2011 Kia Rio

8.1

Based on 190 Ratings for the 2006 - 2012 models.

My first brand new car

By on Sunday, August 07, 2011

Pros: "fuel efficiency, handling, cabin room"

Cons: "noise, interior design"

"I bought a '09 Rio Base Sedan and still enjoy driving it. When compared to other small sedans and hatchbacks this car definitely holds par. The positives include the fuel efficiency, which can range from 30 to even 40 mpg depending on driving style and type. The handling is fairly sporty and even without power steering, the car is a joy to drive. The 110 hp and light weight really helps with acceleration and you don't feel like you are driving an underpowered economic car. The cabin is very roomy, especially compared to other compacts. The backseat has ample headroom, I have never heard of anyone complaining about hitting their heads, whereas in the ford focus I (5'11") had to duck to ride in the backseat. Legroom is also fine for kids or smaller adults, but not comfortable on long rides for taller adults. Some of the negatives include road noise and the cheap feeling interior. When driving on the highway talking on a phone (which admittedly you shouldn't do anyways) is difficult and the engine noise is quite loud. The interior is made of very hard plastic and holds grease after handling. Also, when I tried to clean the inside using a wax product, the dashboard ended up looking even worse than before. It seems like the plastic doesn't accept that type of cleaning well. Or im doing it wrong! Overall this has been a great car that has a great buy that I would recommend to anyone in the market."

great first car. some very minor issues.

By on Saturday, March 17, 2012

Pros: "gas mileage, low initial cost, fun to drive,safety"

Cons: "not family car, timing belt, Kia trans fluid only"

"My wife and I love this car, but we have just had our second child and need more room. pros: gas mileage, low initial cost, fun to drive, safety cons:1. not a family car, car seats take up alot of space. 2. timing belt, moderately expensive every 60k miles 3. proprietary transmission fluid. kia/hyundai brand SPIII fluid only. there are fluids that claim to meet specs, but don't use them. you will burn the transmission out. I am a former Kia technician, I know what I am talking about."

Best Vehicle Ever!

By on Monday, January 07, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive!"

Cons: "none!!!"

"I have never owned a better quality vehicle, this is the best bang for your buck car still available!! I have owned many cars and this one is the best all around, comfortable, quality, reliable great gas mileage car, so much room for a little car lol. I will not be selling this vehicle anytime soon as I have heard people putting 250,000 miles before having any problems at all with this car!! Thanks Kia for doing something right for once!!"

2003 kia rio

By on Saturday, September 12, 2009

"this is our second kia,we have had it for 5 years and its never brokedown or been in the shop,it has 70000 miles on it."

I will buy this car again

By on Monday, August 27, 2012

Pros: "price, gas mileage, spacious, mechanically sound"

"This has got to be the best car for the money I have owned. In over 100,000 miles, the only 2 problems I've had have been having to replace the horn (~$100) and replacing the windshield wiper rotator (I think it was around $100-150). I still get around 29 mpg. The car is totally roomy for being so small (Rio5, not Rio). I can fit two bicycles INSIDE along with a cooler, a friend and camping equipment for 3 days. At one point I took the back seats out and put in a bed and two people (both 5/4") could sleep comfortably. My last car was a Mitsubishi Eclipse, so at first my Rio felt slow, but now I would say it's pretty zippy (manual transmission) and goes 80 mph without feeling stressed. I love that it doesn't let you leave your headlights on. At first I did not like how upright the sitting position is, as my Eclipse was much more reclined, but I got used to it. And I also don't like the ding-dong-ding-dong that says your door is open, or your seatbelt isn't fastened, so I removed that fuse. Other than that, I love this car and plan on buying the same one again when/if this one dies."

Bought NEW, just over 300miles

By on Saturday, April 21, 2012

Pros: "Wish I could buy 2, mpg, leg room in front seats,"

Cons: "Head rests lean too much forward"

"I'm 6'3" and leg room is my main priority. It's great, wish I had known about the telescoping steering wheel on the EX, but my wife is the main driver so it's no problem. Forte's leg room was actually worse. Still too new for true reliability comments, but so far am seeing around 27mpg in town, 40mpg on freeway with ECO on and light pedal. Beats both my 94 Camry and Honda on mpg. I will eventually do something about the head rests, either replace them or get the shafts reformed as they lean forward more than desired. New Car for under $15k, you really shouldn't expect much, at this point it seems to be the best bang for the buck.USB port works great for audio. Stiff suspension,which I like, good braking, it's a 1.6L and performance is just fine. People that complain about the plastics should spend another $10k on a car."

