2002 Kia Spectra

7.0

Based on 213 Ratings for the 2000 - 2004 models.

7.2/10
    7.4/10
    7.3/10
    7.4/10

Great Car IF you are not making a statement!!!

By on Saturday, February 16, 2008

"I read & rated all 46 reviews of Kia Spectra available before I did my own review. PLEASE enter comments -- stars alone are useless. I gleaned a lot from both the positive and the negative reviews. After reading these, I can see why I like the Kia Spectra. This is NOT for a person who wants "style", luxury, sportscar performance. You will NOT "make a statement" with a Kia. You may even be the brunt of a few jokes. However, if you want a reliable ride, adequate performance, value for what you pay, and you don't mind some aesthetics issues, this is a good choice. If you buy new, then you want to be the type that is going to RTF (Run Till Failure) because they do NOT hold their value. If you buy used, as I do, then this loss of value is to your advantage!!! I bought a 2003 Spectra in Feb 2005 (15k miles) for $5700. I drove it for 2.5 years to work (21k miles per year). In June 2007 I bought a used 2006 Kia Rio5 and past down the 03 Spectra to my wife. The Spectra now has almost 80k miles. We change oil, windshield wipers, tires -- still has original battery!!). The CHECK ENGINE light came on at about 40k miles. I read owner's manual -- indicates an "emissions problem". I don't see any smoke coming from my tailpipe. Performance is the same. I put black electrical tape over the light to reduce the annoyance and it just keeps on rolling, no problem. Gas mileage for size of vehicle is not great (25 - 27 mpg hwy, aggressive driver). Comparable Toyota/Nissan/Honda/... would get mid-30's. BUT the Kia, especially when purchased used, is 1000's less than these other "better" cars, so even at $2.90/gallon, I can buy a lot of gas with these 1000's I save on the car. I am debt-free and purchase vehicles for cash, so I can self-insure a Kia (I carry liability only), which saves me more money. As I said earlier, I bought another Kia in June 2006, and I am about to buy another used Spectra (2002, 75k miles) from its original owner for about $3000. I am not as confident as a Toyota owner about bragging about Kias, but I guess I let my $$$ do my talking. New car folks, buy it and keep it "forever" because at this point the Kias do not hold any value. Use car folks like me, take advantage of the Kia's poor resale value and get a good, reliable car for less. As always, check out a used car carefully before purchase, title check, etc."

I love my Spectra

By on Wednesday, August 22, 2007

"I do love this little car. I bought it new in 2001 and still love it. It has taken me 110,000 miles now and it's still going strong. The body does get dings in it very easily and the tail lights weren't made properly, causing moisture to build up inside the casing and eventually the bulb will blow out. I have replaced the rear tail lights a few times. I also had a minor transmission problem before the car was out of warranty, but that was taken care of by the dealer. Other than that I have had no problems with this car and I love it. Every other car I have owned before I have traded in before the warranty was even over, I will drive this car until it finally gives out on me."

Excellent value for the money!

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Pros: "great fuel economy,"

Cons: "lots of road noise"

"While this is no luxury car,for the money spent you can't go wrong.The fuel mileage is a constant 28 mpg highway and comes with features Honda and Toyota don't have on the base models.ie:electric windows,elec mirrors,elec door locks."

Old reliable

By on Friday, June 13, 2008

"We bought this car in early 2003 to replace a Sephia that was totaled in a T-bone accident (with no passenger compartment intrusion, I walked away - Thanks, Kia). It had a whole 4 miles on the ODO when we test drove it - they hadn't even removed all of the plastic. Five years later, it has 160,000 miles on it, and I can honestly say I would buy it again. If you are looking to purchase, keep in mind a few things - 1) Do not intend to resell this car, as they don't hold their value. 2) You will have some cosmetic issues with the car. The dash is cracked and pulling away, the interior hatchback release broke during the first winter, the weatherstripping around the hatch is mostly gone - but it doesn't leak!, and the paint is pitted and chipped in the front from interstate driving. That said - it runs well and gets 30+mpg. Over the course of the car's lifetime to date, it has had one recall performed on it, and everything else has been general maintenance(3 sets of tires, 3 sets of headlamps, 2 sets of brakes - but only one set of rotors, one timing belt, one serpentine belt, 3 sets of spark plug, one battery, and oil changes without number!). I can depend on it starting when I want it to, and I am not afraid to jump in it and take long trips (although the seat is not especially comfortable after the 4 hour mark!). Folks make fun of it, although not as much as they once did, and the response that it was cheap, is paid for, and gets 30 miles to the gallon of gas usually silences the critics these days!"

Great Reliable Car.

By on Wednesday, October 10, 2007

"This is not a car for the person who likes luxury features and fancy electronic details, but rather, a car for normal people. People who need a car to go from point a to point b whilst never worrying for a second about the vehicle that is going to take them there. I have driven mine for 4 years now and I love it. The car gets great gas mileage, drives great, is comfortable, and best of all, I have never once worried about it for any reason what-so-ever. This is a simple car for people who simply need to drive. I love it."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Kia Spectra near Honolulu. See local deals