2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II

6.8

Based on 214 Ratings for the 1999 - 2002 models.

7.0/10
    7.4/10
    7.0/10
    7.5/10

Really Good SUV but awful expensive repairs!!

By on Wednesday, January 06, 2010

"I bought my 2002 LR Discovery in 2001 and knock on wood, haven't had any major problems. But the maintenance and repairs cost so much. And I mean for little things. During the warranty, naturally things went smooth but once it ran out, oh man, the cost of simple repairs blew my mind. Didn't know this beforehand. One thing, the brake pads always seem to need replacing and they are quite pricey. Styling, comfortable (I'm 6'6"), nice cargo space I all love but thinking of letting go because I can't afford the high repair cost. Just now learning also LOW resale value."

Awesome vehicle!

By on Wednesday, November 25, 2009

"I bought my 02 LR Disco II used about 3 years ago and have loved just about every second of ownership. Thanks to terrible resale, I picked this truck up for $10k and now, three years later, I am just hitting 100k miles. The truck is comfortable, stylish, and has proven a workhorse off-road and towing some heavy trailers I own. A lot of the problems from the Disco I were fixed on this model, but I did have to replace window regulators, the engine coil pack, and the battery... maybe about $600 total, most of it covered by the after market warranty I purchased. Don't buy one of these if you don't have some extra money for repairs, but all in all, I love this car. I am going to run it until it dies, but I am kind of looking forward to the day because thats when I am getting my LR4!!"

Great truck

By on Wednesday, September 30, 2009

"Had it since 30k miles and now it has 95000K. so far no major problems. have changed the tires, brakes, belt and MAS sensor ($150) the truck runs like a horse. great in snow. parts are found online aftermarket and they are very economical. My garage is a tight sqeeze and have busted the same headlight 3 times and the aftermarket headlamp is $40. I will also drive it till it dies."

I would never buy another

By on Monday, May 18, 2009

"I bought my 2001 Land Rover in 2003, first mistake. It is my wife's vehicle and she drives very conservatively. Within the first 2 years of owning, we replaced the engine, the transfer case, the mass air flow sensor, the windshield three times- eventually due to the roof leaking, We took it to the Land Rover Dealership (1 hour away) 14 times for the headliner leaking. Currently there are four lights on on the dashboard panel. I do not think a car manufacturer could make a worse vehicle if they tried. Do not buy a used 2001 anytime soon, I'm dumping this vehicle on the market"

ROVER - GREAT VEHICLE LOTS OF EXPERIENCE

By on Thursday, January 22, 2009

"I HAVE HAD MY ROVER FOR OVER 4 YEARS, SADLY I MUST SELL IT TO PAY BILLS. I WILL SURELY BUY ANOTHER WHEN I CAN AFFORD IT. THE LAND ROVER IS AN OUTSTENDING VEHICLE. THE SMALL YET POWERFULL ENGINE DELIVERS EVERYTHING YOU WANT OUT OF A V8 WITH GREAT GAS MILAGE. THE DRIVETRAIN IS ROCK SOLID, SOLID AXLE FRONT AND REAR, THE TRANNY AND TRANSFER CASE ARE ALSO VERY VERY STRONG. THIS VEHICLE DRIVES GREAT ON THE ROAD ( A LITTLE TOP HEAVY) AND IT DOMINATES OFF-ROAD. NO STOCK JEEP OR TRUCK, HUMMERS INCLUDED, CAN DO WHAT A STOCK LAND ROVER CAN OFF-ROAD. THE TRACTION CONTROL SYSTEM WORKS BETTER THAN LOCKERS. I CANNOT SAY ENOUGH GREAT THINGS ABOUT ITS OFFROAD CAPABILITY. I BUILD OFF-ROAD VEHICLES FOR A LIVING, AND THIS TRUCK KEEPS UP WITH MY DRIVING DEMAND (DUNES, ROCKCLIMBING, MUD AND RIVER PASSING, DESERT RUNNING, ETC.) THE STYLING AND COMFORT ARE SECOND TO NONE, YOU CAN TELL YOU ARE IN A $50K TRUCK. ALL LEATHER, ALL POWER, ALL STANDARD. THE STEREO SYSTEM IN MINE IS 8 YEARS OLD AND PUMPS BETTER THAN AFTERMARKET SYSTEMS. OK, I WONT LIE, THEY DO HAVE SOME PROBLEMS. ELECTRICAL. THREE DOOR LOCKS AND TWO WINDOW SWITCHES HAVE GONE OUT ON ME. HOWEVER, THIS CAN BE A COMMON PROBLEM ON MOST NEW VEHICLES, AND DOES NOT COST MUCH TO REPLACE. I HAVE LIFTED MINE, WITH OFFROAD TIRES AND A FRONT DIFF LOCK. WHERE THE TRUCK WAS AMAZING BEFORE, ITS UNSTOPPABLE NOW. ONE LAST THING, THE ROVERS WITH THE DOUBLE LOCK SYSTEM (COMES STANDARD ON MOST KEYLESS ENTRY), THIS TRUCK CANNOT BE STOLEN. WHEN DOUBLE LOCKED OR "DEAD LOCKED" THE ROVER WONT LET YOU IN EVEN WITH A CUT KEY, EVEN IF YOU GET IN, IT WILL NOT START OR LET YOU OPEN THE DOORS. IT CANNOT BE STOLEN WHEN DOUBLE LOCKED. JUST DONT LOSE YOU KEY FOB! I COULD GO ON AND ON. THIS IS A GREAT VEHICLE, EVERYTHING PEOPLE SAY ABOUT HOW GOOD THEY ARE IS TRUE. LIKE ALL VEHICLES, SOMETIMES PEOPLE HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THEIR CAR OR TRUCK, ROVER IS NO EXCEPTION. HOWEVER, THEY ARE THE BEST 4X4 ON THE MARKET PERIOD. HOPE THIS HELPS!!!"

