1994 Jeep Wrangler

Based on 286 Ratings for the 1987 - 1995 models.

7.6/10

Good for price

By on Thursday, April 05, 2012

Pros: "Great as a off road truck, perfect for budget"

Cons: "aerodynamic as a brick. slow 4 cyl"

"This was the first Jeep I owned and I love it. It has some problems but it is from 1995 with 150000 miles on it. Runs great and has had no problems offroad. Good for budget minded off roaders. Cheap to lift too. Slow 4cyl. Big tires with a 4 cylinder is a bad idea. If you can buy a inline 6, if you can't don't plan on much highway driving. don't think the inline 4 gets better mileage."

Jeep

By on Friday, February 17, 2012

"We just bought a 1990 Jeep Wrangler.. Got a really good deal on it. I bought it for my husband as a gift. It is perfect for him to fish and hunt and just be a man in!! he loves it and i am glad we bought it!!"

most fun you can have

By on Wednesday, September 17, 2008

"I have only owned my 93 yj for 3 months, but I can tell you that this is the best vehicle that I have ever owned. It is not by any means a fast or comfortable truck. But if you want something that can go anywhere and do anything this is the best purchase around. I have owned numerous vehicles and I will say that I will take this anyday over all the others. The good, Always get looks from people, Nothing like taking the top off and driving around on a sunny day. (don't forget the sunblock). Great to take to the icecream palor with the family. The Bad, Not very comfortable, (it is a jeep). Not great speed (Once again this is a jeep). But it is a all around great vehicle to drive. I would tell any one to go out a get themselves a jeep."

Tough & Simple

By on Monday, November 17, 2008

"I have ownned my 94 Wrangler for three years. I bought it used with 120,000 miles on it and have put another 14,000 on it. 2.5l 4cyl, 5 speed. Never once gave me any problems. Easy to service and maintain. Pull my 15 foot fiberglass fishing boat or snowmobile trailer very well. At first I thought I would buy a 6 cyl but after ownning this 4 cyl I would buy another. 20 mpg highway. It is the most fun vehicle I have ever ownned and being in my 50's I have owned a lot of vehicles."

Great Jeep

By on Monday, October 26, 2009

"I've had my Jeep Wrangler Rio Grande for eight years. I took the 31" tires off it soon as I got it and put the stock treads back on. I added a 9000lb winch and a Sure-Pull rear hitch. It has the 2.5 four banger with the manual 5 speed. With the proper tackle I've rescued two ditched suburbans and one Trooper laying on it's side in a creek. Off road adventure is not about horse power but gearing. The Army M-151A1 "Jeeps", before the HUMMER, all had 4 cylinder engines carried four GIs and yanked a quarter ton trailer. I love my Wrangler and will never sell it. If you take care of them, they will take you where you want to go and bring you back. It's a shame they have ruined the Jeep since 2007."

unstoppable legend

By on Tuesday, January 22, 2008

"I purchased my '87 wrangler in '03 as my first car. I paid $3,400 for it with 170k miles. It came with a 2.5L 4-cylinder engine, 3" lift, 33" off-road tires, and both hard and soft tops. So far I have put over $3,000 back into it, about half of that was mandatory to keep it working. The rest was to upgrade it. At 178k the engine blew and had to be replaced. I couldn't afford to upgrade from the 4-cylinder so I had to drop the same back in. With the 33" tires, it doesn't go very fast, 55mph max. I have gone through 2 starters, a new battery, burnt up 2 power steering pumps, broke a slip yoke, replaced back leaf springs, clutch master cylinder, and have broken many U-joints. Since there are no drain holes in the frame it is vulnerable to rust. I have had work done on it to repair weak spots. It is one of my daily drivers and I take it off-road about once a week when it's warm. There are endless things you can do with jeeps to customize them! Everyone's is different. I have added a rock crawling bumper, an 8,000 pound winch, skid plates, auxillery lights, CB radio, a new soft top, took out my carpet and hurculined the floor for easy clean up. Older jeeps are built like a rock. I hit a car broadside doing 35 and drove away with only a bent fender and bumper both of which just pulled back out. Anything I put it through, it can handle. Its simple design makes it easy for repairs. Most can be done by yourself with a little help from a repair manual. They're great for a daily driver, fun for toppless cruising, getting through bad weather, and legendary for off-roading. I love my Jeep and will never get rid of it."

