• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2009 Kia Sportage

Based on 301 Ratings for the 2005 - 2010 models.

Great simple, reliable, around town car

By on Monday, December 23, 2013

Pros: "Low cost, reliable, good cargo capacity"

Cons: "Poor gas mileage, low power"

"This is one of the best values in a car you can buy. Nothing fancy here, not loaded with the latest features but is extremely reliable, very low cost of ownership, not high powered but adequate for what it is. Surprisingly comfortable on the highway. Good cargo capacity."

ADVISED OTHERS TO BUY ONE.

By on Saturday, December 21, 2013

Pros: "Easy to drive. Great Price. Many Uses."

Cons: "Location of some controls could be better."

"I love this car. I bought it new in 2006. As soon as a few people saw me driving it, they started asking questions. My mail carrier (rural) bought one after seeing mine and talking about it. I retired in 2005 so have not put as many miles on it as I could have. It is around 40,000. However, it has been reliable and will be useful for me for many more years, I hope. I don't use the 4wd much as I live in an area without much snow. It has been useful a few times though. Lots of room inside for carrying. A little difficult for my Daughter-in-law to get in and out of (she has Cerebral Palsy); but really it is a great vehicle. Easy to control, park, etc. I do wish the buttons for 4WD and ESC were in a different location as I have often accidently pushed them when getting in the car...to my surprise later."

Great little SUV for the price

By on Thursday, December 19, 2013

Pros: "reliable"

Cons: "comfort"

"I have owned this car since new in 2006. My wife drives it on a 100 mile round trip commute 5 days a week. We have never had any major issues with our Sportage. The only thing is the seats are not the most comfortable on long trips. 130K and still going strong. My wife will not let me trade in or Sportage, she says it has another 100K in her. I just purchased a 2014 Kia Soul in November, an I love this kia as well. I am not very fond of KIA dealerships in my area, but like Kia as a brand."

They got it right!

By on Saturday, November 09, 2013

Pros: "great value, fun to drive, great design!"

"I bought this car used in 2009 and have loved it since day 1. With the V6 engine this car is very peppy. I get about 21 mpg which is normal for a V6. This has been a very reliable vehicle with no issues beyond normal wear and tear. There are a number of design features that make this vehicle a stellar value. I drive with headlights on all the time and I can just leave the switch on and the headlights automatically turn off when the car is off. The cigarette lighter is always on so I can charge my phone when the vehicle is not running. The back seat folds flat which allows better use of the storage area. The driver seat is very adjustable for driving comfort. This vehicle handles great on the road and is very fun to drive. It handles rough roads very well with adequate ground clearance."

Love my Sportage!

By on Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Pros: "handles well,good visibility, lots of cargo room"

Cons: "The hitch weight rating is very low for towing"

"One recommendation I would make is to get better tires on it if you do any winter driving. The original tires were no good in the snow. I replaced with Nokian all season radials and they have been great. They provided a smoother ride in the summer and much more efficient handling in the winter. My model does not have all wheel or 4 wheel drive and is now fine in the snow."