1998 Jeep Wrangler

Based on 1225 Ratings for the 1997 - 2006 models.

Best trade ever

By on Friday, May 28, 2010

"Well first let me tell you (in short) how i got my 1997 Wrangler for FREE. I bought a $300 winter beater and got rearended and their ins. co paid me $1400. Took that and bought a Little 4x4 pick up for $500 and the wrecked car. Later traded the lil pick up for a full size Chevy silverado with a ton of miles and rust. Recently traded it for the 97 wrangler, even swap. Needs a top and a couple tires, hood flew open on the guy so it has that dent and the windshield was replaced. Has 230k and still runs awesome. So by my math i'm still up $600 from the insurance payout, got me this wicked jeep, and it's the funnest vehicle i've ever owned and i've owned 37 in all so that says something. This thing is awesome no mater what the deal was, i'd pay the $3500 it's worth all day long if i knew it was this cool. And YES, Teal IS a tough color i don't car what they say, i'd drive a pink jeep with purple polka dots, IT'S A WRANGLER...."

Old Reliable

By on Sunday, December 06, 2009

"The 1998 Wrangler is the second wrangler I have owned and it has gone everywhere I have asked it to take me - the roadways of Oregon to the Cascades without fail. Just as the first Wrangler I can always count on it to start every time. I do wish the seats could be more comfortable but the heater and its fast acting ability to warm you makes up for it. Once I installed a winch on it, the possibilities became endless - in fact x-mas of 2007 I have to pull a Brand new lifted with all the bells and whistles GMC crewcab pickup out from a snowy rut which required me to cut a trail into the embankment to go around him because his rearend was failing off the road. Once I pulled him out I started cuting a snow trail to the top of the mountain. I didnt over heat or run scared that something would happen to us. I love my Jeep - but probably would upgrade to a 2000 or newer because of the more efficiency benefits in mileage."

Reliable

By on Wednesday, October 21, 2009

"Jeep Wrangler is very reliable in that it requires very little maintenance. It will withstand heavy use and going off-road doesn't generally lead to mechanical failure. The primary enemy of a Jeep Wrangler is the wind. A 4-cylinder jeep will react to ANY headwind. It is virtually impossible to drive the speed limit if you are driving into a headwind of any substantial speed over 15-20 MPH. I have had the wind push me into the next lane over more than once. Luckily, nobody was using the other lane at the time. Wind noise inside the cab of a soft top Jeep is very loud. It is not likely that you will hear the stereo when playing at full volume and cell phone use inside a moving soft top Wrangler is impossible. There is less noise with the top down than with the soft top up. Jeeps are fun to drive and offer very reliable service for many years without significant mechanical problems. They perform very well off road. My Jeep Wrangler is the most fun of any vehicle I have ever owned. If you buy a soft top - buy earplugs with it."

Best vehicle I have ever owned

By on Thursday, February 12, 2009

"I've owned my Jeep for a little over a year and absolutly love it. The gas mileage isnt too great, but being able to drive this vehicle trumps the poor MPGs. I drive mine to and from work every day (110 miles round trip) on the interstate and it handles very well. I also bought a roof rack for mine with kayak attatchments so I can haul our kayaks. This Jeep will go anywhere, i drove it down into the dryed up sandy south georgia river once to get my kayak and it handled the slipprey sand like a champ. (I do not have special tires. just BFG Wrangler T/As.) I would HIGHLY suggest this vehicle to anyone. Remember, if you see another Wrangler you better "Jeep wave"!!"

Buy it for what it is.

By on Wednesday, June 18, 2008

"I have owned my 2005 Rubicon for 3.5 yrs now and would recommend one to almost anyone. You will read a lot of reviews on here that complain about comfort. It's a Jeep not a range rover, you wouldn't take a range rover the places you would a jeep because it was too expensive in the first place. You will also here complaints about MPG true Wranglers don't get good gas mileage, that's what happens when your vehicle has all the aerodynamics of a tool shed. As far as safety goes I have seen alot of wrangler accidents and the vehicle may be toast (if it's a good hit) but what's inside survives, does your honda have a 3" roll cage? I have never had anything go wrong with my jeep and good luck killing the I-6 I have seen personally one of them go for 42000 miles without an oil change before it finally gave out, properly maintained you can easily get 200,000 miles+ out of that engine. The bottom line is that I use mine for play and ride my harley everday, and bang for buck (not miles per dollar) these are the most fun to drive reliable vehicles out there for what your money."

