1998 Jeep Wrangler

Based on 1243 Ratings for the 1997 - 2006 models.

Outstanding vehicle!

By on Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Cons: "Cramped back seats, lots of road and wind noise"

"I've been able to take my Jeep where other vehicles simply can't go. I've never has a serious mechanical problem with it and I can rely on it to start and run wherever I am (-30F to 120F). In 4-low, it's unstoppable. While it might have four seats, I don't like to stuff people into the back for more than a few miles as it's a little tight. But, hey, it's a Jeep. You're not buying one for the legroom!"

Reliable

By on Wednesday, October 21, 2009

"Jeep Wrangler is very reliable in that it requires very little maintenance. It will withstand heavy use and going off-road doesn't generally lead to mechanical failure. The primary enemy of a Jeep Wrangler is the wind. A 4-cylinder jeep will react to ANY headwind. It is virtually impossible to drive the speed limit if you are driving into a headwind of any substantial speed over 15-20 MPH. I have had the wind push me into the next lane over more than once. Luckily, nobody was using the other lane at the time. Wind noise inside the cab of a soft top Jeep is very loud. It is not likely that you will hear the stereo when playing at full volume and cell phone use inside a moving soft top Wrangler is impossible. There is less noise with the top down than with the soft top up. Jeeps are fun to drive and offer very reliable service for many years without significant mechanical problems. They perform very well off road. My Jeep Wrangler is the most fun of any vehicle I have ever owned. If you buy a soft top - buy earplugs with it."

Best vehicle I have ever owned

By on Thursday, February 12, 2009

"I've owned my Jeep for a little over a year and absolutly love it. The gas mileage isnt too great, but being able to drive this vehicle trumps the poor MPGs. I drive mine to and from work every day (110 miles round trip) on the interstate and it handles very well. I also bought a roof rack for mine with kayak attatchments so I can haul our kayaks. This Jeep will go anywhere, i drove it down into the dryed up sandy south georgia river once to get my kayak and it handled the slipprey sand like a champ. (I do not have special tires. just BFG Wrangler T/As.) I would HIGHLY suggest this vehicle to anyone. Remember, if you see another Wrangler you better "Jeep wave"!!"

Buy it for what it is.

By on Wednesday, June 18, 2008

"I have owned my 2005 Rubicon for 3.5 yrs now and would recommend one to almost anyone. You will read a lot of reviews on here that complain about comfort. It's a Jeep not a range rover, you wouldn't take a range rover the places you would a jeep because it was too expensive in the first place. You will also here complaints about MPG true Wranglers don't get good gas mileage, that's what happens when your vehicle has all the aerodynamics of a tool shed. As far as safety goes I have seen alot of wrangler accidents and the vehicle may be toast (if it's a good hit) but what's inside survives, does your honda have a 3" roll cage? I have never had anything go wrong with my jeep and good luck killing the I-6 I have seen personally one of them go for 42000 miles without an oil change before it finally gave out, properly maintained you can easily get 200,000 miles+ out of that engine. The bottom line is that I use mine for play and ride my harley everday, and bang for buck (not miles per dollar) these are the most fun to drive reliable vehicles out there for what your money."

A Top Choice Vehicle

By on Tuesday, November 13, 2007

"The Best vehicle I've ever owned. Incredibly reliable and surprisingly good gas mileage for a truck, my jeep has never let me down. It's the perfect vehicle for any weathered region. The Jeep Wrangler has got to be the most versatile vehicle ever made. Hard Top, Soft Top, No Top, Doors come off, Windshield folds down. It runs excellent in the winter, and Jeeps have some of the best heating systems, four wheel drive, and precise steering. On the other hand, It's my favorite vehicle in the Summer, Freedom gets life while your cruising with no top on hot days, and nothing has more control and power while driving on dunes or on the beach. In the Spring I go 4-wheeling wherever I can because Jeeps have no problem handeling any hill, rocks, or mud puddle. The only complaint I ever hear about Jeep Wranglers is that they ride kind of rough, for me I like the way the Jeep rides, it's very rustic, but with all the modern customs for a street car, some people like to feel a very smooth and cushioned ride and the Jeep does not really accomodate for that. Overall there are very few vehicles that I would choose over my Jeep, and I'm still driving a 1997 and have yet to have any problems with it. And trust me my Jeep has been over more rough terrain and in more severe conditions than most."

It IS a Jeep Thing

By on Thursday, July 12, 2007

"I’ve owned Jeep vehicles for over 15 years and now the vehicle I drive every day is a 2005 Jeep Wrangler Sport. I bought this vehicle new in May ’05 and except for scheduled maintenance, it hasn’t been in the shop once. The feeling of knowing that you can go anywhere – anytime I think is what the “Jeep” is all about. My Jeep came with both the hard top and soft top. I took the hard top off shortly after getting the vehicle and it hasn’t been back on since. The soft top does not generate nearly as much noise as the older Wranglers and CJs (if it did the hard top would go back on). The ride of the Wrangler is a bit stiff, but then again it is a TRUE off-road vehicle. If you want more of a softer ride, you may want to consider a Liberty, Grand Cherokee, or Commander. I’ve owned two “Grands” and my wife currently drives an ’06 Commander. For me, I want to know that if I get off on some gnarly trail, that I’m going to get back out. It’s a Jeep thing..."

Great!

By on Saturday, July 7, 2007

"Jeep, is a JEEP! This is the third one I have owned. Never had a problem, just keep in mind - it's like a sports car... fun to drive great for just two people or just you. But there isn't space for storage or just "stuff". Just tell yourself.. it's a sports car @ a different level of height. It's my other car. But I love it!"

I love this car but..

By on Wednesday, December 4, 2013

"I absolutely love this car but it does come with a couple of problems. The main one being gas milage. On a good day you might be able to get 18 mpg highway out of it but if you have deep pockets it's not much of an issue. Another thing is that going highway speeds on a SE model is a chore for the car. If you're going up a hill on a highway you might as have blinkers on because you will be going at least 10mph lower then all the other cars. Of course you could shift the gear down but then there goes your mpg's. Although it does have its flaws I absolutely love this car. Crawling up steep hills in the mountain is something Wranglers have pretty close to perfected. Summer time is where this Jeep really outshines all other cars. There's nothing like taking some friends out on a summer night cruising with the top down and watching other people look at you with envy."

Very fun to drive

By on Sunday, October 13, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive , the family loves it."

Cons: "Fuel mileage is low due to low gear ratio."

"This is my first jeep and I love it. Fun to drive and easy to get around in tight places. I have a soft top on mine and love to remove it and go ride the country roads. Took it to the Smokey Mt state park and had a blast. I will buy a new jeep wrangler for my next new car."

Love my Jeep

By on Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Pros: "Love it every time I fire it up"

Cons: "Don't sweat the small stuff ."

"Raised it from a pup. You couldn't have any vehicle be more fun. Not a highway cruiser and not real fuel efficient but never a problem in 10 years. Original battery and top. Change the fluids, check the belts and it's ready to rock. A basic vehicle for doing basic things. A classic look. This baby will be in my will to the next generation of family funsters."