2013 Jeep Patriot Consumer Reviews

I like it more everytime I drive it!

By on Saturday, August 25, 2012

Pros: "Smooth, reliable, fun to drive."

Cons: "Lack of torque from a stop"

"I upgraded from a 2007 Chevy Cobalt to my 2010 Jeep Patriot FD1 in 9/2011. I've driven all types of vehicles from pickup trucks to passenger, sport and muscle cars to small and large SUV's. PROS: After having it for a year, I continue to enjoy and increase my enjoyment evertime I drive my little Patriot. I love the mileage, and though not great, better than any V6 SUV I've driven while keeping myself in an American car. It performs well on the highway with a smooth ride. With the CVT, the feelings of the vehicle shifting are non-existent, making it comfortable driving around town where any other car will be changing gears up and down constantly. The ESC (Electronic Stability Control) keeps it on the road in icy/snow conditions. I've purposely tried to spin the vehicle out unsuccessfully in some of our heavy Colorado Snowstorms - though I still drive with care. Cargo room is great, passenger space is wonderful, head room is great. Independent Suspension makes for a wonderful ride in the city where potholes are abundant. CONS: OEM tires are really noisy on the road, I suggest upgrading to something with less road noise. Low-End torque is a bit lacking from a stop. It feels a bit sluggish merging into traffic, but isn't a huge deal. The size of the vehicle compared to the motor leaves a lot of room under the hood, which is nice when you want to get at stuff. But, they should have used some more of this abundance of space by making the Patriot a 2.6L or 2.8L I-4 to give it a bit more pickup & go. The layout of the windshield makes seeing overhead stop lights difficult, but again not something that is a huge deal. Does not have a full-size spare tire. CVT is at times noisier than traditional transmissions. Makes getting up to speed a bit louder, but once you are cruising, it is smooth & quiet. I do wonder about long-term reliability of the CVT because they have only recently begun to be used in Production vehicles. But the CVT was invented over 100 years ago, so the concept is not new. I wish they had standard tinted windows. Should have made power driver seat standard. OVERALL: Overall, I really love this little Jeep. It wasn't too expensive, and is a great alternative for someone who wants to not sit on the asphalt behind big trucks with headlights shining through the mirrors from behind in your eyes, but doesn't want the negatives of a large SUV. I suggest avoiding the front-wheel drive only version. Get at least the AWD/4WD 2.4L FD1 if you want to get the best value. Upgrde to the 2.4L FD2 for increased offroad-ability offering the added 19:1 Low Gear for those tough trails. Great for a city-goer who needs a smaller car to fit in those tight parking lots. Also a good option for travelers who want to save money on gas, but want to have enough room for the wife, kid(s) and family dog. Great for people who live in areas that experience harsh winters. This little Patriot will get you where you want to go with no worries about getting stuck with the added ability of light to medium off road capabilities."

I am So Happy!!

By on Wednesday, July 18, 2007

"The only thing I wish is that the gas tank would had been larger. Gas does not last long because of the small tank. Therefore, more trips to the gas station. Other than that - PERFECT for the budget conscious driver!!!"

WAS my favorite car but let me down at 75,000

By on Monday, October 17, 2011

Pros: "interior space, all-weather driving, handling"

Cons: "poorly built electrical system, hood hard to open"

"I bought this Jeep new in 2007. I've been buckled into a Jeep ever since I was in a car seat. My last Jeep was a 1991 Cherokee Sport that would probably still have outlasted this one. This Patriot was fantastic for moving from apartment to apartment - the low profile made it easy to load things onto the roof rack, and I could fit a dresser, surf boards, you-name-it in the back. I drove it up and down the east coast, from Maine to the Keys, all without a hiccup. The turning radius allowed me to u-turn way better than previous Jeeps It got me to work and home during blizzards and I even slept in it. But at 75,000, things went sour. I started having major electrical issues, leaving me broken down in the middle of busy intersections. Chrysler took over a week even to figure out what was wrong with it. I've now replaced 2 different computer modules. The worst part is that I was just 2,900 over the warranty boundary! $2,000 later, I'm heartbroken that I find myself shopping for a more reliable car. :'("

1. My Information

* indicates required field.

Do not use your full name or email address; your privacy is important to us.

Location

2. My Rating

Use sliders to change values.

3. My Review

(e.g., best vehicle ever!) *

(Please no personal or dealership information or offensive language.) *

Not LikelyVery Likely

click & drag!
(e.g., great price, fun to drive)
(e.g., no cup holders)
Tips for Writing Reviews
Avoid:
  • Offensive or suggestive comments
  • Telling customers to shop elsewhere

Focus on:
  • The vehicle and your experience with it
  • Specific features of the vehicle
  • What's great about it? What's not so great?

4. My Uploads

Add photo (up to 5MB)

Uploading Photo....

upload successful! Remove
(e.g., Driving with the top down!)

Guidelines for Uploading Photos
  • Only one photo, up to 5MB
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • All photos must be your own
  • No nudity or obscene content
  • Inappropriate photos will cause your entire review to be rejected
Add video (only one allowed)
(paste the URL from your video on YouTube.)
(e.g., See it in action!)
Guidelines for Uploading Video
  • Maximum length: 5 minutes
  • No nudity or obscene content
  Important:
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • Write a caption
  • Upload your video to YouTube
  • Stick to the rules - so your review & video get published.

5. Notify Me

Please send me an email when my review is posted

I'd like to receive useful tips, tools and resources via email from Kelley Blue Book.