2012 Kia Rio

7.7

Based on 42 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

7.6/10
    7.5/10
    7.5/10

Great Car for someone needed cheap transport

By on Thursday, March 05, 2015

Pros: "Cheap and okay on gas"

Cons: "Cheap and Cheap and Cheap"

"I have owned this car for almost two years now, and have had put it through some things a car like this should never be through. Driving through a muddy field not realizing the pumpkin patch was all dirt and it rained the previous night. Driving it hard on a track, and driving it through miles upon miles of gravel roads. For how much this car was bought for brand new, I have to say it's not a bad car, however it's not a great car either. Almost every interior panel rattles, even on the smoothest of roads. Lacks big time in the power department. It does how ever have a good feeling steering wise brakes are sharp and it does okay in the corners. To sum up if you need a cheap new car then go for it, just don't have high expectations. If you can afford to go to a better quality brand then go for it by all means."

Just did a test drive

By on Sunday, September 09, 2012

I want this car

"Just finished test driving this car WOW was I surprised.It did not feel like a small car at all I`m 6ft. 200lbs. I had all the room I needed to drive.Steering was very responsive and when I ran over a few pot holes in the street it handled them more like a larger car.On the same day I test drove the KIA I also test drove a Ford Fiesta and a Ford Focus.I was leaning towards Ford because hey I`m an American.After driving them I changed my opinion I do not like the feel of the transmission at all it felt like it was never truly in gear almost like it was slipping.I realize this is just how it was designed but I don`t care for it.I also did not like the steering response to me it felt like it was one step behind I felt that it had to think about turning.So KIA is the way I`m going"

good commuter car

By on Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Pros: "fantastic fuel economy and fun to drive"

Cons: "slow to accelerate, no power locks/windows"

"I have really enjoyed my Rio so far. I think I probably should have opted for the power pack because there is no way to unlock the back doors from the outside without reaching around the door frame to unlock the door from the inside. Other than that it has been great. The fuel economy with Eco boost on is around 34 mpg in the city and I have gotten as high as 43.3 mpg on the highway. Usual highway mpg is around 38 or 39 mpg. Without the eco boost on, it is only 30-36 mpg. It is a little slow to pick up speed, unless you remember to move the shifter to the left and use the manual shift option and downshift one gear. It will downshift for you if you forget, but it won't upshift on it's own in manual mode. You definitely want to scotchguard the seat fabric or get seat covers. The fabric they use stains easily. If I trade mine it, it will probably be the same car in tropical red with black/tan interior and the power pack."

KIA Killed It

By on Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Pros: "Price, Sunroof, Bluetooth, Fun to drive"

Cons: "I'd like my hatch to open automatically"

"I'll be completely honest. I bought this car after doing a lot of research, test drives, and having a bottle of merlot on President's Day weekend. For the record, the test drives and wine happened on different days. I couldn't be more pleased at what I got for my money. I decided to go big or go home. I got the top model with the sunroof, fancy wheels, navigation, etc. If I was going back to having a car payment, I wanted to make it count. I can honestly say, KIA came in at the best price, and gives me SO MUCH for my money. I don't need to use my car for commuting (thanks MTBA), but I have to park in Southie (Boston). This car can fit anywhere. Also, it's terrifc on weekend trips. I get just over 40mpg with it. There is a ton of room, and I love the hatchback for pets, groceries, and boxes of wine. The durability of the wheels make me a little nervous sometimes. I tend to go out of my way to avoid potholes, but I think I am just getting used to the thinner tires. That's more my problem than KIA's. Also, every time I brush a curb I spout profanity because I know I just scraped my chrome. I'm a picky girl. I will drive this car into the ground."

If you can buy this car get it !

By on Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Pros: "Looks, gas milage , Euro style"

Cons: "Seats"

"Have had my red EX for 2 1/2 years and can say it is great , ride good ,quite inside , European looks (like Seat Leon) and the fact that is is 97% recyclable is also a plus for the environment. Get many people ask me if brought this back from Europe and love the car. Have had to do nothing but change the oil , air filter and cabin filter on it better record that my last Mazda 3 only things to note are gas mileage is less than advertised (but Kia has program to reimburse owners for the life of the car the difference in cash) and the seats on long hauls bit uncomfortable ) but they are made from caster beans so price I pay for the fact they can be recycled) recommend highly."

