• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2012 Jeep Patriot

8.3

Based on 390 Ratings for the 2007 - 2015 models.

The TIMEX of SUVs - Takes a lickin-keeps on tickin

By on Tuesday, September 09, 2014

Pros: "Great value. Simple to maintain. Always reliable."

Cons: "A tad noisey. Not as nimble or quick as a BMW."

"This is the TIMEX of Compact SUVs - It takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. I have the 70th Anniversary Edition Version, so it has nicer trim - leather, floor mats, sound system, etc. At its core, however, it is a simple no-nonsense vehicle. The instruments and controls are simple, intuitive and all easy to access and operate. The seats are a bit thin on padding but not uncomfortable. Front and back seating are just fine for four. I compared this to a newer Ford Edge which seemed nicer, but was more cramped, but had a much busier, more confusing dash. And a much higher sticker. This proved to be reliable (bullet-proof!) transportation through the harshest Michigan winter in my 42 years of driving here. Would I prefer a BMW X1 or an Audi if I could afford one? Sure. Is this Jeep an incredible value for the money, and a vehicle I can count on anytime under any condition? Absolutely!!"

Great buy for my first New car ever!

By on Saturday, September 06, 2014

Pros: "Decent gas mileage, nice options, good 4wd"

Cons: "Key built into remote, Gauges could be improved."

"Jeep made an SUV affordable and with decent quality. Has every available needed options and is simple. Power windows, power locks and A/C. The only thing I would request if I could would be to make the keyless entry remote separate from the key and the Temp gauge separate from the mileage so you can see both at once. Otherwise this Jeep is spot on for a Great quality Low priced 4wd SUV"

Great vehicle for driving around town

By on Thursday, August 21, 2014

Pros: "Roomy, great interior, smooth ride"

Cons: "No get up and go, no grab-bars."

"This vehicle has an awful transmission. The CVT sounds like it is screaming in pain when going up steep grades. Maintining the speed limit for long distance uphill driving is not possible. I must rent a car to go out of town. Only about 22 mpg; not so good for a 4 cylinder."

DO NOT BUY ANY YEAR PATRIOT WITH CVT TRANSMISSION!

By on Friday, August 01, 2014

Pros: "Reliability issues completely overshadow any Pros"

Cons: "Transmission is total junk and unsafe"

"I am the original owner of this vehicle. Yes it has 140k miles on it, but I was just told that I would have to have the transmission replaced for the 3RD TIME. Previous 2 replacements were under warranty, but replaced with 'rebuilt' transmissions w/ only 12-yr 12k mile warranty. Now Chrysler Jeep says they won't replace it because the defect is on an "external" part of the transmission without fluids. Was on freeway, trans temp light came on, and suddenly without warning computer took control of the car and abruptly slowed the car down to 40 MPH WITH TRAFFIC BEARING DOWN AT 70 - 80 MPH! This is a terribly unsafe 'safety' feature. Second opinion from transmission joint: "They shouldn't be selling these cars with these transmissions and they know it but continue to sell them anyways." Quoted $5k to replace transmission from 2nd party, $9k from the dealership. Car is only worth $3k. Will never buy anything from Chrysler again."

My first "new" car and I love it!

By on Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Pros: "Great in the snow,good gas mileage,easy to park"

Cons: "None yet"

"I bought my Jeep in October of last year with about 45,000 miles on it. It was owned by a guy who actually worked at the dealership. So it was very well maintained. It does have that split transmission use, but I have no clue how to use that. Last winter here in CT was HORRENDOUS with over 3 ft of snow for a few weeks. This Jeep barreled right through it. I get decent gas mileage, about 22 miles per gallon. It only costs about $50 to fill (when it is close to $4 a gallon) which is decent. So far it has been reliable, great on gas and I love how comfortable it is. I even drop the seats in the back to take my 2 dogs with me wherever I go, they love it too :)"

2013 Patriot

By on Saturday, July 19, 2014

Pros: "4wd full time, easy to clean inside and out."

Cons: "a bit noisy with road noise at highway speeds"

"11k on my Patriot. Find it to be exceptional. Good looking, all arounder. Have FD 1 and it has kept me going in the winter. I am sure there are better vehicles out there, but this is American made and doesn't break the bank"

great car

By on Monday, July 14, 2014

Cons: "side mirrors are too big"

"great in the winter"

let it snow, let it snow

By on Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Pros: "2nd week I owned it -16 and fired right up"

Cons: "wish it did not have carpet so I could hose it out"

colorado spings winter wounder land

"I have owned thus 2014 Jeep Patriot for 6 months and it is no nonsense SUV that will take me wherever I want to go; moreover, It truly is an all-purpose vehicle without all of the bells and whistles. Last week I drove it non stop for 800 miles each way and it was comfortable and got about 27 miles per gal. It is in the top 3 of the least expensive autos to insure."

colorado spings winter wounder land

Very Reliabe Vehicle. Best Vehicle Ever

By on Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Pros: "Great gas mileage. Easy to Drive Handles Great."

Cons: "It does not have Power Windows or Doors."

"I love my Jeep Patriot. It has a Split Shift Transmission which makes it cheaper on Gas. Even though it is very cheap on Gas anyway. I had never took my Jeep any father than a 160 mile Round Trip. I left out of here back in October 2013 and went to Florida in it. I never had a problem with it. It took me on average $50.00 in Gas There and Back. I would recommend any type of Jeep to anyone. I love A JEEP."

Terrible warranty, terrible engineering...

By on Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable, good on gas"

Cons: "Eats tires, front end needs work 24/7."

"I purchased this Jeep brand new in 2008, I drove it from Northern NY to Colorado and back three months after I purchased it, and drove it for one year back and forth to work 52 miles each way, five days a week. Otherwise it was only driven approximately 2 miles a day during the week and occasional local trips within 50 miles on weekends. I have faithfully had the oil changed, and had it serviced when necessary. The CONS: I have had to purchase a set of tires a year, had the front end replaced entirely, and have had three sets of balljoints put on the front end since I purchased it. I've also had a tie rod, and some sort of stabilizer arm replaced also. This thing eats tires like Cookie Monster eats macaroons. I have them rotated as recommended by the manufacturer, and finally put a different size on, as recommended by my local tire place, and those tires lasted me two years. At almost $200 a tire, it makes for a steep expense yearly. The tires always wear in the inside, specifically on the front tires, but since I have them rotated regularly, I have to replace all four. The stereo will NOT work in subzero temperatures, and never has since the first winter I owned it. If the mercury drops below -10, the weather has to warm up at least 10 degrees before the stereo will work, even if you leave it on the night before. Just a quirk for me, but a VERY annoying one. I will NEVER purchase a Jeep product again. The front end replacement came out of my pocket, despite the fact that it was within 16 months of purchasing the vehicle, as the manufacturer insisted there was no factory defect. I have more than $8000 in this car, after purchase price in parts, labor, and that doesn't include that someone side swiped me and I had to replace the mirror. The PROS: It's GREAT on gas, I averaged upwards of 34 miles a gallon while traveling across country. It's still great on gas today. I can fill it once a month and drive it around town daily and not have to worry about filling it again til the following month, but I usually top it off whenever it gets to 3/4 of a tank. It's comfortable to ride in. I have degenerative disk disease and three ruptured disks, and I have to admit, this is one vehicle that I can ride in the front or back seats without having to get out and walk around to loosen up my back. It heats up fast in winter. I live in an area where it's usually subzero temps from mid December until March, and I never have to worry about a cold car. It has NEVER not started for me. I've replaced the battery once. Other than the front end, and eating tires this vehicle is great."