best 4x4

By on Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Pros: "the best"

Cons: "millage but who cares it is worth"

"the best 4x4, better than any cheap american SUV, better than any jeep, excellent 4x4."

Awesome

By on Saturday, March 06, 2010

"I recently purchased a 2002 land rover discovery and let me just say this is by far the best purchase I have made. Everything about the SUV is unique. From the comfy interior, the exotic look, and the overall performance this vehicle is hands down one of a kind!"

High Maintenance Vehicle

By on Thursday, February 05, 2009

"My husband and I purchased our 1999 Disc II in Feb 2002 and luckily purchased an extended warranty. The first year we had the vehicle the ABS senors where replaced on both sides 3 time, rear main seal replaced, windshield wiper motor replaced. The next few years we went along with routine maintenance that cost a small fortune to maintain. You have to have a dealer replace your plug wires which will set you back $200-$300. In the last year we have had to replace the drive shaft $600 part, a crank sensor - this was a scary one - I would be driving down the road and the rover would die, I would have to pull over and wait for the rover to cool down, once it did it would start back up, then 10 minutes later it would die again. As long as the engine was cool it would start right up but once it gets warm it dies - the part was $125 and could only be purchased from the dealer. Now I'm stranded again, this time we think it's the starter (another major expense). Other issues we've experienced are the ABS/Traction Control/Downward Slope lights go on and off all the time, this is what the ABS senors being replaced was suppose to fix but didn't. My right front passenger door can only be unlocked by leaning over the console to open. My windshield wipers will not work when it's cold outside, the rover has to be running for 10 minutes before they will work. And the worst is it only gets 8 to 10 miles to the gallon and only drinks premium gas. The back doors do not open up very far and is hard for the average adult to get in and out of. Overall, I have enjoyed driving my rover when it's running. Fortunately, my husband has been able to do alot of the repairs himself. I'm just afraid if I don't get rid of it now we will be faced with a major repair. I would recommend only buying a Land Rover if you have an endless pocket full of money."

Reliable, stylish, comfortable

By on Saturday, August 28, 2010

"I have a 2001 which I have now owned for two years. The problem with used cars is that you do not always know how well the prior owner took care of it. I did have some work done when I first got it. The antifreeze would disappear and this was due to a hose that needed to be replaced, and the power steering did go out on me, but I do have a great mechanic who is considerate and reliable, I buy the parts at Land Rover, and he does the work (recommended, I live in NY and it's super expensive to use the dealer). I have had a Toyota 4runner and a Mitsubishi Montero. The 4runner was in the shop more than on the road, so I got rid of it. The Montero in the first few years was great, I got it with 30,000 miles, then the engine started giving me problems, I ran this one to the ground. The comfort of the Discovery is outstanding, even the people on the third row seat are comfortable. Not the case with the Montero. I love this car, and would recommend it, however do become friendly with a good reliable mechanic, when you do have to repair, they are super expensive to do as you would expect with an imported luxury vehicle."

My First Vehicle

By on Tuesday, April 28, 2009

"I've had my 2000 Land Rover Discovery for almost 1 year. We've spent thousands replacing the head gaskets, hoses, and other gaskets. The roof leaks horribly. After even a short rain, if I make a left turn water comes pouring out of the roof. Overall, it's not comfortable and has lowest poor reliability rating of any other vehicle. But even after all this, I can't wait to buy my next one. Just remember, DO YOUR RESEARCH!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Land Rover Discovery Series II near Honolulu. See local deals