Great Economical Little Car

By on Monday, February 20, 2012

Pros: "inexpensive, fun, sporty, reliable, great mpg"

"Very reliable, I've had this car for 2 years now and have had zero problems with it. Everything works and it drives great, excellent on gas mileage and comfy for long road trips. The interior looks very nice for this price range of cars, sporty and fun plus it doesn't show dirt and everyday wear and tear. The hatchback is super convenient and makes getting things in and out super easy. The backseat lays down flat and I've been able to fit and incredible amount of stuff back there whether I'm going camping or moving a dining table and 4 chairs there is always enough room! Love this little car!"

Great Value, Great Car, 150,000 miles!!

By on Sunday, March 22, 2009

"We own a 2006 Rio5 SX with an automatic. This car has been used as a company car since day one. It only 26 months old but it has over 150,000 miles on it. We have had zero problems. We have kept up on all the maintenance and replaced the timing belts on time. But for having over 150,000 miles it still looks and runs like a brand new car. We plan to run this car for at least another 50,000 miles then buy another one."

Great value for the price

By on Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Pros: "Inside is amazing"

Cons: "Very popular hard to find fully loaded."

"I have only had the car for a few weeks, but I love it. I wanted the Honda Fit, but could not get leather or heated seats in that car. I am getting about 36 miles per gallon city. I have yet to test it fully on the highway. I was worried the car would blown all over the highway like my sister's Echo but it did great. I love this car and it cost way less fully loaded then any car in its class and it was worth it."

By on Saturday, August 30, 2008

"great little car - i ve owned this one for over 6 months and logged 21k on it gas milage is terrific at 40 mpg hwy !! the car has to go up a mountain 3 days a week and has plenty of pep great everyday cummuter but not so comfortable on longer trips i shopped price all the way and did ok on buying this car"

excellent for price

By on Friday, August 24, 2007

"I bought this brand new for my son. Took it over later on and did not get the expected gas milage until about 12k miles. So, until the engine is broke in, you won't see the gas milage. After break in, have been getting 34 average for city/hwy travel at 20/80 ratio."

Great Commuter Car

By on Sunday, February 12, 2012

Pros: "price, mileage, looks"

Cons: "size"

"For the price and quality compared with other vehicles from the same year and size, this car is dependable, sporty, roomy (based on size), refined and very easy to drive. If I had more than a 40 mile, one hour commute one way then I would recommend a larger car (I am 6'3")."

kia rio5 sx

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Pros: "great value , trunk space (hatch) aux input, gas"

Cons: "cheaper interior"

"I've been driving my rio5 for the last 3 1/2 yrs. The first 3 months it needed the engine replaced. It was using too much oil between changes and creating knocking. That was fixed with warranty. Since its been driving great. Great trunk space. I fit a 50 in LCD tv in the box in it.(i had to drive with the seat all the way forward) small interior, one arm rest on driver seat. Passenger tendy to use it as well. great price, near hybrid gas mileage."

The little family car

By on Monday, December 19, 2011

Pros: "Warranty, smooth motor steering, styling, brakes"

Cons: "Interior plastic, auto trans, handling"

