1995 Kia Sportage

6.3

Based on 307 Ratings for the 1995 - 2002 models.

7.0/10
    6.5/10
    7.0/10
    6.6/10
    6.9/10
    6.8/10

I'd have to be dragged away kicking and screaming!

By on Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Pros: "Easy to get in"

Cons: "Cup holder blocks a/c"

"I love this car. I am the original owner and keep up with the oil changes, etc. I've never had any issues with this car and if I ever needed another, I'd go for a new Sportage. I can't imagine I'd need a new one any time soon. 4WD for our New England winters. I would design the inside a little differently, but that's about it. It's kind of hard to put it into 4WD, but I'm admittedly weak in my right arm. Other than that I love it! I've had new brakes once and new tires once and I go up and down a mountain daily."

excellent vehicle, great purchase

By on Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Pros: "the vehicle is easy to maneuver & fun to drive"

Cons: "spare tire rack seems to rust on most models"

"I bought the vehicle used in 2006. It gets upper 20's on the highway and lower 20's in town. It has been very reliable, no maintenance costs other than routine upkeep."

clean

By on Tuesday, November 3, 2009

"i love this kind of car its been very reliable for me , only thing is .... dont try and put 3 car seats in it . Its a very tight fit . its a good car for a person that is single or just has 1 or 2 children."

Excellent KIA Sportage

By on Tuesday, September 18, 2007

"The 4WD Sportage automatic shift is perfect for towing a small boat or carrying a canoe or off road travel, a great car for an adventurer. For a small sized SUV it gets good mileage and carries a load of gear comfortably. I've put 90,000 miles on mine with no problem at all except replacing the brakes, and that's because I tow a 19 foot fishing boat up and down the coast. It's square looking, but rather cute, a little square bulldog of a car. It's shorter than most cars, so parking is no trouble. Just change the oil every three or four thousand miles, and drive. It cruises at 80 mph very nicely. It has a Hold button that allows you to hold a gear even when on a hill, and I take it up a steep grade from the beach to the city as fast as most. Women like it because it's small and because you sit a little higher than regular cars and can see what's going on around and ahead of you. Five Stars."

first major repair today

By on Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Pros: "reliable"

Cons: "plastic bits disintegrated"

"i was the original buyer of the car in 2001. at first the check engine light drove everyone nuts for the first year, then that settled down. had to replace the master cylinder that first year as well. i hated hated hated this car. fast forward to 2012 -- there have been no repairs to the car for 10 years, only routine maintenance (sometimes costly) super reliable, never left me on the side of the road, until yesterday, when the clutch and transmission needed to be replaced. $1800 not bad for 120,000 miles. i plan to buy another when this one wears out. or probably a kia soul. all the plastic bits on the interior have disintegrated but i don't think anything could ruin the engine."

It has far outlasted any car that I have owned.

By on Monday, July 2, 2012

Pros: "Reliable transportation."

Cons: "Some features don't last as long as the car itself"

"Bought it for my birthday in 2002. It is the best automotive purchase that I have made in 40 years."

good small SUV

By on Monday, October 24, 2011

Pros: "very reliable"

Cons: "needs another gear, gas milage not very good"

"I have a 2001 and i when i purchased it had 12000 miles i now have 90000 and there has never been a wrench used on it. I dont like the trans on hwy running at 70MPH the RPMs run around 4000 it needs one more gear. i have an auto trans,other than that i love this vehical."

good little vehicle

By on Tuesday, January 20, 2009

"has over 125,000 miles on it and still runs like the day I bought it. I change the oil and air filters when needed and other than that I don't have to do anything. My 4 wheel drive did go out on it, but I was pretty rough on it. Very reliable, would definantly reccommend to anyone looking for a small SUV."

