• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

1998 Kia Sportage

6.3

Based on 304 Ratings for the 1995 - 2002 models.

7.0/10
    6.5/10
    7.0/10
    6.5/10
    6.9/10
    6.8/10

great

By on Friday, September 12, 2014

"this car has been excellent in the 3 years i have had it and the 4 wd is great in snow only thing i would have hoped for is the gas mileage could have been a litle better but i have seen worse"

great value and reliable

By on Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Pros: "good price and fun to drive"

Cons: "did not do well with one type of gas."

"bought new in 1999 and with regular maintenance and upkeep a very reliable vehicle. great on open road. Excellent mileage."

Headache car

By on Monday, August 18, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, easy to park"

Cons: "everything, cup holders in front of a/c"

"I've had this car for 5 years after a family friend gave it to me because I didn't have a car to get to school. The first year or so was fine but after that everything stopped working. The radio stopped working, I think the antenna broke/rusted. All of the windows came off their motors so they're all being held up by door stoppers-the passenger window won't go all the way up so I always get wet when it rains. The catalytic converter doesn't work and needs replacing. The cup holder is right in front of the ac/heater so you can't feel the air when there's cups in the holder-which is terrible design in my opinion. There is also only 6 inches of leg room for the back seats which is also terrible design. The ac/heat don't work anymore. There were some cables in the engine that weren't connected right so a year after I got the car, it would turn off when I was driving in the middle of traffic! This car has just been a complete headache for the 5 years I have owned it. I would never buy this car ever again. The only pro is that it is a small car (length/width-wise) so it is easy to park in small parking spaces and to 3-point park."

I like this vehicle more than any I have owned.

By on Friday, June 20, 2014

Pros: "Fun,Fun,Fun!!!"

Cons: "Gas milage."

"My Sportage is the third Kia I have owned. The first being a 1988(Ford) Festiva,the second a 1998 Sephia. All three had/have excellant engines and transmissions. The overall guality of the Sportage is better than the prior two vehicles. The gas mileage of the Sportage is disapointing but something I can live with. I find the emissions system a bit touchy but something I can deal with without automatically replacing suspected components. All three are/were reliable cars it has been my pleasure to own. It has been fun watching Hyunday/Kia rise to the top of auto manufacturing.I look forward to owning my fourth Kia. Steve"

Good Vehicle for low price!

By on Saturday, May 24, 2014

"Cost- $1850 Owened for about 1 Year Mileage 135K 2.0 Manual 5 Speed 2 Wheel Drive Repairs so far: Timing Belt, Spark Plugs and CV Joints PROS: Very comfortable and reliable vehicle. Very peppy and it is sporty looking. It can easily haul a Canoe, Kyaks, or Bicycles. CONS: Not great in snow unless you add 2 salt bags to cargo area. Spark Plugs are a hassle to change and new wires are expensive. Always use Ebay for more reasonable part costs. Also gas mileage is about 20-25 MPG. Neeeds a new timing belt about every 60k+ miles as stated by many owners, this is common among many vehicles today."

Problem car

By on Saturday, May 10, 2014

Reason: everything

Pros: "No pros"

Cons: "Everything"

"I called this a problem car! I bought it because it is 4x4. But this car was nothing but trouble...from day one. I regret buying it. I put it on Craigslist and not a single soul was interested, even for $400, with 132,000 miles. I put an old Subaru with 265,000 miles for the same price and I got more interested souls. No more Kia."

The Best

By on Saturday, March 29, 2014

Pros: "I already have recommended it to several friends."

Cons: "Great Price/Fun to drive/Reliable."

"I have driven this SUV from Texas to Providence, Maine, and back again. I have traveled many of the back roads of Texas and criss-crossed this state more times than I can count. I trust it completely. I would not part with it at all if not for the mileage. I plan on traveling a lot in my future and need something a little less miles on it. I trust her right now. I would not hesitate to keep her but my husband insists."

Unreliable Car

By on Saturday, March 08, 2014

Pros: "Got it for only $2,400"

Cons: "Broke down a lot"

"I've gone through so much time and money trying to save this dinky little car after it had broken down multiple times. But this last time it broke down I couldn't afford to pay $1,000+ to fix it. Ever since I got it this car has had it's many issues. I plan to stay away from buying Kia vehicles from now on."

