• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2014 Kia Sportage Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $24,280 - $24,815.

10/7.5

Based on 113 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

Hands down best value ! - owned for 2 years

By on Monday, August 25, 2014

Pros: "Best Value, spacious, attractive design"

Cons: "Thick window pillars"

"When I bought this car, I was comparing it to the following vehicles: Honda CRV, Toyota Rav4, Hyundai Tuscon, Mitsubishi Outlander Sport, VW Tiguan, and the Subaru Forester. All these vehicles are in a similar price range. VALUE: 10/10 The first thing I noticed when comparing the prices and options was that the Hyundai and Kia models were a much better value. Things that came standard on the Kia and Hyundai were sold as extras on the other models. This is why I gave this car a 10/10 on value. RELIABILITY: 10/10 I've owned this car for 2 years and I have had no problems whatsoever. The fact that it comes with a 10 year powertrain warranty says a lot about this car's reliability. QUALITY: 9/10 The reason I docked 1 point was because the seat fabric looks a little cheaper looking, but then again I could have paid for the leather package. Everything else is comparable to the other models in terms of quality. DRIVING DYNAMICS: 10/10 This car drives great. Some people complain about the road noise, but I don't notice it much at all. I feel that those that are complaining are probably comparing this car to luxury vehicles in the $30,000+ range. DESIGN: 9/10 In this price range, this car gets a perfect 10/10 for the exterior. KIA and Hyundai have done a 360 and completely redesigned their cars. No more child like looking cars from the past. I love the overall design of both the interior and exterior of the car. I would give the interior an 8/10. The reason I docked 2 points is because of the thick windshield pillars. I find them to be too thick which gives you a rather large blind spot. I suspect that these thick pillars are the reason this car got excellent rollover ratings from the consumerreports website. COMFORT: 8/10 I don't get what people are talking about when they say the seats are uncomfortable. I've driven dozens of cars and I have I would say that these seats are comparable to most vehicles. Of course if you are comparing it to a luxury vehicle, then you might not me so happy. I've driven 300 miles nonstop (LA to Vegas) several times and I have never experienced any discomfort. I'll also add that I'm a skinny guy with less padding on the rear than most! One thing I'll say is that the door arm rests and the center arm rest needs more padding. OVERALL RATING: 9/10 I am very happy with my purchase."

Huge value. $21,500

By on Saturday, August 09, 2014

Pros: "Reliability, low price, style, sporty handling!"

Cons: "Bouncy ride @ low speeds rough roads. At speed O.K"

"Very good dealership in Capitola, Ca. Bought Red with light grey interior. Did you know that exterior was designed by an Audi stylist! Know wonder it looks so gooood in actual metal. Better than photos!"

The most uncomfortable car I have ever had

By on Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Pros: "Steering wheel is smooth, visibility"

Cons: "EXTREMELY uncomfortable seats, no interior storage"

"I completely regret getting a 2014 Kia Sportage LX. I test drove an EX with leather seats that were comfortable. However, I decided to go with an LX with fabric seats. I did this because they wanted almost $400 a month for the EX. It's a KIA for crying out loud. Anyway, the drivers seat and positioning is extremely awkward and uncomfortable. The seat is rock hard and digs into your back like a fist. The LX doesn't have many adjustment options. You can only change the height, the back of the chair from back to front, and slide the whole seat forward and back. The steering wheel is positioned awkwardly as it is too tilted forward. The brake pedal sticks out too far so it is uncomfortable accelerating and braking. I was so excited to get something different because I have always had Hondas and they never let me down. Don't be tricked by the Sportage's good looks, go with a Honda CRV, Toyota Rav 4 or Subaru Forrester."

A comfortable easy to drive SUV. Very responsive 4

By on Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Pros: "Easy handling, excellent driving position."

Cons: "Lack of fold flat resr seats;black interior."

"The only drawback is the lack of rear seat cupholders, and a black interior. Never again on a black interior. The only other pet peeve is the lack of being able to fold the rear seats down flat for a completely flat rear cargo space."

Love this car! Quick and zippy, cute inside & out!

By on Monday, July 07, 2014

Pros: "Great Price, Fun to Drive"

Cons: "Interior Carpet"

"Love this car! Quick and zippy, cute inside & out!"

