2000 Kia Sportage

6.3

Based on 304 Ratings for the 1995 - 2002 models.

7.0/10
    6.5/10
    7.1/10
    6.6/10
    6.9/10
    6.8/10

Excellent KIA Sportage

By on Tuesday, September 18, 2007

"The 4WD Sportage automatic shift is perfect for towing a small boat or carrying a canoe or off road travel, a great car for an adventurer. For a small sized SUV it gets good mileage and carries a load of gear comfortably. I've put 90,000 miles on mine with no problem at all except replacing the brakes, and that's because I tow a 19 foot fishing boat up and down the coast. It's square looking, but rather cute, a little square bulldog of a car. It's shorter than most cars, so parking is no trouble. Just change the oil every three or four thousand miles, and drive. It cruises at 80 mph very nicely. It has a Hold button that allows you to hold a gear even when on a hill, and I take it up a steep grade from the beach to the city as fast as most. Women like it because it's small and because you sit a little higher than regular cars and can see what's going on around and ahead of you. Five Stars."

Love this car.

By on Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Pros: "Great mileage handles quckly"

Cons: "Avearage body rust."

"Easy to handle. great mileage. Handles very well. Pyshicyle sound!"

first major repair today

By on Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Pros: "reliable"

Cons: "plastic bits disintegrated"

"i was the original buyer of the car in 2001. at first the check engine light drove everyone nuts for the first year, then that settled down. had to replace the master cylinder that first year as well. i hated hated hated this car. fast forward to 2012 -- there have been no repairs to the car for 10 years, only routine maintenance (sometimes costly) super reliable, never left me on the side of the road, until yesterday, when the clutch and transmission needed to be replaced. $1800 not bad for 120,000 miles. i plan to buy another when this one wears out. or probably a kia soul. all the plastic bits on the interior have disintegrated but i don't think anything could ruin the engine."

Reliable, fun to drive

By on Wednesday, January 02, 2008

"I bought a used 2001 Sportage EX from the local KIA dealer. It was the Sales Supervisor's demo car. It had 4000 miles on it. Six years and 110,000 miles later it is still running strong. I love this little car but, sadly, today is my last day driving it. The family got bigger and it was time to buy a minivan. Thankfully my dad decided to buy it as I would hate to see this little gem fall into abuse or misuse. The positives are its overall size and driving characteristics. It is reasonable on fuel economy for how heavy it is (20 mph mixed driving, 24 mph highway). The interior is surprisingly roomy for how small a vehicle it is. I am 6'4" tall and I fit comfortably in the driver's seat. That isn't something I can say for my wife's 2002 Xterra which I have now inherited. I have had some typical repairs over the last six years. - timing belt - catalytic converter - entire exhaust system (twice due to rust) - gas tank (just this past month) - something with the front hubs - air conditioning belt went and tangled up something with the compressor However, when you consider I was putting close to 20,000 miles a year on it in all kinds of weather I am pretty happy. I think I paid around 12,000 for it originally. Don't let the bad reputation fool you. This car is an excellent value."

Good reliable, affordable car

By on Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Pros: "affordable, great on gas"

Cons: "not 4-wheel drive, no ac (just a shell)"

"I have had this car for 12 years. I have over 210,000 miles on it. It gets about 30MPG. It is very reliable and affordable. However, I have had to replace the coil pack four (4) times since I have had it. This was due to a failed catalytic converter that is in the engine. I have also had to replace the carrier bearing two (2) times. With this being an older vehicle, the price of repair parts are expensive if you do have repairs that need to be made. This is why I do not rate it well on quality. As far as driving dynamics, this is a two wheel, rear wheel drive vehicle. I have to keep sandbags or something heavy in the back year round because it is so light. This is not a good family vehicle and it is not real comfortable on long trips for families. It is great for just driving to work and back. It is a great couple or single individual vehicle."