Good Value for The Money

By on Monday, March 03, 2014

Pros: "4X4, reliable engine and drivetrain"

Cons: "Auto hubs, oil filter adapter"

"I bought this car used about ten years ago for $8500. It had been owned new for about two years and had about 30k miles on it. For a true 4X4 with leather seats and low miles, it was a good value. It has never had a major mechanical incident in the 10 years I've owned it. There have been three low-cost repairs needed in all this time. The vacuum system to engage the hubs went out early in its life, so I had it replaced with manual hubs-- cheap and effective. It developed an oil leak around year six or seven. The cause was an oil filter adapter (apparently used to accommodate different countries). So, no big deal, replace and reseal. About $250. The rear axle began seeping grease into the rear drum brakes, resulting in the rear tire(s) locking after releasing the brake pedal. The grease would leak in, and due to friction and heat it would become very gummy/sticky. Then when you applied the brakes the shoes would stick. On slippery Montana roads this was dangerous. $400 repair. Under $1000 in repairs in 10 years of ownership is a good value. A 4X4 where I live is nice. It's small, so it's not the best car for my family of five. It drives a little rough like a jeep, but goes just fine over the Interstate at 70mph. If you're looking at an older one, I would feel confident about the engine and drivetrain. Due to the age of the vehicle it's likely you'll have some repairs, but they probably won't break the bank."

Good Value for The Money

By on Monday, March 03, 2014

Pros: "4X4, reliable engine and drivetrain"

Cons: "Auto hubs, oil filter adapter"

worst car ever

By on Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Pros: "good reliability on motor and transmission"

Cons: "bad gas mileage bad window motors ,cup holder"

"bought for gas mileage 4 cylinder motor only get about 16/23 have done everything to get it better no go nothing else. 4x4 is a joke be sure to carry shovel or a winch with you . interior have replaced all window motors they are weak , cup holder in place in front of dash vents and above radio stupid engineering bought this with only 21,000 miles now has 137,000 cant afford to replace motor and transmission best about it good reliability to them except for gas mileage overrated ."

i loved this car!!

By on Friday, January 10, 2014

Pros: "vary safe"

Cons: "the cheep interior"

"i had owned this car for just over a year and tonight i got hit by a drunk driver who was going about 40 mph and hit me head on. This car did awesome a jeep liberty is the car that hit me. both cars we totaled but my car had less damage done to it. It keep me and my 2 other passengers safe and we did not go to the hospital. I would recommend this car to anyone who wants a suv that is good on gas and safe."

one of the best vehicle

By on Saturday, January 04, 2014

Pros: "great for mileage and gas"

Cons: "not enough room on inside that it just need space"

"I like this car I found it to be good one gas not a lot of work taking care of it I bought it in 2007 I have only to do regular mantaince work and a starter in the pass 7 yrs runs like a charm. Would love to tade in for a new one,can not afford it now will keep it."

Great little vehicle with few compromises

By on Thursday, December 26, 2013

Pros: "Great MPG, ergonomics, and looks"

Cons: "Always moving the spare mount"

"I absolutely love this SUV. It looks good, drives well, 4X4 is awesome, gas mileage is great. No compromises here. I drove Trackers for years, but cannot find any without rust now so I moved to the Sportage. The only downsides that I see are.....having to move the spare every time I let the dog in and out of the rear hatch, GRRRRRRRR and $200.00 to replace four spark plugs. Who would imagine two hours of labor just to get to the spark plugs."

Good reliable, affordable car

By on Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Pros: "affordable, great on gas"

Cons: "not 4-wheel drive, no ac (just a shell)"

"I have had this car for 12 years. I have over 210,000 miles on it. It gets about 30MPG. It is very reliable and affordable. However, I have had to replace the coil pack four (4) times since I have had it. This was due to a failed catalytic converter that is in the engine. I have also had to replace the carrier bearing two (2) times. With this being an older vehicle, the price of repair parts are expensive if you do have repairs that need to be made. This is why I do not rate it well on quality. As far as driving dynamics, this is a two wheel, rear wheel drive vehicle. I have to keep sandbags or something heavy in the back year round because it is so light. This is not a good family vehicle and it is not real comfortable on long trips for families. It is great for just driving to work and back. It is a great couple or single individual vehicle."

Most ergonomic with good view. Perfect for me.

By on Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, sturdy, efficient, good looking."

Cons: "old parts not great. relatively low quality built."