Very reliable, great value

By on Thursday, July 03, 2014

"Ride a little rough, black interior shows stains that are difficult to remove"

Great car

By on Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Pros: "Great car"

Cons: "Couldn't. Find any"

"Great car"

Good value for the money, fun to drive

By on Monday, June 09, 2014

Pros: "fun, looks good, many features, compact design"

Cons: "winter road handling, mpg s/b better"

"It's a very nice small SUV, "a cute ute" with a lot of bells and whistles and decent mpg. It has been good to me, no issues...and the maneuverability, handling and overall appearance is nice. It is limited in rear cargo space and towing capability, so I can't imagine really using this to do anything off-road or adventurous. It's a 4-banger which is great for commuting and everyday errands. Have to say the traction in winter is bad...could be the 18" rims and low profile tires but I say it just not a good winter vehicle. Yet overall, better than average vehicle. For the right location and right person, it will be perfect."

I love my Sportage

By on Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Pros: "Style, comfort and adjustability, accessories"

Cons: "could be quieter. 23,000 miles and need new tires"

"I have been exceptionally happy with the Sportage. Perfect size for me, enough cargo space. Like the adjustable height in the driver's seat as well as the heated/cooled front seats. Comfortable on long trips. Leather package holding up well. Is a little noisier than my previous vehicle which was a sedan. Very sharp looking, 3 years old and I still get positive comments from strangers. Panoramic sun roof MPG as advertised"

Good, almost great

By on Saturday, May 10, 2014

"2012 Sportage EX AWD with premium package. I’ve owned the car for about four months now and love it overall – makes me enjoy driving more again. A few positives: looks, peppy, tight turn ratio, smooth riding (except speed bumps). I get ave. 23-25 mpg and 26-38 mpg highway-only. Front seats are not uncomfortable, but could be slightly more “cushy”. I have to say the biggest irritation with the car is oddly the steering wheel position – at its farthest it does not come down near low enough for me and I am an average 5’6 125lbs. It is a very oddly frustrating thing they missed in this design flaw; if I sit with the seat in the right position for the wheel, my head is almost touching the roof nor far from the pillar and I don’t feel safe. If I sit at a comfortable level from the roof, the steering wheel is so high it feels like attempting to drive a bus. It lessens my steering ability ease and quickness, which would be more dangerous in a jam. I have already noticed a hindrance a few times. Other negatives, in order of importance: (1) solid front corner, back corner, and rear blind spots (even with convex stick-on mirrors) (2) very low paint quality not made to last for the long-term: looks good, but there is only 36k on my car and a PLETHORA of small dings and chips over the entire front of the car. My 120k mile, 14-year-old Mustang didn’t even have those. (3) The premium sound does not contain speakers nor produce sound most would consider “premium” and what one expects to receive when purchasing this option for a reason. I believe all they did was add more speakers and an amp, leading to (4) there is absolutely no sound leveling, so the bass level between one song to the next is atrocious and impossible not to notice, even if the volume is not up high. One will thump you out of the car and the next song you couldn’t hear bass if you have it at 100%; disturbing. Also, the only thing I have found that does not function on the vehicle – is the speed-based-volume. (5) There is a noise coming from my steering wheel that is only noticed when first starting the car and pulling out – sounds like something simple like plastic or external materials rubbing when turning the wheel, but who am I to say it isn’t something more serious. (6) I am a woman I found that the gas pedal is dangerous while wearing heels (again, something that never existed with the Mustang. My heels slides on the plastic piece attached to the bottom of the pedal, forcing me to take them off to drive; I have carpeted what I could, but still don’t feel is a non-issue as was in previous car. (7) Sometimes somewhere between 1st and 3rd gear the car acts like it’s not sure what it wants to do so stutters, or more accurately – it feels like when you shift a stick shift of a truck into gear. Has only been minor so far – hoping it stays a non-issue. (8) The back seat does not recline nor move. Appears they added this feature on the new models. Cheapness: The first test-drive, I passed on the car solely because my logic was if the interior felt this cheap (mainly the dash and hollow “handles” surrounding the cup holders), that doesn’t reassure me that the mechanics are not the same and this car will last me over the years. I still have a concern for this for the future because after purchasing the car, I found that I can bend in both the front and back bumper areas with my fingers. WOW; talk about solid. ?! However, even with those drawbacks (could also do without the entirely-glass roof - gives me anxiety), I still really like the vehicle. As long as nothing major changes, I could definitely keep this long term."

