2002 Kia Sportage

6.3

Based on 303 Ratings for the 1995 - 2002 models.

7.0/10
    6.5/10
    7.0/10
    6.6/10
    6.9/10
    6.8/10

Good Kia x 2

By on Wednesday, November 07, 2007

"I've had 45+ cars over the 25 years I have been driving and I've only had the two that were identical: "Type 1" Kia Sportage 4x4s. These jewels get no respect, but if you keep the oil changed in them they will easily conquer 170,000+ mi. with no major service. The first Sportage 4x4 I had was a 1995, and I sold it with 175,000 mi. on it two years ago. I still see it going down the road. My 2001 Sportage 4x4 now has 167,000 on it and it is still tough. They were both used and I paid less than $5000 each when purchased. Summary: Simply an awesome vehicle for the budget conscience who live with inclement weather. Two of the best cars of of all the ones I've had."

Good Value for The Money

By on Monday, March 03, 2014

Pros: "4X4, reliable engine and drivetrain"

Cons: "Auto hubs, oil filter adapter"

"I bought this car used about ten years ago for $8500. It had been owned new for about two years and had about 30k miles on it. For a true 4X4 with leather seats and low miles, it was a good value. It has never had a major mechanical incident in the 10 years I've owned it. There have been three low-cost repairs needed in all this time. The vacuum system to engage the hubs went out early in its life, so I had it replaced with manual hubs-- cheap and effective. It developed an oil leak around year six or seven. The cause was an oil filter adapter (apparently used to accommodate different countries). So, no big deal, replace and reseal. About $250. The rear axle began seeping grease into the rear drum brakes, resulting in the rear tire(s) locking after releasing the brake pedal. The grease would leak in, and due to friction and heat it would become very gummy/sticky. Then when you applied the brakes the shoes would stick. On slippery Montana roads this was dangerous. $400 repair. Under $1000 in repairs in 10 years of ownership is a good value. A 4X4 where I live is nice. It's small, so it's not the best car for my family of five. It drives a little rough like a jeep, but goes just fine over the Interstate at 70mph. If you're looking at an older one, I would feel confident about the engine and drivetrain. Due to the age of the vehicle it's likely you'll have some repairs, but they probably won't break the bank."

best vehichle ever

By on Thursday, January 22, 2009

"My Sportage was my third Kia I owned and it was the greatest. I have owned Kia's since 1997. I was one of the first buyers when they first were offered in the US and I would not buy any other vehichle they are great on gas, confort and the most dependable vehichle I ever owned."

reliable and good gas mileage

By on Sunday, August 19, 2012

Pros: "great on gas, compact, easy to maneuver"

Cons: "don't make this mdl with small body like '97"

"i purchased my kia used in '03. never broke down on me. still gets 28 mpg. they don't make this size suv any longer. convenient, compact, good gas mileage, comfortable. would purchase another sportage if they had this body shape. like a small suv."

Very good car for the money

By on Thursday, January 19, 2012

Pros: "price, reliability, looks, value for dollar"

Cons: "cup holder position, spare on back"

"Bought new in 2002. previously owned a 2002 Dodge Caravan which we both HATED, bought this Kia because my wife thought it was cute. After 10 years with only normal maintenance I'm beginning to like it too. In 118000 mi. I've only replaced front brakes, timing belt, drive belts, tailpipe(warranty). Easily the most reliable car I've owned in 46 yrs of driving."

I love my Sportage!

By on Saturday, January 31, 2009

"Great little car! The first one I had, a 2000, was totalled; I had a bad accident in snowy weather. I wasn't seriously injured, so kudos to the 5-star safety rating! My 2001 has driven me all over the country, even towing things. GREAT little car...until it hit the 8-year-old point; now it all of a sudden needs stuff replaced."

love my kia

By on Tuesday, March 11, 2008

"I absolutely love my sportage , it handles great and I'm never stuck in snow, ice, and/or mud with it ,It's really easy to put into 4 wh. dr. when I need to. et's easy to drive,too. and living on a Mtn. It's what I need."

i loved this car!!

By on Friday, January 10, 2014

Pros: "vary safe"

Cons: "the cheep interior"

"i had owned this car for just over a year and tonight i got hit by a drunk driver who was going about 40 mph and hit me head on. This car did awesome a jeep liberty is the car that hit me. both cars we totaled but my car had less damage done to it. It keep me and my 2 other passengers safe and we did not go to the hospital. I would recommend this car to anyone who wants a suv that is good on gas and safe."

cute and comfy

By on Monday, July 27, 2009

"I've had my 2002 Sportage for about 3 years now, and it's moved me cross-country twice, as well as provided several road trips. I also used to drive it 2 hours roundtrip every day to school for about a year and a half. Very dependable until you don't keep up with the maintenance. I've done minor repairs, usually pretty cheaply. Timing belt was the only big thing. Also, the exhaust manifold cracks easily, i guess because they used a cheap material that cracks in high temperatures that year but was never recalled. The visors break and the spring in the passenger-side door handle broke. That little console in the middle annoys the heck outta me when it springs forward. Also i still need to fix the spare tire swingarm, as the pullstring won't open it anymore. Other than the little things like that, no problems and it's a very fun ride, especially out on dirt/rocky roads in the mountains!"

