• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2014 Jeep Patriot Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $15,792 - $16,151.

10/5.3

8.3

Based on 383 Ratings for the 2007 - 2014 models.

let it snow, let it snow

By on Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Pros: "2nd week I owned it -16 and fired right up"

Cons: "wish it did not have carpet so I could hose it out"

colorado spings winter wounder land

"I have owned thus 2014 Jeep Patriot for 6 months and it is no nonsense SUV that will take me wherever I want to go; moreover, It truly is an all-purpose vehicle without all of the bells and whistles. Last week I drove it non stop for 800 miles each way and it was comfortable and got about 27 miles per gal. It is in the top 3 of the least expensive autos to insure."

colorado spings winter wounder land

Very Reliabe Vehicle. Best Vehicle Ever

By on Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Pros: "Great gas mileage. Easy to Drive Handles Great."

Cons: "It does not have Power Windows or Doors."

"I love my Jeep Patriot. It has a Split Shift Transmission which makes it cheaper on Gas. Even though it is very cheap on Gas anyway. I had never took my Jeep any father than a 160 mile Round Trip. I left out of here back in October 2013 and went to Florida in it. I never had a problem with it. It took me on average $50.00 in Gas There and Back. I would recommend any type of Jeep to anyone. I love A JEEP."

Terrible warranty, terrible engineering...

By on Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable, good on gas"

Cons: "Eats tires, front end needs work 24/7."

"I purchased this Jeep brand new in 2008, I drove it from Northern NY to Colorado and back three months after I purchased it, and drove it for one year back and forth to work 52 miles each way, five days a week. Otherwise it was only driven approximately 2 miles a day during the week and occasional local trips within 50 miles on weekends. I have faithfully had the oil changed, and had it serviced when necessary. The CONS: I have had to purchase a set of tires a year, had the front end replaced entirely, and have had three sets of balljoints put on the front end since I purchased it. I've also had a tie rod, and some sort of stabilizer arm replaced also. This thing eats tires like Cookie Monster eats macaroons. I have them rotated as recommended by the manufacturer, and finally put a different size on, as recommended by my local tire place, and those tires lasted me two years. At almost $200 a tire, it makes for a steep expense yearly. The tires always wear in the inside, specifically on the front tires, but since I have them rotated regularly, I have to replace all four. The stereo will NOT work in subzero temperatures, and never has since the first winter I owned it. If the mercury drops below -10, the weather has to warm up at least 10 degrees before the stereo will work, even if you leave it on the night before. Just a quirk for me, but a VERY annoying one. I will NEVER purchase a Jeep product again. The front end replacement came out of my pocket, despite the fact that it was within 16 months of purchasing the vehicle, as the manufacturer insisted there was no factory defect. I have more than $8000 in this car, after purchase price in parts, labor, and that doesn't include that someone side swiped me and I had to replace the mirror. The PROS: It's GREAT on gas, I averaged upwards of 34 miles a gallon while traveling across country. It's still great on gas today. I can fill it once a month and drive it around town daily and not have to worry about filling it again til the following month, but I usually top it off whenever it gets to 3/4 of a tank. It's comfortable to ride in. I have degenerative disk disease and three ruptured disks, and I have to admit, this is one vehicle that I can ride in the front or back seats without having to get out and walk around to loosen up my back. It heats up fast in winter. I live in an area where it's usually subzero temps from mid December until March, and I never have to worry about a cold car. It has NEVER not started for me. I've replaced the battery once. Other than the front end, and eating tires this vehicle is great."

Transmission went out at 1,437 miles

By on Saturday, May 24, 2014

Pros: "Good gas milage (what little I got to drive it)"

Cons: "Transmission issues"

"I bought this vehicle in March 2014. At 1,437, smoke poured from under the vehicle. Pulled over and trans fluid was all over the vehicle. Had it towed to the dealer. So far the shop has replace the gasket in the transmission, the transmission pump, and now they have had to order the Power Transfer Unit. Vehicle has been in the shop for 22 days straight now. Va Lemon Law become effective at 30 calendar days. It will be interesting to see how Jeep/Chrysler handles this."

Great purchase

By on Thursday, May 22, 2014

Pros: "Decent price, easy to drive, easy to keep clean"

Cons: "Might want it to get better mileage"

"This vehicle backs very well. Has a great turning radius. Sits well, plenty of room on the back for the product I need for me job. A/C works fine, sound is decent. LOVE the Bluetooth. I have not tried the 4x4, but I have had Jeeps before, and I know that it will be great."

