1998 Jeep Wrangler

Based on 1225 Ratings for the 1997 - 2006 models.

It's a Jeep NOT a sports car!

By on Sunday, July 05, 2009

"First Jeep I've owned. Handles a little funky on the street & due to the low gearing of the Rubicon, mileage isn't exactly stellar but if kept below 55 it's fine. Bought it new & had Bank 1 sensor 1 for the exhaust fail at 800 miles but other than that no problems. The good year Wrangler MTR tires are loud (and getting louder with the miles) but from what i can find out no more than some and quieter than others... besides rotating them is supposed to be helping, also the tires are said to be a pain to get over the rim beads so good luck finding someone to mount new ones without ruining the alloy wheels. Had to get both tops in order to get the hard top & rag top has never been on the vehicle so i cant speak about the noise with the top down besides this things got huge windows and the A/C Rocks!!! So does the Stereo, wish i used it more. By the way if you're going to buy a Wrangler go for the Unlimited Rubicon unless you feel like putting lots of money in one to make it half as capable. Also keep your eye on the alignment even slight maladjustment can cause death wobble also check for uneven tire wear at rotation the 2 are a sure sign of misalignment. take the thing to the dealer and insist on a neutral alignment (no right pull) with a centered wheel. You'll thank me later."

best and toughest vehicle ever owned

By on Thursday, October 18, 2012

Pros: "durable, good looking, sleek and a work horse."

Cons: "rough rider, wabbly after a small lift job"

"this vehicle has over 90,000 miles and never had a major break-down, i have accessorized my vehicle very much and looks like i just bought it from the showroom... very dependable,cost efficient, quick and a work horse, i would not trade it for anything under $ 13,000.00"

This is my 6th Jeep!!

By on Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Pros: "Lots of adrenaline rushes and admiring stares"

Cons: "Won't fit in the house."

"I love this vehicle. I have owned many jeeps and loved them all! It's like driving a big go-cart. Fun, easy to drive, great in traffic and parks anywhere. Can't tell you how many times we went to an event and parked right up front because I could park where no one else could. I have never lost money on a jeep. I have usually made double what I paid for them and up to three times their original new price for the older ones. In the summer, a bikini top and half doors is what gets many looks. For the single guys it is a chick magnet. I once had a dozen cheerleaders at 7am in 30 degree weather in McLean, TX dancing around my jeep. Unbelievable."

Third Jeep

By on Saturday, November 06, 2010

"I have owned a CJ, a YJ, and now a 2004 Ruby TJ. This is the best Jeep ever. All the comforts and it still goes anywhere. I bought this truck used in 2007 and have never had a problem with it. I tow with it and off road it in Florida. If you like the weather out there, get one."

It's a JEEP , nuff said!

By on Tuesday, February 17, 2009

"I'm an adult driver who's owned many 4x4's in his life. Ford's, Chevy's, Dodge's, and all of them have good qualities. But by far, the Jeep TJ Wrangler is a hands down off road and on road FUN MONSTER! It's not the fastest or loudest, but I can put the top down, lock it in 4H or 4L and just go have fun! I take off the doors, turn up the tunes, and drive around Colorado with a big grin on my face!"

168K and still going

By on Wednesday, August 27, 2008

"I have owned my Wrangler for nearly 10 years. It has 168K on it. I have had to replace the AX-15 transmission, it blew apart 5th gear. Transfer case seal has leaked twice. Front Pinion seal is leaking. AC has not worked in 3 years. Replaced the exhaust manifold 3 times. Replaced the radiator due to leaks around the tank. Has 13 rock chips and 1 stress crack in the front windshield. Fender flares have been painted with semi gloss bumper paint due to fading. Steering box is sloppy and needs replaced. Rear main seal on engine is leaking. Body is starting to rust around top of wheel tub area inside the tub, and around the drivers side rocker panel. AC drain leaked in floor until I extended the drain tube with a piece of heater hose. Oil pressure sending unit has been reading flase zero's for 8 years. Dash guages are intermittent due to poor connection, have to take apart and clean every couple of years. Even after all of that, I wouldn't trade it for a new Porsche. The Jeep, as flawed as it is, has been the most fun, most used, most cherished vehicle I have ever owned. My wife and I were married in it.......it has been on cross country trips, and many a 4 wheeling expedition. If you buy a Jeep, don't expect Toyota style quality out of it and you will be happy."