Kia Sportage

By on Monday, August 11, 2008

"This vehicle came into our family at the right time and has been a great vehicle. I've heard many people say bad things about their Kia, but I tend to believe they were very rough on their cars anyhow. We've taken this lil SUV everywhere and have racked up 145000miles without any problems."

By on Saturday, July 26, 2008

"we have owned this vehicle for 7 yrs..only regular maintence..no problems,,26mpg on hwy at speed limit..."

Can't Complain

By on Saturday, July 19, 2008

"I've been driving my 2000 Sportage for over 7 years and have put over 143,000 miles on it and I really can't complain. In all that time I think the biggest problem I had was when the timing chain went and that was less than 10k miles ago. I've had minor problems - the passenger window won't open once in a while, the release to open the spare tire arm rusted and broke, but I've always been able to depend on it getting me from point A to B so to me these little things are trivial. Everything else has been normal wear and tear that would happen to most any car with so many miles. It's roomy and comfortable, high enough off the ground to allow for great visibility and some minor off road fun. My biggest gripe about it is the lack of power sometimes making it difficult to pass someone, but if you're out there to get from one place to another and not act like you're in a race all the time there's really nothing wrong with this car."

I Love My Kia!!

By on Saturday, September 24, 2011

Pros: "Great Gas mileage , fun to drive, low up keep, runs great!!"

Cons: "Cloth seats are a pain to clean but worth it!!"

"I have a 2002 Kia Sportage Limited And I Love It.. Great gas mileage and I have only had to replace belt and thats it. I do a oil change every 3000 and tune up once a year because I want to not because it needs it but I take care of my cars. Ny Kia has ran beautifully for me I love it!! I have had it for 6 years and its still running strong !! I would not trade it for the world!! If you take care of any thing it will be good to you 9 times out of 10!"

clean

By on Tuesday, November 03, 2009

"i love this kind of car its been very reliable for me , only thing is .... dont try and put 3 car seats in it . Its a very tight fit . its a good car for a person that is single or just has 1 or 2 children."

very satisifed

By on Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive and reliable"

Cons: "3000 rpm at 70"

"I bought this vehicle dirt cheap thinking Kia was a piece of junk and to my surprise this car is very silent, drives nice, smooth riding and I have had very little problems over last three years. I replaces auto 4-wheel hubs with manuals from ebay-Warner a 10 minute job.110 dollars. This is my use for everything and pull trailer vehicle. Very happy with it and the 4-wheel goes right around my neighbors jeep during deep snow. I only wish it was a little higher geared. 5spd. 21MPG"

excellent vehicle, great purchase

By on Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Pros: "the vehicle is easy to maneuver & fun to drive"

Cons: "spare tire rack seems to rust on most models"

"I bought the vehicle used in 2006. It gets upper 20's on the highway and lower 20's in town. It has been very reliable, no maintenance costs other than routine upkeep."

good small SUV

By on Monday, October 24, 2011

Pros: "very reliable"

Cons: "needs another gear, gas milage not very good"

"I have a 2001 and i when i purchased it had 12000 miles i now have 90000 and there has never been a wrench used on it. I dont like the trans on hwy running at 70MPH the RPMs run around 4000 it needs one more gear. i have an auto trans,other than that i love this vehical."

I'd have to be dragged away kicking and screaming!

By on Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Pros: "Easy to get in"

Cons: "Cup holder blocks a/c"

"I love this car. I am the original owner and keep up with the oil changes, etc. I've never had any issues with this car and if I ever needed another, I'd go for a new Sportage. I can't imagine I'd need a new one any time soon. 4WD for our New England winters. I would design the inside a little differently, but that's about it. It's kind of hard to put it into 4WD, but I'm admittedly weak in my right arm. Other than that I love it! I've had new brakes once and new tires once and I go up and down a mountain daily."

