2005 Jeep Wrangler

Based on 1240 Ratings for the 1997 - 2006 models.

It is what it is

By on Tuesday, September 11, 2007

"I've had many Jeeps over the years ('47 CJ-2A, '53 M38-A1, '69 CJ-5, '84 Grand Wagoneer, '87 Wrangler). This "modern" Jeep rides like a Rolls Royce compared to the earlier models (except for the Wagoneer). The coil spring front end and softer rear end make a huge difference in everyday ride comfort and yet don't spoil any of the off-road capabilities that Jeeps are known for. With the soft top and full metal doors you have actual roll-down windows and a better place to park your elbow when the window is down. Try that with your little half door and plastic window! Now, Jeeps aren't for everyone. I have always been a Jeep afficianado and therefore am quite forgiving of its shortcomings as an everyday driver. It's slow, loud, hot in the summer, cold in the winter, etc... But when all the floods came to Texas this summer I was so happy I was no longer driving my old Miata. Being back in a Jeep after 10 years without one made me wonder how I ever got anywhere at all!! Again, Jeeps aren't for everyone. Don't like a convertible top that takes a good 20 minutes to erect? The Jeep isn't for you. Don't like a removeable hard top that takes 3 men, a child and a couple of dogs to remove? Forget the Jeep. Like to hear the radio at 60 mph? Nope. But think of it this way. Driving a Jeep is really like driving a modern antique. It accelerates like an antique. It rides like an antique. It even looks like an antique. At the same time it has modern ammenities like electronic fuel injection, air conditioning, power steering and brakes, cruise control, etc... And a flooded street isn't going to keep you from getting home from work. What's not to love?"

Its a Jeep, it is what it is.

By on Saturday, August 24, 2013

Pros: "Go anywhere, easy to work on, looks good muddy"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"Bought this Jeep for my daughter first car when she was 15. I did research forever and included her so she would know what she was getting herself into. She knew not to expect a smooth carlike ride, cushy interior or hitech gadgets. She drove it to school daily with her mom her to satisfy state requirements on learning hours and to get comfortable with it. Hers is a Wrangler Unlimited model with the extended wheelbase and much larger storage area behind rear seat. I wanted her to have this for greater stability and to be able to haul more stuff and still carry passangers in back. She is now about to turn 20 and is absolutely in love with it. It came with a hardtop so I bought her a nice Bestop Trektop NX so she can be more versitle in the warmer months. It gives it a fastback look and she can fold top back or take out side panels for a safari top. She will show up in the backyard occasionally with mud all over it from having fun with friends. It has been very reliable for us. I have replaced the A/C condensor and the oil pressure sensor. Other than that, just routine maintainance stuff like brakes, plugs, oil changes. She has gotten to the point where she does not even like driving cars anymore. Wont even drive her boyfriend new car cuz it dont feel right. Only downer is fuel economy, Maybe 225 miles to the tank. It has held its KBB value EXTREMELY well. Still worth $15,000 after this long and we didnt even pay that much for it."

My favorit Jeep yet.

By on Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Pros: "excellent resale, convertible, go-anywhere"

Cons: "not a commuter vehicle, needs a marine radio"

"I have owned about 15 Jeeps from year model 1947 to 2005. My current 05 Rubicon is by far the best and most capable. I purchased it used with about 5000 dollars worth of modifications. I love the venerable old inline 6 motor, I wish they hadn't stopped making them. The Jeep gets a lot of attention and the Rubicon package along with aftermarket components makes for a truly 'go anwhere' vehicle that one can feel confident while driving. The modern soft tops are great compared to the old days. Having a 6 speed manual coupled with 4.10 gears for the 36" tires is a perfect combination on the road and when in low range (4-1 transfer case helps there). Mileage is not bad for a massive lift and tires, about 17 mpg (I do not drive more than 65 mph, though, Jeeps are not aerodynamic). Big Jeeps and Rubicons are not for everyone. They require driver attention and knowledge of their unique handling. They are not Cadillacs. They are a vehicle you can still work on yourself and the less frills, the less trouble you will have in the long run. I may have to get a four door one day, though, just for comparison."

Best trade ever

By on Friday, May 28, 2010

"Well first let me tell you (in short) how i got my 1997 Wrangler for FREE. I bought a $300 winter beater and got rearended and their ins. co paid me $1400. Took that and bought a Little 4x4 pick up for $500 and the wrecked car. Later traded the lil pick up for a full size Chevy silverado with a ton of miles and rust. Recently traded it for the 97 wrangler, even swap. Needs a top and a couple tires, hood flew open on the guy so it has that dent and the windshield was replaced. Has 230k and still runs awesome. So by my math i'm still up $600 from the insurance payout, got me this wicked jeep, and it's the funnest vehicle i've ever owned and i've owned 37 in all so that says something. This thing is awesome no mater what the deal was, i'd pay the $3500 it's worth all day long if i knew it was this cool. And YES, Teal IS a tough color i don't car what they say, i'd drive a pink jeep with purple polka dots, IT'S A WRANGLER...."

2005 Jeep Wrangler

By on Saturday, February 14, 2009

"I bought it used and had it a few months , 4.0 straight six -six speed, Engine is very torquey , It rides fine and it is easy to drive and park and it goes through snow very nicely, I like the ride height you can see ahead easily and the seat is comfortable and gives good support so far i'm happy with it, I'll keep posting later down the line."