Awesome Fun and some Practicality

By on Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Pros: "Fun to Drive, Easy to Fix, Great in snow/offroad"

Cons: "Not really comfortable for long drives"

"Bought this jeep new and drive it almost daily. Have had very few problems and it's very simple to work on when you do. Great fun off road and around town. Outward visibility is great. and you can park this thing anywhere. Power isn't bad, but the power band is all on the low end - really not designed for speeds over say 65. Handling is actually pretty good on mountain roads, but it's a wrangler and straight line tracking isn't a strong point. Probably the one of the worst vehicles you can drive on an interstate - the sound is deafening and things happen fast - it will change lanes on you if you aren't paying attention every second. The Rio Grande trim level does add some comfort and convenience features, but this is not a vehicle you want to drive all day long - it will beat you up. However the fun factor is very high and it is unstoppable in deep snow and off road."

Best bang for your buck

By on Tuesday, July 27, 2010

"I have a '91 renegade 4.0 5 speed. I haven't owned it long but I will say I have driven from Vegas to Bakersfield, ca. 3 times this month and once to needles. No worries the entire trip. Mind you Big Red has 312,000 miles on her and has definitely been rode hard and put away soaked. I'll never own anything else, ever!!"

Reliable

By on Saturday, November 22, 2008

"I purchased my '92 Wrangler used about 11 years ago. I have put 132,000 miles on it, for a total of 153,000 miles. To date, I have only had to replace the battery and the water pump. The water pump was easy to replace and only cost about $30. While replacing the water pump I replaced the water hoses and radiator. I chose to replace the radiator because the tabs holding on the tank were beginning to corrode. The radiator cost $190. I have been very happy with my Jeep and plan to keep it for many years to come. I would recommend this vehical because it is reliable, very easy to work on, and the parts are reasonably priced."

Reliable vehicle - quality drivetrane, enjoyed 4wd

By on Friday, November 08, 2013

Pros: "Good price, 4wd fun, good in snow, safe"

Cons: "Poor comfort & interior , gas economy."

"Pro's: Vehicle reliability, 4.0L engine MFI, 5spd. transmission,transfer case, clutch, 4wd long lasting. Good in snow and basically what vehicle designed for. Cons's: Poor fuel economy,Cheap interior components and door handles. Not that comfortable. Vehicle used for 4wd offroad applications, but axles are weak dana 30 and 35. Should be atleast dana 44 with options for dana 60. My vehicle was heavily modified with upgraded engine and supercharger. Also made axle,suspension,and other upgrades. Part houses catering to upgrades for older Jeeps and parts availability are good."

Love my Jeep!!

By on Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, get noticed, great during the summer"

Cons: "Winter a bit chilly, top tears, zippers break"

"In 1998 I bought my first Jeep!!! I did not realize how much I would actually love it!! Now 14 years and I still have my Jeep!!! It is amazing... It has had very few problems and my mechanic does not see me much... Except when he sees me on the road going somewhere... Over the years I've had many people tell me they want to buy my Jeep.... I say, It's not for sale... The only thing that could part me from my Jeep is if it gets totaled in an accident... It's fun to drive and sure to get you noticed... I rate it as a perfect score... Out of all the vehicles I've owned, the Jeep is the best and my favorite!!!"

Great Cheap 4x4 - Solid Jeep

By on Thursday, December 08, 2011

Reason: Bought newer Wrangler

Pros: "lower cost, offroad capable, upgrades, top(s)"

Cons: "rust, previous owners, not fast fast fast...lol"

Jeep vs. Snow = you win.

