1995 Kia Sportage

6.3

Based on 305 Ratings for the 1995 - 2002 models.

7.0/10
    6.5/10
    7.0/10
    6.5/10
    6.9/10
    6.8/10

Good Vehicle for low price!

By on Saturday, May 24, 2014

"Cost- $1850 Owened for about 1 Year Mileage 135K 2.0 Manual 5 Speed 2 Wheel Drive Repairs so far: Timing Belt, Spark Plugs and CV Joints PROS: Very comfortable and reliable vehicle. Very peppy and it is sporty looking. It can easily haul a Canoe, Kyaks, or Bicycles. CONS: Not great in snow unless you add 2 salt bags to cargo area. Spark Plugs are a hassle to change and new wires are expensive. Always use Ebay for more reasonable part costs. Also gas mileage is about 20-25 MPG. Neeeds a new timing belt about every 60k+ miles as stated by many owners, this is common among many vehicles today."

Problem car

By on Saturday, May 10, 2014

Reason: everything

Pros: "No pros"

Cons: "Everything"

"I called this a problem car! I bought it because it is 4x4. But this car was nothing but trouble...from day one. I regret buying it. I put it on Craigslist and not a single soul was interested, even for $400, with 132,000 miles. I put an old Subaru with 265,000 miles for the same price and I got more interested souls. No more Kia."

The Best

By on Saturday, March 29, 2014

Pros: "I already have recommended it to several friends."

Cons: "Great Price/Fun to drive/Reliable."

"I have driven this SUV from Texas to Providence, Maine, and back again. I have traveled many of the back roads of Texas and criss-crossed this state more times than I can count. I trust it completely. I would not part with it at all if not for the mileage. I plan on traveling a lot in my future and need something a little less miles on it. I trust her right now. I would not hesitate to keep her but my husband insists."

Unreliable Car

By on Saturday, March 08, 2014

Pros: "Got it for only $2,400"

Cons: "Broke down a lot"

"I've gone through so much time and money trying to save this dinky little car after it had broken down multiple times. But this last time it broke down I couldn't afford to pay $1,000+ to fix it. Ever since I got it this car has had it's many issues. I plan to stay away from buying Kia vehicles from now on."

Good Value for The Money

By on Monday, March 03, 2014

Pros: "4X4, reliable engine and drivetrain"

Cons: "Auto hubs, oil filter adapter"

"I bought this car used about ten years ago for $8500. It had been owned new for about two years and had about 30k miles on it. For a true 4X4 with leather seats and low miles, it was a good value. It has never had a major mechanical incident in the 10 years I've owned it. There have been three low-cost repairs needed in all this time. The vacuum system to engage the hubs went out early in its life, so I had it replaced with manual hubs-- cheap and effective. It developed an oil leak around year six or seven. The cause was an oil filter adapter (apparently used to accommodate different countries). So, no big deal, replace and reseal. About $250. The rear axle began seeping grease into the rear drum brakes, resulting in the rear tire(s) locking after releasing the brake pedal. The grease would leak in, and due to friction and heat it would become very gummy/sticky. Then when you applied the brakes the shoes would stick. On slippery Montana roads this was dangerous. $400 repair. Under $1000 in repairs in 10 years of ownership is a good value. A 4X4 where I live is nice. It's small, so it's not the best car for my family of five. It drives a little rough like a jeep, but goes just fine over the Interstate at 70mph. If you're looking at an older one, I would feel confident about the engine and drivetrain. Due to the age of the vehicle it's likely you'll have some repairs, but they probably won't break the bank."