2011 Kia Soul

Based on 326 Ratings for the 2010 - 2013 models.

Great Car For The Money!

By on Sunday, October 23, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, Great value, Roomy interior"

Cons: "Automoatic trans, easy to scratch door panels"

"I could take the time to complain about the shortcomings of this car, like the easy to scratch interior door panels and the erratic first to second gear shift of the automatic transmission. I could say that the engine noise is a little on the loud side in the interior cabin, but honestly those are the only shortcomings that I have found in this little car and they are minor in the overall driving experience. My family and I use this car for all of our outings and I drive it to and from work on a daily basis (6 days a week), a commute that consists of a 54 mile daily trek, round trip. So the Soul has earned all of its 48000 miles now showing on the odometer. The trip my wife and I took into the Blue Ridge Mountains of Georgia was an absolute blast. The Soul handled wonderfully throughout the curves and mountainous terrain. I seldom had to touch the brake pedal when descending the grades, turning off the overdrive switch allowed for the little car to use the engine braking of the 2.0L in-line 4 cylinder and maintained a quite manageable downhill speed. I had expected the climb through the mountains to be hard on the Soul, but found that the engine and automatic transmission handled it well. Equally surprising was that the fuel mileage did not suffer from the mountainous terrain either. I have experienced fuel mileage ranging from as low as 24 to a best of 31 mpg. My wife laughs at me each time we fill up because I write my mileage on each gas receipt and log it into a spreadsheet on my laptop. Due to such record keeping, I can tell you that the overall average mileage is currently just a tick under 26 MPG. The Kia Soul offers a lot of value for the money. I am extremely fond of the hands free Bluetooth and the Sirius Satelite Radio. The iPod connections are quite easy to use as is all of the steering wheel mounted controls (radio controls, cruise control, and hands free telephone controls). There is plenty of room up front for driver and passenger. More surprisingly is the abundant roominess for the rear seat passengers, plenty of leg room and the first small car in which I've experienced this. While I mentioned the shortcomings of this car in my opening remarks, the only real irritating shortcoming is the automatic transmission. While it doesn't do it all the time, I sometimes experience a sort of slip between first and second gear. It tends to only occur when I accelerate a little more than normal, but not quite at an aggressive rate. If I get aggressive with acceleration, it does not occur. Nor does it occur if I accelerate at a normal rate. I have become accustomed to it since I drive it daily, adjusting my driving habits to compensate, but my wife and daughter have yet to figure out exactly what I am talking about. My daughter no longer likes driving it because of the weird shift. I took it to the dealer and was told that the shift was a normal operation and it has never gotten any worse. Overall, I love this little car and have always been quite impressed with its handling and how zippy it is while driving. I would most certainly recommend this car to a friend and I would absolutely purchase another without hesitation."

Replacement for a Chevy Cobalt

By on Saturday, September 29, 2012

Pros: "Gas Mileage, feature packed, safety features"

Cons: "Stiff ride, dark interior"

"Purchased a 2009 Cobalt new, loved the bells and whistles and drive-ability of car, but MPG was less than stellar. Only got over 30 MPG twice in 3 years and I am not a lead foot push it driver. A friend bought a 2012 Soul and my wife and rode in it several times and liked it. As an older individual, getting in and out of the Soul was much easier than the Cobalt. Traded it in for a 2013 Soul+ and very impressed to this point. Early MPG average of 32 has my attention. Roomy interior, stylish exterior. Has all the same features of my loaded Cobalt. Ride is stiffer than the Cobalt, but tighter turning, better visibility in front, telescoping and tilt steering, excellent safety ratings and a ton of car stability and tracking features. Active Eco system is a plus. Sound quality on the entertainment system is good. This car is a great value and a fun little wagon to drive. Only complaint is dark interior and lack of cup holders (bottle holders only) in the rear seat area."

So I got a SOUL....so what do I think?

By on Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Pros: "See the above...I like everything!"

Cons: "Ummmmmmmm. Nothing bad at all!"

"I think... 1) I got a really, really good car! 2) I paid way less than it looks like I paid! 3) I can easiy spot my Soul is a parking lot parked with Corollas, Civics, Sentra's and other plain, boring vanilla compact vehicles! 4)It's been many years since I've had a new car that got so much attention from other drivers, and peple in parking lots steal envious gazes at my Soul! 5) My 2013 Soul Exclaim if without a doubt, the best made, highest quality, best value and most fun to drove car I've had so far...and I've had many many new cars of different brands and models in the past. We were so impressed by this KIA...that my wife bought a new KIA Optima (made in USA)and daughter bought a new KIA Sorento (Made in USA!) too! And the 10 year 100,000 warranty is just icing on the cake!"

Everything we need and a little more!

By on Saturday, September 22, 2012

Pros: "Great price, space, warranty and gas mileage"

Cons: "shifting, idling, trunk space"

"When we first went to look for a new car admittingly the Soul was not my first choice. I always made fun of cars in that sort of style (XB, cube, etc ) but once I got into this car I was completely suprised. The one I purchased was the White plus model (2nd of the 3 models). More head room than I had in my Nissan Versa, which is a huge plus for me. We first looked at the Sportage and I couldn't the multiple times I got in and out of the car find a comfortable way to get in without hitting my head. I am almost 5'9 and my husband is 5'6 and had the same problem. The interior is probably the roomiest I have ever seen, front and back. Plenty of foot room, especially in the rear seats. Being a bit higher off the ground is a plus. You get the feel of a small SUV without compromising gas mileage. Overall I get 28 in city and 31/32 on highway. The set up on the steering wheel for your controls is very easy to use and set up nicely. The voice command for bluetooth has yet to give me a problem. I enjoy the black interior, though the raised lettering gives me a bit of a funky feel. We also have a medium size dog that rides in the trunk with plenty of room. If you're looking for the size of a sedan in the trunk you may be a bit dissapointed, but if you don't plan on using the trunk for more than a small stroller or groceries it's fine. Blind spots aren't that big of a problem. You can see very clearly out the back window. So far the only things that I think could be better are the shifting and the idling. Shifting when going from slower to faster speeds when having to do so quickly seems to confusse the transmission. Doesn't feel unsafe, but it can be annoying. Also, the idling from day one is very loud. There are times I put the car into neutral to make it calm down a bit. Overall I am very happy we upgraded in size without feeling like it too much. I wanted an SUV and got the feels I was looking for without nearly the price. Before taxes and such it was at 19,200.The warranty can't be beat as well. a 5yr,60k bumper to bumper and roadside assistance with 100k/10yr power train warranty is the best on the market without paying more for it. And for insurance, it's classified as a wagon, so it was actually cheaper than my hatchback!"

great car

By on Tuesday, July 02, 2013

"This car has been great, we have only had to replace tires, wiperblades & air filter. Only 2) complaints: 1) resale value 2) interior road noise, which has been addressed in newer models."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Kia Soul near Honolulu. See local deals