• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2008 Kia Sportage

Based on 309 Ratings for the 2005 - 2010 models.

No Resale value

By on Monday, October 13, 2014

Pros: "Reasonable price,powerful.good radio"

Cons: "no resale,to small"

"Has lots of extras for the price.Lots of power for a small engine."

Great AWD / 4x4 / V-6 SUV Sportage

By on Monday, September 01, 2014

Pros: "Best sportage Kia made / No longer make AWD/4x4 EX"

Cons: "Don't have a 6 speed tran.s & silver colored trim"

"After about 7,500 miles eng. broke in 3 oil changes car consistently gets 25.4 mpg at 70 mph "no air running" 2 friends have standard 4cyl.front drive sportages they get 21 & 22 mpg on hwy. !!"

have owned for 4 years, very reliable but ...

By on Saturday, August 30, 2014

Pros: "reliable and good quality"

Cons: "lousy traction in bad weather"

"have owned for > 4yrs, very reliable and reasonable ride; does slip easily on wet roads and is terrible on hills in snow. Overall, I have been very happy with car, just wish it had better traction!!!"

Surprisingly Reliable

By on Saturday, August 30, 2014

Pros: "kept it's style - still looks good."

Cons: "I thought the mileage would be better."

"This car is holding up better than my expectations. I've never held a car this long and I'm very happy with it. Repairs have been mimimal. Hope when I get a new one they're as good. My only complaint is that I didn't get the 6-Cyl because I live in the mountains and need it for passing on a hill. Not a trophy car but real nice."

Extremely Safe

By on Monday, August 11, 2014

Pros: "Safe, reliable, low maintenance"

Cons: "Very low horsepower"

"Yesterday I had to say good bye to my sportage. Got into a head on crash today at 45 mph, then slid into a pole & brick wall. My wife, dog, & I all walked away completely safe with only minor bumps and bruises. If I had a kid who needed a car, this would be nice reliable and safe vehicle."

Great car. Love it

By on Saturday, August 02, 2014

Pros: "Excellent performance."

Cons: "No issues."

"When it comes time to trade it in, I will do so on another Kia. It is a strong reliable car."

Best car I have ever owned

By on Thursday, July 17, 2014

Pros: "all around a great vehicle"

"I think this vehicle is great. I have had this vehicle since brand new and beside regular maintenance I have not been to the dealership. Nothing has gone wrong with this vehicle that is why I rate this vehicle a ten."

Best value for the $

By on Saturday, July 12, 2014

Pros: "Good mileage, minimal maintenance, cute car"

Cons: "Road noise, upholstery quality"

"I had a Sportage from 06-13. I am not one to maintain vehicles as recommended-I didn't even get oil changes very often. Yet this car held up to me with MINIMAL repairs (O2 sensor, bearings, brakes). I drive combined city/highway and typically travel 80 mph on the highway. This car didn't fail me until late 2013. The ONLY reason I didn't buy another one is because I was in a hurry and dealers didn't have one with the options I wanted. My daughter is in the process of buying one--knowing the experience I had with mine. This is BY FAR one of the BEST entry level vehicles on the road!"

Kia Sportage, is it worth the money?

By on Friday, July 04, 2014

"The pro's of this vehicle are... Cheap SUV, great visibility of blind spots, nice dash and plastics, and a wonderful warranty. The con's of this vehicle are... Very weak V6, bad gas mileage, horrible pick up/power, rough cornering, and cheaper cloth seats. Personal experiences with this vehicle.... We are occurring an electrical problem that will randomly lock the vehicle with out the use of the fob. The pick up on the vehicle is utterly horrible, however to manage good gas mileage you have to endure a painfully slow start from a stop sign or a red light. Cornering in the vehicle at 10-15 miles an hour provides a somewhat frightening experience. The vehicle has a lot of "Body roll" and does not handle too well, however this is expected with SUV's. Due to the wonderful warranty we have taken good use due to issues with electronics, and parts on the engine requiring maintenance/ repair some parts were not accessible and had to be ordered out."

Perfectly sound family SUV

By on Thursday, July 03, 2014

Pros: "Fuel efficient and spacious"

"I've been the only owner, oil changed every 3k miles. Perfect in every way mechanically. Has never broken down. Extremely fuel efficient, it has the 2.0 liter engine."

No real complaints so far

By on Monday, May 05, 2014

Pros: "has everything I need and then some"

Cons: "Could do with softer seats."