A Top Choice Vehicle

By on Tuesday, November 13, 2007

"The Best vehicle I've ever owned. Incredibly reliable and surprisingly good gas mileage for a truck, my jeep has never let me down. It's the perfect vehicle for any weathered region. The Jeep Wrangler has got to be the most versatile vehicle ever made. Hard Top, Soft Top, No Top, Doors come off, Windshield folds down. It runs excellent in the winter, and Jeeps have some of the best heating systems, four wheel drive, and precise steering. On the other hand, It's my favorite vehicle in the Summer, Freedom gets life while your cruising with no top on hot days, and nothing has more control and power while driving on dunes or on the beach. In the Spring I go 4-wheeling wherever I can because Jeeps have no problem handeling any hill, rocks, or mud puddle. The only complaint I ever hear about Jeep Wranglers is that they ride kind of rough, for me I like the way the Jeep rides, it's very rustic, but with all the modern customs for a street car, some people like to feel a very smooth and cushioned ride and the Jeep does not really accomodate for that. Overall there are very few vehicles that I would choose over my Jeep, and I'm still driving a 1997 and have yet to have any problems with it. And trust me my Jeep has been over more rough terrain and in more severe conditions than most."

It IS a Jeep Thing

By on Thursday, July 12, 2007

"I’ve owned Jeep vehicles for over 15 years and now the vehicle I drive every day is a 2005 Jeep Wrangler Sport. I bought this vehicle new in May ’05 and except for scheduled maintenance, it hasn’t been in the shop once. The feeling of knowing that you can go anywhere – anytime I think is what the “Jeep” is all about. My Jeep came with both the hard top and soft top. I took the hard top off shortly after getting the vehicle and it hasn’t been back on since. The soft top does not generate nearly as much noise as the older Wranglers and CJs (if it did the hard top would go back on). The ride of the Wrangler is a bit stiff, but then again it is a TRUE off-road vehicle. If you want more of a softer ride, you may want to consider a Liberty, Grand Cherokee, or Commander. I’ve owned two “Grands” and my wife currently drives an ’06 Commander. For me, I want to know that if I get off on some gnarly trail, that I’m going to get back out. It’s a Jeep thing..."

Great!

By on Saturday, July 07, 2007

"Jeep, is a JEEP! This is the third one I have owned. Never had a problem, just keep in mind - it's like a sports car... fun to drive great for just two people or just you. But there isn't space for storage or just "stuff". Just tell yourself.. it's a sports car @ a different level of height. It's my other car. But I love it!"

I love this car but..

By on Wednesday, December 04, 2013

"I absolutely love this car but it does come with a couple of problems. The main one being gas milage. On a good day you might be able to get 18 mpg highway out of it but if you have deep pockets it's not much of an issue. Another thing is that going highway speeds on a SE model is a chore for the car. If you're going up a hill on a highway you might as have blinkers on because you will be going at least 10mph lower then all the other cars. Of course you could shift the gear down but then there goes your mpg's. Although it does have its flaws I absolutely love this car. Crawling up steep hills in the mountain is something Wranglers have pretty close to perfected. Summer time is where this Jeep really outshines all other cars. There's nothing like taking some friends out on a summer night cruising with the top down and watching other people look at you with envy."

Very fun to drive

By on Sunday, October 13, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive , the family loves it."

Cons: "Fuel mileage is low due to low gear ratio."

"This is my first jeep and I love it. Fun to drive and easy to get around in tight places. I have a soft top on mine and love to remove it and go ride the country roads. Took it to the Smokey Mt state park and had a blast. I will buy a new jeep wrangler for my next new car."

Love my Jeep

By on Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Pros: "Love it every time I fire it up"

Cons: "Don't sweat the small stuff ."

"Raised it from a pup. You couldn't have any vehicle be more fun. Not a highway cruiser and not real fuel efficient but never a problem in 10 years. Original battery and top. Change the fluids, check the belts and it's ready to rock. A basic vehicle for doing basic things. A classic look. This baby will be in my will to the next generation of family funsters."

Noisy, choppy, rough, love it!

By on Friday, January 06, 2012

Pros: "Almost the most fun you can have on four wheels."

