1998 Jeep Wrangler

Based on 1190 Ratings for the 1997 - 2006 models.

Great on highway, in town, or off road.

By on Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Pros: "Rides like a car - works like a horse."

Cons: "The top is not as easy to remove as it could be."

"I use it as a working car for rental property, off road for hunting and fishing, highway travel (frequent trips of 500 + miles) and even to pull small trees while clearing property.(I use it like a luxury tractor) Since it will pull a large trailer, I do not need a pick up truck, and since mine has AC, Cruise, plenty of power, automatic, and rides smoothly, I don't need a sedan. It s a practicle car that is also a fun toy!"

Very fun to drive

By on Sunday, October 13, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive , the family loves it."

Cons: "Fuel mileage is low due to low gear ratio."

"This is my first jeep and I love it. Fun to drive and easy to get around in tight places. I have a soft top on mine and love to remove it and go ride the country roads. Took it to the Smokey Mt state park and had a blast. I will buy a new jeep wrangler for my next new car."

ethanol is killing my cheap

By on Saturday, August 31, 2013

Pros: "will go anyware"

Cons: "mileage and power compromised with ethanol gas"

"I LOVE my jeep. I've owned it for 15 years now. I use it mostly for work and highway use as I travel from several different job sites. It always gets through me through the worst that nature throws at me. Maintenance has been normal wear and tear. Only two big items. A cracked manifold and a catalytic converter. Other than that it's been brakes, tires, shocks, a/c compressor and new fan motor, replacement top and radiator. Not bad for 15 years of use. The bad news is that ethanol is killing my gas mileage and power. For highway travel I have been using higher octane gas or using marine grade fuel. Other that that, I can not complain. My TJ is still old school with not a lot of plastic. It's not as pretty as the new jeeps but it is built to last. I plan on keeping it as long as it still keeps running."

great reliable vehicle

By on Monday, August 26, 2013

Pros: "good power, off road capabilties, resale value"

Cons: "rollover risk, rough ride, small interior"

"This is my second Jeep. I love this vehicle. The TJ Wrangler with the 4.0 has plenty of power and torque and they last a long time. The ride is a little rough but it is expected with the short wheel base. The Jeep handles extremely well on gravel roads. The TJ wrangler are extremely capable off road. I wouldn't recommend this vehicle for a new driver because of the short wheel base. Jeeps hold there value better then most vehicles which is a huge plus $$$$. Overall the wrangler is a very reliable and great vehicle."

Its a Jeep, it is what it is.

By on Saturday, August 24, 2013

Pros: "Go anywhere, easy to work on, looks good muddy"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"Bought this Jeep for my daughter first car when she was 15. I did research forever and included her so she would know what she was getting herself into. She knew not to expect a smooth carlike ride, cushy interior or hitech gadgets. She drove it to school daily with her mom her to satisfy state requirements on learning hours and to get comfortable with it. Hers is a Wrangler Unlimited model with the extended wheelbase and much larger storage area behind rear seat. I wanted her to have this for greater stability and to be able to haul more stuff and still carry passangers in back. She is now about to turn 20 and is absolutely in love with it. It came with a hardtop so I bought her a nice Bestop Trektop NX so she can be more versitle in the warmer months. It gives it a fastback look and she can fold top back or take out side panels for a safari top. She will show up in the backyard occasionally with mud all over it from having fun with friends. It has been very reliable for us. I have replaced the A/C condensor and the oil pressure sensor. Other than that, just routine maintainance stuff like brakes, plugs, oil changes. She has gotten to the point where she does not even like driving cars anymore. Wont even drive her boyfriend new car cuz it dont feel right. Only downer is fuel economy, Maybe 225 miles to the tank. It has held its KBB value EXTREMELY well. Still worth $15,000 after this long and we didnt even pay that much for it."

The 4.0L Engine is unstoppable, my 4th Jeep!

By on Friday, August 02, 2013

Pros: "Fun Car"

Cons: "Bouncy"

Garaged!

"I've had CJ5's and CJ7's but nothing compares, it's a blast to drive."

Garaged!

