• 2014 Compact Car Buyer's Guide

2012 Kia Rio

8.1

Based on 30 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

Kia should advertise this car much more. Excellent

By on Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Pros: "Great price! great quality! great mileage!"

Cons: "Cup holders too small"

"Most people buy this model with few options. We felt the sx model would be great and added all options available. Mileage is best I have gotten from all my small cars. My Honda and 2 Toyotas couldn't compare. I drive a car " hard" and this car handles well. Quality is as good or better then the Honda and Toyota. Can't beat the warranty. Priced all the small cars from all the "big" brand names and not one came close. One complaint cup holders are too small. Lol."

If you can buy this car get it !

By on Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Pros: "Looks, gas milage , Euro style"

Cons: "Seats"

"Have had my red EX for 2 1/2 years and can say it is great , ride good ,quite inside , European looks (like Seat Leon) and the fact that is is 97% recyclable is also a plus for the environment. Get many people ask me if brought this back from Europe and love the car. Have had to do nothing but change the oil , air filter and cabin filter on it better record that my last Mazda 3 only things to note are gas mileage is less than advertised (but Kia has program to reimburse owners for the life of the car the difference in cash) and the seats on long hauls bit uncomfortable ) but they are made from caster beans so price I pay for the fact they can be recycled) recommend highly."

TOO SMALL-INADACUATE CUP HOLDERS

By on Monday, June 23, 2014

Pros: "GAS MILIAGE"

Cons: "bad cup holders-not big enough"

"OK IF THERE'S ONLY TWO OF YOU. NO ROOM IN BACK SEAT."

Excellent value and professional look

By on Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Pros: "Quick, good on gas on the highway, up to 38 mpg"

Cons: "Gas economy in the city about 27"

"This is a fantastic car, never had any issues, Maintenance is done by the dealership"

Great value!

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2014

"Pros: Fuel economy Reliability drives best at highway speeds excellent warranty Best bang for the buck. Comes with blue tooth, real rims (I can actaually see my brakes!) turn signal mirrors, keyless entry, built in hard drive for music, leather wrapped steering wheel, soft touch plastic, fold down seats, and more. cheap to maintian cons: drivers arm rest paint is flaking off after only 10mos 20,000mi but is getting replaced thanks to the great warranty. Makes a strange noise sometimes (sounds like exhuast shield?) very faint, not enough to bother me. not the best handling car in the world. driver and car dont feel connected. (probably due to the electiric steering in part) Overall if I had it to do all over again I probably would have gone with a used car vs a new one however I am very please with the 2013 kia rio EX"

loses power when the heat or air is on.

By on Monday, April 07, 2014

Pros: "handles great"

Cons: "no power windows or locks and no arm rest"

"Not bad for a manual transmission that will not roll back on a hill. Great for drivers who are learning to drive a manual transmission for the first time. Put an aftermarket intake on it and get 44.2mpg on the highway going 70mph. only costs around $30 to fill up when almost on empty."

pretty good car

By on Friday, March 21, 2014

Pros: "good price, reliable"

Cons: "blind spots, road noise"

"the only 2 things I don't love about it are the fact that it has so many blind spots and the road noise. Other than that is great! I like it!"

great for driving to work or school

By on Thursday, January 30, 2014

Pros: "Excellent gas mileage!"

Cons: "Front passenger seat too low, can't raise"

"A great car for the price. Love the loaded premium package that turns it into a luxury vehicle. Good looking inside and out. Wish it had a real spare tire instead of a can of sealant and a front passenger seat that could be raised."

Excellent automobile, super gas mileage

By on Monday, January 13, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, economical"

Cons: "none that I can think of"

"I purchased this car in 2012 for daily travel of 50 to 100 miles a day. The mileage is great much better than the sticker indicated, comfortable and fun to drive."

love the car,,wish it had a bigger gas tank.

By on Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Cons: "needs a bigger gas tank"

"very nice gas saving car evening sporty has plenty of power wife loves it..but like i said i wish for a bigger gas tank."

Love My Rio!

By on Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Pros: "price, good gas mileage, easy to maintain,so cute!"

Cons: "small back seat, rear speakers"

"This is the first new vehicle I have ever owned and I am so happy I chose Kia. The Rio is small but comfortable and really great on gas! I use it for my daily commute and I have no complaints at all. This car is adorable and I get compliments all the time! Definitely would recommend!"

My first new car!

By on Saturday, September 14, 2013

Pros: "Great Price, Beautiful Interior and Exterior!"

Cons: "NONE!"

