2005 Jeep Wrangler

Based on 1241 Ratings for the 1997 - 2006 models.

It's a Jeep NOT a sports car!

By on Sunday, July 05, 2009

"First Jeep I've owned. Handles a little funky on the street & due to the low gearing of the Rubicon, mileage isn't exactly stellar but if kept below 55 it's fine. Bought it new & had Bank 1 sensor 1 for the exhaust fail at 800 miles but other than that no problems. The good year Wrangler MTR tires are loud (and getting louder with the miles) but from what i can find out no more than some and quieter than others... besides rotating them is supposed to be helping, also the tires are said to be a pain to get over the rim beads so good luck finding someone to mount new ones without ruining the alloy wheels. Had to get both tops in order to get the hard top & rag top has never been on the vehicle so i cant speak about the noise with the top down besides this things got huge windows and the A/C Rocks!!! So does the Stereo, wish i used it more. By the way if you're going to buy a Wrangler go for the Unlimited Rubicon unless you feel like putting lots of money in one to make it half as capable. Also keep your eye on the alignment even slight maladjustment can cause death wobble also check for uneven tire wear at rotation the 2 are a sure sign of misalignment. take the thing to the dealer and insist on a neutral alignment (no right pull) with a centered wheel. You'll thank me later."

best and toughest vehicle ever owned

By on Thursday, October 18, 2012

Pros: "durable, good looking, sleek and a work horse."

Cons: "rough rider, wabbly after a small lift job"

"this vehicle has over 90,000 miles and never had a major break-down, i have accessorized my vehicle very much and looks like i just bought it from the showroom... very dependable,cost efficient, quick and a work horse, i would not trade it for anything under $ 13,000.00"

99 Wrangler Sahara

By on Monday, August 25, 2008

"As far as practicality the jeep can definitely use to improve gas mileage w/ 4.0 liter. Reviewing the automatic I have found it to be a bit sluggish in D but its lower gears are great for inclimate weather and off-roading - basically w/o the need for using 4WLow unless in a hard pinch. Reliability has given me no issues what so ever even w/ 83k on it now, but as read, been told, and just heard the 4.0L is a hard motor to beat and one of their better platforms as far as reliability. My sahara has a 2 inch Skyjacker suspension lift, 1 inch skyjacker body lift, heavy duty cross bars, and steering stabilizer, custom pre-runner bumpers,nerf bars running on 33 BFG a/t's. Has been an ideal set up for local commute to work, and for playing on some light to moderate trails. Bought @ 70k and put the last 13k on it, all work done within last 800 miles. No major differences in miileage due to performance add ons. Road ride is a little rough - has always ridden like a "truck" and not an suv, but it is a jeep. Its off-road prowess is to surpass that of most others. I only have the hard top - so winter is cold... expressing COLD. Warm it up first. Thx for reading my review. Good luck & enjoy the sun & mud!"

Old Reliable

By on Sunday, December 06, 2009

"The 1998 Wrangler is the second wrangler I have owned and it has gone everywhere I have asked it to take me - the roadways of Oregon to the Cascades without fail. Just as the first Wrangler I can always count on it to start every time. I do wish the seats could be more comfortable but the heater and its fast acting ability to warm you makes up for it. Once I installed a winch on it, the possibilities became endless - in fact x-mas of 2007 I have to pull a Brand new lifted with all the bells and whistles GMC crewcab pickup out from a snowy rut which required me to cut a trail into the embankment to go around him because his rearend was failing off the road. Once I pulled him out I started cuting a snow trail to the top of the mountain. I didnt over heat or run scared that something would happen to us. I love my Jeep - but probably would upgrade to a 2000 or newer because of the more efficiency benefits in mileage."

168K and still going

By on Wednesday, August 27, 2008

"I have owned my Wrangler for nearly 10 years. It has 168K on it. I have had to replace the AX-15 transmission, it blew apart 5th gear. Transfer case seal has leaked twice. Front Pinion seal is leaking. AC has not worked in 3 years. Replaced the exhaust manifold 3 times. Replaced the radiator due to leaks around the tank. Has 13 rock chips and 1 stress crack in the front windshield. Fender flares have been painted with semi gloss bumper paint due to fading. Steering box is sloppy and needs replaced. Rear main seal on engine is leaking. Body is starting to rust around top of wheel tub area inside the tub, and around the drivers side rocker panel. AC drain leaked in floor until I extended the drain tube with a piece of heater hose. Oil pressure sending unit has been reading flase zero's for 8 years. Dash guages are intermittent due to poor connection, have to take apart and clean every couple of years. Even after all of that, I wouldn't trade it for a new Porsche. The Jeep, as flawed as it is, has been the most fun, most used, most cherished vehicle I have ever owned. My wife and I were married in it.......it has been on cross country trips, and many a 4 wheeling expedition. If you buy a Jeep, don't expect Toyota style quality out of it and you will be happy."