"I bought an '08 Sportage several months ago and I'm liking it so far. I went from a tiny economy car to it so the gas mileage took some getting used to, but I expected that coming into it. Interior's plenty roomy but the seats aren't for the weak of butt. And visibility is a little iffy over my left shoulder, but that may just be me. Exterior's nice and clean and smooth, which I prefer over the sharp angular cars coming out now. Handles great, drives great, and has enough power to get it going when it needs to. All in all a good car and worth the money."

Can't wait to replace my 2005 with another Kia

By on Saturday, March 29, 2014

Pros: "Dependable, attractive , smooth ride, sunroof"

Cons: "Low gas mileage"

"I have been so happy with my Kia Sportage 4wd. It has never let me down. I get comments all the time about the car looking like a new one. The smokey brown/beige color does not show dirt and when it is washed Shines. Comfortable ride, handles well and has a lot of pick-up response to be only 6 cylinder. I love my sunroof and that is a must with my next Kia. Little disappointed with city mileage between 15 and 18. On trip's I get around 25 which is good. This is the only fault I found and my next Kia will get better gas mileage."

Great car!

By on Sunday, March 02, 2014

"Lots of interior room, yet easy to park in small spaces. Heated seats are very nice and we added on auto-start after market. Drives well, good turning circle, anti-lock brakes work well. Never any problems and we travel often. Great deal, great warranty, nice family car without having a van."

WHAT A MISTAKE.........

By on Saturday, March 01, 2014

"THE DESIGN OF THIS CAR IS RIDICULOUS.......I BOUGHT THIS CAR USED 14 MONTHS AGO...I BROUGHT IT IN TO MY MECHANIC TO DO A SIMPLE TUNEUP !!! WE FOUND OUT THAT 3 OF THE SPARK PLUGS ARE ON TOP OF THE INTAKE MANIFOLD WHICH IS WHERE ALL 6 SHOULD BE, BUT THE OTHER 3 ARE UNDERNEATH THE INTAKE MANIFOLD. YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT A HUGE JOB IT IS TO REMOVE THE INTAKE MANIFOLD JUST TO INSTALL 3 SPARK PLUGS. THEREFORE, THE DEALER CHARGES $6OO FOR A TUNEUP & MY MECHANIC IS CHARGING $400 !!!!!!WHAT A MISTAKE !!"

Cheap Built-no resale value

By on Wednesday, February 05, 2014

"Tires do not last,access road noise,"

decent value. seats could be better thpugh

By on Saturday, February 01, 2014

Pros: "price good"

Cons: "hard seats"

"runs great. no problems. seats are too hard. after driving constantly seats feel like sitting on concrete. had to buy a pad for seat. only real drawback i have with vehicle. i have the 4 cyl. but power is good."

Best Vehicle I Have Ever Owned

By on Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Pros: "Great price, excell quality, excell reliability"

Cons: "I don't have any"

"I bought this vehicle new and honestly, I have never, ever had a problem with this vehicle. When I do trade for a new one I will feel sad to let this little jewel go. I have had Fords, Chevy's, Dodge, Mercury, Mitsubishi vehicles in my lifetime and none, absolutely none gave me the service this vehicle has. I usually have had to trade the others when they reached 70,000 miles because they started to nickel and dime me to death, not this vehicle. This vehicle has never so much as given me a rattle or squeak in its lifetime. Kia did a remarkable job in building this vehicle and when I trade, you can bet it will be for another Kia. I don't look to buy vehicles based on how expensive they are, because they only get you from point A to point B. So to have the flash and bells and whistles like many of the more high end and expensive vehicles do is just ridiculous. As it is if you want bells and whistles you can add them to your Kia. Kia has an excellent product and the right price for that product in my book. You can have a 40-50 thousand dollar vehicle and when it gets in a collision you just may well lose that. That's a big loss which I choose not to take, not to mention if it is your fault your insurance goes up and on top of that the premium you must pay just to have that expensive vehicle insured. No thank you, I'll stick with my Kia and a much lower insurance rate. Excellent vehicle, excellent price, excellent reliability, excellent quality. As I said, it only gets you from point A to point B to begin with so why does anybody want to pay 40-50 thousand dollars for a vehicle in the first place is beyond me. For a lot of people that live in cities (at least in my area) most of the city houses are valued below 100 thousand dollars, so you are saying their vehicles are on average half the price of their house. And it doesn't even come with a bed, refrigerator, stove or dishwasher. No, I'll stick with the Kia brand. One added note here. This little vehicle has had at least 1200 pounds in it as a load when I put the rear seats down, that is not counting two passengers. Yeah, it isn't a truck and yeah it did weigh the back end down so my headlights pointed up in the air a bit, but you know what? As long as I didn't act like I was on a drag strip it got me, my passenger and the load home without any problems. I would not recommend doing that on a regular basis though as it could be bad for the rear suspension. This just goes to show the excellent workmanship Kia put into this vehicle."