"Sportage (1996-2002) has a very ideal size, height, view from inside etc and makes it a very safe car to drive. It is also very pretty. The quality is not the best (designed 20 years ago by Ford and Kia jointly). However, in many ways, it is a milestone of SUV history. With new iridium spark plug, it is powerful and agile. Great car."

Still runiing reliably at 140,000 miles.

By on Friday, October 25, 2013

"This is my second Sportage. Sold the first at 120,000 thousand to buy an automatic. This one is now a lovely old lady at 140,000++. Except for one sensor replacement all service has been routine maintance. My Kia experience has been great all the way."

Love this car.

By on Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Pros: "Great mileage handles quckly"

Cons: "Avearage body rust."

"Easy to handle. great mileage. Handles very well. Pyshicyle sound!"

Worth EVERY ppenny of the purchase price (new).

By on Monday, October 14, 2013

Pros: "GREAT car for the purchase price (new)"

Cons: "Interior now well engineered"

"Purchased new at model year end. Have spent less than $2000 in repairs (other than regular servicing and tires."

Great vehicle for any trip or use.

By on Monday, September 23, 2013

Pros: "Mileage is high per Gallon. Turning radius, small!"

"Great mileage for trips,250 miles per 1/2 tank(15 Gal Compacity)! Comfortable suspention.Seats are very cozy.seats 4to5 easily."

Reliable driving conditions.Seats 5 comfortably !

By on Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Pros: "Great handling,no blind spots.for lane change"

Cons: "No Air conditioner."

"Comfortable handling Pick up on starting ,nice power,> Turnpike Under proper conditions, handling and good braking response. Some surface rust. Will post photo upon request!"

This car has been a very reliable ride

By on Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Pros: "It's fun to drive.Like setting up high"

Cons: "Not very good gas mileage.interior 'cheap' quality"

"I bought this car in 2002, 15,000 miles. It has had its problems but everything was covered under warranty. I also had an extended warranty up to 100k. I drove this car daily to work 50 mile round trip. This car is now used for a backup vehicle for family members as I have a new car for work. My Sportage is 4 wheel drive and it was awesome in the snow. In the day, I would pull sleds in my pasture; snow halfway up the tire. The things that I did not like are the "cheap" interior. A person can not just take a damp cloth and clean up messes from the fabric. I am proud to say that my Sportage has never left me stranded. I did keep the maintenance up to date and I believe that is the Key.I believe I got my moneys worth from this car and I liked it better as than my four year old Mercury that I traded for the Sportage."

2002 Kia Sportage 4x4 Limited

By on Saturday, August 31, 2013

Pros: "4x4,Mazda engine,Awesome in N.E. snow"

Cons: "Frame rot,electrical problems"

"Bought this kia dec. 2012 for $1500,wanted 4x4,standard trans.this kia had all the bells and whistles,warn lock-out hubs,a/c,cruise,etc.I looked it at in the dark,did not know the Kia's have bad frame rot....meaning the whole rear end can fall,so future owners and current owners beware!also the rear is leaking,not from seals,but the fact that is rusting through!I'm tradeing it in,going to salvage yard,motor and trans. still good,made by Mazda.Kia does not have any recalls on this vehicle for rust!"

Dependable pickup on acceration, with power.

By on Saturday, August 31, 2013

Pros: "Price is good. Fun to have around town or highway."

Cons: "Floor ia a bit worn. Some surface rust bubbles."

"SHORT TURNING RADIUS. GREAT PICKUP ON ACCELERATION MOVING OR FROM A STILL POSTION. GOOD MILEAGE, CAN GO TO 225 MILES ON A HALF TANK! CONFORTABLE ADJUSTMENT FOR SEATING. MINIMUUM OR NO BLIND SPOTS. HAVE ALL REPAIR INVOICES OR BILLS. ENGINE IS COMFRABLE W/MILEAGE."

best car ever so far!

By on Friday, August 30, 2013

Pros: "fuel efficient (24-27mpg); reliable; zippy"

Cons: "windows fog up easily in rain/snow"

"I rely on this car because it must safely deliver me 100 miles roundtrip twice weekly; and has done so for 7 years. I require 4WD capability, as I have been confronted with extreme road conditions due to weather. This car has safely traversed snow packed and icy interstate roads in blizzard conditions. I use it to carry my recycling, groceries, & even tree limbs stacked to the roof and on top. The extra wide tires change the car's profile such that it looks like a sharp matchbox car!"