• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II

6.8

Based on 214 Ratings for the 1999 - 2002 models.

7.0/10
    7.4/10
    7.0/10
    7.5/10

Owned 10 years and it always took good care of me

By on Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Pros: "command seeting is the way to ride"

"This vehicle has served all purposes. With 2 children and two large labs we always got it done the Landrover discovery II series. The dealer was close and they were prompt and efficient when needed. I love this car and feel lucky to have owned and operated it for over a decade as my full time vehicle. Still going strong at over 120,000 miles.. regular oil changes = gold performance. Its only an 8 out of 10 because in 2001 they didn't have the technology they do today."

Absolutely love this vehicle!!

By on Sunday, December 11, 2011

Pros: "Beautiful vehicle, fun to drive"

Cons: "only con I found is that it takes premium gas only"

"This is a vehicle that you either love it or hate it, as for me I love my Rover. I bought it in January of '11 and have not had any major problems with it. I love the ride and the way I feel when I drive it. Has lots of power to the point of not realizing how fast you are going when you drive!! Knock wood, I've only gotten 1 speeding ticket in it....lol The look of it is amazing it's just says classy!! Unfortunately I have to sell mine and it's breaking my heart to do so but hopefully I will own another one some day. Just make sure that if you buy one that it has been well taken care of!"

VERY GOOD VEHICLE. THE RIDE IS GREAT

By on Thursday, September 01, 2011

"THE CAR HAS BEEN VERY DEPENTABLE BUT THE BIG V8 MOTOR DOES USE A LOT OF GAS. IT IS MY THIRD CAR SO I DO NOT USE IT ENOUGH."

What a disaster

By on Thursday, December 03, 2009

"Nothing about this SUV is cheap, and nothing lasts the way it should. You'll replace pads and at least front rotors every 16k. Wait until you see what THAT costs. Even the stupid wiper blades are ten times more expensive than everyone else! Gas milage is a disaster. That is, unless you get a huge discount on Premium gas and you think 10.5mpg is ok for a tank of gas. The highest I've seen in 8 years is 14.1mps, And that was 100% highway. At 50k miles, start thinking about lots and lots of engine work. The rear self-leveling suspension is so bad, there are companies that make shock and coil replacement kits for it. For a SUV that has such limited numbers in the US, that is a bad sign. This SUV is a nightmare for the owner..."

Let Me Save You the Trouble

By on Sunday, January 20, 2008

"I have a Certified Pre Owned 2002 Discovery II SE. Since I've had it its had the following work completed. Engine Replacement (over $6,000, though under warranty at the time), Valve Cover Gasket seal broke, which in turn dripped oil onto O2 sensors ruining them (somewhere around $2300), Coil Pack Failure (decided to replace both to avoid later headache ($1,300) Shuttle Valve Replacement ($2,000) Speed Sensor Failure ($500). Now my ABS, Downhill Descent and Traction Control lights are on - for a second time. Do yourself a favor, punch yourself in the face with a studded iron fist, that is more pleasurable than owning a Land Rover. P.S. no resale value. Admittedly, I expected an investment into maintenance, however, my idea of regular maintenance is more like breaks, oil changes, hoses, belts, fluid replacements etc. Not new engines, valve jobs, shuttle valves and coil packs. Oh, and one last thing. It only has 65,000 original miles on it."

Best suv I have ever owned

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Pros: "Fun capable looks great"

Cons: "Bad mpg"

"This truck will get you anywhere wrapped in luxury and covered with mud, super reliable I have owned three now not one has ever left me on the side of the road, could get better mpg's but who cares"

Unique looks, great style but expensive repairs

By on Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Pros: "Great styling and perfect for the outdoorsy person"

Cons: "expensive maintenance and parts, low gas milage"

"I purchased my 2002 DISCO in 2002 and have not had any major problems. As of last year i'm now starting to experience oil leaks, braking and suspension issues. My DISCO has been great to me over the past 10 years for the expecption of the hefty gas fund i've invested in it. I've been pretty good about keeping up with my maintenance, which in itself is a pricy bill each time i have it service for routine things. This model is not very comfortable inside for long distance driving or for tall passengers and it does not deliver very good horse power but it will haul a great deal and weather any terrain you encounter. I am definitely a Land Rover lover and would purchase another, i however would probably not recommend purchasing a used 2002 DISCO this late in the game."

Rover

By on Wednesday, March 04, 2009

"I purchased my 2001 Disco II new from the dealership in 2002. The truck has had all scheduled maintenance done by dealership since new. As for major repairs, I have had the following repairs done since purchase; Head gasket (leaking out not in/warrantied), door latch actuators (rear PAX door, rear gate, and drivers door/all warrantied), heads resurfaced (not warrantied), front prop shaft (warantied), front PAX hub assembly (Bad Bearing/warrantied), Drivers seat heating element (warrantied), Rear driver door molding(warrantied), fender flares (warrantied), Rear Roof trim (warrantied), Water Pump (warrantied), and various other preventative repairs to include wires, plugs, rotors, etc. Overall, this vehicle is a tank. It will go anywhere, although I have rarely ever taken it off road (a handful of times since new). The truck never has left me stranded, in fact, most of the time if there was a problem, I found out from the dealer during services. As you can see, the warranty is a good investment. If you require a vehicle that is bulletproof and will never leave you stranded in deep snow a Disco is your answer. Common problems with Disco's FYI are the Head Gasket, Front Prop Shaft, and door latch actuators. My Disco has 83500 on it, and it's going strong. Warranty expires in April of 09, so I have found a local Rover specialist to replace the dealer's premium charges. I highly recommend doing your research on a good honest Land Rover repair shop if you plan to buy a Disco. Great truck that requires maintenance. Thanks"

Expensive but worth it

By on Thursday, October 11, 2007

"I bought my 1999 Disco II with 8000 miles on it. Regretably I must say goodbye to it now. It has served me well. We have many miles together towing my Mastercraft Ski boat and my Porsche 944 Turbo S Race car. With the added trailer brakes, I never ran short of braking. The heater would cook you in the winter and the A/C would freeze you in the desert. The truck did incredible crossing streams, climbing hills and doing down steep slopes. It has plenty of room for race car stuff and camping gear. The HDC mode is a huge plus creeping down hills. The Standard ABS saved me many times in the rain when idiots pulled out. The gas milage is what I expected. 13 in the city and 17 on the highway. Towing the race car I got 10 mpg and the boat would get 13. The heads were rebuilt twice. The transmission never missed a beat nor did the dual LSD axles. Just now it has begun a leak at the front transfer case. Maintenance averaged about $3000 per year, but that is what I was expecting. This was not an inexpensive vehicle to maintain. You want cheap? Get a Jeep. You want class? Get a Land Rover."

Really Good SUV but awful expensive repairs!!

By on Wednesday, January 06, 2010

"I bought my 2002 LR Discovery in 2001 and knock on wood, haven't had any major problems. But the maintenance and repairs cost so much. And I mean for little things. During the warranty, naturally things went smooth but once it ran out, oh man, the cost of simple repairs blew my mind. Didn't know this beforehand. One thing, the brake pads always seem to need replacing and they are quite pricey. Styling, comfortable (I'm 6'6"), nice cargo space I all love but thinking of letting go because I can't afford the high repair cost. Just now learning also LOW resale value."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Land Rover Discovery Series II near Honolulu. See local deals