Could have been better

By on Thursday, May 08, 2014

"I have a few concens about the 2013 Jeep Patriot. From day one the brakes have squeeked. Have had trouble with all four Windows."

Verry Happy but its expensive

By on Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Pros: "great for winter, spacious interior"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"If you plan on financing a jeep, put some money down. I am happy with this jeep, yes its not the greatest on gas mileage but you have to expect that with a 4WD sometimes. No major repairs yet and approaching 3 years. Great in snow and in rain!! I dont load massive items but the interior is spacious and worth the money."

2014 Jeep Patriot Sport

By on Wednesday, May 07, 2014

"Wasnt in the market for a new car but when i drove the Patriot i fell in love with it! I really dont understand all the bad reviews from the car experts. Plenty of room good driving height for me tons of headroom too. Fold down the back seats and you get 6 feet of space! Cant beat it for the gas mileage either. 21 city and 28 highway for a SUV with lots of space. Ill be driving my Patriot for many many years to come."

Unstable issues on wet freeways or night driving

By on Saturday, May 03, 2014

Cons: "Something seems wrong with the suspension."

"Have owned a jeep earlier in my life and saved 20 years for another one. Purchased on 11/13 a 2014. 12/13 returned to shop complaining about pulls to the right, rough steering and a sense of drifting on the hwy or on rainy corners. Rotated tires, no good. 2 months later cross rotated tires. So on dry, sunny days it steers a straight line down the hwy/freeway which it did not do before, but on wet days or heat exchanges on the hwy (hot days to cool nights creates air pockets) it bounces all over like it has a suspension issue and frankly is unnerving. I am afraid to drive this jeep long distances or after dark. After awhile of fighting the steering, I am exhausted and at times feel light headed. Keenly upset as this was the car of my dreams and I have really no cash flow to correct the issue - and I paid for all of the jeep upfront. Tearful and stressed."

Nice...

By on Saturday, April 26, 2014

Pros: "Practical...easy on gas"

Cons: "Front seat not safe when a baby seat is in..."

"Traded in a 2008 Cadillac CTS - so glad I did! Love the ride better than Cadillac! I bought it new - never had a problem other than squeaky brakes! They did replace a brake arm - supposably. Did not fix the noise...so I keep traveling. When I hit the gas, it pulls to the right - did it during the test ride too...maybe because of the CVS transmission? It does slag power on hard acceleration. Baby seat in the back seat and the passenger in the front with knees are on the dash. I don't think this would be safe if the air bag would deploy. Not comfotable either. Fantasic to use during moving. Particularly if you don't use boxes! Takes me 3 hours to pack in all the space. It does ok for the simple conviences..2 cup holders in front...use the door handle for the cell phone. It works."

Great value, great "city" Jeep

By on Thursday, April 17, 2014

Pros: "Value, style, 4WD system"

Cons: "Fuel economy and cruising range. Resale value."

"When my XJ finally died, I was in a fix. I hated all the "euro" creased crossovers that have flooded the market and wanted a real looking Jeep. But the Wrangler was too impractical for me and the GC was a little more than I wanted to spend since I drive 7,000 miles a year. So the Pat was perfect. Yes, it is heavy on the plastic inside. It cost like 18k so I don't know what people expect. Handles well enough, good in bad weather and snow. Fuel economy is so-so, and it is exacerbated by the small fuel tank. It wouldn't seem so bad if I had 20 gallons of fuel at a time. As such @ 13 gallons, you can't get even get 300 miles to a tank."

Avoid

By on Friday, April 04, 2014

Pros: "great traction, fun in the snow"

Cons: "reliability, interior, trunk smaller than car"

