• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2014 Kia Sportage Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $24,120 - $24,711.

10/7.5

Based on 115 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

Great value for the money, needs few improvements

By on Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Pros: "Great value for the money"

Cons: "Needs radio visor and better gas mileage"

"After shopping the competition bought the Sportage because of the surprising quality for the money. The fit and finish is comparable to CRV but seems quicker and quieter. Biggest annoyance is the inability to see the radio settings at all during bright daylight.. The gas mileage could certainly be better but for the price I can't complain that much because it feels like I am driving a more expensive vehicle with all wheel drive."

Excellent and reliable

By on Monday, September 01, 2014

Pros: "Great features"

Cons: "None really"

"Not a single problem to report in 37000 miles. Fuel economy is outstanding. I average 27 around town and have gotten as high as 34 on the hwy. Excellent and quiet cruiser on the open road. Enough power for safe passing on secondary roads. I looked at the Honda, Chevy and Ford small SUV's and ended up with the KIA for the price and long list of standard features. We currently own 2 KIA's and I would recommend them to anyone."

Hands down best value ! - owned for 2 years

By on Monday, August 25, 2014

Pros: "Best Value, spacious, attractive design"

Cons: "Thick window pillars"

"When I bought this car, I was comparing it to the following vehicles: Honda CRV, Toyota Rav4, Hyundai Tuscon, Mitsubishi Outlander Sport, VW Tiguan, and the Subaru Forester. All these vehicles are in a similar price range. VALUE: 10/10 The first thing I noticed when comparing the prices and options was that the Hyundai and Kia models were a much better value. Things that came standard on the Kia and Hyundai were sold as extras on the other models. This is why I gave this car a 10/10 on value. RELIABILITY: 10/10 I've owned this car for 2 years and I have had no problems whatsoever. The fact that it comes with a 10 year powertrain warranty says a lot about this car's reliability. QUALITY: 9/10 The reason I docked 1 point was because the seat fabric looks a little cheaper looking, but then again I could have paid for the leather package. Everything else is comparable to the other models in terms of quality. DRIVING DYNAMICS: 10/10 This car drives great. Some people complain about the road noise, but I don't notice it much at all. I feel that those that are complaining are probably comparing this car to luxury vehicles in the $30,000+ range. DESIGN: 9/10 In this price range, this car gets a perfect 10/10 for the exterior. KIA and Hyundai have done a 360 and completely redesigned their cars. No more child like looking cars from the past. I love the overall design of both the interior and exterior of the car. I would give the interior an 8/10. The reason I docked 2 points is because of the thick windshield pillars. I find them to be too thick which gives you a rather large blind spot. I suspect that these thick pillars are the reason this car got excellent rollover ratings from the consumerreports website. COMFORT: 8/10 I don't get what people are talking about when they say the seats are uncomfortable. I've driven dozens of cars and I have I would say that these seats are comparable to most vehicles. Of course if you are comparing it to a luxury vehicle, then you might not me so happy. I've driven 300 miles nonstop (LA to Vegas) several times and I have never experienced any discomfort. I'll also add that I'm a skinny guy with less padding on the rear than most! One thing I'll say is that the door arm rests and the center arm rest needs more padding. OVERALL RATING: 9/10 I am very happy with my purchase."

Huge value. $21,500

By on Saturday, August 09, 2014

Pros: "Reliability, low price, style, sporty handling!"

Cons: "Bouncy ride @ low speeds rough roads. At speed O.K"

"Very good dealership in Capitola, Ca. Bought Red with light grey interior. Did you know that exterior was designed by an Audi stylist! Know wonder it looks so gooood in actual metal. Better than photos!"

The most uncomfortable car I have ever had

By on Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Pros: "Steering wheel is smooth, visibility"

Cons: "EXTREMELY uncomfortable seats, no interior storage"

"I completely regret getting a 2014 Kia Sportage LX. I test drove an EX with leather seats that were comfortable. However, I decided to go with an LX with fabric seats. I did this because they wanted almost $400 a month for the EX. It's a KIA for crying out loud. Anyway, the drivers seat and positioning is extremely awkward and uncomfortable. The seat is rock hard and digs into your back like a fist. The LX doesn't have many adjustment options. You can only change the height, the back of the chair from back to front, and slide the whole seat forward and back. The steering wheel is positioned awkwardly as it is too tilted forward. The brake pedal sticks out too far so it is uncomfortable accelerating and braking. I was so excited to get something different because I have always had Hondas and they never let me down. Don't be tricked by the Sportage's good looks, go with a Honda CRV, Toyota Rav 4 or Subaru Forrester."