2014 Kia Optima Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $20,061 - $20,846.

10/7.7

Based on 308 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

I LOVE THIS CAR!

By on Thursday, July 12, 2012

"I have owned my Kia Optima SX Turbo for a year now and still have not one complaint! I love it! No matter where I go someone compliments me on it and it handles as great as it looks!!! You can not go wrong with this car! Everything I've ever wanted, Fully loaded!!!!!"

Great car!!!

By on Saturday, June 16, 2012

Pros: "Styling, comfort, and fun to drive"

Cons: "Nothing worth mentioning."

"I purchased this car on a Saturday, and drove it 650 miles on Monday. I only gave it a 9 out of 10 because there are some things about the car that could be better, 1. Not enough compartments for things like change, or small items. 2. I was waxing the hood, and it seemed a little flimsy to me, I could push it down in the middle with just a little effort. 3. Steering feels a little stiff. And now for what I love, everything else, but specifically, 1. The way the center dash is angled toward the driver, 2. How peppy this car is, you step on the gas, and she responds, 3. And last but not least, her beauty, it looks like a shark rolling down the road ready to strike. Overall, after owning it for 30 days, I am pleased with my purchase, let's just hope I am as pleased in 30 months."

great cat

By on Thursday, November 17, 2011

"have owned my optima for 2 months and LOVE it!! got the base model with navigation and back up camera. quality is great. i traded a toyota corolla in and will never go back. lots of options i love and feel like i'm driving a much more expensive car. fun to drive and looks great. haven't gone on any road trips, i'm getting about 25 mpg city."

Great affordable car!

By on Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Pros: "great car for the price"

Cons: "Could use more sound dampening."

"For the price, this car is tough to beat. Have yet to have any problems with car. Very dependable. Creature comforts are off the charts. My MB didn't have a heated steering wheel!!"

Best vehicle I have ever owned.

By on Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pros: "great price, gas milage, and style"

Cons: "cost $30,000"

"It might not be as good to me if I had not bought it fully loaded. But, I love this car they way I bought it."

great vehicle with engineering comfort quirks

By on Monday, May 18, 2015

Pros: "roadability and looks. Decent gas mileage."

Cons: "mileage, steering,m"

"Car has quirky design factors on the interior like a passenger seat which lowers the farther back it goes or a center console positioned too far back to comfortably access it. The gas mileage is below as advertised and the steering has a funny "pulling" feeling in this model only---engineering also!!!"

Absolutely LOVE this car

By on Sunday, August 24, 2014

Pros: "Comfort, gas milage, reliablility, cheap"

Cons: "brake pedal cover fell off, laggy in hybrid mode"

"I have owned FOUR new vehicles- 2 brand new dodge pick ups, brand new Chrysler 300 and I traded in my Nissan 350z convertible for this KIA. I fell in love with the style, love the heated AND cooled seats. LOVE the comfort, LOVE the spacious trunk. LOVE the sexy sporty look. LOVE the radio, LOVE the handling. Other than the hybrid lagging a bit and the brake pedal cover coming off, it's amazing. Oil changes are CHEAP, maintenance is EASY and vehicle is holding up REALLY well. LOVE IT and have had it for 9 months. The variations of interior styles and options is amazing."

BEST CAR FOR THE MONEY

By on Monday, June 02, 2014

Pros: "Beautiful, quiet, powerful, great mileage"

Cons: "PASSENGER SEAT IS TOO LOW...PROVIDE AN ADJUSTMENT"

"I have an addiction...buying a new car every year. Had in the past Sonata, Genesis, BMW, Cadillac, Mercedes. Downtraded a Lexus RX350, 2013 for this 2014 Optima LX... The car is beautiful red and gets looks everywhere I go. The paint is of the highest quality. ONE COMPLAINT is that similar to the Sonata and Genesis HYUNDAI/KIA DOESN'T REALIZE THAT NO HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT ON THE PASSENGER SEAT IS VERY BAD. My wife is short and has to use a cushion...FIX THIS PLEASE.... I will look at the 2015 Genesis and Sonata to see if they have fixed this. Otherwise I do not know how they build this car for the money."