"I bought this car a couple of days ago and I've already had a chance to put a couple of hundred miles on it due to my commute to and from work. I didn't get the fancy package however. I got the basic Rio GDI Automatic. It has roll down windows, manual locks and no fancy bluetooth or GPS. It is simple, yet I love this car so much! I have been driving a 2002 Kia Spectra GSX for nearly 3 years prior and It lasted me a while, but it was time to actually get a new car. The guys at the dealership worked with me and I was out within 5 hours with a brand new car! So far I love it! It has pick up and go when I need it, cold A/C, good Gas Mileage and an AWESOME Stereo! I cannot express how much I love my Rio."

GAS Mileage

By on Saturday, September 14, 2013

Pros: "Drives well - has a solid feel and great pickup!"

Cons: "No arm rest. console, between two front seats"

"When purchased NEW in August 2012, it was advertised as "38 miles to the gallon". This was not an estimate, but a firm number. KIA realized their mistake and started issuing "rebates" because the car would never attain 38...30 to 32 was more like it. Since receiving a check from KIA after 3 months of driving, there have been no further statements made by KIA for additional compensation.(?) The car developed a "rattle" on the inside behind the instrument panel...no one seems to be able to locate it."

Great car for the price and looks good too !

By on Thursday, September 05, 2013

Pros: "Great looks , great gas , feels big inside"

Cons: "Seats can be unconfortable and engine is small"

"Had this car for a year and half and no one problem to date only changed the oil as sched intervals and my impressions are great car feels like bigger car inside and had some get up and go especially when shift in manual mode. Get lots of compliments on it and people as what it is (mine is red ) one last week thought I had brought the car from Europe. Only negative is in long trips 3-4 hours seats can be bit rough but if you get a chance grab one before they are all gone at 40 mpg and with gas sure to go up and up cann't beat it."

Great Small Car but get the Power Package!

By on Friday, May 24, 2013

Pros: "Good on gas, looks, lowest economy car in market"

Cons: "No bluetooth or power locks/windows on base model"

"I've had the car for less than a month and I love it. It looks nice, good gas mileage, good trunk space, cheap (out the door under $14,000). I got a great deal since I qualified for all Kia incentives. I find it fun to drive and it runs well (as an economy car would). It is an ECONOMY car. You can't expect it to run like a turbocharged 230 horsepower car. My only problem with the car is that the Rio LX 5DR Hatchback I bought did not have the power package. As a new mom, it is very uncomfortable to have to lock the doors and operate the windows and trunk manually. Pre-baby, this car would had been perfect for me, but in my current situation it was not the best choice. Also, with a car seat in the middle there is little space on the sides to change the baby. For these reasons I want to trade it in (my husband wants to keep it for himself). If it had the power package I would've driven the car until it reaches 200,000 miles!!!!"

I love this car!

By on Thursday, May 02, 2013

Pros: "Fantastic car!"

"I wanted a small car with big car amenities--this car fit the bill. I got a maxed out black one and I love it. It has Bluetooth, navigation, satellite radio, heated seats, back-up camera, sun roof, cool wheels & Hankook tires and much, much more! The price was so much cheaper than any other car with half of the same amenities. You will not be disappointed with this car. I get compliments every day."

My first brand new car.

By on Thursday, April 04, 2013

Pros: "great all round car"

Cons: "none that I have noticed"

"I love the car the gas mileage is great, if you look in the expert review they said they were able to get up to 37mpg I was able to sqeeze out just over 40mpg on a road trip from Virginia to Kentucky. The car is very comfortable and actually pretty roomy, when your 6'2" that helps. I can even comfortablly sit in the back seats. I own the SX Hatchback, and it really supprised me how fast it accelerates as well. What took the most getting used to was the brakes. The brakes are very touchy compared to any other car I have driven."

POOR SEATING

By on Monday, February 25, 2013

"Car does fine for me but BUT HATE the pasanger SEAT does not adjust up seems like riding in a hole."

My First Small Auto @ 64

By on Saturday, February 23, 2013

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "I haven't found one yet"

"I'm 64, newly widowed (08/28/2011) when I traded a paid for 2011 Ford Tranist XL w/ all opts on 11/2011 for my 2012 Kia Rio SX Hatchback! People thought I was nuts, but yes the other was paid for but to big for just me & it was a consitant reminder of my soulmate of 44 yrs now gone. I wasn't looking to really trade, but when I saw the Kia Rio just liked its look right away, then I sat in the seat, AWWW - started it up & drove it - WOW! It handles like a dream even on ice and snow! Easy to park and fun to drive! The stero / CD / Bluetooth / MP3 & USB plug - great easy to use while driving! Stering wheel has all controls for operating accessories, including hands free dailing & talking. I am not a skinny woman & the RioSX's seats are ROOMY and COMFORTABLE!! This is a great car and I can fold the passenger & back seats down and have a TON of room (even when I buy lumber)for some major shopping & not counting my grandchildren love it too! They've told me it is a "FUN COOL" car, not an "OLD FOLKS" car! The MPG is not bad at all either! I will defintely buy another!"

