2007 Kia Rio

8.1

Based on 197 Ratings for the 2006 - 2011 models.

My first brand new car

By on Sunday, August 7, 2011

Pros: "fuel efficiency, handling, cabin room"

Cons: "noise, interior design"

"I bought a '09 Rio Base Sedan and still enjoy driving it. When compared to other small sedans and hatchbacks this car definitely holds par. The positives include the fuel efficiency, which can range from 30 to even 40 mpg depending on driving style and type. The handling is fairly sporty and even without power steering, the car is a joy to drive. The 110 hp and light weight really helps with acceleration and you don't feel like you are driving an underpowered economic car. The cabin is very roomy, especially compared to other compacts. The backseat has ample headroom, I have never heard of anyone complaining about hitting their heads, whereas in the ford focus I (5'11") had to duck to ride in the backseat. Legroom is also fine for kids or smaller adults, but not comfortable on long rides for taller adults. Some of the negatives include road noise and the cheap feeling interior. When driving on the highway talking on a phone (which admittedly you shouldn't do anyways) is difficult and the engine noise is quite loud. The interior is made of very hard plastic and holds grease after handling. Also, when I tried to clean the inside using a wax product, the dashboard ended up looking even worse than before. It seems like the plastic doesn't accept that type of cleaning well. Or im doing it wrong! Overall this has been a great car that has a great buy that I would recommend to anyone in the market."

2003 kia rio

By on Saturday, September 12, 2009

"this is our second kia,we have had it for 5 years and its never brokedown or been in the shop,it has 70000 miles on it."

Great Value, Great Car, 150,000 miles!!

By on Sunday, March 22, 2009

"We own a 2006 Rio5 SX with an automatic. This car has been used as a company car since day one. It only 26 months old but it has over 150,000 miles on it. We have had zero problems. We have kept up on all the maintenance and replaced the timing belts on time. But for having over 150,000 miles it still looks and runs like a brand new car. We plan to run this car for at least another 50,000 miles then buy another one."

Great value for the price

By on Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Pros: "Inside is amazing"

Cons: "Very popular hard to find fully loaded."

"I have only had the car for a few weeks, but I love it. I wanted the Honda Fit, but could not get leather or heated seats in that car. I am getting about 36 miles per gallon city. I have yet to test it fully on the highway. I was worried the car would blown all over the highway like my sister's Echo but it did great. I love this car and it cost way less fully loaded then any car in its class and it was worth it."

excellent for price

By on Friday, August 24, 2007

"I bought this brand new for my son. Took it over later on and did not get the expected gas milage until about 12k miles. So, until the engine is broke in, you won't see the gas milage. After break in, have been getting 34 average for city/hwy travel at 20/80 ratio."

Great Commuter Car

By on Sunday, February 12, 2012

Pros: "price, mileage, looks"

Cons: "size"

"For the price and quality compared with other vehicles from the same year and size, this car is dependable, sporty, roomy (based on size), refined and very easy to drive. If I had more than a 40 mile, one hour commute one way then I would recommend a larger car (I am 6'3")."

kia rio5 sx

By on Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Pros: "great value , trunk space (hatch) aux input, gas"

Cons: "cheaper interior"

"I've been driving my rio5 for the last 3 1/2 yrs. The first 3 months it needed the engine replaced. It was using too much oil between changes and creating knocking. That was fixed with warranty. Since its been driving great. Great trunk space. I fit a 50 in LCD tv in the box in it.(i had to drive with the seat all the way forward) small interior, one arm rest on driver seat. Passenger tendy to use it as well. great price, near hybrid gas mileage."

