1999 Jeep Wrangler

Based on 1243 Ratings for the 1997 - 2006 models.

It's a Jeep NOT a sports car!

By on Sunday, July 5, 2009

"First Jeep I've owned. Handles a little funky on the street & due to the low gearing of the Rubicon, mileage isn't exactly stellar but if kept below 55 it's fine. Bought it new & had Bank 1 sensor 1 for the exhaust fail at 800 miles but other than that no problems. The good year Wrangler MTR tires are loud (and getting louder with the miles) but from what i can find out no more than some and quieter than others... besides rotating them is supposed to be helping, also the tires are said to be a pain to get over the rim beads so good luck finding someone to mount new ones without ruining the alloy wheels. Had to get both tops in order to get the hard top & rag top has never been on the vehicle so i cant speak about the noise with the top down besides this things got huge windows and the A/C Rocks!!! So does the Stereo, wish i used it more. By the way if you're going to buy a Wrangler go for the Unlimited Rubicon unless you feel like putting lots of money in one to make it half as capable. Also keep your eye on the alignment even slight maladjustment can cause death wobble also check for uneven tire wear at rotation the 2 are a sure sign of misalignment. take the thing to the dealer and insist on a neutral alignment (no right pull) with a centered wheel. You'll thank me later."

Old Reliable

By on Sunday, December 6, 2009

"The 1998 Wrangler is the second wrangler I have owned and it has gone everywhere I have asked it to take me - the roadways of Oregon to the Cascades without fail. Just as the first Wrangler I can always count on it to start every time. I do wish the seats could be more comfortable but the heater and its fast acting ability to warm you makes up for it. Once I installed a winch on it, the possibilities became endless - in fact x-mas of 2007 I have to pull a Brand new lifted with all the bells and whistles GMC crewcab pickup out from a snowy rut which required me to cut a trail into the embankment to go around him because his rearend was failing off the road. Once I pulled him out I started cuting a snow trail to the top of the mountain. I didnt over heat or run scared that something would happen to us. I love my Jeep - but probably would upgrade to a 2000 or newer because of the more efficiency benefits in mileage."

168K and still going

By on Wednesday, August 27, 2008

"I have owned my Wrangler for nearly 10 years. It has 168K on it. I have had to replace the AX-15 transmission, it blew apart 5th gear. Transfer case seal has leaked twice. Front Pinion seal is leaking. AC has not worked in 3 years. Replaced the exhaust manifold 3 times. Replaced the radiator due to leaks around the tank. Has 13 rock chips and 1 stress crack in the front windshield. Fender flares have been painted with semi gloss bumper paint due to fading. Steering box is sloppy and needs replaced. Rear main seal on engine is leaking. Body is starting to rust around top of wheel tub area inside the tub, and around the drivers side rocker panel. AC drain leaked in floor until I extended the drain tube with a piece of heater hose. Oil pressure sending unit has been reading flase zero's for 8 years. Dash guages are intermittent due to poor connection, have to take apart and clean every couple of years. Even after all of that, I wouldn't trade it for a new Porsche. The Jeep, as flawed as it is, has been the most fun, most used, most cherished vehicle I have ever owned. My wife and I were married in it.......it has been on cross country trips, and many a 4 wheeling expedition. If you buy a Jeep, don't expect Toyota style quality out of it and you will be happy."

Its a Jeep, it is what it is.

By on Saturday, August 24, 2013

Pros: "Go anywhere, easy to work on, looks good muddy"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"Bought this Jeep for my daughter first car when she was 15. I did research forever and included her so she would know what she was getting herself into. She knew not to expect a smooth carlike ride, cushy interior or hitech gadgets. She drove it to school daily with her mom her to satisfy state requirements on learning hours and to get comfortable with it. Hers is a Wrangler Unlimited model with the extended wheelbase and much larger storage area behind rear seat. I wanted her to have this for greater stability and to be able to haul more stuff and still carry passangers in back. She is now about to turn 20 and is absolutely in love with it. It came with a hardtop so I bought her a nice Bestop Trektop NX so she can be more versitle in the warmer months. It gives it a fastback look and she can fold top back or take out side panels for a safari top. She will show up in the backyard occasionally with mud all over it from having fun with friends. It has been very reliable for us. I have replaced the A/C condensor and the oil pressure sensor. Other than that, just routine maintainance stuff like brakes, plugs, oil changes. She has gotten to the point where she does not even like driving cars anymore. Wont even drive her boyfriend new car cuz it dont feel right. Only downer is fuel economy, Maybe 225 miles to the tank. It has held its KBB value EXTREMELY well. Still worth $15,000 after this long and we didnt even pay that much for it."