"I purchased my LX sedan this summer. It's a step up from their base model, but has no power accessories or cruise control. I have always thought this generation of the Rio was a handsome car with a European flavour to its styling. From its rounded roofline to more angular body, it seems to voice a cheery hello when approached, yet is not so silly-looking as to be dismissed as another "beer can on wheels". Inside, things are slightly more grim. Attractively styled, the materials are on the cheaper side, even on the door handle, a frequent touch point. Said plastics are also easily scratched. Fit, however, is pretty good, with no excessive or uneven gaps. There are also thus far no squeaks, rattles, or other indications of loosening trim. Gauges are concise, aesthetically pleasing, and easy to read, but Kia omitted even an engine temperature light, so it's more than a bit lacking in this department. One oddity is that the gauge cluster seems to be mounted at an angle vs. the steering wheel and column, so that it looks crooked and poorly assembled, even though from what I can tell this is exactly how it is designed to fit. One bonus is the separete indicator light to check a loose fuel cap - a nice touch compared to illuminating the check engine light for this common occurrence. Moreover, the few controls present in this car are laid out for easy use, and the switchgear works with convincing quality. The standard satellite radio is also a great feature. Seats are average though slightly lacking in support for drives over an hour, but are upholstered in a comely fabric mimicked on the thin-but-concise door panels. Visibility is excellent all around. Roomwise, it is adequate, no more and no less. The trunk is large for its class and is well laid-out to make maximum use of its volume, plus split-folding seats - not always present in this class of car - add yet more versatility. All that is well and good, but how does it drive? This is another mixed bag. It rides firmly, bordering on downright stiff, and a full load of passengers and luggage does little to alleviate this. Handling should therefore be superb, and while it exhibits a measure of exuberance in normal maneuvers, the tail gets unsettled in bumpy corners or when applying mid-corner braking. Panic stops are dead straight with good ABS feedback and no drama whatsoever. The steering is nicely weighted and has a seductively smooth action to it. It also exhibits high-speed and crosswind stability which belies its low curb weight and tallish profile. Kia's 1.6l twin cam four with variable valve timing is one of the smoother fours I have driven, and is a willing partner with the manual transmission. It also has a pleasingly businesslike sound from inside the cabin not unlike that of some VW's, contrasted with the more whiny tone of many four-cylinder cars. Pair this motor with Kia's 4-speed autmoatic, however, and there's a lot to be desired. It saps the life out of the little engine, and the car becomes downright pokey. It feels as though it crashes into second gear, but other shifts are smooth. The gear ratios are pleasingly tallish and suitable for the car. Also much to my liking, it is relatively easy to keep the torque converter locked up for maximum fuel economy. Speaking of fuel economy, though my motor is not yet fully broken in, it has been disappointing, averaging in the high 20's and stuck in the low 30's in interstate driving even when keeping the speed down to 60mph - for comparison, this is down about 5-10mpg from my former subcompact. One note: there have been no mechanical problems, but just shy of 7000 miles, one of the taillight assemblies apparently had a compromised seal and allowed condensation to form inside the lens. The service manager at my local dealer is a very pleasant individual and has replaced it under warranty, no questions asked. Kia's warranty is one of the best (read: longest) in the business, and adds significantly to the car's value quotient. Being the last year of the bodystyle, most of the major bugs should have been ironed out by now as well. Overall, though it has its quirks, one has to remember this is on the bottom rung of the automotive ladder, and viewed as such, it delivers good value and a satisfying day-to-day competence. There may be more enticing vehicles out there, but buyers' remorse will not be a side effect of purchasing this vehicle."

Big Guy, Little Car

By on Thursday, January 14, 2010

"I have owned my 2007 Rio for a year now. I commute 60 miles each way to work, 5 days a week. I am 6 feet tall and weigh over 300 lbs. I find this car comfortable, and it gets great gas mileage. (usually 33 mph) It will never win a race, but handles 80 mph quite well."

Not worth it

By on Friday, February 20, 2009

"I have had nothing but problems with this car. I have been back and forth with Kia on my starting issues and get told they cannot find anything wrong with it Now its out of warranty now they find the issue and will not cover it"

I will never buy anything but KIA

By on Friday, January 30, 2009

"I got my KIA in 2006. It is the best vehicle I have ever driven. It's always been reliable transportation, and I haven't had one minute of worry about it. I will continue to drive KIA's."

i have had this 2006 rio for 6 years, very happy

By on Monday, January 13, 2014

Pros: "cheap, dependable, quiet for a cheap compact"

Cons: "engine high rpms with 5 speed"

"purchased this used with 25k miles. it now has over 100k. i have the le model w/5speed and air. thats about all the options it has. it runs great, gets good mpg 28-33. i have had a few minor issues but nothing i wouldn't expect. at 90k front end was eating tires quickly, needed new ball joints to fix problem. (easiest ball joints i ever replaced on a car) starter went out at 95k (not so easy to get to). thats about all the work its needed besides brake pads. still runs great, not a rattle bucket, drives pretty quiet and smooth for the kind of car it is. i have been very happy with this car. one negitive is the engine high rpms on the hwy with the 5 speed. i put on a little taller tires and it helped."

decent

By on Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Pros: "great gas mileage, fun to drive."