Overall, it is a nice and reliable car

By on Saturday, January 11, 2014

Pros: "Reliable and fast car - a full tank - 500 mile+"

Cons: "High sticker price, not 40 mi/gal -> 36/gal"

"I have owned this Kia Optima Hybrid about 21 months and drove 42,000 mi. It was a gamble for me to choose this car because I was not sure what I am going to get from Kia which I should've not worried about. It is a very well made and reliable car. The gas mileage was an issue but 36 mi/gal combined(local/highway)is till pretty good (I am an horrible driver). One thing I like most about this car is that when you are driving hilly area, this car can be very responsive in terms of speed/power. You will drive as fast as you want to because the powerful engine and battery combined power will support you at the same time (209 horse power). You do not feel you need more power. I would recommend to buy this car if you are not a huge fan of European car."

Awesome car for the price!!!

By on Thursday, November 07, 2013

Pros: "Great price! Low monthly payment"

Cons: "None as of now"

"I love all that this car offers for the price. I lease a Nissan Altima S and the Kia Optima Hybrid and there is no doubt the Kia is a much better ride, also the standard equipment blows the Nissan away!!!!! Not to mention I pay less per month for the Kia even though it had a much higher sticker price... I will definitely switch out the Nissan for another Optima."

Best car for the money

By on Wednesday, November 06, 2013

Pros: "Awsome price, Great to drive, Mind boggling MPG's"

"We bought our 2012 Optima brand new, we have put on only 9600 miles. For the money we looked at the Hyundi Sonata, Honda Accord and Ford Fusion. We found the Kia to be built just as good and drove just as good as cars costing much more. Our car is loaded except for leather and a sun roof, has been problem free and no recalls. Most of the cars we looked at (except for the Sonata) cost more for all that we got with this car. I have driven many cars and this not being a sports car drives like it wants to be, gets an amazing 36mpg on the hi-way and have been averaging 25-26 in the city.... awesome car and for the money I wouldn't buy anything else. Ohhh, and the styling is the second biggest reason we bought this car, WOW and the first is the MPG's... Best car for the money!!!"

Wanted tech & reliability with a lot of fun too!

By on Saturday, September 28, 2013

Pros: "Roomy, safety features make insurance cheap"

Cons: "Visors are too short to block out sun!"

Love my Optima but I want to see Blake Griffin get in ON CAMERA in those ads

"I replaced a 2005 Mustang that ate gas, couldn't accommodate more than 3 people, cost me a fortune in maintenance and fell apart at 6 years/60000 miles! I wanted a car with high mpg, low initial cost, a 10 year/100,000 mile warrantee and four doors. My Optima has the same horsepower as the 6 cyl Mustang, gets 1.5 x the mileage, has a large trunk I and, with the satellite radio, we can travel in it really well. When I go out to lunch at work, people call my car the "little limo" and want to use it rather than my supervisor's Toyota Avalon as the back seat is roomier. The unusual black cherry color gets compliments all the time. I can't believe I bought the "stripped" model and got all this!"

Love my Optima but I want to see Blake Griffin get in ON CAMERA in those ads

Love the car would not do anything different

By on Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Pros: "Lot of features, excellent styling, affordable"

Cons: "None worth walking away from it for"

"I have been putting off buying a new car for some time and like to research. I finally decided to take the plunge after looking at about 12 different cars. My dad bought a 2011 ex turbo a couple of years ago and loves it never a problem and nothing but looks of envy from people trying to figure out what it was and surprise when learning it was a Kia. I bought a 2013 ex with premium package and absolutely love it. While I have driven his turbo on numerous occasions I have found that the 2.4 ltr has more than enough power for most people myself included, as a matter of fact there have been a couple of times when I punched it on the interstate to pass a semi and looked down only to realize I was pushing 100 and believe me you could not tell unless you looked at the speedometer because the car itself is smooth and quiet. The features on the car are nice and easy to use I have the UVO system and find it to be handy especially when driving in heavy traffic. If there was any feedback that I would give it would be that with UVO you do not get navigation and in order to access and store music onto the hard drive you must put it into a special format. Believe me this is not a reason to not get this car because in one word it is "awesome""

