2001 Kia Sportage

6.3

Based on 303 Ratings for the 1995 - 2002 models.

7.0/10
    6.5/10
    7.0/10
    6.6/10
    6.9/10
    6.8/10

Good Kia x 2

By on Wednesday, November 07, 2007

"I've had 45+ cars over the 25 years I have been driving and I've only had the two that were identical: "Type 1" Kia Sportage 4x4s. These jewels get no respect, but if you keep the oil changed in them they will easily conquer 170,000+ mi. with no major service. The first Sportage 4x4 I had was a 1995, and I sold it with 175,000 mi. on it two years ago. I still see it going down the road. My 2001 Sportage 4x4 now has 167,000 on it and it is still tough. They were both used and I paid less than $5000 each when purchased. Summary: Simply an awesome vehicle for the budget conscience who live with inclement weather. Two of the best cars of of all the ones I've had."

Good Value for The Money

By on Monday, March 03, 2014

Pros: "4X4, reliable engine and drivetrain"

Cons: "Auto hubs, oil filter adapter"

"I bought this car used about ten years ago for $8500. It had been owned new for about two years and had about 30k miles on it. For a true 4X4 with leather seats and low miles, it was a good value. It has never had a major mechanical incident in the 10 years I've owned it. There have been three low-cost repairs needed in all this time. The vacuum system to engage the hubs went out early in its life, so I had it replaced with manual hubs-- cheap and effective. It developed an oil leak around year six or seven. The cause was an oil filter adapter (apparently used to accommodate different countries). So, no big deal, replace and reseal. About $250. The rear axle began seeping grease into the rear drum brakes, resulting in the rear tire(s) locking after releasing the brake pedal. The grease would leak in, and due to friction and heat it would become very gummy/sticky. Then when you applied the brakes the shoes would stick. On slippery Montana roads this was dangerous. $400 repair. Under $1000 in repairs in 10 years of ownership is a good value. A 4X4 where I live is nice. It's small, so it's not the best car for my family of five. It drives a little rough like a jeep, but goes just fine over the Interstate at 70mph. If you're looking at an older one, I would feel confident about the engine and drivetrain. Due to the age of the vehicle it's likely you'll have some repairs, but they probably won't break the bank."

best vehichle ever

By on Thursday, January 22, 2009

"My Sportage was my third Kia I owned and it was the greatest. I have owned Kia's since 1997. I was one of the first buyers when they first were offered in the US and I would not buy any other vehichle they are great on gas, confort and the most dependable vehichle I ever owned."

reliable and good gas mileage

By on Sunday, August 19, 2012

Pros: "great on gas, compact, easy to maneuver"

Cons: "don't make this mdl with small body like '97"

"i purchased my kia used in '03. never broke down on me. still gets 28 mpg. they don't make this size suv any longer. convenient, compact, good gas mileage, comfortable. would purchase another sportage if they had this body shape. like a small suv."

Very good car for the money

By on Thursday, January 19, 2012

Pros: "price, reliability, looks, value for dollar"

Cons: "cup holder position, spare on back"

"Bought new in 2002. previously owned a 2002 Dodge Caravan which we both HATED, bought this Kia because my wife thought it was cute. After 10 years with only normal maintenance I'm beginning to like it too. In 118000 mi. I've only replaced front brakes, timing belt, drive belts, tailpipe(warranty). Easily the most reliable car I've owned in 46 yrs of driving."

I love my Sportage!

By on Saturday, January 31, 2009

"Great little car! The first one I had, a 2000, was totalled; I had a bad accident in snowy weather. I wasn't seriously injured, so kudos to the 5-star safety rating! My 2001 has driven me all over the country, even towing things. GREAT little car...until it hit the 8-year-old point; now it all of a sudden needs stuff replaced."

love my kia

By on Tuesday, March 11, 2008

"I absolutely love my sportage , it handles great and I'm never stuck in snow, ice, and/or mud with it ,It's really easy to put into 4 wh. dr. when I need to. et's easy to drive,too. and living on a Mtn. It's what I need."

i loved this car!!

By on Friday, January 10, 2014

Pros: "vary safe"

Cons: "the cheep interior"

"i had owned this car for just over a year and tonight i got hit by a drunk driver who was going about 40 mph and hit me head on. This car did awesome a jeep liberty is the car that hit me. both cars we totaled but my car had less damage done to it. It keep me and my 2 other passengers safe and we did not go to the hospital. I would recommend this car to anyone who wants a suv that is good on gas and safe."

cute and comfy

By on Monday, July 27, 2009

"I've had my 2002 Sportage for about 3 years now, and it's moved me cross-country twice, as well as provided several road trips. I also used to drive it 2 hours roundtrip every day to school for about a year and a half. Very dependable until you don't keep up with the maintenance. I've done minor repairs, usually pretty cheaply. Timing belt was the only big thing. Also, the exhaust manifold cracks easily, i guess because they used a cheap material that cracks in high temperatures that year but was never recalled. The visors break and the spring in the passenger-side door handle broke. That little console in the middle annoys the heck outta me when it springs forward. Also i still need to fix the spare tire swingarm, as the pullstring won't open it anymore. Other than the little things like that, no problems and it's a very fun ride, especially out on dirt/rocky roads in the mountains!"

Kia Sportage

By on Monday, August 11, 2008

"This vehicle came into our family at the right time and has been a great vehicle. I've heard many people say bad things about their Kia, but I tend to believe they were very rough on their cars anyhow. We've taken this lil SUV everywhere and have racked up 145000miles without any problems."