2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II

6.8

Based on 217 Ratings for the 1999 - 2002 models.

7.0/10
    7.4/10
    7.1/10
    7.5/10

High Maintenance Vehicle

By on Thursday, February 05, 2009

"My husband and I purchased our 1999 Disc II in Feb 2002 and luckily purchased an extended warranty. The first year we had the vehicle the ABS senors where replaced on both sides 3 time, rear main seal replaced, windshield wiper motor replaced. The next few years we went along with routine maintenance that cost a small fortune to maintain. You have to have a dealer replace your plug wires which will set you back $200-$300. In the last year we have had to replace the drive shaft $600 part, a crank sensor - this was a scary one - I would be driving down the road and the rover would die, I would have to pull over and wait for the rover to cool down, once it did it would start back up, then 10 minutes later it would die again. As long as the engine was cool it would start right up but once it gets warm it dies - the part was $125 and could only be purchased from the dealer. Now I'm stranded again, this time we think it's the starter (another major expense). Other issues we've experienced are the ABS/Traction Control/Downward Slope lights go on and off all the time, this is what the ABS senors being replaced was suppose to fix but didn't. My right front passenger door can only be unlocked by leaning over the console to open. My windshield wipers will not work when it's cold outside, the rover has to be running for 10 minutes before they will work. And the worst is it only gets 8 to 10 miles to the gallon and only drinks premium gas. The back doors do not open up very far and is hard for the average adult to get in and out of. Overall, I have enjoyed driving my rover when it's running. Fortunately, my husband has been able to do alot of the repairs himself. I'm just afraid if I don't get rid of it now we will be faced with a major repair. I would recommend only buying a Land Rover if you have an endless pocket full of money."

best 4x4

By on Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Pros: "the best"

Cons: "millage but who cares it is worth"

"the best 4x4, better than any cheap american SUV, better than any jeep, excellent 4x4."

My First Vehicle

By on Tuesday, April 28, 2009

"I've had my 2000 Land Rover Discovery for almost 1 year. We've spent thousands replacing the head gaskets, hoses, and other gaskets. The roof leaks horribly. After even a short rain, if I make a left turn water comes pouring out of the roof. Overall, it's not comfortable and has lowest poor reliability rating of any other vehicle. But even after all this, I can't wait to buy my next one. Just remember, DO YOUR RESEARCH!"

great ride

By on Wednesday, April 15, 2009

"Utility says it all. Awesome 4 wheel drive system, towing capacity & towing performance. Stereo better than most homes. Tires wear better than a sedan. Only one negative... Fuel economy is poor, 12 - 16 mpg tops."

Love the Truck

By on Tuesday, September 09, 2008

"I have wanted a Rover for years, I finally bought my 2002, several people told me not to, but I had to have one. I bought mine in August of 2007, by August of 2008 I had put 34000 miles on my car. I have had a few mechanical issues, replaced passenger window regulator, cost $150.00 from dealer, installed myself. New starter, found a Rover starter on eBay, shipping and all $93.00 with twelve month warranty. Rear sunroof leaked, took to a window reapir shop, downspout was stopped up, they cleaned it out for $20.00, no more leak. Head gaskets were leaking, took to my mechanic, he put an additive into the water, no more leaks, cost $30.00 maybe. I have had him to look over the car before any trips, he always tells me that everything looks good. I have no major leaks or concerns, with over 100000 miles it looks good. As with any car there are going to be issues, but a regular maintenance routine will help to keep a lot of expense down. And by the way guys, there are a lot of certified Rover mechanics that have there on shops, and they charge a lot less than dealerships, anywhere from a fourth to a third of a dealer......open your phone book. I will definitely have another or two......."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Land Rover Discovery Series II near Honolulu. See local deals