99 Wrangler Sahara

By on Monday, August 25, 2008

"As far as practicality the jeep can definitely use to improve gas mileage w/ 4.0 liter. Reviewing the automatic I have found it to be a bit sluggish in D but its lower gears are great for inclimate weather and off-roading - basically w/o the need for using 4WLow unless in a hard pinch. Reliability has given me no issues what so ever even w/ 83k on it now, but as read, been told, and just heard the 4.0L is a hard motor to beat and one of their better platforms as far as reliability. My sahara has a 2 inch Skyjacker suspension lift, 1 inch skyjacker body lift, heavy duty cross bars, and steering stabilizer, custom pre-runner bumpers,nerf bars running on 33 BFG a/t's. Has been an ideal set up for local commute to work, and for playing on some light to moderate trails. Bought @ 70k and put the last 13k on it, all work done within last 800 miles. No major differences in miileage due to performance add ons. Road ride is a little rough - has always ridden like a "truck" and not an suv, but it is a jeep. Its off-road prowess is to surpass that of most others. I only have the hard top - so winter is cold... expressing COLD. Warm it up first. Thx for reading my review. Good luck & enjoy the sun & mud!"

It is what it is

By on Tuesday, September 11, 2007

"I've had many Jeeps over the years ('47 CJ-2A, '53 M38-A1, '69 CJ-5, '84 Grand Wagoneer, '87 Wrangler). This "modern" Jeep rides like a Rolls Royce compared to the earlier models (except for the Wagoneer). The coil spring front end and softer rear end make a huge difference in everyday ride comfort and yet don't spoil any of the off-road capabilities that Jeeps are known for. With the soft top and full metal doors you have actual roll-down windows and a better place to park your elbow when the window is down. Try that with your little half door and plastic window! Now, Jeeps aren't for everyone. I have always been a Jeep afficianado and therefore am quite forgiving of its shortcomings as an everyday driver. It's slow, loud, hot in the summer, cold in the winter, etc... But when all the floods came to Texas this summer I was so happy I was no longer driving my old Miata. Being back in a Jeep after 10 years without one made me wonder how I ever got anywhere at all!! Again, Jeeps aren't for everyone. Don't like a convertible top that takes a good 20 minutes to erect? The Jeep isn't for you. Don't like a removeable hard top that takes 3 men, a child and a couple of dogs to remove? Forget the Jeep. Like to hear the radio at 60 mph? Nope. But think of it this way. Driving a Jeep is really like driving a modern antique. It accelerates like an antique. It rides like an antique. It even looks like an antique. At the same time it has modern ammenities like electronic fuel injection, air conditioning, power steering and brakes, cruise control, etc... And a flooded street isn't going to keep you from getting home from work. What's not to love?"

Its a Jeep, it is what it is.

By on Saturday, August 24, 2013

Pros: "Go anywhere, easy to work on, looks good muddy"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"Bought this Jeep for my daughter first car when she was 15. I did research forever and included her so she would know what she was getting herself into. She knew not to expect a smooth carlike ride, cushy interior or hitech gadgets. She drove it to school daily with her mom her to satisfy state requirements on learning hours and to get comfortable with it. Hers is a Wrangler Unlimited model with the extended wheelbase and much larger storage area behind rear seat. I wanted her to have this for greater stability and to be able to haul more stuff and still carry passangers in back. She is now about to turn 20 and is absolutely in love with it. It came with a hardtop so I bought her a nice Bestop Trektop NX so she can be more versitle in the warmer months. It gives it a fastback look and she can fold top back or take out side panels for a safari top. She will show up in the backyard occasionally with mud all over it from having fun with friends. It has been very reliable for us. I have replaced the A/C condensor and the oil pressure sensor. Other than that, just routine maintainance stuff like brakes, plugs, oil changes. She has gotten to the point where she does not even like driving cars anymore. Wont even drive her boyfriend new car cuz it dont feel right. Only downer is fuel economy, Maybe 225 miles to the tank. It has held its KBB value EXTREMELY well. Still worth $15,000 after this long and we didnt even pay that much for it."

My favorit Jeep yet.

By on Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Pros: "excellent resale, convertible, go-anywhere"

Cons: "not a commuter vehicle, needs a marine radio"

"I have owned about 15 Jeeps from year model 1947 to 2005. My current 05 Rubicon is by far the best and most capable. I purchased it used with about 5000 dollars worth of modifications. I love the venerable old inline 6 motor, I wish they hadn't stopped making them. The Jeep gets a lot of attention and the Rubicon package along with aftermarket components makes for a truly 'go anwhere' vehicle that one can feel confident while driving. The modern soft tops are great compared to the old days. Having a 6 speed manual coupled with 4.10 gears for the 36" tires is a perfect combination on the road and when in low range (4-1 transfer case helps there). Mileage is not bad for a massive lift and tires, about 17 mpg (I do not drive more than 65 mph, though, Jeeps are not aerodynamic). Big Jeeps and Rubicons are not for everyone. They require driver attention and knowledge of their unique handling. They are not Cadillacs. They are a vehicle you can still work on yourself and the less frills, the less trouble you will have in the long run. I may have to get a four door one day, though, just for comparison."