Reliable, fun to drive

By on Wednesday, January 2, 2008

"I bought a used 2001 Sportage EX from the local KIA dealer. It was the Sales Supervisor's demo car. It had 4000 miles on it. Six years and 110,000 miles later it is still running strong. I love this little car but, sadly, today is my last day driving it. The family got bigger and it was time to buy a minivan. Thankfully my dad decided to buy it as I would hate to see this little gem fall into abuse or misuse. The positives are its overall size and driving characteristics. It is reasonable on fuel economy for how heavy it is (20 mph mixed driving, 24 mph highway). The interior is surprisingly roomy for how small a vehicle it is. I am 6'4" tall and I fit comfortably in the driver's seat. That isn't something I can say for my wife's 2002 Xterra which I have now inherited. I have had some typical repairs over the last six years. - timing belt - catalytic converter - entire exhaust system (twice due to rust) - gas tank (just this past month) - something with the front hubs - air conditioning belt went and tangled up something with the compressor However, when you consider I was putting close to 20,000 miles a year on it in all kinds of weather I am pretty happy. I think I paid around 12,000 for it originally. Don't let the bad reputation fool you. This car is an excellent value."

Love this car.

By on Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Pros: "Great mileage handles quckly"

Cons: "Avearage body rust."

"Easy to handle. great mileage. Handles very well. Pyshicyle sound!"

Good reliable, affordable car

By on Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Pros: "affordable, great on gas"

Cons: "not 4-wheel drive, no ac (just a shell)"

"I have had this car for 12 years. I have over 210,000 miles on it. It gets about 30MPG. It is very reliable and affordable. However, I have had to replace the coil pack four (4) times since I have had it. This was due to a failed catalytic converter that is in the engine. I have also had to replace the carrier bearing two (2) times. With this being an older vehicle, the price of repair parts are expensive if you do have repairs that need to be made. This is why I do not rate it well on quality. As far as driving dynamics, this is a two wheel, rear wheel drive vehicle. I have to keep sandbags or something heavy in the back year round because it is so light. This is not a good family vehicle and it is not real comfortable on long trips for families. It is great for just driving to work and back. It is a great couple or single individual vehicle."

Most ergonomic with good view. Perfect for me.

By on Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, sturdy, efficient, good looking."

Cons: "old parts not great. relatively low quality built."

"Sportage (1996-2002) has a very ideal size, height, view from inside etc and makes it a very safe car to drive. It is also very pretty. The quality is not the best (designed 20 years ago by Ford and Kia jointly). However, in many ways, it is a milestone of SUV history. With new iridium spark plug, it is powerful and agile. Great car."

This car has been a very reliable ride

By on Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Pros: "It's fun to drive.Like setting up high"

Cons: "Not very good gas mileage.interior 'cheap' quality"

"I bought this car in 2002, 15,000 miles. It has had its problems but everything was covered under warranty. I also had an extended warranty up to 100k. I drove this car daily to work 50 mile round trip. This car is now used for a backup vehicle for family members as I have a new car for work. My Sportage is 4 wheel drive and it was awesome in the snow. In the day, I would pull sleds in my pasture; snow halfway up the tire. The things that I did not like are the "cheap" interior. A person can not just take a damp cloth and clean up messes from the fabric. I am proud to say that my Sportage has never left me stranded. I did keep the maintenance up to date and I believe that is the Key.I believe I got my moneys worth from this car and I liked it better as than my four year old Mercury that I traded for the Sportage."

Best small suv I haved owned

By on Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Pros: "Got it free, very fun to drive"

Cons: "Yes I like the cup holders above the radio"

"I got this KIA used from my daughter and she got it from the first oner. She was driving it 120 miles 5 times a week It wasnt big enough to hall hay and other supplys so she gave it to me. I has over 140000 miles and does not use any oil. easy to get in and of for my wife who has had hip replacement. Just love it I might get me a new one soon. Thanks KIA"

Problems

By on Friday, December 4, 2009

"We got our car in 2005. I have been fixing things on this car ever since. Brakes, Radiator, Engine, Transmission, recently had a new starter put on and NOW I believe it need a new timing belt and a wheel alignment. There have been problems in between all of these. This car has cost me some money and I believe it was not worth the investment. Yes it gets me from point A to B, but the problems seem never ending."

I found my car...

By on Monday, March 30, 2009

"...at a little dealership. I took it to a mechanic ad got a carfax b4 purchasing it for 4100 dollars. I had to get a few things fixed, like a fuel leak and the timing belt, which totaled about $500 and now the car runs perfectly. I like the low mileage mine has, and it looks and drives nice. It can get a little bumpy on the highway, but I know that higher up vehicles tend to be. It's spacious and comfortable and I would recomend it as long as your not paying too much, because it's not one of those cars that never breaks down, like our toyota."