Owned this SUV for a week now.

By on Saturday, May 03, 2014

Pros: "great feeling machine. fantastic value"

Cons: "cant complain about a thing"

"Owned this vehicle for a week now. Second KIA I've owned in the past year. First one was a Soul 2U 2010. No real issues with it. Decided to jump into a new KIA. The sportage with the GDI 2.4 and a 6 speed stick is very peppy! If you're light footed the fuel economy is acceptable (at around 10 l per 100 km) Great feel while driving. Everything is tight and performs at a level above what you might expect for the dollar amount. I would definitely recommend looking into a KIA product and doing a comparison. Extremely happy with my purchase"

Overall great vehicle

By on Friday, April 25, 2014

"Nothing other than routine maintenance required on it. Reliable. Here in mountains of PA, the weather/roads get slippery in the winter. Did not do well (even with AWD) until I placed winter tires on it and it then went like a tank. Gas mileage decent also."

Great car for the price.

By on Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Pros: "great price, comfortable seats, great value"

Cons: "not very good speakers"

"This is my second Kia Sportage, and I would definitely but it again. Very good value for the money. The only "problem" I ever seen so far is not very good speakers. I would certainly buy different car if I had bigger budget, but for this price, I cannot see better deal."

Fantastic car

By on Sunday, April 06, 2014

Pros: "Great value"

Cons: "could use an 18 gallon gas tank instead of 16."

"I rented one of these on a recent vacation and put it at the top of my shopping list. I'm tall and have a bad back. A small SUV is easier to get in and out of for me, so I got the Sportage EX with all the options. I traded a 2012 Optima EX with 78K miles for this car last Friday night. Got a fabulous deal. Never had one problem with the Kia Optima. Least expensive car to maintain that I've ever owned. We also have a 2012 Kia Sedona van. Incredible products at any price."

Best Car Ever

By on Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Pros: "Roomy, fun to drive, back up sensors are amazing!"

Cons: "Wouldn't mind if it had a little more room in back"

"Might have done a review on this car before so this might just be an update. Still loving the Sportage!!! My husband and I had been looking for a car to replace my Ford Windstar for a couple of years, but every time we would test drive a vehicle that we thought could be the one, it ended up really falling short of our expectations. I had really liked the new look of the Sportage and had previously owned a Hyundia and hoped the Kia was up to snuff. We test drove the Honda CRV and I didn't care for the seats, they were hard and uncomfortable. It drove well but I didn't want to be in it for more than a few minutes. I never thought my husband would go for a Kia, he is a ford/Jeep kind of guy, but he drove it and agreed it felt good. He also liked the safety rating on the Sportage, being we have two little princesses to drive around. They and into lacrosse and cheer and the back holds all their gear, plus our 60 pound dog! Couldn't be more happy with this vehicle, so glad we waited to make the right choice!"

Quick and sporty

By on Monday, March 24, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, great gas mileage."

Cons: "Hard sporty ride, hard seats, but that's how we !"

"Owned car for 1.5 years. Very sporty, great gas mileage, quick and nimble. A small suv but does not look like the rest of the SUVs that size. Regular maintenance, just oil, filter and lub every 7500 miles. I have the upgraded SX model, it's loaded, would cost $20k more if a infinity or Acura. Push start very cool. Great tires and rims too."

Turned out to be a disappointment.

By on Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Expensive in the long run (fuel and parts)"

"I was very happy when I bought this car. It was loaded and I really enjoyed the roominess and the experience of a cross-over. Over time, however, I noticed that I was not getting the mileage that the manufacturer said I would get. Turns out, they admitted that this year and model was incorrectly advertised for the mileage it would actually get. Had problems with the rear window wiper; had to replace it (the whole arm) twice in three years (the second time the part was just over one year old). This is the last Kia I will buy."

One of the best vehicles I have owned. FANTASTIC

By on Saturday, March 15, 2014

Pros: "Fun to Drive, Avg 28 MPG, Comfortable, Panorama!"

Cons: "Shocks are a little tight so you feel the potholes"

My Beautiful STELLA!