Great Value

By on Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Pros: "Value, Gas Mileage, Quality, Fun to Drive"

Cons: "Road Noise"

"Although I am only at 500 miles and 1 week into ownership, I was treated to a 1 year test drive in my wife's 2011 Optima EX Turbo. At the same time, I was enjoying my 2008 Sorento LX 4WD 6-cyl. My main concern dropping from the SUV back to a sedan was mileage. I had read several reviews that said this car does not meet the sticker standard for MPG. Also, the book said it might take a bit of time to break in the engine. So, I was concerned. The car idled for about 20 minutes at the dealership. It idled at home for 10 while I paired my iPhone. It idled 10 minutes 3 of the first 4 days due to icy windows. And, my trip daily included the following speed zones in many areas: 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, and 65. I drove from barely above idle to hopping on the gas for merges and ripping it off the line in the city, hitting over 4000 rpm (the book says not to for the first 500 miles, but hey you gotta be you, right?). So, I pull into the pump today at about 40/60 city highway, and at 439 miles on the trip. It took 15.05 gallons and I just fell below 30 mpg. This is the GDI 4, not the turbo. My wife, this week, with 30k miles? 28 mpg, with 276 hp. Anyone that says these cars are sluggish? Wrong. Anyone that says the mileage is overstated? Wrong. The main issue with the 2011 was tires, and they went from Nexen that last 20,000 miles to Kumho. I expect to get at least 20% more life. Also, the spare you don't get? If your dealer wants to move the car, do what I did and call off the deal if they don't throw one in. Kia has a customer survey they like response to and threw in the tire if I completed it. The only last issue I have, after 5 years in Kia, is road noise from under the car. Everything else is great fit and finish, quality all around, and reliability. My wife had 2 turbo issues and each were fixed with software changes at the dealership. Get this car and enjoy it as much as we do. Spring for the leather, interior treatments, electronic doo dads, and you will be glad you did. If anything changes, I'll keep you posted. But, we've logged over 110,000 miles in Kia and an additional 60k in Hyundai and swear by them."

Love, Love, Love my Base model Optima!

By on Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Pros: "luxury look and feel, low cost, great mpg"

Cons: "notta"

"I test drove many midsize sedans and this was the best car overall for the price. I purchased the 2013 base model and it is very well equipped! It looks like a luxury vehicle but the price with Kia incentives was very inexpesive. I have been getting better hwy mpg than the vehicle rating. My wife and I also purchased a 2013 Kia Forte and love it. We are getting over 40 mpg on the hwy with Forte and 38 w/ Optima. We used to own a 2008 Kia Sedona but the mpg was killing us. To sum up. I love Kia!"

Optima Hybrid=value and comfort

By on Thursday, December 06, 2012

Pros: "great price, great MPG, AWESOMENESS!!!!"

Cons: "The Heated steering wheel gets a little warm :o)"

"I bought the car after a coworker and KBB showed what a great value. I put 2100 miles on it in the first 12 days, then hit a deer. Its coming home tomorrow, YAY!!!! I love it, power in the mountain roads (like the ones they use on commercials) and fuel efficient in the city. What more can you want with all the options in the loaded package. Take it for a test drive if you can find one. Know why they are hard to find, because they are GREAT cars and fly out the door. So far it is living up to the MPG as listed on the sticker and is fun to drive! Panoramic sunroof lets you really see the sky! Don't take my word for it, let the car speak for itself!"

Great looking vehicle - especially from the front!

By on Thursday, October 04, 2012

Pros: "EVO system, overall comfort"

Cons: "engine is a little slow on pickup"

"My approximate mileage is 1250 miles. I have driven my car mostly in the city - avg. mpg = 24.7. I have taken one trip on the highway. In 240 highway miles, I averaged about 30.7 mpg. Hopefully, when the car is more broke in, my mpgs will go up. As far as the car itself, I'm very pleased. I am 6 ft. 4 in. tall, and I fit very comfortably into the front seat. For the driver, the cabin is very easy to deal with. I got the performance package, and it was worth it! The EVO system is wonderful!!! If I had to do it over again --- I would!"