Great SUV

By on Thursday, January 15, 2009

"I just t-boned a lexus with my sportage a few days going about 45mph. I now know and trust my sportage is a strong sturdy vehicle. We came out with no major injuries. This is the safest car I have ever driven and will be getting another one. Until the wreck, it ran great and it was reliable."

I'm keepin my baby!

By on Friday, December 12, 2008

"At 74000 miles and counting, my little Sportage is still smooth as silk. I keep her clean and the service work done on time with mobil one oil. She purrs like a kitten. The leather is so tough, it still looks new. I went to buy another Sportage, I had the deal made then asked myself why? It is the perfect car for any family of 1-4. lots of room with everything you need. 24 mpg I must ad. Great car."

Great Vehicle All Around!

By on Tuesday, October 14, 2008

"I've owned this car for 8 years and never had any problems with it. It is reliable, fuel efficient, and a great bang for your buck."

good dependable vehicle

By on Tuesday, July 22, 2008

"I have owned my 2002 for 6 years. I have done only regualr maintanace on it. Has 164K miles on it and still going strong.. I recommend the sportage for a low cost vehicle."

poor value

By on Thursday, January 10, 2008

"I am the original owner of a 2001 sportage that has had problems since day 1. The worst is that the check engine light is constantly on and I've been told that this is due to the engine harness being pinched. I just paid another $600.00 for a car that sits in repair more than it sits in my driveway."

Good value for the money

By on Thursday, December 27, 2007

"I own a 2001 Kia Sportage. I bought it 4 years ago with 11,000 miles, it now has 90,000, which is mostly freeway miles. Comparing to other SUV's, it was the best value for what I could afford to spend. I think I paid $11,000. It has been a pretty reliable car, with only minor repairs. I replaced the timing belt at around 70,000 at the suggestion of my mechnic. He said not to wait until it goes out because it's really costly then. Probably a good suggestion. The only down sides I see to the car are: It doesn't have a lot of power, especially going up hills. The seats are not leather and stain easily, which is not necessarily a defect of the car itself - probably the driver and passengers. The back seats don't fold all the way down as well as I would like, but for the economy of the gas mileage, it provides more space for carrying than a car would (I am a caterer). One more small anoyance is that on occasion when I unlock the doors, the alarm goes off and it starts beeping until I put the key in the ignition. It only does it randomly. I have parked outside for most of the time I have had the car, even in snowy weather and the paint has held up really well- no fading or pits."

Great cars

By on Friday, September 14, 2007

"My second Sportage. I had to retire due to an illness. I had to sell my new Honda Element and needed a reliable little SUV. I drove straight to the KIA dealer and found exactly what I wanted. A KIA Sportage Limited. Very Rare. Loaded to the max and driven by a lady who carried her child in a car seat in the back seat so to my knowledge no one had ridden in the back seat. The car was nearly perfect. I bought it on the spot. These are the best cars for the money on the market. I get 25 mpg. It rides like a big car. If you want a SUV and want gas mileage and low maintenence. Buy a Sportage."

My 1st New Car

By on Wednesday, September 5, 2007

"I bought a 99 Kia Sportage as my 1st new car my third year in college. I still have it!!!! :) I have never (yes, I said never) had any serious car trouble. I have driven it across the United States now with 160,000 miles on it. Eight years and no serious mechanical issues except of course the exspected tune-up drag. Yes, it is small on the inside but it works for a single gal who just wants to sit high :) It takes less gas than the sedan I had b4 it. I would recommend it to any smart shopper that doesn't have a big family to tote around. I love my car!!!"

99 sportage

By on Tuesday, August 7, 2007

"i bought a 99 with 13000 miles in 01. in 3 years, i put over 100,000 miles on it and never had any major work done to it. The vehicle was extremely rugged. I ran 30" tires on it and took it offroading many times. i also survived 2 major crashes in this vehicle. i would still be driving it if the 2nd crash didnt total the vehicle. I have owned many vehicles, and this little tank was my favorite! I am now looking into finding another!"