The little family car

By on Monday, December 19, 2011

Pros: "Warranty, smooth motor steering, styling, brakes"

Cons: "Interior plastic, auto trans, handling"

"I purchased my LX sedan this summer. It's a step up from their base model, but has no power accessories or cruise control. I have always thought this generation of the Rio was a handsome car with a European flavour to its styling. From its rounded roofline to more angular body, it seems to voice a cheery hello when approached, yet is not so silly-looking as to be dismissed as another "beer can on wheels". Inside, things are slightly more grim. Attractively styled, the materials are on the cheaper side, even on the door handle, a frequent touch point. Said plastics are also easily scratched. Fit, however, is pretty good, with no excessive or uneven gaps. There are also thus far no squeaks, rattles, or other indications of loosening trim. Gauges are concise, aesthetically pleasing, and easy to read, but Kia omitted even an engine temperature light, so it's more than a bit lacking in this department. One oddity is that the gauge cluster seems to be mounted at an angle vs. the steering wheel and column, so that it looks crooked and poorly assembled, even though from what I can tell this is exactly how it is designed to fit. One bonus is the separete indicator light to check a loose fuel cap - a nice touch compared to illuminating the check engine light for this common occurrence. Moreover, the few controls present in this car are laid out for easy use, and the switchgear works with convincing quality. The standard satellite radio is also a great feature. Seats are average though slightly lacking in support for drives over an hour, but are upholstered in a comely fabric mimicked on the thin-but-concise door panels. Visibility is excellent all around. Roomwise, it is adequate, no more and no less. The trunk is large for its class and is well laid-out to make maximum use of its volume, plus split-folding seats - not always present in this class of car - add yet more versatility. All that is well and good, but how does it drive? This is another mixed bag. It rides firmly, bordering on downright stiff, and a full load of passengers and luggage does little to alleviate this. Handling should therefore be superb, and while it exhibits a measure of exuberance in normal maneuvers, the tail gets unsettled in bumpy corners or when applying mid-corner braking. Panic stops are dead straight with good ABS feedback and no drama whatsoever. The steering is nicely weighted and has a seductively smooth action to it. It also exhibits high-speed and crosswind stability which belies its low curb weight and tallish profile. Kia's 1.6l twin cam four with variable valve timing is one of the smoother fours I have driven, and is a willing partner with the manual transmission. It also has a pleasingly businesslike sound from inside the cabin not unlike that of some VW's, contrasted with the more whiny tone of many four-cylinder cars. Pair this motor with Kia's 4-speed autmoatic, however, and there's a lot to be desired. It saps the life out of the little engine, and the car becomes downright pokey. It feels as though it crashes into second gear, but other shifts are smooth. The gear ratios are pleasingly tallish and suitable for the car. Also much to my liking, it is relatively easy to keep the torque converter locked up for maximum fuel economy. Speaking of fuel economy, though my motor is not yet fully broken in, it has been disappointing, averaging in the high 20's and stuck in the low 30's in interstate driving even when keeping the speed down to 60mph - for comparison, this is down about 5-10mpg from my former subcompact. One note: there have been no mechanical problems, but just shy of 7000 miles, one of the taillight assemblies apparently had a compromised seal and allowed condensation to form inside the lens. The service manager at my local dealer is a very pleasant individual and has replaced it under warranty, no questions asked. Kia's warranty is one of the best (read: longest) in the business, and adds significantly to the car's value quotient. Being the last year of the bodystyle, most of the major bugs should have been ironed out by now as well. Overall, though it has its quirks, one has to remember this is on the bottom rung of the automotive ladder, and viewed as such, it delivers good value and a satisfying day-to-day competence. There may be more enticing vehicles out there, but buyers' remorse will not be a side effect of purchasing this vehicle."

Big Guy, Little Car

By on Thursday, January 14, 2010

"I have owned my 2007 Rio for a year now. I commute 60 miles each way to work, 5 days a week. I am 6 feet tall and weigh over 300 lbs. I find this car comfortable, and it gets great gas mileage. (usually 33 mph) It will never win a race, but handles 80 mph quite well."

Not worth it

By on Friday, February 20, 2009

"I have had nothing but problems with this car. I have been back and forth with Kia on my starting issues and get told they cannot find anything wrong with it Now its out of warranty now they find the issue and will not cover it"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Kia Rio near Honolulu. See local deals