1999 Land Rover Discovery Series II

6.8

Based on 211 Ratings for the 1999 - 2002 models.

7.0/10
    7.4/10
    7.1/10
    7.5/10

Not too pleased.

By on Tuesday, May 20, 2014

"Bought this car on a used car lot, thought great deal. Nothing but misery from the cooling system, absolutely dreadful design. Just blew my second head gasket, first one 6 months into owning it, another grand to fix, again, gonna sell it for parts. Note....everything else was stellar, little top heavy, but really nice off road."

Excellent travel car, w/o kids, seats 8

By on Saturday, April 19, 2014

Pros: "space, comfort, dependability, appearance,"

Cons: "not as quick or quiet as LandCruiser"

"New Coil rear suspension, rear music, room for tv for kids DVD. Air controls front and rear. Cold air"

Good Winter Vehicle, Bad for Cost and Value

By on Monday, November 11, 2013

Reason: Bad MPG's, High Cost to Maintain

Pros: "Prestige, looks pretty, lots of room"

Cons: "Bad MPG's, High Ownership Costs, Always Leaking"

"I owned a 2000 Land Rover Discovery II for just about 2 years. I purchased it with 115,000 miles and sold it at 139,000 miles. It was a beautiful vehicle and I always felt special driving it, like an architect or a lawyer or something because it looks very refined(I am an engineer). However, it was a love-hate relationship with this vehicle. First off, I almost overpaid for it because of the name "Land Rover," but ended up getting an actually great deal well below book value. Then, the problems started, and it ALWAYS had some kind of water leak. When it comes time to fix or replace parts on this vehicle, NOTHING is cheap. The cost of ownership is VERY high, I guess this is why only lawyers and such drive them. Also, I was averaging about 10 MPG, with a stock, dealer maintained vehicle and light driving! It also had horrible acceleration, and always felt like it didn't want to stop. Needless to say, this vehicle was sold, and I ended up getting a 35 MPG 4 cylinder car that is much cheaper to maintain. I will say that I truly miss this vehicle, as it was what I first picked up my spouse in, had our first date, and was essentially the "white horse" I once saddled upon. I also miss the "prestige" I used to feel when driving it. Even so, I am saving about $400 a month in gas and insurance costs since we sold it (for more than book value), so it was for the best to part with this vehicle. If you are looking to purchase one, you will love it, as long as you have deep pockets. I will add that although this vehicle did have it's many issues, It never broke down or left us stranded anywhere, anytime, and always got us where we needed to go safely."

Gonna miss her - she's been great.

By on Friday, October 25, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive - looks great"

Cons: "Should have been a diesel!"

"This ole gal has seen some rough use. From skiing in Bosnia (where part of the highway was a riverbed, to hauling down to Split, Croatia at 115MPH, to driving in Wash DC traffic, to going across the US of A and back to living in Burma for four years where a 2 hour drive would could get you 30 miles out of town, and surviving a flood. We've put a little money into it, but considering who had to work on it, where, w/o parts etc, we've really done very little to it. Very comfy ride, still luxurious in this day and age and a real joy to drive. Can't count the number of broken down Jeeps we've passed!"

tough truck but very expensive to fix

By on Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Pros: "safe, great looking, great, 4x4, very durable"

Cons: "bad gas mileage, expensive to maintain"

"i bought this truck just a year ago. it had low mileage for its age, (100,000), but i didn't expect all the problems i paid to fix. after a week of owning it i had to fix, O-rings, head gasket, water pump, all new rotors and brakes, and within a couple of months from now i need a new transfer case. the owner before me had a dealership service done every 3000 miles. i'm disappointed with the quality same with my dad whose had five range rovers. so now I'm $5000 into fixing it and that is what its worth! but overall i love the way it rides, it sits nice and high.i also love the styling of the truck, i find it absolutely beautiful, but it could use some more horsepower but with the way its geared from land rover, it seems like it has enough. i also which it could get better mileage (i average twelve miles), and that's ,mostly highway and a little bit city. I've ask our land rover mechanic how it get more gas mileage and he said the only way is to bore out the motor, which he added it's not worth it, if you can't do it yourself.so all in all, my dad said to drive it till it doesn't run anymore, but since the repairs, it runs like a champ and has never left me stranded"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Land Rover Discovery Series II near Honolulu. See local deals