Excellent KIA Sportage

By on Tuesday, September 18, 2007

"The 4WD Sportage automatic shift is perfect for towing a small boat or carrying a canoe or off road travel, a great car for an adventurer. For a small sized SUV it gets good mileage and carries a load of gear comfortably. I've put 90,000 miles on mine with no problem at all except replacing the brakes, and that's because I tow a 19 foot fishing boat up and down the coast. It's square looking, but rather cute, a little square bulldog of a car. It's shorter than most cars, so parking is no trouble. Just change the oil every three or four thousand miles, and drive. It cruises at 80 mph very nicely. It has a Hold button that allows you to hold a gear even when on a hill, and I take it up a steep grade from the beach to the city as fast as most. Women like it because it's small and because you sit a little higher than regular cars and can see what's going on around and ahead of you. Five Stars."

Love this car.

By on Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Pros: "Great mileage handles quckly"

Cons: "Avearage body rust."

"Easy to handle. great mileage. Handles very well. Pyshicyle sound!"

first major repair today

By on Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Pros: "reliable"

Cons: "plastic bits disintegrated"

"i was the original buyer of the car in 2001. at first the check engine light drove everyone nuts for the first year, then that settled down. had to replace the master cylinder that first year as well. i hated hated hated this car. fast forward to 2012 -- there have been no repairs to the car for 10 years, only routine maintenance (sometimes costly) super reliable, never left me on the side of the road, until yesterday, when the clutch and transmission needed to be replaced. $1800 not bad for 120,000 miles. i plan to buy another when this one wears out. or probably a kia soul. all the plastic bits on the interior have disintegrated but i don't think anything could ruin the engine."

Reliable, fun to drive

By on Wednesday, January 02, 2008

"I bought a used 2001 Sportage EX from the local KIA dealer. It was the Sales Supervisor's demo car. It had 4000 miles on it. Six years and 110,000 miles later it is still running strong. I love this little car but, sadly, today is my last day driving it. The family got bigger and it was time to buy a minivan. Thankfully my dad decided to buy it as I would hate to see this little gem fall into abuse or misuse. The positives are its overall size and driving characteristics. It is reasonable on fuel economy for how heavy it is (20 mph mixed driving, 24 mph highway). The interior is surprisingly roomy for how small a vehicle it is. I am 6'4" tall and I fit comfortably in the driver's seat. That isn't something I can say for my wife's 2002 Xterra which I have now inherited. I have had some typical repairs over the last six years. - timing belt - catalytic converter - entire exhaust system (twice due to rust) - gas tank (just this past month) - something with the front hubs - air conditioning belt went and tangled up something with the compressor However, when you consider I was putting close to 20,000 miles a year on it in all kinds of weather I am pretty happy. I think I paid around 12,000 for it originally. Don't let the bad reputation fool you. This car is an excellent value."

Good reliable, affordable car

By on Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Pros: "affordable, great on gas"

Cons: "not 4-wheel drive, no ac (just a shell)"

"I have had this car for 12 years. I have over 210,000 miles on it. It gets about 30MPG. It is very reliable and affordable. However, I have had to replace the coil pack four (4) times since I have had it. This was due to a failed catalytic converter that is in the engine. I have also had to replace the carrier bearing two (2) times. With this being an older vehicle, the price of repair parts are expensive if you do have repairs that need to be made. This is why I do not rate it well on quality. As far as driving dynamics, this is a two wheel, rear wheel drive vehicle. I have to keep sandbags or something heavy in the back year round because it is so light. This is not a good family vehicle and it is not real comfortable on long trips for families. It is great for just driving to work and back. It is a great couple or single individual vehicle."

Most ergonomic with good view. Perfect for me.

By on Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, sturdy, efficient, good looking."

Cons: "old parts not great. relatively low quality built."

"Sportage (1996-2002) has a very ideal size, height, view from inside etc and makes it a very safe car to drive. It is also very pretty. The quality is not the best (designed 20 years ago by Ford and Kia jointly). However, in many ways, it is a milestone of SUV history. With new iridium spark plug, it is powerful and agile. Great car."

This car has been a very reliable ride

By on Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Pros: "It's fun to drive.Like setting up high"

Cons: "Not very good gas mileage.interior 'cheap' quality"

"I bought this car in 2002, 15,000 miles. It has had its problems but everything was covered under warranty. I also had an extended warranty up to 100k. I drove this car daily to work 50 mile round trip. This car is now used for a backup vehicle for family members as I have a new car for work. My Sportage is 4 wheel drive and it was awesome in the snow. In the day, I would pull sleds in my pasture; snow halfway up the tire. The things that I did not like are the "cheap" interior. A person can not just take a damp cloth and clean up messes from the fabric. I am proud to say that my Sportage has never left me stranded. I did keep the maintenance up to date and I believe that is the Key.I believe I got my moneys worth from this car and I liked it better as than my four year old Mercury that I traded for the Sportage."