Cons: "Noisy, choppy ride, no convenience features at all"

"If you want a quiet, smooth, slick handling, cushy vehicle, or great mileage, forget this one. But if you want something that is loads of fun, bounces you around, is rough and tumble but when you stop you have a stupid grin on your face, this is it!"

Best vehicle ever made

By on Sunday, November 13, 2011

Pros: "Runs forever, holds its value, fun to drive"

Cons: "gas mileage, soft top noise while driving"

Big Bear, CA

"I bought a 03 Honda Civic as my first car, great gas, but the transmission blew at 109k miles. Got it fixed and sold it for a Jeep Wrangler, I got it with 106k, I put new brake pads, rotors, soft top and tires. The thing was in BRAND NEW condition after that. I change the oil, put gas in it and it runs like a dream. Never had an mechanical problems. Had a couple fuses pop, but other than that its never had any problems. Still on original transmission and now I have 134k miles on it. Power is good if you keep it stock. Aerodynamics isn't great, which explains the gas mileage. I have a 15 gallon tank and get about 260-270 miles per tank (18 MPG highway). About the same as any gas guzzling 2WD truck that gets stuck in everything. I have taken it off road in Big Bear CA, this thing can go over stuff you wouldn't think it would, even if it has the stock "limited slip differential". Common problems with this 99 Jeep Wrangler, Climate control switches on dash will melt behind knobs if life on highest blow setting for everyday use (to avoid this, use settings 1-3). Climate control knobs break if twisted too fast. n"

Big Bear, CA

Best Vehicle Ever Owned

By on Sunday, November 06, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, lift and be apart of the community"

Cons: "Leaks"

"I absolutely love my Jeep Wrangler. This is my second one owned, only because I was stupid in selling my first one. They are a blast to drive and modifications are endless. They are extremely reliable cars and have never put me on the side of the road. Pro's-No matter hard or soft top, they can always turn into a convertible. It looks awesome lifted. You get to wave to the jeep owners. If anything ever goes wrong, its super cheap to fix. They hold their value. Con's- They do leak: in many spots. But nothing weather stripping cant fix."

Pride of ownership

By on Saturday, November 05, 2011

Pros: "fun--especially w the top off in the summer"

Cons: "Grandma thinks the ride is too jerky"

"I traded in a corvette in 1999 for this b/c I couldn't have fun, without worry, on my dirt rd. Now, I have fun, even when I'm driving to work. I don't plan on selling it--when we can no longer take the hard top off to put on the soft-top, we'll give it to our grandkids (who aren't even born yet!)-"

Best off-road vehicle ever

By on Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, better gas mileage than trucks"

Cons: "not for road trips, not a lot of seating"

"I drove this thing everywhere during every condition. From blizzard to floods etc. Never got stuck, broke down, or stuck on the side of the road. Wish I could keep it forever but just not plausible as my family is growing out of the space."

3rd wrangler

By on Monday, August 22, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive , lots of add ons to play with"

Cons: "they are priced a bit high due to the pop culture factor"

"remember ... whatever you may think this is an economy model rig. they are ranch rigs and built to work the trail. they are perfect for what they are intended. the are fun to drive and reliable if you DO THE SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. I have had 3 diff years and liked them all. I still own 2 of them."