The car I always wanted

By on Sunday, July 21, 2013

Pros: "comfortable to drive, reliable,"

Cons: "bad gas mileage, small"

"I used this as a year around vehicle until i got my sports car. Now I use it as a winter vehicle only. Great car to drive back and forth to work. Not much room inside for larger items, but holds more than the sports car. Unfortunately the gas mileage is not very good. Cost of ownership otherwise is low."

Good for first car or college

By on Saturday, July 13, 2013

"It's a great car for someone on their own or a small family. the gas mileage is decent and its handles well in snow and is fun to drive."

Best 5spd. 4X4 I have ever driven & owned.

By on Friday, July 05, 2013

Pros: "Great on the gas 20 mpg. Comfortable,dependable!,,"

Cons: "Has it all except hard top and A.C."

"I've owned this jeep since the new model was introduced. I'am very satisfied with the vehicle."

good care

By on Wednesday, May 29, 2013

I don't own this car

Pros: "nice truck all around"

Cons: "dont like the color of it and window is broken"

"It is a nice car drives nice and has alot of power"

Excellent vehicle

By on Thursday, May 16, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, looks great."

"Was going to keep it many more years, but III am now unsble to drive a manual shift."

Can't Beat a Jeep Wrangler - It's all that!

By on Friday, April 19, 2013

Pros: "Relability, Drivability, Style, Tough, Fun"

Cons: "Small back seat"

"Jeep has been making great vehicles for years. The wrangler is at the top of my list of the greatest ever! The Wrangler has been used by the Military. It's tough, reliable and the inline 6 motor (known as the 4.0) in the wrangler is "bullet proof" according to an engine re-builder I know and many others have the same opinion. He says there are few motors better built as this one. Sad they are no longer using this motor in the new wranglers. Fools! I will always be a wrangler owner. Love them!"

nice jeep

By on Tuesday, April 16, 2013

"Great vehicle to joy ride in."

Fun vehicle to drive in the mud

By on Sunday, April 14, 2013

Pros: "good price"

Cons: "rough ride"

"Great car to drive around on the beach and in the mud. Not the best ride driving around town or on long trips"

Perfect for my lifestyle.

By on Wednesday, April 10, 2013

"I have had nothing but fun and great perfomance with my jeep. I won't buy any thing else."

Great all arround powerful vehicle, get u anywhere

By on Friday, March 15, 2013

Pros: "Power and versatility"

Cons: "Noisy on highway driving, soft top"

"From the road to real off road, this is the vehicle. It's not like the modern "jeep"that has an engine that belongs in a Prius, it really hauls and has the torque to get u up any mountain no matter the conditions. I use it in Snow and Ice as well as dirt and Mud, nothing stops it! And it is completely stock."

Review Wrangler

By on Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Pros: "convertable, cheap insurance"

Cons: "gas mileage, needs repairs"

"Has no Top (complete) has no back seat Clutch in need of repair. Front Wheel well damage Paint scrapes, need repair AC needs repair Fog Lights not working No Horn working"

Love my Jeep

By on Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Pros: "Love it every time I fire it up"

Cons: "Don't sweat the small stuff ."

"Raised it from a pup. You couldn't have any vehicle be more fun. Not a highway cruiser and not real fuel efficient but never a problem in 10 years. Original battery and top. Change the fluids, check the belts and it's ready to rock. A basic vehicle for doing basic things. A classic look. This baby will be in my will to the next generation of family funsters."

If you want a tough jeep this is it!

By on Thursday, November 29, 2012

"Purchased with 4 miles on it. It now has 211,000. 2 water pumps. ORIGINAL CLUTCH still in the transmission. It has been T-boned twice and is now a totally custom sleeper rock crawler, daily driver with 1 tons."

Extremely fun car

By on Saturday, November 17, 2012

Pros: "fun, cheap, excellent in mud, sand, rock or snow"

Cons: "loud, inefficent with mpg"

"Reliable vehicle that kills it off-road. Nothing like bouncing around off road with the top off in the summer! Works as a daily driver as well, but tends to guzzle the gas and isn't the most comfortable highway ride as it can get quite loud with either the soft or hard top."

