did my brakes and tires without issues. I drive the car like a human. I do not beat on it or race it so maybe that's why it has been so reliable. I went with a dealer sponsored off road event and was amazed at where this vehicle can go and what it can climb. It has proven itself in the winter and rain many times."

best 4x4

By on Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Pros: "the best"

Cons: "millage but who cares it is worth"

"the best 4x4, better than any cheap american SUV, better than any jeep, excellent 4x4."

Reliable, stylish, comfortable

By on Saturday, August 28, 2010

"I have a 2001 which I have now owned for two years. The problem with used cars is that you do not always know how well the prior owner took care of it. I did have some work done when I first got it. The antifreeze would disappear and this was due to a hose that needed to be replaced, and the power steering did go out on me, but I do have a great mechanic who is considerate and reliable, I buy the parts at Land Rover, and he does the work (recommended, I live in NY and it's super expensive to use the dealer). I have had a Toyota 4runner and a Mitsubishi Montero. The 4runner was in the shop more than on the road, so I got rid of it. The Montero in the first few years was great, I got it with 30,000 miles, then the engine started giving me problems, I ran this one to the ground. The comfort of the Discovery is outstanding, even the people on the third row seat are comfortable. Not the case with the Montero. I love this car, and would recommend it, however do become friendly with a good reliable mechanic, when you do have to repair, they are super expensive to do as you would expect with an imported luxury vehicle."

My First Vehicle

By on Tuesday, April 28, 2009

"I've had my 2000 Land Rover Discovery for almost 1 year. We've spent thousands replacing the head gaskets, hoses, and other gaskets. The roof leaks horribly. After even a short rain, if I make a left turn water comes pouring out of the roof. Overall, it's not comfortable and has lowest poor reliability rating of any other vehicle. But even after all this, I can't wait to buy my next one. Just remember, DO YOUR RESEARCH!"

great ride

By on Wednesday, April 15, 2009

"Utility says it all. Awesome 4 wheel drive system, towing capacity & towing performance. Stereo better than most homes. Tires wear better than a sedan. Only one negative... Fuel economy is poor, 12 - 16 mpg tops."

ROVER - GREAT VEHICLE LOTS OF EXPERIENCE

By on Thursday, January 22, 2009

"I HAVE HAD MY ROVER FOR OVER 4 YEARS, SADLY I MUST SELL IT TO PAY BILLS. I WILL SURELY BUY ANOTHER WHEN I CAN AFFORD IT. THE LAND ROVER IS AN OUTSTENDING VEHICLE. THE SMALL YET POWERFULL ENGINE DELIVERS EVERYTHING YOU WANT OUT OF A V8 WITH GREAT GAS MILAGE. THE DRIVETRAIN IS ROCK SOLID, SOLID AXLE FRONT AND REAR, THE TRANNY AND TRANSFER CASE ARE ALSO VERY VERY STRONG. THIS VEHICLE DRIVES GREAT ON THE ROAD ( A LITTLE TOP HEAVY) AND IT DOMINATES OFF-ROAD. NO STOCK JEEP OR TRUCK, HUMMERS INCLUDED, CAN DO WHAT A STOCK LAND ROVER CAN OFF-ROAD. THE TRACTION CONTROL SYSTEM WORKS BETTER THAN LOCKERS. I CANNOT SAY ENOUGH GREAT THINGS ABOUT ITS OFFROAD CAPABILITY. I BUILD OFF-ROAD VEHICLES FOR A LIVING, AND THIS TRUCK KEEPS UP WITH MY DRIVING DEMAND (DUNES, ROCKCLIMBING, MUD AND RIVER PASSING, DESERT RUNNING, ETC.) THE STYLING AND COMFORT ARE SECOND TO NONE, YOU CAN TELL YOU ARE IN A $50K TRUCK. ALL LEATHER, ALL POWER, ALL STANDARD. THE STEREO SYSTEM IN MINE IS 8 YEARS OLD AND PUMPS BETTER THAN AFTERMARKET SYSTEMS. OK, I WONT LIE, THEY DO HAVE SOME PROBLEMS. ELECTRICAL. THREE DOOR LOCKS AND TWO WINDOW SWITCHES HAVE GONE OUT ON ME. HOWEVER, THIS CAN BE A COMMON PROBLEM ON MOST NEW VEHICLES, AND DOES NOT COST MUCH TO REPLACE. I HAVE LIFTED MINE, WITH OFFROAD TIRES AND A FRONT DIFF LOCK. WHERE THE TRUCK WAS AMAZING BEFORE, ITS UNSTOPPABLE NOW. ONE LAST THING, THE ROVERS WITH THE DOUBLE LOCK SYSTEM (COMES STANDARD ON MOST KEYLESS ENTRY), THIS TRUCK CANNOT BE STOLEN. WHEN DOUBLE LOCKED OR "DEAD LOCKED" THE ROVER WONT LET YOU IN EVEN WITH A CUT KEY, EVEN IF YOU GET IN, IT WILL NOT START OR LET YOU OPEN THE DOORS. IT CANNOT BE STOLEN WHEN DOUBLE LOCKED. JUST DONT LOSE YOU KEY FOB! I COULD GO ON AND ON. THIS IS A GREAT VEHICLE, EVERYTHING PEOPLE SAY ABOUT HOW GOOD THEY ARE IS TRUE. LIKE ALL VEHICLES, SOMETIMES PEOPLE HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THEIR CAR OR TRUCK, ROVER IS NO EXCEPTION. HOWEVER, THEY ARE THE BEST 4X4 ON THE MARKET PERIOD. HOPE THIS HELPS!!!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Land Rover Discovery Series II near Honolulu. See local deals