My favorit Jeep yet.

By on Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Pros: "excellent resale, convertible, go-anywhere"

Cons: "not a commuter vehicle, needs a marine radio"

"I have owned about 15 Jeeps from year model 1947 to 2005. My current 05 Rubicon is by far the best and most capable. I purchased it used with about 5000 dollars worth of modifications. I love the venerable old inline 6 motor, I wish they hadn't stopped making them. The Jeep gets a lot of attention and the Rubicon package along with aftermarket components makes for a truly 'go anwhere' vehicle that one can feel confident while driving. The modern soft tops are great compared to the old days. Having a 6 speed manual coupled with 4.10 gears for the 36" tires is a perfect combination on the road and when in low range (4-1 transfer case helps there). Mileage is not bad for a massive lift and tires, about 17 mpg (I do not drive more than 65 mph, though, Jeeps are not aerodynamic). Big Jeeps and Rubicons are not for everyone. They require driver attention and knowledge of their unique handling. They are not Cadillacs. They are a vehicle you can still work on yourself and the less frills, the less trouble you will have in the long run. I may have to get a four door one day, though, just for comparison."

Best trade ever

By on Friday, May 28, 2010

"Well first let me tell you (in short) how i got my 1997 Wrangler for FREE. I bought a $300 winter beater and got rearended and their ins. co paid me $1400. Took that and bought a Little 4x4 pick up for $500 and the wrecked car. Later traded the lil pick up for a full size Chevy silverado with a ton of miles and rust. Recently traded it for the 97 wrangler, even swap. Needs a top and a couple tires, hood flew open on the guy so it has that dent and the windshield was replaced. Has 230k and still runs awesome. So by my math i'm still up $600 from the insurance payout, got me this wicked jeep, and it's the funnest vehicle i've ever owned and i've owned 37 in all so that says something. This thing is awesome no mater what the deal was, i'd pay the $3500 it's worth all day long if i knew it was this cool. And YES, Teal IS a tough color i don't car what they say, i'd drive a pink jeep with purple polka dots, IT'S A WRANGLER...."

2005 Jeep Wrangler

By on Saturday, February 14, 2009

"I bought it used and had it a few months , 4.0 straight six -six speed, Engine is very torquey , It rides fine and it is easy to drive and park and it goes through snow very nicely, I like the ride height you can see ahead easily and the seat is comfortable and gives good support so far i'm happy with it, I'll keep posting later down the line."

I am a happy jeep driver times three!

By on Saturday, January 25, 2014

Pros: "The all weather conforming vehicle."

Cons: "Not a luxury vehicle, EVERYTHING is manual in mine"

"My first jeep was a CJ7 and this is is my second unlimited. I feel this is the best "Grocery getter" as far as jeeps go. The wider wheel base makes me feel safer, and the extra room behind the back seat makes for perfect camping gear space. Living in the cold Wisconsin weather, the hard top is a must, along with a lift and 33" tires. One week ago I rolled my jeep. I hit snow/black ice and that was the end of my control. Headed for a field and rolled two and a half times. The jeep has some cosmetic damage; broken fenders, windshield broken and the w/s frame is bent from the roll over, hard top is toast-rear window and side window shattered, drivers door needs replacing, rear tire flat, roof rack bent, and the engine was still running when I landed. I am certain if I was in any other vehicle I would be writing this from a coffin. I am happy to say I climbed out of the passenger door (b/c I was on my side) with a mild concussion and a few bruises. I am thankful I was in a jeep. As soon as I get the jeep back on the road I am investing in the "If you can read this, roll me over" sticker... I think I earned it."

Love vehicle

By on Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Pros: "The jeep itself"

"Vehicle is very practical, and dependable. Its great fun for the summer and winter."

best vehicle i ever owned

By on Friday, September 14, 2012

"I will tell anyone to buy this vehicle .It is a very reliable car.I was in a accident where the person ran a red light and it took a 50mph impact .I walked away from it very sore but i was ok.the durability was excellent."

Took a beating

By on Friday, August 17, 2012

Pros: "comfy-go-anywhere. It's a Jeep!!"

Cons: "roughish ride, lots of road noise"

"I drove my 2001 jeep from Montana to Wis. enough times to put 116000 miles on it and I haven't had to fix anything! And that's down to the floor with my poor 4 cylinder almost the whole way. Talk about tough!!!!!"