Love this car!

By on Friday, August 17, 2012

Pros: "Design, reliability, fuel economy"

Cons: "Seat comfort, acceleration"

"I drive a 4 door Kia Rio LX, and I can't say enough good things about this car. I'm so pleased with it! I have a long daily commute, and this car has made the hour long drive much more enjoyable! I am pleased with the gas mileage- I get about 28 in the city (I live in a very mountainous region) and 35+ on the highway. I do drive the car pretty hard, which is why my mileage is a bit lower than others, even with the ECO. It came with a lot of standard features, and the only upgrade I added was the power package. The car has great visibility- I have very few blind spots. The Rio also handles really well. And you can literally park it anywhere! Despite the good aspects of this vehicle, there are a few things I'd change. The seats aren't super comfortable. They aren't UNconfortable, but they aren't the greatest. I think this is because they have built-in airbags, so I guess safety is the trade off. I wish it had a little more torque. Sometimes I have to floor it to get on the interstate. Once the speed is up, it has no problem maintaining, but it takes a while to accelerate. Overall this is an excellent vehicle for a single person looking for efficient, reliable transportation that doesn't look bad!"

Boy did I get lucky

By on Monday, November 26, 2012

Pros: "Very functional, high tech, fun, with personality"

Cons: "Visibility, can't see the extents of the car"

"I have a 2013 red Rio SX M/T (for Manual Transmission). One out of supposedly 500 cars for a marketing test of a high level Compact Hatchback with manual 6-Speed. The fact that the "regular" Rio SX is only available with automatic would have been a deal breaker for me. The drivetrain is amazing. Very smooth with great low end torque and flawless clutch action. The car is very quiet on the inside and handling is very compliant despite the standard 205/45 17" wheels which make it handle like running on rails. The level of electronic and advanced equipment of the "Power Package (without sun roof & heated leather seats in this particular version)" can be intimidating, but it all makes sense. It is designed for good ergonomics and it is very functional. With 1,500 miles it is obviously too early to assess long-term reliability. I must say, however, that appearance and initial quality at delivery were flawless. Yes, I love to drive with a mission. My trade-in was a low mileage VW Golf Turbo. I love this car. One caveat: Due to extreme, integrated exterior and steeply angled, high belt-line, visibility and maneuverability take some getting used to. No indication of where the car ends and where the wheels are, when it comes to parking and pin-point driving."

My first new car!

By on Saturday, September 14, 2013

Pros: "Great Price, Beautiful Interior and Exterior!"

Cons: "NONE!"

"I bought this car a couple of days ago and I've already had a chance to put a couple of hundred miles on it due to my commute to and from work. I didn't get the fancy package however. I got the basic Rio GDI Automatic. It has roll down windows, manual locks and no fancy bluetooth or GPS. It is simple, yet I love this car so much! I have been driving a 2002 Kia Spectra GSX for nearly 3 years prior and It lasted me a while, but it was time to actually get a new car. The guys at the dealership worked with me and I was out within 5 hours with a brand new car! So far I love it! It has pick up and go when I need it, cold A/C, good Gas Mileage and an AWESOME Stereo! I cannot express how much I love my Rio."

GAS Mileage

By on Saturday, September 14, 2013

Pros: "Drives well - has a solid feel and great pickup!"

Cons: "No arm rest. console, between two front seats"

"When purchased NEW in August 2012, it was advertised as "38 miles to the gallon". This was not an estimate, but a firm number. KIA realized their mistake and started issuing "rebates" because the car would never attain 38...30 to 32 was more like it. Since receiving a check from KIA after 3 months of driving, there have been no further statements made by KIA for additional compensation.(?) The car developed a "rattle" on the inside behind the instrument panel...no one seems to be able to locate it."