"Not total junk but: Interior layout very inconvenient if you have anything more than a drink to stow while driving. My mp3 player sits on the passenger seat while I drive. Hard to see from inside, lots of blind spots. Drive is bumpy, ok, i get it, it is a jeep, but this jeep is low on power considering the gas usage (19 in the city) and too low ground clearance to really off road. I have two kids, one in a car seat, which requires the front passenger put their seat forward so it will fit behind them. The trunk is very small. This thing is unstoppable in snow, which is awesome and primarily why I bought it. The interior is just too small. there are other small AWD and 4X4 SUV's with more usable space inside. I have a sport edition 2010 with 2.4 liter engine and automatic transmission. Suspension parts replaced once under manufacturer warranty, once under aftermarket warranty. Recently with 40k miles, throttle assembly failed and literally left me broke down by the side of the road. a 3.5 year old car with 40k mileage. Again, aftermarket warranty fixed it, i just paid my $100 deductable. All I do is drive to and from work. all paved roads. you get what you pay for. these are cheaper to buy, sort of, but expensive to maintain. next vehicle won't be made by the GM, Chryler collapsing business model. Sorry. I have small kids. getting stranded at night is ridiculous in a normal mileage car."

very pleased with this jeep

By on Thursday, March 27, 2014

"very good 4wd - great gas mileage @ 22.5 (summer gas()city. BEST hvac system in any vehicle ever owned (30+). comfortable seating. nice ergonomics interior. no repairs. needs opening tailgate glass and re-positioned 4wd lever"

Wonderful Jeep

By on Sunday, March 23, 2014

Reason: time for upgrade

Pros: "It works! Reliable, good MPG"

Cons: "Seat quality, heavy plastic use in interior"

"I owned a 2007 Jeep Patriot, Had the tie rods and one wheel barring changed at 80,000 miles, other than than that never had a problem, handle well seemed to get better MPG in town than on the highway, roomy for tall people, only interior complaint was the center armrest, and the seat padding wore out quickly, then again how many people put 119,000 miles on a vehicle in 3 years!"

Most reliable car owned, great control with 5-spd

By on Friday, March 14, 2014

Pros: "Reliability, fun to drive, > 30 MPG, low maint!"

Cons: "Stiff ride"

"Reliable, economical (>30 mpg highway), great handling, convenient hauler due to box like interior, just great basic Jeep. I have UNLIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY from Chrysler but never had a problem with Trans/Engine. I am purchasing 2014 Patriot, testimony to my description."

Great car!

By on Saturday, March 01, 2014

Pros: "Cargo space, basic ammenities come standard"

Cons: "Rough ride, but anyone with an SUV should expect"

"I purchased this car new in 2008 and loved every minute of it. Only had a few small problems, notably with the wheel bearings around 50k miles. It's not a smooth ride like you get with most sedans, but I expected that coming from a Wrangler. Patriot still has the traditional Jeep styling. Seats are very easy to fold down to haul things. I could fit my 8' kayak inside the Patriot (how many small SUV's can say that?!) The Patriot comes standard with the basic features I need, A/C, power windows/lock, remote entry. The best feature is the outlet on the center console to plug in electronics without the car adapter. Using the "slap-stick" really hepls save gas and the stabilty control kept me out of the ditches of NW Ohio in the winter snow & ice. If you want a durable vehicle with basic conveniences for a great price, this is the car for you!"

30,000 miles & one small shop visit

By on Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Pros: "great snow small SUV, room for 4 and 2 dogs"

Cons: "Not much wish I had leather seats & ipod dock"

"I have had one small problem with a rubber bushing in the back left, tires needed to be replaced at 28,000. Just using the FWD not engaging the 4WD is enough for 90% of snow driving. Good fuel avg 23 MPG. Drove 3000 miles in one trip last year avg 25 MPG with a loaded Jeep."

Much Better Vehicle Than I thought It Would Be

By on Friday, February 14, 2014

Pros: "Great CUV for the money. Best deal out there!"

"Jeep has really improved itself. I was not a Chrysler guy before but this Patriot has sold me. My wife bought a 200 convertible and it is excellent too. Very good quality from both cars. Jeep gets a constant 25mpg and most all my driving has been in town. Three and a half years and 25k miles and not one problem!"

Excellent vehicle

By on Saturday, February 08, 2014

Pros: "Most value for your money!"

Cons: "None I have found in 5 years!"

"Low maintenance cost, sensitive steering (no wandering), dependable, comfortable and smooth ride - not jerky, interior devices within easy reach of driver. I am spoiled to the CVT transmission with NO jerks at gear changes because it does not change gears...it's belts. This is the most value I've ever had from a vehicle!"

great in the snow dosnt get stuck runs great

By on Saturday, February 01, 2014

Pros: "verry nice and reliable"

Cons: "too many buttons on the stering wheel"

"great in the snow very powerfull dosnt get stuck always starts up runs great and handels just as well its worth every penny you wont be dissapointed"

I would buy another one.

