• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2001 Kia Sportage

6.3

Based on 301 Ratings for the 1995 - 2002 models.

6.9/10
    6.5/10
    7.0/10
    6.5/10
    6.9/10
    6.8/10

I like this vehicle more than any I have owned.

By on Friday, June 20, 2014

Pros: "Fun,Fun,Fun!!!"

Cons: "Gas milage."

"My Sportage is the third Kia I have owned. The first being a 1988(Ford) Festiva,the second a 1998 Sephia. All three had/have excellant engines and transmissions. The overall guality of the Sportage is better than the prior two vehicles. The gas mileage of the Sportage is disapointing but something I can live with. I find the emissions system a bit touchy but something I can deal with without automatically replacing suspected components. All three are/were reliable cars it has been my pleasure to own. It has been fun watching Hyunday/Kia rise to the top of auto manufacturing.I look forward to owning my fourth Kia. Steve"

Good Vehicle for low price!

By on Saturday, May 24, 2014

"Cost- $1850 Owened for about 1 Year Mileage 135K 2.0 Manual 5 Speed 2 Wheel Drive Repairs so far: Timing Belt, Spark Plugs and CV Joints PROS: Very comfortable and reliable vehicle. Very peppy and it is sporty looking. It can easily haul a Canoe, Kyaks, or Bicycles. CONS: Not great in snow unless you add 2 salt bags to cargo area. Spark Plugs are a hassle to change and new wires are expensive. Always use Ebay for more reasonable part costs. Also gas mileage is about 20-25 MPG. Neeeds a new timing belt about every 60k+ miles as stated by many owners, this is common among many vehicles today."

Problem car

By on Saturday, May 10, 2014

Reason: everything

Pros: "No pros"

Cons: "Everything"

"I called this a problem car! I bought it because it is 4x4. But this car was nothing but trouble...from day one. I regret buying it. I put it on Craigslist and not a single soul was interested, even for $400, with 132,000 miles. I put an old Subaru with 265,000 miles for the same price and I got more interested souls. No more Kia."

The Best

By on Saturday, March 29, 2014

Pros: "I already have recommended it to several friends."

Cons: "Great Price/Fun to drive/Reliable."

"I have driven this SUV from Texas to Providence, Maine, and back again. I have traveled many of the back roads of Texas and criss-crossed this state more times than I can count. I trust it completely. I would not part with it at all if not for the mileage. I plan on traveling a lot in my future and need something a little less miles on it. I trust her right now. I would not hesitate to keep her but my husband insists."

Unreliable Car

By on Saturday, March 08, 2014

Pros: "Got it for only $2,400"

Cons: "Broke down a lot"

"I've gone through so much time and money trying to save this dinky little car after it had broken down multiple times. But this last time it broke down I couldn't afford to pay $1,000+ to fix it. Ever since I got it this car has had it's many issues. I plan to stay away from buying Kia vehicles from now on."

Good Value for The Money

By on Monday, March 03, 2014

Pros: "4X4, reliable engine and drivetrain"

Cons: "Auto hubs, oil filter adapter"

"I bought this car used about ten years ago for $8500. It had been owned new for about two years and had about 30k miles on it. For a true 4X4 with leather seats and low miles, it was a good value. It has never had a major mechanical incident in the 10 years I've owned it. There have been three low-cost repairs needed in all this time. The vacuum system to engage the hubs went out early in its life, so I had it replaced with manual hubs-- cheap and effective. It developed an oil leak around year six or seven. The cause was an oil filter adapter (apparently used to accommodate different countries). So, no big deal, replace and reseal. About $250. The rear axle began seeping grease into the rear drum brakes, resulting in the rear tire(s) locking after releasing the brake pedal. The grease would leak in, and due to friction and heat it would become very gummy/sticky. Then when you applied the brakes the shoes would stick. On slippery Montana roads this was dangerous. $400 repair. Under $1000 in repairs in 10 years of ownership is a good value. A 4X4 where I live is nice. It's small, so it's not the best car for my family of five. It drives a little rough like a jeep, but goes just fine over the Interstate at 70mph. If you're looking at an older one, I would feel confident about the engine and drivetrain. Due to the age of the vehicle it's likely you'll have some repairs, but they probably won't break the bank."

Good Value for The Money

By on Monday, March 03, 2014

Pros: "4X4, reliable engine and drivetrain"

Cons: "Auto hubs, oil filter adapter"

worst car ever

By on Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Pros: "good reliability on motor and transmission"

Cons: "bad gas mileage bad window motors ,cup holder"

"bought for gas mileage 4 cylinder motor only get about 16/23 have done everything to get it better no go nothing else. 4x4 is a joke be sure to carry shovel or a winch with you . interior have replaced all window motors they are weak , cup holder in place in front of dash vents and above radio stupid engineering bought this with only 21,000 miles now has 137,000 cant afford to replace motor and transmission best about it good reliability to them except for gas mileage overrated ."

i loved this car!!

By on Friday, January 10, 2014

Pros: "vary safe"

Cons: "the cheep interior"

"i had owned this car for just over a year and tonight i got hit by a drunk driver who was going about 40 mph and hit me head on. This car did awesome a jeep liberty is the car that hit me. both cars we totaled but my car had less damage done to it. It keep me and my 2 other passengers safe and we did not go to the hospital. I would recommend this car to anyone who wants a suv that is good on gas and safe."

one of the best vehicle

By on Saturday, January 04, 2014

Pros: "great for mileage and gas"

Cons: "not enough room on inside that it just need space"

"I like this car I found it to be good one gas not a lot of work taking care of it I bought it in 2007 I have only to do regular mantaince work and a starter in the pass 7 yrs runs like a charm. Would love to tade in for a new one,can not afford it now will keep it."

See if you qualify for