2009 Kia Sorento

7.9

Based on 643 Ratings for the 2003 - 2009 models.

An SUV Worthy of Better Credit

By on Friday, September 12, 2008

"My only big complaint with my Sorento so far is its ability to retain market value. I bet that I could rebadge this vehicle with one of the social status SUV badges and I could sell it for more than what I paid for it new. Otherwise, as of this writing, I haven't had one bit of mechanical problem with it. The fuel economy rating is way off from what the manf claims, but that was before the gov't made them change how they calculate it. Mine avg's 21 mpg Hwy @ 70 mph. City mpg varies too much to get an accurate avg but, if I had to guess it would be around 16-17 mpg. Changing the oil is a chore due to a skid plate covering the bottom of the engine. Once the skid plate is removed everything is easily accessable BUT, you just can't use any oil filter. You have to make sure that you get one that matches the height of the OEM filter or you further complicate the process. So far the only aftermarket filter I found that fits without a hassle is WIX. Frams are about 5/16" too tall to fit without an extra 10 minutes worth of mechanic work. The ride is smooth and the vehicle handles as expected for an SUV of it's size, which is very well. I haven't taken mine off-road but people in the Sorento forums swear that these outperform the stock Jeeps, GMC's, Chevy's and other SUV's in it's class. I'm sure they wouldn't lie, expecially since they're on the Internet making these claims. KIA could improve the interior by adding some extra 12v outlets in the rear, which may have already been done with newer editions, and improving the stereo head unit. They still offer cassette/CD combo. Get with the program and install MP3 ready equipment. Otherwise the sound of the stereo is good as-is. Bottom line, you can get a loaded-out Sorento for the same price you can get an entry level "Status Quo" SUV, plus you get a much better warranty with the KIA."

Best Bang for Buck!

By on Friday, December 06, 2013

Pros: "Great for the price, durable, good on gas"

Cons: "front lite bulbs short out constantly"

"Got mine in 2005 and had a few mechanical issue that werent necessarily manufacturer related. Only 1 was a warped drive train but that was replaced by warranty. I do have a problem with the front bulbs constantly needing replacement but considering I'm nearing 200K miles Ive been extremely pleased with mine and I'd recommend it to anyone. Be warned replacing the timing chain is a pain (done it twice). Have it replaced by a mechanic."

Loved it

By on Thursday, March 28, 2013

Pros: "Awsome in the snow"

Cons: "Warrenty fine print"

"I have owned two of these, the sorento itself is a great SUV, it drives and handles as good if not better than others out there, I have often said its like riding in a lincoin because the ride is so smooth. It is great in the snow, I have not gotten it stuck yet! I am very happy with this vehicle, I was rearended in my last one and I have to say I had less dammage then the other vehicle it just messed up the bumper and tail light but the other car was totaled. I recommend this vehicle all the time to everyone. I think the price is comparable to others its size and options, I will say this while the warrenty is good you have to do a lot to keep in with in the warrenty requirements (thats the only down side) and the warrenty is only half if you sell the vehicle to someone else or if your the second owner its not the full 10/100,000 of the original warrenty."

Best SUV bargain around

By on Saturday, May 02, 2009

"My Kia Sorrento EX has been an outstanding SUV. It's better than the Toyota 4-Runner and Highlander that I used to own. The 4WD works great on-road and off-road. Very comfortable seating position. The ride isn't quite as soft as the Highlander, but that's the trade-off for a true off-road 4WD SUV with better towing capability. More comfortable than other "real 4WD" SUVs under $40K. I was in a 360 degree spinout at highway speeds (my fault, not the vehicle) and the vehicle stayed upright and undamaged. The MPG is a little less than some of it's competitors, but the cost of the Sorrento is so much less (if bought below it's MSRP), that I'm still money ahead for many years until the "break-even" point. I've had the vehicle for several years and it has been flawless in construction and performance. Never had any mechanical problems. High quality interior materials...much better materials than it's American competitors. I bought my Sorrento because a friend traded in his Lexus RX330 for a Sorrento EX and he liked it more than his Lexus. These cars are an amazing bargain if you can find one used, because they resell quite a bit below the new MSRP. Overall, the best 4WD SUV I've tried under $40k. If I wanted to spend more than $40k, I'd probably go with a Lexus GX or LX."

A great long term value

By on Thursday, December 17, 2015

Pros: "solid construction, great value, well powered V6"

Cons: "Few. Almost certain rear end repair at 100K+ miles"

"I have owned my 2007 model Sorento for 3.5 years now, and have driven it from 75000 miles to 132000. My wife and I constantly talk about how pleased we are with it. It drives now just as smoothly and solidly as it did when we got it. it is comfortable and durable, has a great turning radius, and super pick up. It is solidly constructed. Reliability is the #1 quality I look for in a car, and the Sorento has been so for me with one exception. I find it to be very low maintenance overall, especially given its mileage range, and this pleases me to no end. One of the reasons it has cost little is because I own the 2007 model, the only one which has a timing chain instead of timing belt. This means it never has to be replaced, unlike the others years'. The one exception I can mention as far as maintenance is the rear differential. All of the Sorentos in this range have a standard problem caused by leftover welding solder inside the rear differential. In time (100K-120K miles) these rough edges break off and get into the bearings in the rear differential and start making noise. This does need to be fixed as eventually the bearings will wear out because of it. if you take it to the dealer they will want to charge you $1800 and replace the 'chuck,' the whole axle and differential all in one set. This is the surest and speediest repair (and easiest for the dealer, which is why they do it). you can bargain the dealer down to $1200 if you try, but in the end I refused this and had a local mechanic take the differential apart and fix it for $600. While this may sound scary, I still recommend the car wholeheartedly. It is a standard repair the dealers know about, and is the only issue I have had. To drive a paid off car for for 3.5 years, put 60K miles on it, and only have spent less than $1000 in maintenance and repairs...yes, I will take that. I fully expect this car to last me past 200K miles."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Kia Sorento near Honolulu. See local deals