Cons: "high winds on interstate blow car around a bit."

"i like this car. it gets you where you need to go for cheap. great gas mileage. i once got 57 mpg going between 75 and 85(it was hilly ha). i've noticed accelerating around 50pmh the car really slows down but after 55 it speeds back up. only problems i've had was the horn went out twice and the seat air bag went out and the front passenger door lock actuator went out recently. great for weaving in and out of traffic due to its small size. nice suspension/handling. cant wait to see how many miles i can put on it."

Beats the Aveo, Fiesta, and Sentra

By on Thursday, July 28, 2011

Pros: "MPG, Handling, AC, sound system"

Cons: "Accelertion, rear crash test, high speed shifting"

"The car gets a combined 28 MPG with my foot in the pedal constantly. The vehicle is a little slow to accelerate however; common aftermarket modifications solve this problem. Wider tires in the rear really improve already good handling but keep an eye on the front tire wear. My washer fluid motor had to be replaced but that is the only problem I have had in 12000 miles. Also, review the rear crash test rating and consider placing backseat passengers in the center seat. Finally, the transmission jerks when quickly accelerating up hill at interstate speeds."

not worth it at all

By on Thursday, February 11, 2010

"i bought it brand new and ever since then i have had problems the wheel barring went out befor 40k miles the timming belt went at 50k problem with sensors its just been a big waste of time."

Love it!

By on Wednesday, January 07, 2009

"Bought the LX model brand new in 2006 and haven't had a single problem with it! Just recently moved to the mountains where there is lots of dirt and dust and snow and ice (compared to the city) and it has held up quite nicely! Great little car (it's in the shop right now after a hit & run accident... poor Rio!) and would definitely buy again and recommend to a friend."

First NEW Car

By on Sunday, October 26, 2008

"My husband and I just bought our NEW 2008 Kia Rio LX in October 2008 and we are pretty happy with it. We got a great deal of $12,081 before taxes and fees. Partly because the 2009 Kia's are about to be released and they want to move the current stock out. PROS: Affordable, great MPG, large trunk space & that can get larger with fold down seats, maneuverability, safety, great 5 year/60k warranty bumper to bumper except things that are made to wear such as break pads or belts, Also has 10yr/100k warranty, comfortable front seats, when we have kids the backseat is great in terms of easy clean fabric and multiple carseat anchors, and it looks cute and stylish. CONS: Because so cheap and cheerful we don't have power locks/windows or cruise control. This, in my mind, is a small inconvenience that we can work around easily. The back seat is small in terms of leg room and isn't nearly as comfortable as the front seat. I have heard the resell value would not stand up to say a Honda but if you plan to keep the car for 3-5years there shouldn't be a problem. Overall this is a great car that is cheap and cheerful and a perfect starter car for a new and growing family."

this is a very good little car

By on Friday, February 28, 2014

Pros: "reliable and very good fuel economy"

Cons: "really nothing"

"Great car!I have driven this car daily for 4 years and can honestly say that this car has never wanted anything except for coil packs (3) and power steering belts (2). Very good powerfor daily driving with exellent handling characteristics. The pros are simple very reliable and very good car with a nice ammount of space. The cons are if you drive in either a city or a mountainous area the AC needs to off or turned down"

Great Buy!

By on Friday, June 28, 2013

Pros: "Good value for the money, reliable."

Cons: "Ride could be smoother, not super roomy."

"I love my little Kia Rio. I was strapped for cash and picked it up from a rental company with 40,000 miles. It now has 110,000 and runs great. Recently had an expensive repair as the timing belt broke, but it was my own fault as I didn't realize it needed to be replaced at a certain mileage. Super gas mileage, very easy to maneuver. I am likely to replace this Rio with a new one at some point. This one still runs great so I have no immediate plans to trade in, but it's a great buy for the price."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Kia Rio near Honolulu. See local deals