2003 Kia Sorento

7.9

Based on 649 Ratings for the 2003 - 2009 models.

An SUV Worthy of Better Credit

By on Friday, September 12, 2008

"My only big complaint with my Sorento so far is its ability to retain market value. I bet that I could rebadge this vehicle with one of the social status SUV badges and I could sell it for more than what I paid for it new. Otherwise, as of this writing, I haven't had one bit of mechanical problem with it. The fuel economy rating is way off from what the manf claims, but that was before the gov't made them change how they calculate it. Mine avg's 21 mpg Hwy @ 70 mph. City mpg varies too much to get an accurate avg but, if I had to guess it would be around 16-17 mpg. Changing the oil is a chore due to a skid plate covering the bottom of the engine. Once the skid plate is removed everything is easily accessable BUT, you just can't use any oil filter. You have to make sure that you get one that matches the height of the OEM filter or you further complicate the process. So far the only aftermarket filter I found that fits without a hassle is WIX. Frams are about 5/16" too tall to fit without an extra 10 minutes worth of mechanic work. The ride is smooth and the vehicle handles as expected for an SUV of it's size, which is very well. I haven't taken mine off-road but people in the Sorento forums swear that these outperform the stock Jeeps, GMC's, Chevy's and other SUV's in it's class. I'm sure they wouldn't lie, expecially since they're on the Internet making these claims. KIA could improve the interior by adding some extra 12v outlets in the rear, which may have already been done with newer editions, and improving the stereo head unit. They still offer cassette/CD combo. Get with the program and install MP3 ready equipment. Otherwise the sound of the stereo is good as-is. Bottom line, you can get a loaded-out Sorento for the same price you can get an entry level "Status Quo" SUV, plus you get a much better warranty with the KIA."

Best Bang for Buck!

By on Friday, December 6, 2013

Pros: "Great for the price, durable, good on gas"

Cons: "front lite bulbs short out constantly"

"Got mine in 2005 and had a few mechanical issue that werent necessarily manufacturer related. Only 1 was a warped drive train but that was replaced by warranty. I do have a problem with the front bulbs constantly needing replacement but considering I'm nearing 200K miles Ive been extremely pleased with mine and I'd recommend it to anyone. Be warned replacing the timing chain is a pain (done it twice). Have it replaced by a mechanic."

Loved it

By on Thursday, March 28, 2013

Pros: "Awsome in the snow"

Cons: "Warrenty fine print"

"I have owned two of these, the sorento itself is a great SUV, it drives and handles as good if not better than others out there, I have often said its like riding in a lincoin because the ride is so smooth. It is great in the snow, I have not gotten it stuck yet! I am very happy with this vehicle, I was rearended in my last one and I have to say I had less dammage then the other vehicle it just messed up the bumper and tail light but the other car was totaled. I recommend this vehicle all the time to everyone. I think the price is comparable to others its size and options, I will say this while the warrenty is good you have to do a lot to keep in with in the warrenty requirements (thats the only down side) and the warrenty is only half if you sell the vehicle to someone else or if your the second owner its not the full 10/100,000 of the original warrenty."

Best SUV bargain around

By on Saturday, May 2, 2009

"My Kia Sorrento EX has been an outstanding SUV. It's better than the Toyota 4-Runner and Highlander that I used to own. The 4WD works great on-road and off-road. Very comfortable seating position. The ride isn't quite as soft as the Highlander, but that's the trade-off for a true off-road 4WD SUV with better towing capability. More comfortable than other "real 4WD" SUVs under $40K. I was in a 360 degree spinout at highway speeds (my fault, not the vehicle) and the vehicle stayed upright and undamaged. The MPG is a little less than some of it's competitors, but the cost of the Sorrento is so much less (if bought below it's MSRP), that I'm still money ahead for many years until the "break-even" point. I've had the vehicle for several years and it has been flawless in construction and performance. Never had any mechanical problems. High quality interior materials...much better materials than it's American competitors. I bought my Sorrento because a friend traded in his Lexus RX330 for a Sorrento EX and he liked it more than his Lexus. These cars are an amazing bargain if you can find one used, because they resell quite a bit below the new MSRP. Overall, the best 4WD SUV I've tried under $40k. If I wanted to spend more than $40k, I'd probably go with a Lexus GX or LX."

Very nice SUV

By on Sunday, July 6, 2014

Pros: "Good gas mileage, lots of cargo space"

Cons: "Little bit bumpy ride"

"Prior to owning this car, I had a Lexus RX 330. I have two kids and dog and haul furniture from antique stores in my Sorento. The rear seats fold down easily and I have had up to four ladderback chairs in the back at one time. (Also have had a 4 drawer file cabinet in there.) It is not as smooth a ride as the Lexus was, but it handles well. It also seems to be better in the snow than the Lexus was. I like it because it sits high, the inside has lots of cupholders and pockets for stuff, and perhaps surprisingly I have found that mine gets quite good gas mileage. And since it doesn't require premium gas, it costs me less to fill up. I was spoiled coming off the Lexus, but honestly, haven't missed it THAT much since getting this."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Kia Sorento near Honolulu. See local deals