My First Small Auto @ 64

By on Saturday, February 23, 2013

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "I haven't found one yet"

"I'm 64, newly widowed (08/28/2011) when I traded a paid for 2011 Ford Tranist XL w/ all opts on 11/2011 for my 2012 Kia Rio SX Hatchback! People thought I was nuts, but yes the other was paid for but to big for just me & it was a consitant reminder of my soulmate of 44 yrs now gone. I wasn't looking to really trade, but when I saw the Kia Rio just liked its look right away, then I sat in the seat, AWWW - started it up & drove it - WOW! It handles like a dream even on ice and snow! Easy to park and fun to drive! The stero / CD / Bluetooth / MP3 & USB plug - great easy to use while driving! Stering wheel has all controls for operating accessories, including hands free dailing & talking. I am not a skinny woman & the RioSX's seats are ROOMY and COMFORTABLE!! This is a great car and I can fold the passenger & back seats down and have a TON of room (even when I buy lumber)for some major shopping & not counting my grandchildren love it too! They've told me it is a "FUN COOL" car, not an "OLD FOLKS" car! The MPG is not bad at all either! I will defintely buy another!"

All around great for a first time car buyer!

By on Saturday, February 23, 2013

Pros: "Fun to Drive, Sporty, Convenient, and Comfy."

Cons: "Cheap Speakers and No Vanity Lights."

"This vehicle was my first new car purchase. I have owned the vehicle for approximately 10 months now. I love the convenience of the hatchback v.s. a sedan, allowing for the extra cargo room. The exterior is sporty, but doesn't have the added insurance price! Very maneuverable in tight circumstances. A comfortable ride to and from work. I average 34 MPG with an overall commute of 35 miles/day. With a somewhat active lifestyle, I can easily attach bike racks and luggage carriers. Only negative I have is the standard, low quality, stereo speakers. And the fact that the new Kumho tires it came with, are bad to pick up small rocks and stones. But after some wear and tear on the tires that seems to have gotten better and less rocks are being thrown!"

great for driving to work or school

By on Thursday, January 30, 2014

Pros: "Excellent gas mileage!"

Cons: "Front passenger seat too low, can't raise"

"A great car for the price. Love the loaded premium package that turns it into a luxury vehicle. Good looking inside and out. Wish it had a real spare tire instead of a can of sealant and a front passenger seat that could be raised."

Love My Rio!

By on Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Pros: "price, good gas mileage, easy to maintain,so cute!"

Cons: "small back seat, rear speakers"

"This is the first new vehicle I have ever owned and I am so happy I chose Kia. The Rio is small but comfortable and really great on gas! I use it for my daily commute and I have no complaints at all. This car is adorable and I get compliments all the time! Definitely would recommend!"

pretty good car

By on Friday, March 21, 2014

Pros: "good price, reliable"

Cons: "blind spots, road noise"

"the only 2 things I don't love about it are the fact that it has so many blind spots and the road noise. Other than that is great! I like it!"

My first brand new car.

By on Thursday, April 04, 2013

Pros: "great all round car"

Cons: "none that I have noticed"

"I love the car the gas mileage is great, if you look in the expert review they said they were able to get up to 37mpg I was able to sqeeze out just over 40mpg on a road trip from Virginia to Kentucky. The car is very comfortable and actually pretty roomy, when your 6'2" that helps. I can even comfortablly sit in the back seats. I own the SX Hatchback, and it really supprised me how fast it accelerates as well. What took the most getting used to was the brakes. The brakes are very touchy compared to any other car I have driven."

I love this car!

By on Thursday, May 02, 2013

Pros: "Fantastic car!"

"I wanted a small car with big car amenities--this car fit the bill. I got a maxed out black one and I love it. It has Bluetooth, navigation, satellite radio, heated seats, back-up camera, sun roof, cool wheels & Hankook tires and much, much more! The price was so much cheaper than any other car with half of the same amenities. You will not be disappointed with this car. I get compliments every day."

Excellent value and professional look

By on Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Pros: "Quick, good on gas on the highway, up to 38 mpg"

Cons: "Gas economy in the city about 27"

"This is a fantastic car, never had any issues, Maintenance is done by the dealership"

So far so good

By on Sunday, February 10, 2013

I own this car

Pros: "great price and warranty, looks great."