Very Comfortable, smooth driving.

By on Thursday, July 05, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, comfort, style"

Cons: "MPG, rear visibility"

"I have owned this EX for 2 months now. It drives wonderfully but the MPG is not what I expected. As it stands now in stop and go traffic it gets about 25 MPGbut at highway speeds it only improves to about 31. The second issue is the rear visibility because of the back seat head rests and high deck level. Aside from these two issues and a beginning acceleration problem which I hope to resolve at my first maintenance stop I would recommend this car to anyone."

Amazing Design and Value for your $$$$$

By on Saturday, June 16, 2012

Pros: "Great Value! Best in Class! Sexy appearance"

Cons: "Needs Clear Coat polish protect exterior finish."

"Ok for 10 years I drove a Nissan Maxima. (Excellent Car) 101K Miles time to get a new car! YES after lots of research KIA Optima EX was the choice. My comment How in the Hxxx can they produce such a terrfic vehicle for the price! What are other car manufacturers doing wrong?? The ride is quieter than my Maxima the 200HP 4 is amazing. The interior design and leather finish on the EX is excaptional for the price. The exterior suggests that you are driving a far more expensive vehicle and it REALLY does seat 5 in comfort! Huge Trunk space."

Owed alot of sedans, this one IS THE BEST by far!

By on Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Pros: "Looks, MPG, and fun to drive"

Cons: "none as of yet"

"I have 5000 miles on my 2012 optima Hybrid and the drive is the best I have ever had. Im getting 38 mpg avg!!! If you were thinking of a sedan to buy at least test drive this one. I test drove a few sedans and this one was the best for me being a young father. Looks great, has the power when you need it(even in the hybrid), and is super comfortable to drive. Im was impressed as you can tell."

Best new car

By on Saturday, March 17, 2012

Pros: "Roomy, lots of features for the money. Great buy!"

Cons: "Tires"

"Awesome car, could not be happier. Stock tires from factory are a little noisy, but that's a simple fix. Nav system is sufficient, stereo is excellent. Very roomy and comfortable, safety rating is as good as it gets."

I love, love, love my car!

By on Saturday, March 07, 2015

Pros: "Looks great, luxurious, sporty."

Cons: "Headrest/back-up camera fogs in rainy weather"

"Great value and quality, yet it is not a high-dollar car. I have all of the bells and whistles of those more expensive luxury cars, yet I don't have the notes associated with these cars. My car looks and feels great on the road. It's sporty, sexy and others are always taking a double look and telling me what a great car I have. I am not into "names", so I don't need a named car to make me feel like I am important. I feel as if I scored big with my Kia Optima. It has personality and luxury and it suits me well. The only cons are that sometimes the back-up camera fogs up in rainy weather and the headrest is a little uncomfortable."

great car for the price

By on Thursday, February 19, 2015

"this is my 3 rd kia and i love it !! gas milage in about 35 mpg highway and i drive about 80 percent highway driving my only gripe is that the seats are too low and rather flat my wife hit a deer on the interstate with this car doing 65 mph and it held up beautifully having heavy front end damage which our auto insurance covered the optima is rock solid on the highway bluetooth and xm radio are an upgrade for us also the power seat is very useful to us"

Hybrid - Not getting the gas mileage it should

By on Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Pros: "Looks great"

Cons: "Gas mileage"

"Car looks great and drives great but I am not getting the mileage I was told the hybrid would get. I am lucky to get 28-32 on a good day when Kia shows 34-39. Very disappointed in the mileage but overall the car is very comfortable. Next time I will not fool with a hybrid when there are a lot of cars getting the same gas mileage, or better gas mileage, without the added hybrid price."

great bang for the buck. great styling and power.

By on Friday, August 08, 2014

Pros: "styling, amenities, power, bang for the buck"

Cons: "possible turbo problems down the road"

"I would give this car a 10 except for the first two years of ownership, I had two re-occuring issues. The first was an annoying squeak in the roof panel which took several dealer repairs over 18 months to fix. The second was a turbo lag, which also took several dealer repairs before having the fuel injectors cleaned which did the trick."