Jeep The Essentials to know Before Buying

By on Tuesday, September 14, 2010

"I hvae a 1997 jeep wrangler that currently has 178000 miles on it. When I bought the jeep it only had about 35000 mile on it. But over the course of 4yrs it has ahad is minor and major flaws. To all those people out there that just want a lil jeep to drive to work and back this vehcle is probley not the choice for you. On the highway the 4.0 engine does not have much pep and is hard to traver at normal highway speeds. And not to add the fuel milage varys depending on what roads you drive. Whenever i drive on the interstae i get worse fuel milage than just driving around on the PA country roads. Reason being for this is that they are not aerdynamic. But other than those issues the jeep is an enjoyable vehicle to drive if ur not stuck on the perfect quiet life. ITS A JEEP. Not a Caddy.But as far as major problems ive had have been 1st. The rear differentail DANA 35 are too weak for the torque of the 4.0 i have replaced 2axle shafts on the passengers side. 2nd The transmissions are strong at heart until you shitft to reverse then they whine and grind... But other than that $400 Fix for 4 years of driving I have no major complaints. I have done normal maitnance and grease all U-joints and air cleaner,every oild change. And The 4.0 might not be a powerhouse but it keeps moving forward just like the day it was new. As long as you dont Lugg or overrev a 4.0 they'll give many continuous years of reliable service. And as far as off-road goes they will go anywhere i put 31 inch tires on and that is a vast impprovement on handling on and off road. The 4x4 is great... But i wish i had somewhere better than a muddy feild to drive through. But the reason you should want to buy a jeep is to enjoy its minor issus.. And when it does break realize that things do wear out occasionlly... Its all on how close of attention you pay to the vehcle. If ur the type of person that leaves ur steering wheel vibrate for miles on end without tire balanceing or tie rod replacement you will eventually cause the steeering gearbox tie rod ends ect.. to wear causeing the death wobble. And anothor thing that will help keep you from replacing the front tie rod ends ball joints and U-joints is to grease them every oil change. But like i said earlier if ur buyin a jeep and are a prissy person that ur ears start to ring whenever the microwave buzzer goes off this vehcile will not suit you. Because the soft top is very loud.. Esspeciallyu if you like listening to the radio.. But regaurdless jeeps are my number one choice on vehicles to buy even though the get poor fuel milage anf mite ride a lil rough and be a lil noisy... Who cares? Its A JEEP (Just-Empty-Every-Pocket)."

Underpowered but fun

By on Monday, August 23, 2010

"Bought the Jeep in Jan 2004 for $13,688 and my only gripe is the 2.4L 4cyl is grossly underpowered. Vehicle is not geared correctly for the lack of power so you find yourself constantly going thru the gears on even the slightest of inclines. Otherwise your run-of-the-mill Jeep. Owned for 6.5yrs, maintained regularly and never had any issues with it. I would definitely recommend the V-6 for a purchase, however."

I Love My Jeep!

By on Sunday, February 28, 2010

"266,000 miles. I'm the second owner and bought this gem with 38,000 miles on it. Original transmission, original clutch. Best vehicle ever, hands down. Drove her cross-country when she had over 100k miles. In the 12 years I've owned this jeep, I've replaced a lot of things, but every component lasted longer than I ever expected- except the stereo! Very dependable and I love the ride. Never any body work, but most of the paint on the hood is faded away. My daily driver until about 2006, and since then I have had a Mercedes, a Porsche and an Expedition but there is nothing that compares to a Jeep! I have decided to put the Jeep back on the job as my daily driver! A paint job and a new windshield and she'll be ready to go. I have a list of people who want to buy her if I ever decide to sell- including my insurance agent! I don't think I ever will though."

can't hurt this one!

By on Monday, January 04, 2010

"I bought my Jeep used with 140,000 miles on it! It now has 297,xxx and is still going. It doesn't have first gear anymore but that just wont stop it from doing everything that it did before. It has been easy to fix, and has been the most reliable vehicle that I have ever owned! the body is strong and puts up with a lot of abuse. It's fun to drive, especially in the mud, snow and summer with the top off! I love my Jeep!"

Unbelievable Value

By on Wednesday, December 30, 2009

"Bought used from a dealer 2 years ago. High book was 12 grand. I offerred $8200 out the door over the phone.(nevada has a 7&3/8% sales tax). Dealer said come on down with a check for the $8200- best deal I've ever made on a vehicle. It high books for $8815 right now. It had 120000 miles on it when I bought it (2 years ago) and has 140000 now. The only thing I've put into it besides gas is 4 lube & oil changes, a new set of skins, and an $85 battery. No leaks,no drips,no problems. Uses no oil between changes ( every 4 or 5000 miles. )"

Best vehicle I've ever owned!

By on Monday, July 27, 2009

"I bought my jeep brand new in 06. This thing takes everything I throw at it. I drive over 2k miles a month just for work in it. Then I go offroading 1-2 week-ends out of the month on top of that. I may buy other vehicles down the road, but I'll never sell this JEEP."

solid go anywhere vechicle, highway, off road

By on Friday, July 03, 2009

"Stable at speed on highway or gravel. The abs is fool proof. The locker are awesome when only two or three wheels are touching the dirt. The gas milage is disapointing. You would think with a great granny gear and a six speed Dailmer would have put in a high road gear for sixth. rick"

Fun vehicle

By on Saturday, April 18, 2009

"This vehicle is fun in the summer, not so fun in the winter. When it is windy...you might as well attach a sail and turn off your engine and see where the wind takes you. Not very good on gas."