• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2014 Kia Sorento Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $23,300 - $23,933.

10/7.8

8.1

Based on 233 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

Best SUV for the money

By on Saturday, June 28, 2014

Pros: "Great price and sharp looks"

"Our 2013 Sorento is the second Sorento we have owned. Totally our family has owned 5 Kias. Each has always had a high quality for the price. The 2013 Sorento has all the luxury we could want plus excellent gas mileage of between 22-23 highway and 19-21 city."

Must view if shopping for SUV

By on Friday, June 20, 2014

Pros: "Good bang for buck, great value"

Cons: "S-l-o-w motor, cheap seats"

"We've had this 3rd row equipped Sorento for a couple years, with the I-4. My chief complaint is the flat feeling seats, I have trucks, so I'm used to padding, my wife came from an uber cheap 06-ish Malibu, so she's used to cardboard seating, I am not. The 3rd row is very helpful with people who need a minivan but refuse to buy one (ahem!!! Wifey), but with the rears up, you won't hold much beyond a single gym bag, and maybe a gallon of milk back there with it. The rear doors are large enough to get kids in and out, the 2nd row passenger seat "tumbles" forward, looks easy enough to get in, my 250lb over 6ft frame can get back there, once I'm there, getting back out is the trick! Aside of the cheap seats, I hate the steering wheel size, feels video game small. This is just me and trucks I'm sure, but I personally don't like it. I don't like the chrome trim around the gauges, it reflects sunlight in the eyes quite often. The overall interior is really nice looking, is holding up well to kids, but we are the "don't eat, don't drink" in the car parents, so that helps a ton. The little engine, it really seems to struggle. It's a little 4 cylinder, and it shows it. I use the manu-matic mode just to get it up around 3K so it feels like it's moving, it really feels sluggish. Gets mid to high 20's for mileage, which was below the reported mileage, so we get rebate money from that, but I don't know if you'd get that buying it used. Overall, it's a nicely styled car/van/SUV thing, rides pretty well, cruises along nicely, just has troubles passing people, and getting up to speed from a stop. It holds 6 comfortably, and 7 if the middle row has children or real small (skinny) adults. Has a lot of options, the XM/Sirius is cool, good sounding stereo, and the backup camera is really handy, as these vehicles aren't exactly the easiest thing to back into a parking spot, or a garage."

Won't own another Kia

By on Friday, June 20, 2014

Pros: "Gas mileage, price"

Cons: "Quality, reliability"

"I have a 2011 Kia Sorento and a 2010 Kia Forte. Both were bought brand new within 6 months of each other. Both are very comfortable, nice looking, get great gas mileage and affordable. However, we have had multiple problems with both vehicles. Just on the Sorento: Brake switch (replaced twice because the first one failed and the replacement part was recalled), power lock/window controls, heated seat on passenger side, fan motor, screws fell out of the dome light, transmission failed & was finally replaced after multiple repairs, gas cap door had to be adjusted multiple times because it wouldn't open, transmission sensor just had to be replaced (in the new transmission). The list goes on plus there have been a couple recall repairs. We've had similar issues with the Forte - steering wheel controls for stereo/cruise control failed (volume button activated the cruise control, station button changed the volume etc), brake switch failed, rear brakes extremely corroded after only 15k miles, speaker wires came loose, etc... While all repairs have been under warranty, the factory warranty is now expired on the Sorento and we were actually persuaded NOT to buy the extended warranty because Kia is supposed to be so reliable and has a 10 year 100k mile powertrain warranty. I now regret not buying the extended warranty because many of the repairs would not be considered powertrain issues and will now not be covered if similar things fail in the future. Kia needs to significantly improve their quality and reliability before I will ever consider owning another one. We've spent far too much time back and forth at the dealership for cars that were bought new and have less than 65k miles on them."

Faulty Design Features

By on Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Pros: "Good pick up with 6 cyl"

Cons: "auto dim illumination, window shade rattles, space"

"I cannot safely drive this car. The instrument cluster auto dims to the point on bright/sunny days that the speedometer needle, KMH and 5mph markers are very hard to see or are invisible. 8 complaints have been made to NHTSA for same problem. Kia says it "is working as designed" "Kia cannot help you". Since design features are not covered under warranty I am out of luck. Had a 2012 which I loved. I will have to get rid of this car soon as it is not safe for me to drive since I have to take my eyes off the road to check on speed. Also rattling window shade "no adjustment available". Otherwise the car runs great. I wish I had kept my 2012."

Love this car!

By on Friday, May 23, 2014

Pros: "Seven seats, spacious, sleek style & features.."

Cons: "maintainence of new technology.."

"We purchase our Burgundy/Cherry Sorento SX March of 2013 and currently have 34,000 miles. We constantly have people do double takes when they see the car because they can't believe it's a Kia. The third row fold down seats are perfect when our kids friends tag along. All the whistle and bells are awesome, however, my only grip with so much technology is when it has a gliche. After taking our car in for it's recommended 30k mile check up, the dealership rotated our tires. Every since, our TPS (tire pressure sensor) light on the dash continues to sporadically come on. Each time it comes on we've taken it to the dealer and they've run a diagnostic to no avail. Tires have been replaced,tire pressures have been checked all by the dealer to no avail and after the fifth trip to the dealer they've replaced all the TPS. Today it's at the dealer again for the TPS light coming on... Other than that we love the car, just frustrating not being able to trust the technology when it tells you the tire is flat or low. I know, get out and look at the tire, but that's not the point..."