"Traded a Civic for the 94 Wrangler. Lifted it (suspension, not body) and put 31's under it. Daily drove it until I bought a TJ. The 2.5L motor is reliable as a stone yet underpowered for this chassis. Highway driving is ok at 55 but freeways and big hills at speed are a challenge. Regearing can work wonders. Still, at low speeds and offroad it proves it's worth. Transmission with the 4cyl is the venerable AX5, kinda weak, 5th gear is commonly not working thanks to a poorly designed C clip, not expensive to fix but a pain in the butt. 5th is basically an overdrive anyway so cruising in 4th is comfortable...no worries. Generally the manual is better than the automatic. 4cyl w/ auto trans is the slowest, weakest, most dogged, least reliable setup you can buy for YJ's. YJ's with the 4.0L and AX15 are optimal. Much more tolerable, powerful, and reliable. Swaps are very common for 350 V8's, 4.0L, stroker motors, etc. Interior is always spartan but very functional, usable. Rather cold with the soft top/half doors. Add a rollbar curtain to keep the heat by the front seats. Hard top/doors really helps keep you warm. If you are expecting anything other than a Jeep in terms of ride/comfort/etc, go buy another type of vehicle. This era Wrangler is almost totally utilitarian. I loved mine. Dana 30 and 35 axles are good for up to 33" tires. Beyond that, consider D44's. Things to look out for: rust holes in frame (esp rear shackle mount), rust on body, bent/damaged axles, shoddy modifications, excessive offroad abuse/neglect. Ladies love Wranglers. Just FYI...gents."

Jeep vs. Snow = you win.

By on Tuesday, June 03, 2008

"Bought this when I was young and dumb. Now I am switching to a small truck because I want something comfortable. I have taken it off road several times and it out performed other vehicles with me, and mudding quite a few times... But now I end up driving on 1400 mile one way trips and it is just too terribly uncomfortable especially with the windows down to stay cool. AC is a waist on it, too much heat coming up from the tranny and engine and too many air leaks with no insulation. Driving it though the mountains on the highway when you are fully loaded down and you will be right there in the slow lane going 40 mph, and I have the 6 cylinder. Brakes are way underpowered for a full load and 32 inch tires though. Still I love the thing to death and will still keep it. A truck will just get me better millage and be considerable less noisy and much more comfortable for long trips."

So Reliable

By on Saturday, February 18, 2012

Pros: "It's Fun To Drive In!"

Cons: "Kind Of Noisy"

"It is a great car. I bought it in '93 and it's still running great!"

BEEP BEEP

By on Tuesday, May 10, 2011

"Amazing vehicle, and at the age it is at, parts are easy to find, and it's still old enough to be easy to work on. On a sunny day it is a pleasure to drive, and on a rainy one it's a driving experience. While the Jeep is not a practical vehicle, I would not trade it for anything. It's fun to drive, and at 191,000 miles, it couldn't be more reliable."

Rough Rider

By on Friday, November 12, 2010

"I have had a 1995 Jeep Wrangler for only a matter of months, but there are some things that I can say for certain. The first is that you should not buy an older jeep wrangler if you are looking for a smooth, quiet, comfortable ride. The vehicle has leaf springs in the front and back so you feel every bump in the road and there is little to no sound proofing so it can be quite noisy. While the wrangler is a less than ideal on-road vehicle and impractical for use as a commuter car (gets roughly 16mpg city, 19mpg highway) it is definitely a lot of fun to take off-road and is a blast with the top down in the summer. It is also quite useful in the snow if you are from New England like I am or if you live in the snowy Mid-west. The bottom line is that you should not buy a 1995 Wrangler as a primary vehicle since it can be uncomfortable to ride in and gets poor gas mileage, but it makes a great secondary vehicle for weekend fun."

Reliable favorite Vehicle

By on Monday, September 28, 2009

"This Jeep has been the most reliable vehicle with the fewest problems I have ever had. This 4 cylinder gives me 22minimum ethanol - 28 max mpg regular gas. Working the 5 speed transmission is required if heavy loaded or going up very steep hills, but highway speeds on the interstate at 75 - 80 mph is eazy ride. I don't think you can go wrong on it. Mine is worth more now than when I bought it five yrs ago. How many vehicle do that?"