Cons: "not as good mpg as expected"

my little Rio

"I traded in my 09 Subaru legacy for this car. I changed jobs and didn't need the reliability of the Subaru in bad weather any longer.My Subi was an amazing car but since I work literally around the corner from my house now, I decided to try a smaller car that got better gas mileage. I read the reviews and decided to go with the Kia Rio. I love the looks of it, it handles pretty well, but I am use the very agile Legacy so it doesn't quit top that. So far I'm only getting 30 miles to the gallon but hope that improves. I pay less a month for this car and get better gas mileage so I'm happy so far. The warranty gives a great since of security. My daughter has a Scion IQ, I enjoy driving my little Rio much better."

my little Rio

Great starter car, excellent gas mileage

By on Sunday, October 05, 2014

Pros: "Mileage, compact size for easy city parking"

Cons: "No spare tire"

"I bought my 2012 EX with about a month of research after totaling my Scion. By far the quickest and easiest decision I made was to purchase this car. Excellent mileage, great interior, a lot of room for packing the car with the fold down seats, extremely reliable and drives great in all types of weather. I trusted my Scion to keep me safe, which it did, and feel the same in the Rio. Great starter car for a young 20 yr old to get from point a to point b. Only complaint is having a fix a flat instead of a spare tire (dealer told us after we purchased). I would recommend this car for a student commuter, young family, adult who commutes far daily. Overall an excellent car!"

Excellent automobile, super gas mileage

By on Monday, January 13, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, economical"

Cons: "none that I can think of"

"I purchased this car in 2012 for daily travel of 50 to 100 miles a day. The mileage is great much better than the sticker indicated, comfortable and fun to drive."

Good Value

By on Thursday, February 21, 2013

Pros: "Affordable, realiable, fun to drive"

Cons: "No cruise control, wonders at high speeds (70+)"

"I bought this car a little over a month ago. I went from a Dodge Journey with AWD to this little car. I no longer have a long drive for work, so I didn't see the need in having a big car like that anymore. My boyfriend had recently purchased a Kia Forte Koup and I love that car. I decided that I wanted a little car too. I test drove the Kia Rio 5 and fell in love. The ride is a little stiff, and I am still getting used to the resposive steering, but honestly I have very few complaints. My biggest issues are that I do not have cruise control (which is kind of my fault as I could have purchased an after market kit that they would have installed) and it tends to be a little squirrly on the interstate (although if I do drive the speed limit, it isn't so bad) I love this car. It is quick and peppy through town and it does suprisinly well in the snow, which in Vermont is super important. The icing on the cake was how super helpful and friendly the dealership staff are where I bought it. I am excited to really start putting the miles on this car."

This car is awful

By on Wednesday, February 06, 2013

"I bought a brand new Kia Rio LX with the ECO package and it is awful. I have had it for three months and I have taken it in four times. I had car dealerships. I never go unless it is absolutely necessary. Previously I owned a 2008 and 2011 Toyota Yaris with no problems. I regret my trading decision. The bells in whistles don't work. My car stalls at stop lights and has to be turned off and restarted. The service department is no help. I want my old car back."

Great value!

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2014

"Pros: Fuel economy Reliability drives best at highway speeds excellent warranty Best bang for the buck. Comes with blue tooth, real rims (I can actaually see my brakes!) turn signal mirrors, keyless entry, built in hard drive for music, leather wrapped steering wheel, soft touch plastic, fold down seats, and more. cheap to maintian cons: drivers arm rest paint is flaking off after only 10mos 20,000mi but is getting replaced thanks to the great warranty. Makes a strange noise sometimes (sounds like exhuast shield?) very faint, not enough to bother me. not the best handling car in the world. driver and car dont feel connected. (probably due to the electiric steering in part) Overall if I had it to do all over again I probably would have gone with a used car vs a new one however I am very please with the 2013 kia rio EX"

Very nice car

By on Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Pros: "gas mileage, price"

Cons: "bit bumpy of a ride at high speeds"

"Glad I bought this car. Fairly inexpensive, but looks stylish enough. Great gas mileage, so excellent commuter car. Small size helps the parking situation in Philadelphia, but hatch style still affords you a ton for moving space. Great features for a car this price. Would highly recommend for city resident."

loses power when the heat or air is on.

By on Monday, April 07, 2014

Pros: "handles great"

Cons: "no power windows or locks and no arm rest"

"Not bad for a manual transmission that will not roll back on a hill. Great for drivers who are learning to drive a manual transmission for the first time. Put an aftermarket intake on it and get 44.2mpg on the highway going 70mph. only costs around $30 to fill up when almost on empty."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Kia Rio near Honolulu. See local deals