"One of the best vehicles I have owned. FANTASTIC, from the great AWD, to the roomy interior, to the great sound system. I would not hesitate to recommend this car to anyone, I've had mine since it had 2 miles on it."

My Beautiful STELLA!

Drives realy nice Good value for the money

By on Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Pros: "looks,Quality,Performence"

Cons: "noise"

"Overall the Kia Sportage is a real nice car. the only thing I would like to see improved is the noise level and a little smoother ride.You can't beat the Warrenty."

Love the car, LOTS of compliments on it. An issue

By on Friday, February 14, 2014

"I would change if I could would be the front roof posts are wide and thus create a blind spot that requires extra alertness. Otherwise great vehicle, love the 6 spd transmission and living in Wisconsin I have had quite a few opportunities to use the AWD feature and it is at least as effective as the 4wd Jeep Liberty I traded."

2011 Kia Sportage - Low Miles - Single Owner

By on Tuesday, February 11, 2014

"Grey exterior, leather interior, dual sun roofs, excellent condition, only 24,000 miles. Looks brand new and still has new car smell! Firm $18,500 Blue book is $19,700"

2013 Kia Sportage SX AWD w/Turbo

By on Sunday, January 26, 2014

Pros: "Sporty, great priced, great milage, fun to drive"

Cons: "No digital speedometer, no rear heat/ac vents/cont"

"My husband and I just bought this vehicle in black. Talk about sporty and stylish! We LOVE this vehicle! The only thing we would change about it, is we would love to have a digital speedometer. It is so easy to go way over the speed limit without realizing it, yes, I know there is a speedometer provided, however the digital read out keeps you more alert. This vehicle provides such a super smooth ride, my husband was surprised at how much he really enjoys driving this Kia. We have the heat & cooled seats, which have come in handy already for winter time. Just wished the same was provided for the back seat. Love the dual side heat/air controls, however there is room and the right style to have a split heat/air for the backseat, which is a shame this vehicle is not equipped with. Over all though, we are very happy with our new car (well, new to us)."

Best vehicle I have owned ever!

By on Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Pros: "AWD mpg, Sirrius radio/traffic, GPS, fit & finish"

Cons: "no power passenger seat, thick "C" pillar"

"I am not your typical Sportage buyer, (6' 2" and 285 lbs). I was 64 years old when I bought it! In 50 years of buying cars, vans and SUVs I had never bought a vehicle the first year of production until I bought my AWD 2011 Kia Sportage EX . I got all the options and the "Orange" interior package, so I missed out on the cooled seats ( no big loss). I later added the LED interior light package, side step running boards and the hood protector. looking at adding puddle lights now. roof rack and trailer hitch in the summer. Updated my map last year and the new version is vastly superior than the old map. Basically all I have done to it is change oil every 3000 miles and had the Kia recommended service and put gas in it. There have not been any other problems with it. other than I get BETTER highway milage than the 28mpg listed. My best so far has been 31.7mpg (no that is NOT a typo!) All Kia needs to do to improve the Sportage is use more soft touch materials on the dash and doors, add a power passenger seat, add shift paddles, and add a porthole in the "C" pillar and. an oil pressure and amp gauges would be a nice addition to the instrument cluster. Any vehicle I get after my Sportage EX will have a difficult time in matching it in fun to drive, initial build quality, lack of problems and sharp exterior styling."

Great car for the price.

By on Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Pros: "Price, reliability, comfort."

Cons: "Steering less than precise."

"I am 75 years old and a complete car nut. I have owned over 110 (yes, you read it right) cars since my 16th birthday. I have had muscle cars in the late 60s and luxury cars as I grew more mature. From Cadillacs, to hot-rods, to VWs. This Kia ranks among the best. Reliable, comfortable, inexpensive to buy and operate. I would buy one again."

HappyMama

By on Thursday, January 16, 2014

"I owned a 2005 V6 Kia Sportage but for divorce purposes had to trade in for another vehicle. I liked my 2005 so I went with another Sportage. I never owned a brand new vehicle before but figured why not. The 2013 Sportage is amazing. 4 cylinder but so much more power & better on gas than my 2005. I can't be happier. she's a great car that I would recommend to anyone looking for a small SUV, plus the features that come with the 2013 compared to my old one, awesome."