By on Tuesday, May 12, 2009

"I've had my '95 for 9 years now. It has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. No major mechanical problems at all, just normal wear. I've flipped it on its side and it barely had a scratch. It is NOT for someone who's looking for a comfortable ride or a quiet interior."

Its a Jeep, How can you not love it???

By on Tuesday, September 09, 2008

"Got mine from an insurance total sale. Built it back up and love every moment with it."

unmatched

By on Friday, April 18, 2008

"I have jeeps all my life after owning jeeps there are no substitutes for it's off road capibilitys. never meating nother jeep stranger after buying a wrangler or cj it's like buying into a family with a long history. a bit of history on my personal yj Wrangler I've ownened it for 9 years and racking up 279,675 miles 2 tuneups and changing the oil every 3000 miles have not replaced not 1 part on the engine."

Dependable Jeep

By on Tuesday, February 19, 2008

"Very happy with my small utilities before family grew and they had to go. Got 110k on '95 and 120k on '87. Purchased new in '95 and had a few assembly issues (cracked injector line, heater fan bearing, defog relay, oil leak) but got all fixed. Mostly hiway miles in northwest, southwest, and Hawaii. Replaced tires at 65k, muffler/ converter at 85k, fan belt at 85k, and brakes at 100k. Nothing else needed but alignments, rotations, fluids and filters. Had similar luck with '87 (also hiway miles) (replaced belts and water pump at 105k). Can attest that, taken car of, the '87-'95 models CAN (not WILL) get at least 120-140k miles before requiring significant repairs. Kept track of both after sold and they continued to serve well (although '87 started requiring more significant repairs around 140k). Chrysler/ Jeep made significant improvements in transmission, engine, and brakes '93-95 likely best bets for the square-headlight models."

Still going strong

By on Tuesday, December 18, 2007

"bought this jeep in 93 new and it is like a fine tuned watch , always dependable with 260,000 miles and one heck of an off road machine. I'm going to try to hit the 300,000 mark with no major rebuilds."

off road fun

By on Friday, August 03, 2007

"I've owned my 1990 wrangler since 2001 and I love it! I've had offers to buy it, and people trying to sell me other jeeps, but I plan to drive mine till it stops. I used it for a daily driver for 5 yrs. but I now I have a small car (saves on gas) to rack up the miles, and drive the Jeep when I want to have fun, or in bad weather. I sometimes call it the "Tank" because it just doesn't stop! If you are looking for a quiet, smooth ride, with lots of room, you might be dissapointed. But if cargo space is not an issue, you like the wind in your hair, strangers waiving at you, and giving other drivers on the trail a complex, then you need to try a jeep. At first glance they all look the same, but if you are in the market for one, just remember they have lots of options and upgrates. So shop around and drive more than one, so you get exactly what you want. Then you might drive your's to it's grave too!"

Love My Jeep

By on Tuesday, July 24, 2007

"I love my jeep!!! We have had this thing forever and have had little trouble out of it. Its not the fastest thing i've driven but its one of the most fun. Mine has 180,000 miles on it and it still runs strong. I think it the hotest car you can buy for under 20,000 brand-new."

I'll never let it go

By on Sunday, March 03, 2013

Pros: "Takes me places I couldn't get to otherwise."

Cons: "Low MPG"

"I bought my 94 YJ 6 cyl in 98. I put 4" lift, 33s, slip yoke eliminator and Slickrock shackle brackets on the front. I took the sway bars off, front and back for better articulation. Besides that it is stock, and I have gone places you would not believe. From the desert of Texas to the mountains of Colorado and the trails of Moab, Utah. Stock axles and no lockers, and it climbed up rocks in Moab I would not have believed if I hadn't been there. I'm not a mud guy so I can't say anything on that. I have had a lot of people try to buy it from me, but I won't let it go."