Great car, but not for everybody

By on Monday, November 12, 2012

Pros: "Very tough, fun to drive, reliable, offroading"

Cons: "Gas guzzler, noisy, very basic design"

"I bought a 2004 Jeep Wrangler SE with the 4 banger brand new in September of 2004 and I love this car. Mechanically, I have replaced the brakes, replaced the tires, had the AC fixed (freon leak), replaced the 02 sensor, and replaced the battery twice...no other mechanical issues. I religously service my vehicle according to the maintenance schedule. I have had issues with the front end shimmy (death wobble), but through research on the internet, got it fixed. The engine is underpowered, especially when you try to get on the highway. You'll love a Wrangler as long as you keep your expectation in check. The car is very tough and designed to go offroad, but there are other vehicles that are better, smoother, and better designed for on road travel. It's a blast to drive because you can take the top down and is pretty reliable as long as you maintain the car. It gets horrible gas mileage (around 21 MPG without AC, around 16 with AC). Good luck!"

It's a Jeep.

By on Saturday, October 20, 2012

Pros: "Dead stupid reliable and cheap to fix."

Cons: "Like being shaken about in a box?"

"Loud, gas guzzling, generally uncomfortable, and a ride akin to sitting on a bag of sharp rocks and being shaken about violently. Awful, and I mean, scary on the highway. The NP231 transfer case lacks a viscous coupling, so it's all but useless for 90% of your winter driving - Though it does shine with good tires and 3-4+ inches of snow on the road, and the heater will burn your hands. That's a good thing, because even with an insulated hard top, it's always drafty inside. And leaks in the rain. If your Jeep doesn't yet, it will someday. Repairs are near constant on the suspension, the evap system, and random small problems - Mine started at 40,000 miles. The windshield needs replacement regularly as it is flat and pits excessively. Plan on replacing your heater fan resistor a few times through the life of the vehicle. Everything will leak before 100k. It's a Chrysler, and built like garbage, and lacks meaningful rustproofing. The interior is spartan, and cramped. Did I mention loud, and all over the road at any speed above 55mph? Now, it sounds like I hate this thing, but that's not the case, the information above is all true. It's a Jeep. It has never, ever broken down and left me stranded somewhere. It will soldier on broken for thousands and thousands of miles. The roof comes off, I don't hate myself for driving it in the winter, and really I never feel bad about anything I do to it. Parts are cheap, readily available, and simple to replace. There's nothing to break for the most part. And it's cool. It's a Jeep! Re: My score of 1 to "Likely to Recommend." If you want a Jeep, you buy one. But most people really don't."

best and toughest vehicle ever owned

By on Thursday, October 18, 2012

Pros: "durable, good looking, sleek and a work horse."

Cons: "rough rider, wabbly after a small lift job"

"this vehicle has over 90,000 miles and never had a major break-down, i have accessorized my vehicle very much and looks like i just bought it from the showroom... very dependable,cost efficient, quick and a work horse, i would not trade it for anything under $ 13,000.00"

Best $700 dollars spent in my life!

By on Thursday, October 11, 2012

Pros: "Awesome price"

"Bought 2002 jeep Wrangler for $700 crashed put $800 in parts and runs like a champ what a great car that is super easy to work on yourself!"

Jeep Tough

By on Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Pros: "Tough, reliable, off-roading is a blast"

Cons: "No way... best vehicle ever!"

Loving the Jeep

"I have a 2005 Wrangler X with half doors and a soft top. This is the best vehicle ever.... I have owned, and subsequently destroyed/totaled about 8 other vehicles it was not until I bought my Jeep that I finally have a vehicle that is tough enough for my driving. On road, off road, it does not matter to the jeep. It is the perfect vehicle, I use it every day as a commute vehicle and use it as a toy for off-roading trips. I have had a few issues with the wobble after the lift but it is a good toy to fix up and it is fun. If you need storage take out the back seat they have a storage trunk insert, or a roof rack, if you are worried about the handling... well it's a jeep. Worried about the gas mileage... don't jack it up and it's a jeep. LOVE IT!!!!!!"

Loving the Jeep