By on Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, good cargo & leg rm."

Cons: "moon roof noisy when open"

"The problems I have had with vehicle have been operator errors or just wear and tear, new brakes, new battery, new tires. As it reaches its 100,000 mark, it will be needing new shocks. It has been very comfortable to drive and ride in. Good space for cargo, long legged individuals and good head room. Easy to park. The 4WD has gotten me home under some really nasty conditions. I live on a hill and logging roads, no pavement. My tall husband liked mine well enough to buy a newer one when his Toyota finally died at 260K miles. It would be nice if it got better milage but 25mpg combined milage is ok."

love my 2008 Patriot

By on Monday, January 20, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "can be difficult reaching into back from front sea"

"Runs nice, roomy, great for road trips."

Stay away!!! Buyer Beware!!

By on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Pros: "Looks nice, enough space to cart my kids"

Cons: "Loud, sluggish and cheaply made."

"I do not see how the average is 8/10. I have spoken to a few Pat owners and like me, they have had nothing but issues with their Jeep. I have had sooo many problems while under warranty and the dealer could not diagnose problem- at 8000 miles my axles went. Chrysler dealer had to get corporate involved and open a "star case", this went on for awhile and I had to drive it while worrying what it was. This was fixed at aprox. 18,000-19,000 miles! I had to have a fuel tank replaced. I had to replace a strut and control arm, I had to replace all four tires because of it, I also had the power steering pump replaced, plus the idler pulley. Now, it's my sway bar links... Caused by the axles again, that now I have to pay part of the cost because dealer won't fully acknowledge. I really do not have much positive things to say, other than it is a nice dark grey color. It is cheaply made and I so wish I did not listen to a family member and wish I listen to my husband and spent the extra monthly payment to get the honda. I bet I would not be going through this. Beware people, I won't be buying anything made by Chrysler again. What a hassle and stressful way to buy a NEW vehicle. I will probably be spending so much money just so it will last the life of the loan. I don't think it's a reliable vehicle- LEMON."

Unhappy with my Vehicle Choice

By on Monday, January 13, 2014

Pros: "4 wheel drive, looks sleek"

Cons: "too many problems, expensive to fix"

"I purchased my Jeep Patriot in November 2012. The car had one previous owner and had about 67,000 when I got it. I had reviewed the report on the car, prior to purchasing it. The previous owner had kept up on recommended maintenance, and there had been no major issues with it. About three months after purchasing the Patriot, I began noticing a horrible knocking, rattling noise that would occur on the front end ever time I hit a slight bump. I figured the suspension may be bad, which is an unfortunate problem, but is normal wear and tear. Long story short, it's been a little over a year since I got the Patriot and I have put about five thousand into it. I regret ever having purchase it. I had the suspension replaced at about 70,000 miles. I also had a wheel bearing replaced and alignment done at 71,000. I had a CV axle and drive shaft replaced at 73,000. These are all unpleasant repairs. And, yeah, they may be considered "normal wear and tear," but extremely expensive and painful nonetheless. Besides the "normal wear and tear" repairs, my transmission failed at about 74,000. Luckily, I had purchased a power train warrantee from the dealership, which covered all but $100 of the cost to replace the transmission. Otherwise, I would have had to figure out how to come up with around $3,500. Around the same time the transmission went out, the alternator went out. That was a $700 fix which was not covered under warrantee. After having the suspension, a drive shaft, a wheel baring, a CV axle, and an engine shield replaced, the Patriot is still making a horrible scraping, clunking noise every single time I hit a bump. I have put so much money into this vehicle. I have had more problems with it than any other car I have ever owned. I would have sold it long ago, but unfortunately, I owe about $3,000 more on it than it is even worth. So I am pretty much stuck with the thing for a while. I wish I would never have purchased this Jeep Patriot. I greatly regret ever having gotten it."

fix windshield

By on Monday, January 06, 2014

Pros: "much more comfortable than a car"

Cons: "windshield is too shallow"

"Very comfortable ride. Reliable and easy to use. 4wd is a snap. Like radio controls on steering wheel although it's easy to change stations by accident when taking a corner. Only real complaint is windshield. It doesn't go up high enough to see traffic signals. I'm always leaning forward in an awkward manner to see when light turns green."