All around great for a first time car buyer!

By on Saturday, February 23, 2013

Pros: "Fun to Drive, Sporty, Convenient, and Comfy."

Cons: "Cheap Speakers and No Vanity Lights."

"This vehicle was my first new car purchase. I have owned the vehicle for approximately 10 months now. I love the convenience of the hatchback v.s. a sedan, allowing for the extra cargo room. The exterior is sporty, but doesn't have the added insurance price! Very maneuverable in tight circumstances. A comfortable ride to and from work. I average 34 MPG with an overall commute of 35 miles/day. With a somewhat active lifestyle, I can easily attach bike racks and luggage carriers. Only negative I have is the standard, low quality, stereo speakers. And the fact that the new Kumho tires it came with, are bad to pick up small rocks and stones. But after some wear and tear on the tires that seems to have gotten better and less rocks are being thrown!"

Good Value

By on Thursday, February 21, 2013

Pros: "Affordable, realiable, fun to drive"

Cons: "No cruise control, wonders at high speeds (70+)"

"I bought this car a little over a month ago. I went from a Dodge Journey with AWD to this little car. I no longer have a long drive for work, so I didn't see the need in having a big car like that anymore. My boyfriend had recently purchased a Kia Forte Koup and I love that car. I decided that I wanted a little car too. I test drove the Kia Rio 5 and fell in love. The ride is a little stiff, and I am still getting used to the resposive steering, but honestly I have very few complaints. My biggest issues are that I do not have cruise control (which is kind of my fault as I could have purchased an after market kit that they would have installed) and it tends to be a little squirrly on the interstate (although if I do drive the speed limit, it isn't so bad) I love this car. It is quick and peppy through town and it does suprisinly well in the snow, which in Vermont is super important. The icing on the cake was how super helpful and friendly the dealership staff are where I bought it. I am excited to really start putting the miles on this car."

So far so good

By on Sunday, February 10, 2013

I own this car

Pros: "great price and warranty, looks great."

Cons: "not as good mpg as expected"

my little Rio

"I traded in my 09 Subaru legacy for this car. I changed jobs and didn't need the reliability of the Subaru in bad weather any longer.My Subi was an amazing car but since I work literally around the corner from my house now, I decided to try a smaller car that got better gas mileage. I read the reviews and decided to go with the Kia Rio. I love the looks of it, it handles pretty well, but I am use the very agile Legacy so it doesn't quit top that. So far I'm only getting 30 miles to the gallon but hope that improves. I pay less a month for this car and get better gas mileage so I'm happy so far. The warranty gives a great since of security. My daughter has a Scion IQ, I enjoy driving my little Rio much better."

my little Rio

Not what we expected

By on Friday, February 08, 2013

Cons: "It's has a low safety rating, i"

"This car is not what we expected. The car doesn't excellent the way it should, they lied to us about the car being good on gas. The driver seats lets up, but the passenger seat doesn't, so you look like a little old person sitting there. It drives slow. It seems to be poorly put together, the miles don't seem to be accurate ."

This car is awful

By on Wednesday, February 06, 2013

"I bought a brand new Kia Rio LX with the ECO package and it is awful. I have had it for three months and I have taken it in four times. I had car dealerships. I never go unless it is absolutely necessary. Previously I owned a 2008 and 2011 Toyota Yaris with no problems. I regret my trading decision. The bells in whistles don't work. My car stalls at stop lights and has to be turned off and restarted. The service department is no help. I want my old car back."

Don't understand all the high consumer reviews

By on Tuesday, January 08, 2013

I don't own this car

Pros: "Great cornering ability"

Cons: "Noisy and harsh ride, noisy unrefined engine."

"I tried this car out as a rental with 25,000 miles on it. The car handles great but has a lot of other qualities I do not like. The engine has plenty of power but is kind of noisy and not very refined. At idle I could hear a knocking sound like preignition knock or a loose valve. Ride is somewhat harsh and noisy. My Honda Civic is in a totally different league for a little more money. For $1500 to $2000 more you get a much smoother, quieter ride, more interior space, more cargo space, a smooth, quiet engine, a more refined experience over-all, and higher gas mileage. The only thing this car has on the Honda is it's tight cornering ability."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Kia Rio near Honolulu. See local deals