• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2012 Kia Sorento

8.1

Based on 231 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

Won't own another Kia

By on Friday, June 20, 2014

Pros: "Gas mileage, price"

Cons: "Quality, reliability"

"I have a 2011 Kia Sorento and a 2010 Kia Forte. Both were bought brand new within 6 months of each other. Both are very comfortable, nice looking, get great gas mileage and affordable. However, we have had multiple problems with both vehicles. Just on the Sorento: Brake switch (replaced twice because the first one failed and the replacement part was recalled), power lock/window controls, heated seat on passenger side, fan motor, screws fell out of the dome light, transmission failed & was finally replaced after multiple repairs, gas cap door had to be adjusted multiple times because it wouldn't open, transmission sensor just had to be replaced (in the new transmission). The list goes on plus there have been a couple recall repairs. We've had similar issues with the Forte - steering wheel controls for stereo/cruise control failed (volume button activated the cruise control, station button changed the volume etc), brake switch failed, rear brakes extremely corroded after only 15k miles, speaker wires came loose, etc... While all repairs have been under warranty, the factory warranty is now expired on the Sorento and we were actually persuaded NOT to buy the extended warranty because Kia is supposed to be so reliable and has a 10 year 100k mile powertrain warranty. I now regret not buying the extended warranty because many of the repairs would not be considered powertrain issues and will now not be covered if similar things fail in the future. Kia needs to significantly improve their quality and reliability before I will ever consider owning another one. We've spent far too much time back and forth at the dealership for cars that were bought new and have less than 65k miles on them."

Faulty Design Features

By on Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Pros: "Good pick up with 6 cyl"

Cons: "auto dim illumination, window shade rattles, space"

"I cannot safely drive this car. The instrument cluster auto dims to the point on bright/sunny days that the speedometer needle, KMH and 5mph markers are very hard to see or are invisible. 8 complaints have been made to NHTSA for same problem. Kia says it "is working as designed" "Kia cannot help you". Since design features are not covered under warranty I am out of luck. Had a 2012 which I loved. I will have to get rid of this car soon as it is not safe for me to drive since I have to take my eyes off the road to check on speed. Also rattling window shade "no adjustment available". Otherwise the car runs great. I wish I had kept my 2012."

Love this car!

By on Friday, May 23, 2014

Pros: "Seven seats, spacious, sleek style & features.."

Cons: "maintainence of new technology.."

"We purchase our Burgundy/Cherry Sorento SX March of 2013 and currently have 34,000 miles. We constantly have people do double takes when they see the car because they can't believe it's a Kia. The third row fold down seats are perfect when our kids friends tag along. All the whistle and bells are awesome, however, my only grip with so much technology is when it has a gliche. After taking our car in for it's recommended 30k mile check up, the dealership rotated our tires. Every since, our TPS (tire pressure sensor) light on the dash continues to sporadically come on. Each time it comes on we've taken it to the dealer and they've run a diagnostic to no avail. Tires have been replaced,tire pressures have been checked all by the dealer to no avail and after the fifth trip to the dealer they've replaced all the TPS. Today it's at the dealer again for the TPS light coming on... Other than that we love the car, just frustrating not being able to trust the technology when it tells you the tire is flat or low. I know, get out and look at the tire, but that's not the point..."

Very satisfied

By on Monday, May 12, 2014

Pros: "Good mileage, handles well and trouble free"

Cons: "Would like to have more comfortable arm rests."

"I have just turned 74,000 miles and all trouble free. Most of my driving here in AZ is interstate at 75+ mph and doing the summer @ 100 degrees plus. At this speed my average mpg is about 22-23 mpg. I have had absolutely no problems. I did replace the tires Firestones) at 50,000 miles. Brake Pads still have another 30,000 miles left. I will definitely stick to KIA. I am looking forward to seeing 100,000 miles on the clock. A great car!"

This is the best vehicle I have ever owned !!!!

By on Friday, May 02, 2014

Pros: "lots of extras or not depending what you want."

Cons: "Haven't found and cons yet."

"I love my Sorento SX. Fun to drive and very dependable. Its 2 years old and I am going today to look at another one. I have a new Cadenza 6 months old, nice but I prefer the Sorento SX. I have sent 11 couples to our dealership and all have bought a new Kia."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Kia Sorento near Honolulu. See local deals