Great Vehicle for the money!

By on Thursday, December 26, 2013

Pros: "Great price,"

Cons: "The back seats aren't very comfortable"

"I've owned my Sportage since 2007 and have put over 146,000 on it. Overall, it has been incredibly reliable with no major issues. There have been some minor issues, like with the sunroof, seat warmers, and windshield wipers, but as much as I drive (over 70 miles daily, sometimes on gravel), I haven't experienced any mechanical issues, knock on wood! The battery is still original to the car, too...it has been "dead" a couple of times, but it has come back after charging it. I test drove a BMWx3 prior to purchasing my Sportage. For the most part, my Sportage has about everything the BMW had for a fraction of the cost."

Great simple, reliable, around town car

By on Monday, December 23, 2013

Pros: "Low cost, reliable, good cargo capacity"

Cons: "Poor gas mileage, low power"

"This is one of the best values in a car you can buy. Nothing fancy here, not loaded with the latest features but is extremely reliable, very low cost of ownership, not high powered but adequate for what it is. Surprisingly comfortable on the highway. Good cargo capacity."

ADVISED OTHERS TO BUY ONE.

By on Saturday, December 21, 2013

Pros: "Easy to drive. Great Price. Many Uses."

Cons: "Location of some controls could be better."

"I love this car. I bought it new in 2006. As soon as a few people saw me driving it, they started asking questions. My mail carrier (rural) bought one after seeing mine and talking about it. I retired in 2005 so have not put as many miles on it as I could have. It is around 40,000. However, it has been reliable and will be useful for me for many more years, I hope. I don't use the 4wd much as I live in an area without much snow. It has been useful a few times though. Lots of room inside for carrying. A little difficult for my Daughter-in-law to get in and out of (she has Cerebral Palsy); but really it is a great vehicle. Easy to control, park, etc. I do wish the buttons for 4WD and ESC were in a different location as I have often accidently pushed them when getting in the car...to my surprise later."

Great little SUV for the price

By on Thursday, December 19, 2013

Pros: "reliable"

Cons: "comfort"

"I have owned this car since new in 2006. My wife drives it on a 100 mile round trip commute 5 days a week. We have never had any major issues with our Sportage. The only thing is the seats are not the most comfortable on long trips. 130K and still going strong. My wife will not let me trade in or Sportage, she says it has another 100K in her. I just purchased a 2014 Kia Soul in November, an I love this kia as well. I am not very fond of KIA dealerships in my area, but like Kia as a brand."

They got it right!

By on Saturday, November 09, 2013

Pros: "great value, fun to drive, great design!"

"I bought this car used in 2009 and have loved it since day 1. With the V6 engine this car is very peppy. I get about 21 mpg which is normal for a V6. This has been a very reliable vehicle with no issues beyond normal wear and tear. There are a number of design features that make this vehicle a stellar value. I drive with headlights on all the time and I can just leave the switch on and the headlights automatically turn off when the car is off. The cigarette lighter is always on so I can charge my phone when the vehicle is not running. The back seat folds flat which allows better use of the storage area. The driver seat is very adjustable for driving comfort. This vehicle handles great on the road and is very fun to drive. It handles rough roads very well with adequate ground clearance."

Love my Sportage!

By on Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Pros: "handles well,good visibility, lots of cargo room"

Cons: "The hitch weight rating is very low for towing"

"One recommendation I would make is to get better tires on it if you do any winter driving. The original tires were no good in the snow. I replaced with Nokian all season radials and they have been great. They provided a smoother ride in the summer and much more efficient handling in the winter. My model does not have all wheel or 4 wheel drive and is now fine in the snow."

great shape good maintenace record

By on Thursday, September 26, 2013

"clean carfax well taken care of no dents wrecks all maintenance done by kia"

Rugged and reliable

By on Thursday, September 19, 2013

Pros: "Car is quick, quiet and pleasant to ride in on tri"

"This car is the 75th new vehicle I have owned. That includes Cadillac, Ford Thunderbird, Chryslers. It is without question the best made vehicle I have owned. No squeaks or rattles, gas mileage is 21 in town and 27 on the highway. Absolutely no repairs outside of a burned out taillight bulb in 9 years."