Most reliable car I have owned

By on Monday, October 3, 2011

Pros: "grat price, manuvering is great"

Cons: "tight in the inside, could use more room"

"Did not realize how reliable this vehicle was going to be when I purchased it in 2000. I get 17 to 18 miles to a gal. of gas. I put oversized tires, and new alloy wheels. I make sure I keep up with the maintainance, and it has never left me on foot. The best thing about this vehicle is the timing chain, if I had a timing belt this car would be dead today. I have 235, 000 miles and the car purrs loke a kitten. 5 speakers surround the car. Awesome music sound. The best car I have owned, I would recommend it to any one."

Unbelievable Value

By on Wednesday, December 30, 2009

"Bought used from a dealer 2 years ago. High book was 12 grand. I offerred $8200 out the door over the phone.(nevada has a 7&3/8% sales tax). Dealer said come on down with a check for the $8200- best deal I've ever made on a vehicle. It high books for $8815 right now. It had 120000 miles on it when I bought it (2 years ago) and has 140000 now. The only thing I've put into it besides gas is 4 lube & oil changes, a new set of skins, and an $85 battery. No leaks,no drips,no problems. Uses no oil between changes ( every 4 or 5000 miles. )"

Nothing better!!

By on Tuesday, November 17, 2009

"I bought my '97 Wrangler Sahara used in 2002 with 49K miles on it. It's Nov. 2009 now and it has 216K miles. I've driven it to Florida and back from Las Vegas. The only things repaired: new radiator, alternator, clutch, and plug wires. The AC stills blows as cold as the day I got it. By far the best vehicle I've ever owned. Looking forward to 300K."

fun vehicle

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"I bought my 99 wrangler about 4 years ago with about 35k miles on it. I now have a little over 76k. I've given it a 2" spacer lift and upgraded my tires and wheel package to oversized mud tires. Its been off road numerous times. I've played in the mud as well as done some rock crawling with it. Needless to say I driven it pretty hard and the only mechanical problems I've had other then routine maintenance were a bad alternator and the exhaust header sprung a leak. If your looking for an everyday vehicle to drive to work and run errands, buy a mini van. If you want something that performs well off road, is fun(not comfortable) to drive and versatile, then get a wrangler."

I love my 04 jeep wrangler rubicon

By on Monday, June 9, 2014

Pros: "Goes where other 4x4s fear to go"

Cons: "GAS MILAGE 16-17 city 20-22 highway"

"I purchased this vehicle used... It is by far the best vehicle i've ever owned. I do not do much offroading BUT if i wanted/needed to it would take me where I want to go. I've been asked than in the south why do you need 4 wheel drive.MY answer is always the same I'd rather have 4 wheel drive and not need it than to NEED IT and not have it. Yes it rides a little rougher than a car and it takes more gas to go somewhere BUT its built to take on almost anything and bring you out the other side. IT IS A GO ANYWHERE DO ANYTHING MACHINE."

Good, Solid Car :)

By on Sunday, November 20, 2011

Pros: "Few breaks, Very Reliable, CHEAP PARTS"

Cons: "Alot of Plastic, MPG, Cheap Materials :/"

"As you can tell, I've driven my Jeep for quite some time and I Love It. My family is full of Auto Mechanics (Including myself) and there are things to do to fix some of those nasty gas mileage issues. I Love the prices for Jeep parts, Very Cheap. Try and buy a Jeep with a hardtop, Whether you want one now does not matter, helps for resale and Just In Case!"

Definitely the best truck ever

By on Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Pros: "Fun Jeep to drive"

Cons: "ride is alittle rough"

"If you dont mind the rough ride this jeep is a dream! I have owned 5 Wranglers and I wouldn't own anything else!!! I'm a Jeep girl had Grand Cherokees as well and by far the Wrangler is the best for reliability and fun enough said!"

Best Vehicle Ever Owned

By on Sunday, November 6, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, lift and be apart of the community"

Cons: "Leaks"

"I absolutely love my Jeep Wrangler. This is my second one owned, only because I was stupid in selling my first one. They are a blast to drive and modifications are endless. They are extremely reliable cars and have never put me on the side of the road. Pro's-No matter hard or soft top, they can always turn into a convertible. It looks awesome lifted. You get to wave to the jeep owners. If anything ever goes wrong, its super cheap to fix. They hold their value. Con's- They do leak: in many spots. But nothing weather stripping cant fix."

I love my Jeep

By on Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Pros: "go anywhere, fun for summer and winter"

Cons: "road noise, gas mileage, interior room"

"I have had this jeep since 2005, bought it with 70K miles on it, and now closing in on 169k. Last winter was hit HARD with snow and I ran through everything that came down. There is not much room for much of anything in it, but this is the perfect, fun vehicle for summer or winter-take the top down and doors on in summer, throw it in 4 wheel high in the winter. But lately I notice that if I dont drive it for like 5-6 days, I find anti-freeze in the garage, seems like the seals may shrink. But I replaced the radiator at about 110K, along with the water pump. Then did the power steering pump about a year later. All were pretty easy to do all by myself. Poor gas mileage, so if you are looking at the 4 cylinder vs the 6, get the 6 cause the mileage is about the same, and you dont have to downshift up hills! But I have gotten more than my money worth it!"

Outstanding vehicle!

By on Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Cons: "Cramped back seats, lots of road and wind noise"

"I've been able to take my Jeep where other vehicles simply can't go. I've never has a serious mechanical problem with it and I can rely on it to start and run wherever I am (-30F to 120F). In 4-low, it's unstoppable. While it might have four seats, I don't like to stuff people into the back for more than a few miles as it's a little tight. But, hey, it's a Jeep. You're not buying one for the legroom!"

Reliable

By on Wednesday, October 21, 2009

"Jeep Wrangler is very reliable in that it requires very little maintenance. It will withstand heavy use and going off-road doesn't generally lead to mechanical failure. The primary enemy of a Jeep Wrangler is the wind. A 4-cylinder jeep will react to ANY headwind. It is virtually impossible to drive the speed limit if you are driving into a headwind of any substantial speed over 15-20 MPH. I have had the wind push me into the next lane over more than once. Luckily, nobody was using the other lane at the time. Wind noise inside the cab of a soft top Jeep is very loud. It is not likely that you will hear the stereo when playing at full volume and cell phone use inside a moving soft top Wrangler is impossible. There is less noise with the top down than with the soft top up. Jeeps are fun to drive and offer very reliable service for many years without significant mechanical problems. They perform very well off road. My Jeep Wrangler is the most fun of any vehicle I have ever owned. If you buy a soft top - buy earplugs with it."

Best vehicle I have ever owned

By on Thursday, February 12, 2009

"I've owned my Jeep for a little over a year and absolutly love it. The gas mileage isnt too great, but being able to drive this vehicle trumps the poor MPGs. I drive mine to and from work every day (110 miles round trip) on the interstate and it handles very well. I also bought a roof rack for mine with kayak attatchments so I can haul our kayaks. This Jeep will go anywhere, i drove it down into the dryed up sandy south georgia river once to get my kayak and it handled the slipprey sand like a champ. (I do not have special tires. just BFG Wrangler T/As.) I would HIGHLY suggest this vehicle to anyone. Remember, if you see another Wrangler you better "Jeep wave"!!"

Buy it for what it is.

By on Wednesday, June 18, 2008

"I have owned my 2005 Rubicon for 3.5 yrs now and would recommend one to almost anyone. You will read a lot of reviews on here that complain about comfort. It's a Jeep not a range rover, you wouldn't take a range rover the places you would a jeep because it was too expensive in the first place. You will also here complaints about MPG true Wranglers don't get good gas mileage, that's what happens when your vehicle has all the aerodynamics of a tool shed. As far as safety goes I have seen alot of wrangler accidents and the vehicle may be toast (if it's a good hit) but what's inside survives, does your honda have a 3" roll cage? I have never had anything go wrong with my jeep and good luck killing the I-6 I have seen personally one of them go for 42000 miles without an oil change before it finally gave out, properly maintained you can easily get 200,000 miles+ out of that engine. The bottom line is that I use mine for play and ride my harley everday, and bang for buck (not miles per dollar) these are the most fun to drive reliable vehicles out there for what your money."

A Top Choice Vehicle

By on Tuesday, November 13, 2007

"The Best vehicle I've ever owned. Incredibly reliable and surprisingly good gas mileage for a truck, my jeep has never let me down. It's the perfect vehicle for any weathered region. The Jeep Wrangler has got to be the most versatile vehicle ever made. Hard Top, Soft Top, No Top, Doors come off, Windshield folds down. It runs excellent in the winter, and Jeeps have some of the best heating systems, four wheel drive, and precise steering. On the other hand, It's my favorite vehicle in the Summer, Freedom gets life while your cruising with no top on hot days, and nothing has more control and power while driving on dunes or on the beach. In the Spring I go 4-wheeling wherever I can because Jeeps have no problem handeling any hill, rocks, or mud puddle. The only complaint I ever hear about Jeep Wranglers is that they ride kind of rough, for me I like the way the Jeep rides, it's very rustic, but with all the modern customs for a street car, some people like to feel a very smooth and cushioned ride and the Jeep does not really accomodate for that. Overall there are very few vehicles that I would choose over my Jeep, and I'm still driving a 1997 and have yet to have any problems with it. And trust me my Jeep has been over more rough terrain and in more severe conditions than most."